The Flower Maiden

WhistyRose

It was rare for Gunter to have spare time in the evenings. Clara padded down the hall after dinner that night hoping that tonight she’d be lucky. The book that her brother left her this past visit was heavy. She came to the door that was left ajar. The tot could see the guardian as he sat in his chair, absorbed in his work. Her knocks on the door where met with silence. The redhead tootled over to attendant and pulled at his pant. Gunter tore himself from his work, he was agitated initially but his gaze melted as it met with hers.

“Good evening, little princess. What brings you here at this time of the night?” he inquired gently. Clara struggled to put the book on the desk; she stood on the tips of her toes in attempt to gain height. The knight smiled and motioned her to give him the book. She placed it in his hand carefully.

“Would you like me to read this to you?” the paladin questioned. The little girl nodded enthusiastically.

“Before we start can you be a good girl, and find the others? We wouldn’t want them to miss out on this, would we little one?” The man requested. Before the man could finish the thought the princess had already zipped out of the study, on a hunt for the others. She returned a short time later with the butler and twin maids in tow.

“is anything wrong, Gunter? Why did you as us here?” Jakob groaned. “We have some free time tonight and I figured I’d do something I haven’t in a long time, read you a story” The butler was about to say something but was cut off by a glare from the paladin. The caretaker sat in front of the fire place, motioning for the children to follow. The little ones snuggled around the man and waited eagerly.

The knight cleared his thought before beginning. “A long time ago, a man wandered into the woods. He heard a voice, sweet and clear singing. Curious, the man followed the song. The song wound along the forest through the brush and the trees. The man came to a clearing and in the middle stood an ancient tree.” The care taker started. Clara raised an eyebrow in confusion and tilted her head.

“What does ancient mean?” Jakob asked for Clara.

“When something is ancient, it means that something is older than history itself.” Gunter stated Clara gasped in awe. Something older then history itself, was that possible?

“The voice came from the tree.” Gunter continued “

’Who are you?’ The wanderer asked.

‘I am a maiden of the forest.’  The voice sang.

‘Will you come back with me?’ The vagabond questioned. The maiden didn’t reply. This intrigued the traveller and he left the forest with resolve. She’d come around, he was sure of it.

Sometime later the man went into the woods again.  He retraced his steps into the clearing. He again called to the maiden. This time she was sitting on the branches of the tree. The maiden was beautiful. Her hair was curly

• 1 month later...