Who do you think is the best written character in Fire Emblem Fates?

Erureido

Since there is already a thread that discusses what fans think is the worst written/portrayed character in Fire Emblem Fates, I'd thought I'd make a counterpart version to it where we discuss the opposite: the best written character in Fire Emblem Fates.

If you had to ask me, I'd say Takumi. His actions throughout the story felt quite believable. His reaction to Corrin's initial arrival to Hoshido and the events following Mikoto's death was realistic. I mean, if someone from the enemy kingdom came to your country with your mother dying shortly afterward from an attack perpetrated from that enemy nation (in your eyes), why wouldn't you be pissed at that individual (especially when that individual ends up joining the enemy)? He also has many great supports that show variety in his character. In fact, his supports reveal that he has insecurities about his image towards others, which explains where some of his most memorable interactions come from, and he is a kind person deep down. I'd say he's quite relatable too.

Again, this is my opinion, and I know others think the same or another character fills the role the question poses, so that's why I want to ask you this: Who do you think is the best written/portrayed character in Fates?

Edited by Erureido

Takumi, easy choice. Even though Ryoma is my favorite character in the game because badassery in both design and gameplay, plus good personality, Takumi just feels the most human and most developed. By far too, because as with Awakening, much of the Fates cast are flat, boring, and undeveloped.

I've only played Conquest, so I'm limited only to that game(although Takumi is pretty good from what I've seen).

Despite him only being exclusive to Corrin/Avatar only, I'm gonna be the odd man and say Shura(but I also say Nyx as well).

To bring up his support(forgive me for any inaccuracies), Shura is a thief who's life, and old home, is completely token from him. He becomes a thief in hopes of one day restoring his home town to it's former glory. It's his main goal in life as of this point. However, he realizes that even if he does restore the town, it wouldn't be the same. It wouldn't have the "soul" it had before it was destroyed. Corrin does bring up that while it'll never be the same, he could make a new and better town then it was before, which Shrua sees as a better goal!

Shura originally comes off as some petty thief, but he's actually a pretty sad character. He misses what used to be, but he knows he'll never see something quite like it again...no matter how much he wants things to got back to how it was. Yet, he tries to rebuild his home, pretty much by himself. That takes a lot of drive and devotion to do!

He's interesting, but unfortunately, he can only support with Corrin. It saddens me since now I'm more intrigued by what kind of guy Shura is! I want to know more about him, but he only gets one support, which is a BIG missed opportunity(especially since he's the one that kidnapped Azure as a kid, an action he seems to regret)!

It's something that probably is because Shura can't really talk to anyone else unless maybe he marries them or something(similar to Say'ri from Awakening).  They have potential for other supports, but they're restricted to the Avatar!

...sigh...Anywho, I think that makes him pretty well written. He's written to a point that makes me want to know more about him. He comes off one way, but is actually another( I know that happens a lot, but I feel like there's a bit more here though)! 

Edited by Busterman64

Although I agree with Takumi since I love him, I have to say Flora?

I know that I may get yelled at a lot for it, but I really love Flora as a character and feel she deserved much better.

She felt real to me a lot of the time throughout the story and I love her for it.

Mozu.  Her supports make her a fairly believable character, and she doesn't have any that are outright bad.  Archer also fits her theme of a village girl that knows how to hunt (per her support with Keaton).  Her only flaw, IMO, is that her cooking is so heavily emphasized.  That should've been Peri's niche.

Hm.... This is interesting to think about. I'll probably choose a few just because I believe several characters are well-written for different reasons. For both games, the younger brothers are far more interesting characters than their older brothers. Takumi is interesting because there's a lot of conflict surrounding him. Throughout the story line, he has a flaw that he has to fight against/overcome, and it's directly related to the main plot. We get to see the consequences of what happens if he succumbs to his hatred, but we also know that he's capable of fighting against his inner demons, and because of that his bitterness isn't so overwhelming that players are struggling to like him. He feels very human because of how he goes from point A to point B. 

I think Leo is well-written for similar reasons. He comes across and bitter and spoiled. He's not just the "nerd." He has a warrior's spirit and despite often being the one to do the dirty work, he's not needlessly cruel. He's sneaky and ambitious, and he makes it very clear that he's not entirely under Garon's thumb. I like how he's probably one of the most sensible of the royal siblings as well. He's not so headstrong that he's unwilling to look past familial bonds and question the situation for himself. He has an interesting dynamic with his retainers, and I like the fact that even though he's a smart cookie, he retains some childish charm. 

And finally, I think Niles, Kaze, and Scarlet should get some honorable mentions. I'm a little more iffy about them, but I think they could be worth considering. Niles is a character I'd like to see more from. He's eccentric but that's not all that's there to him. He's got different layers that he reveals in supports. I enjoy the bits of history/personality you get from the ones with Leo, Mozu, Camilla, Effie, and Felicia. He's not plot relevant, but I'd love to know more about him unlike several of the other characters in the game. Kaze is relatively plot relevant. I think his part could have been incorporated better, especially in Birthright since there's very little foreshadowing if any at all, but he's a charming character and just likable. I'd love to see more of Kaze and Saizo's history in particular since they technically have a villain to deal with. For Scarlet, I think her development suffered from her lack of supports. She was a very interesting character with a LOT of potential just not enough love. She's relatively important to the plot but never gets a moment to shine. All in all, I found her amusing and likable just lacking in depth. So maybe these guys aren't the BEST written characters, but they could have been. 

I'll cheat and just bring up my five favorites

Takumi

Like people have already said, Takumi feels like arguably the most believable sibling. His supports show many sides of his personality, he's got the best relationship with his retainers and he's an overall interesting character with a slew of personal problems that don't easily get brushed aside outside of Conquest.

Leo

Similar to Takumi, he's got a lot of good supports and is practically the only sane person in Nohr in the main story. He's also surprisingly funny.

Oboro

One of the most balanced characters in the series. She's in love with Takumi, but it doesn't eclipse her personality. She's into fashion, but it's only really brought up when relevant or can serve comedic purposes. Her supports are good, her role believable and her character appealing.

Flora

Flora sticks out for having a pretty much full-fledged subplot and personal arc in Fates, which is very rare for minor characters. Unlike Felicia, her past actually matters, and we find out about how she's suffered throughout the years serving Corrin and how she has to balance Garon's orders with doing what she thinks is right. As a tragic character who's effectively more important than the royal sisters and Ryoma in the main story, I find that she's very well written, though it bothers me that Corrin never addresses her issues in any path, and that she doesn't talk with Felicia about her Stockholm Syndrome. Plus, that one scene in Birthright is just awful, but hey, she's still a great character in spite of some missed opportunities.

Shinonome

One of the most genuine blokes in the franchise. He's down to earth, competitive, values strength yet is a bit unsure of his own and refreshingly enough doesn't really have a gimmick or a trope; he's just a chill guy who's leagues more interesting than his father. His support with Caeldori is one of the best in the game, which also helps.

I find it hard to settle on a single one, so here's a shortlist:

• Anna - I'm not even gonna bother explaining this one. Anyone who knows me knows that I love the Secret Seller to bits, from her design, to her general OPness, to her cheeky mannerisms. My only two problems with her in Fates are that she's a DLC character and her new voice direction is nowhere near as good as Strassman's performance in Awakening.
  • Takumi - It's been said enough in this thread already, but allow me to chime in. Although a melodramatic jerk at times, Takumi is a very fresh character from my perspective. Being a secondary kind of lord, Takumi has a much more rounded personality than most of the cast, and his arc in Conquest is evidence that modern Fire Emblem is perfectly capable of doing great things with its supporting cast.
Finally, his appearance as the final boss in Conquest is just awesome from start to finish. A great map which has players do more than rush towards the boss, coupled with a satisfying entrance and resolution.
Niles - Crass and lewd, Niles has a great sense of wit and complete lack of shame, but his supports are very revealing (personality-wise, of course!). Undyingly loyal to Lord Leo and with great design and voice acting to boot, Niles is easily one of the most memorable characters of Fates, helped by the fact that he is the series' first character who can be S-Ranked by a character of the same sex. Progressive! Laslow - While some people dislike the wandering trio of Awakening, I have to disagree. All three of them are now sporting far better designs and art than before, and each of them have undergone marked character development, leading to better supports. However, Laslow is the standout for me. While his incessant flirting still irks me, his supports with Xander show that he can be frighteningly capable in the arena, and that his laid-back mannerisms shouldn't be mistaken for oafishness. Shura - In a game filled with conventionally attractive 20-somethings, Shura is a nice change of pace. Directly involved in the backstory of Fates,
being responsible for Azura's kidnapping on the part of Hoshido
, Shura has a lot of ties to the world of the game, and is very honourable and respectful towards Corrin, should the player allow him to join the army. While his nihilism is a little extreme and melodramatic, it only ever shows in his voice clips, and his support line with Corrin is interesting to read. Finally, I'm perfectly secure in terms of my sexuality, but Shura just looks so god damned sexy, like if George Clooney was a hobo from feudal Japan, his rugged features and shaggy hair complimented by his Adventurer outfit and unique colour palette.

So yeah, those are my top five, almost all males, but hey, I all found them to be fun characters.

5 hours ago, Thane said:

Leo

Similar to Takumi, he's got a lot of good supports and is practically the only sane person in Nohr in the main story. He's also surprisingly funny.

Flora

Flora sticks out for having a pretty much full-fledged subplot and personal arc in Fates, which is very rare for minor characters. Unlike Felicia, her past actually matters, and we find out about how she's suffered throughout the years serving Corrin and how she has to balance Garon's orders with doing what she thinks is right. As a tragic character who's effectively more important than the royal sisters and Ryoma in the main story, I find that she's very well written, though it bothers me that Corrin never addresses her issues in any path, and that she doesn't talk with Felicia about her Stockholm Syndrome. Plus, that one scene in Birthright is just awful, but hey, she's still a great character in spite of some missed opportunities.

I agree with Leo.

To expand on Flora, it's a pity they didn't give her more supports.  I could imagine adding Jakob and Gunter at the very least, since they works together for years.  She's a bigger part of the plot than most of the rest of the cast.

Takumi or Leo in the main story for the things people have already said. Support-wise, I would give it to Oboro and Xander (yes, that guy). The former is multifaceted and never goes overboard on a particular trope. She's basically a better done Cordelia, being a hard worker and has a love interest, but it doesn't consume her character. Xander (supports only) is another character that doesn't run off tropes and has strong and consistent development with the majority of his partners. Best of all, he actually feels like part of the world, which is refreshing when so many characters may as well exist in a vacuum.

I would have to go with the majority and say Takumi is the best written character in Fates. My other favorites have also already been covered by other posters, but:

Mozu is one of my personal favorites as her tragic background actually doesn't deluge her character. I suppose one could complain that she doesn't talk about it enough, but I find that, of the supports that do mention it, the conversation does end on a lighter note where she slowly comes to terms with the absence of her village. I appreciate that she is confident in the things that she can do well (farming, cooking, killing things larger than) but manages to be humble simultaneously. At the same time, she is insecure about her place in the army and worries about bettering herself in battle. I believe one of her strongest supports is with Ryoma, in which she actively tries her hardest to become an asset to her allies and we learn that Ryoma is an unconventional nobleman that has little concern with status.

Despite what it seems like, there are quite a few characters that are written decently enough, but they get overshadowed by the characters (and the story) who are not.

Edited by saisymbolic
elaboration

My faves (don't have one favorite)

Saizo - His drive for revenge is realistic, his gruff drill sergeant exterior hides a rather reflective man.  His supports with Charlotte, Mozu, Kagero, Hinoka, Beruka, hell almost everyone are just top notch.

Oboro - I always find myself wondering if she would have been a great merchant if her particular tragedy not taken place.  She's just a wonderful girl.

Odin, Selena, Laslow - I'm not that in love with them here, but after the Future Past I'm kinda in love with all three.