Starting FE4 for the first time, and Sigurd's swords confuse me...

Rapha666br

Hi, my first time on this forum.

I decided to give Genology of the Holy war another chance after Sigurd being anounced for Fire Emblem Heroes. Looking at Sigurd's weapons, he has  a Iron sword stronger than a steel sword. I checked  the weapons in this site, and noticed they have diferent stats. Are his starting swords forged or something? Or maybe just a translate error?

Steel sword

Acc 80
Mgt 10
Rng 1~1
Wgt 3

Iron sword

Acc 80
Mgt 12
Rng 1~1
Wgt 12

10 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Since when does Sigurd start with an iron blade? It's obviously an iron lance.

5dkJVmz.png

Blades weigh 6 anyway, not 12.

Dammit. I knew I should have double checked.

In Fe4 Weapon Balance is basically nonexistant, Swords and Wind Magic trump everything.

Also Iron > Steel > Silver is a might increase with no drawbacks whatsoever. Also Blades are stronger but heavier than swords but have their use although they struggle to hit Lance users.

I guess I don't need to mention that weight is directly subtracted from speed to make Attack Speed and that negative AS is a thing (otherwise Azel couldn't double the Axefighters)

Blades are best used on sword classes with high speed/skill caps like swordfighters/masters and heroes as well as the Forrest Knight/Ranger class due to their low accuracy and relatively high weight. 

Guys, Sorry for being such a noob, I now realized that the Ironia weapon is a lance, but for some reason the game Just says Iron or steel. I have to see the weapon icons to judge

On 12/02/2017 at 4:22 PM, Bagfisch said:

In Fe4 Weapon Balance is basically nonexistant, Swords and Wind Magic trump everything.

Also Iron > Steel > Silver is a might increase with no drawbacks whatsoever. Also Blades are stronger but heavier than swords but have their use although they struggle to hit Lance users.

I guess I don't need to mention that weight is directly subtracted from speed to make Attack Speed and that negative AS is a thing (otherwise Azel couldn't double the Axefighters)

Thanks for the tips, I Just noticed there is a heavy diference bitween lances and Swords, the Iron lance being stronger than the steel Swords, but much heavier. I need to get used to this.

Also, can you guys give me more tips? Like , what should I do, or not during the game, If I should use a unit or not. Does this game offer a lot exp ? I heard Fin is good,so besides Sigurd and Cuan( wich is not really a Jagen right?), who else should I give most exp in the begining? And who I dump imediataly?

Cuan is not a Jagen no, he comes at level 1 so despite being a promoted class (which Sigurd is too mind), he suffers no exp penalty. Your party is small and you can deploy everyone, so use everyone you can, though some characters are basically worthless (like Arden).

5 hours ago, Yojinbo said:

You can use pretty much every unit you want since everybody can be deployed. Exp is available in ample amounts via arena and being able to generate reinforcements.

Awesome, so I can finnaly use everyone in a Fire emblem game? I can take everyone from the castle. If so, I AM really digging this game. Maps are so big, It truly feels like a war.

4 hours ago, CappnRob said:

Cuan is not a Jagen no, he comes at level 1 so despite being a promoted class (which Sigurd is too mind), he suffers no exp penalty. Your party is small and you can deploy everyone, so use everyone you can, though some characters are basically worthless (like Arden).

Sigurd is an already promoted lord? Well, I was trying to feed him the most exp, but I think I should try to balance it.

6 hours ago, Rapha666br said:

Also, can you guys give me more tips? Like , what should I do, or not during the game, If I should use a unit or not. Does this game offer a lot exp ? I heard Fin is good,so besides Sigurd and Cuan (which is not really a Jagen right?), who else should I give most exp in the begining? And who I dump imediataly?

Use the Arena a lot before starting the map and specially before finishing it. Finn is good, but him, Cuan and Eythlin leave like halfway through the map, but it's very rewarding to take him as close to level 20 as possible during his time with you. If you have good pairings it doesn't matter even if he's weak since Gen 2 plays itself with good children. Make sure you see every conversation. Read a guide for pairings and don't be afraid to ask for opinions and options for children.

There is no such thing as "Jeigans" in this game because every unit reaches to level 30, promotion happens at level 20 and it doesn't reset levels either so pre-promotes are naturally stronger. Sigurd for instance is like Seth and he can solo the whole 1st Gen if you really want to be silly.

If you're against save states remember you can save at the beginning of every turn, so don't be afraid to savescum like a madman. If you are to dump anyone it should be Arden, just make sure to get his pursuit ring.

Other general tips I can think of is that the only way to trade is by selling to the pawn shop and having someone else buy them, when you plan for pairings make sure you spread the Pursuit skill as if it was herpes, don't forget to get Lex his Brave Axe during chapter 1, make sure Briggid's husband has a Return ring before chapter 5 ends, make sure Eythlin has the Pursuit ring (if you get it) at around the start of chapter 3, if you feel you underleveled Finn sell his Brave Lance and give to Fury.

1 hour ago, SalShich10N said:

Use the Arena a lot before starting the map and specially before finishing it. Finn is good, but him, Cuan and Eythlin leave like halfway through the map, but it's very rewarding to take him as close to level 20 as possible during his time with you. If you have good pairings it doesn't matter even if he's weak since Gen 2 plays itself with good children. Make sure you see every conversation. Read a guide for pairings and don't be afraid to ask for opinions and options for children.

There is no such thing as "Jeigans" in this game because every unit reaches to level 30, promotion happens at level 20 and it doesn't reset levels either so pre-promotes are naturally stronger. Sigurd for instance is like Seth and he can solo the whole 1st Gen if you really want to be silly.

If you're against save states remember you can save at the beginning of every turn, so don't be afraid to savescum like a madman. If you are to dump anyone it should be Arden, just make sure to get his pursuit ring.

Other general tips I can think of is that the only way to trade is by selling to the pawn shop and having someone else buy them, when you plan for pairings make sure you spread the Pursuit skill as if it was herpes, don't forget to get Lex his Brave Axe during chapter 1, make sure Briggid's husband has a Return ring before chapter 5 ends, make sure Eythlin has the Pursuit ring (if you get it) at around the start of chapter 3, if you feel you underleveled Finn sell his Brave Lance and give to Fury.

Wait, calm down...Lol

So much info, thanks. 

So, this game is really diferent. I don't know what "gen" is. Great, I am on chapter 1, so I didn't miss anything. Caun is already in love with the healer girl( forgot name). How do I get a pursuit ring from Arden? Is that how you take Skills from units and equip others? I will  go read about pairing in this site.

7 minutes ago, Rapha666br said:

Wait, calm down...Lol

So much info, thanks. 

So, this game is really diferent. I don't know what "gen" is. Great, I am on chapter 1, so I didn't miss anything. Caun is already in love with the healer girl( forgot name). How do I get a pursuit ring from Arden? Is that how you take Skills from units and equip others? I will  go read about pairing in this site.

Just check the page on the main site for "special events" and conversations. Avoid missing any of them. Yes, Cuan arrives married, They're there to make an example of the mechanic, namely to show that they can share cash and if they attack while adjacent to each other you get bonuses.

Gen means Generation. The skip happens after chapter 5. You'll know because your whole squad will be invited for a barbecue party.

Some rings give stats, others give skills. For the most part skills are bound to either classes or the units themselves, mostly the units. When two units marry, their children will inherit all skills natural to the parents.

Events and conversations are important because, unlike newer games, these give bonuses to stats, give you weapon, items, and/or increase the ~love~ between two units. Arden's event happen during chapter 2, IIRC. On the chapter when you get a Pegasus knight, you have to walk him a bit far from the castle, but it's worth it.

Just save those recommendations in a notepad file, don't get discouraged if you miss a few, though. Oh yeah, one more recommendation for your own good: Keep Sylvia (the dancer) AWAY from Levin (wind mage). She's a harpy that will try her hardest to get her claws on his poor virginal soul and you must prevent it at all costs.

Children are coming from the mother meaning you should pair every female unit you get (except maybe your Dancer)

Children are always 2 per female and get all weapons from their main parent they can use and all personal skills (not class skills like pursuit from Swordfighters)

Arden is basically useless and the game strongly hints you towards cannon / useful pairings. And make sure Aira/Ayra/Ira is not paired at the beginning of chapter 3.

Children inherit 100% of their main parents growth rates and 50% of their other parents growth rates.

3 hours ago, Bagfisch said:

Children are coming from the mother meaning you should pair every female unit you get (except maybe your Dancer)

Children are always 2 per female and get all weapons from their main parent they can use and all personal skills (not class skills like pursuit from Swordfighters)

Arden is basically useless and the game strongly hints you towards cannon / useful pairings. And make sure Aira/Ayra/Ira is not paired at the beginning of chapter 3.

Children inherit 100% of their main parents growth rates and 50% of their other parents growth rates.

I really need to read about this system. Looks confusing at first, specialy because of the time Skip. What level do the children come? Class? Also, can Any of you provide a Link about the pairing system? 

Really thank you all for the help, I feel completely overwhelmed when I saw how diferent the game is, and How huge the maps are. Also, the game doesn't do math for you lol.

Children come at varying levels, the first ones are 1-3, the later ones closer to the 10+ range (with one notable exception). They'll geeeeeeeeenerally be matching your army's relative average level, probably a bit lower than average.

As for classes, they tend to be based around the mother's class and and their "ideal" father. The game does a pretty good job at making these pairs easy to get, even if they're not the most min-max effecient pairings. Example: Aideen's daughter is a cleric like her, her son is a mounted archer; consequently its generally regarded that her best husband for both kids to come out good is Midir, a mounted archer you recruit in the prologue that quite obviously has feelings for Aideen. Otherwise as long as you don't accidentally leave characters side by side too long recklessly so they fall in love too fast, you'll get a lot of conversations between characters that nudges you in the right direction. Either way, Generation 2 is only about 3/4 made of kid characters, you get an ample supply of standard characters regardless, plus anyone who doesn't pair up has their kids replaced with similar but weaker substitutes (though this is generally not a smart thing to do). The standard characters are some of the best ones you can have, too.

If you want a guide, just check SF's own page on FE4: https://serenesforest.net/genealogy-of-the-holy-war/

Are you REALLY spoiling the whole children and time skip thing to one of the few lucky souls who (it would seem) was about to play FE4 completely blind?

Really, with the exception of secret events you don't really have to worry about pairings too much: characters almost form the best ones on their own and the game is more than beatable with subpar children. And should you find yourself fond of a particular pair for whatever reason, disregard every "pairing guide" you might have read and just go for it!

He asked for a guide, so I gave him a link to SF's general page. If he wants to go in blind or not is his choice. Hell, I went into FE4 knowing about the generational skip and knowing who all the kids are (thank you based Sigurd's Pants) and I still had a blast of a time playing it.

By the way here's a reminder that Silver weapons, especially the Silver Sword, are way better than Steel and Iron weapons, and Brave weapons are obviously really good.

By the way, all units are deployed, so yeah, go have fun with them all. Although like many have said already, Arden probably won't be used much.

Pretty much everyone has told you what you needed to know. Do remember that it takes some turns for villages to be completely destroyed, therefore it makes it easier for you to plan strategies.

Everyone has their own money in this game and be sure to check the Fortune Teller, especially with the females, to find out who is starting to like who, if you want to make sure your units are not accidentally paired with another person.

Also, I don't think anyone mentioned this, but in Ch2, be sure to keep some certain people alive.

5 hours ago, Koumal8 said:

Are you REALLY spoiling the whole children and time skip thing to one of the few lucky souls who (it would seem) was about to play FE4 completely blind?

Really, with the exception of secret events you don't really have to worry about pairings too much: characters almost form the best ones on their own and the game is more than beatable with subpar children. And should you find yourself fond of a particular pair for whatever reason, disregard every "pairing guide" you might have read and just go for it!

I'm in agreement with this. When did people become complacent with spoiling everything about a game before they start?

My advice: play blind. If you get stuck on a chapter look up a map guide but don't fret over getting everything the first time. The game is still beatable. But try to train everyone even very weak allies. If you enjoy it then by all means look up everything the game has to offer.

Here's a guide you can refer to. Meant to be used to look up things you're confused about without spoiling everything, but if you want you can read the whole thing.

On 14/02/2017 at 3:09 PM, Koumal8 said:

I kinda agree with you on not spoiling everything, but I still needed help to understand the pairing mechanic, as the game doesn't seem to havy ANY tutorial. And Lucky soul? I will take that as an aconpliment ?

On 14/02/2017 at 9:13 PM, Locked Apple said:

I'm in agreement with this. When did people become complacent with spoiling everything about a game before they start?

My advice: play blind. If you get stuck on a chapter look up a map guide but don't fret over getting everything the first time. The game is still beatable. But try to train everyone even very weak allies. If you enjoy it then by all means look up everything the game has to offer.

I always try to do as much as I can in my first playthrough, as I am not really sure I will have a second. I do play "blind", I plan my own moves, strategies, choses the units I want( but this time I Will use everyone to some extent). But If I see an recruitable unit that I don't know who I should use to talk to( as sometimes, the game doesn't leave any obvious clue), I will look through a search.

The only reason I am asking for help here ( I never asked any help about another Fire Emblem game), is because I am clueless about the game mechanics and features.

1 hour ago, Rapha666br said:

I kinda agree with you on not spoiling everything, but I still needed help to understand the pairing mechanic, as the game doesn't seem to havy ANY tutorial. And Lucky soul? I will take that as an aconpliment ?

I always try to do as much as I can in my first playthrough, as I am not really sure I will have a second. I do play "blind", I plan my own moves, strategies, choses the units I want( but this time I Will use everyone to some extent). But If I see an recruitable unit that I don't know who I should use to talk to( as sometimes, the game doesn't leave any obvious clue), I will look through a search.

The only reason I am asking for help here ( I never asked any help about another Fire Emblem game), is because I am clueless about the game mechanics and features.

Fair enough, and as a side note, the second status screen occasionally shows what unit someone can talk to. I forget if it applies to recruitable enemies. 

My main gripe is with story spoilers and this game in particular messes story with gameplay quite well. This site's page does a pretty good job on mechanics though. Only take my comment as a recommendation, not a command.