Looks like bows might have a 1-3 range

So I was looking on amazon japan, seeing if there were any new screenshots, and I came across this:  弓の射程が1~3マスと長く、戦略上、重要な存在に

I'm obviously not fluent in Japanese, or I'd be more sure, but it automatically translated to something along the lines of "The bow's range is 1-3 squares, which is strategically important." Can anyone fluent confirm this?

While not the most reliable translator, Google Translate says:

The range of the bow is as long as 1 to 3 squares, strategically important to exist

So yeah.

Interesting. Perhaps I should make everyone a Bow Knight then. -_-

They gotta have an accuracy penalty for attacking at either close or far-range. Archers were way too broken in Gaiden, especially if you made Saber (using the Dread Fighter exploit) or Grey one.

Edited by Leif

is this just "bow" or is it equipped bows

because inherently archers and snipers had 1-3 range, but archers and snipers had 1-5 range with any bow other than the standard (i.e unequipped bow) and bow knights had 1-5 range inherently

this could still mean they have 1-5 range when equipped

The more and more this looks like Gaiden, the more worried I grow.

I really hope they do something to balance this game in some way. Bows with ludicrous range get out of hand later on. Bow users essentially become mobile ballistas.

Edited by Slumber

On 2/12/2017 at 8:09 PM, Slumber said:

I really hope they do something to balance this game in some way. Bows with ludicrous range get out of hand later on. Bow users essentially become mobile ballistas.

Gaiden has some serious balance issues that need to be fixed, but none of the bow users sans Alm were particularly overpowered in the first place.  I don't see what the problem with them being mobile ballista is, honestly.

3 hours ago, Refa said:

Gaiden has some serious balance issues that need to be fixed, but none of the bow users sans Alm were particularly overpowered in the first place.  I don't see what the problem with them being mobile ballista is, honestly.

Basically this. Bow users notoriously had horrible hit because no bow has over 80 hit (With the exception of the Holy Bow, which had 100 hit) and when you take into account the 1RN and the massive terrain bonuses, bow users were not that overpowered (Except Alm, cause he is Alm but unlike Bow Knight, he only had 1~3 range if he didn't use an equipable bow).

Also, not including villagers and mercenaries that could go back to villager, the two archers, Python and Leo, had 15% and 20% skill growths and Python only had a base 3 skill too, which is the same as Silque, a cleric.

Edited by Azz

On 2/13/2017 at 1:42 AM, Calico said:

So I was looking on amazon japan, seeing if there were any new screenshots, and I came across this:  弓の射程が1~3マスと長く、戦略上、重要な存在に

I'm obviously not fluent in Japanese, or I'd be more sure, but it automatically translated to something along the lines of "The bow's range is 1-3 squares, which is strategically important." Can anyone fluent confirm this?

Huh, which page did you find the screenshot/text? It doesn't help there are like 5 versions (standard/limited, with/without Amazon bonus and the digital version).

EDIT: Oh, found it. Didn't think to scroll down : P

Edited by VincentASM

On 2/12/2017 at 10:09 PM, Slumber said:

Trust me that's not even close to a mobile ballista.

actual mobile ballistas are in FE11 and Fates

and my Jake literally assassinated Medeus in FE11

On 2/14/2017 at 1:22 AM, Refa said:

There isn't any problem, they're just being hasty and kind of stupid.

On 2/14/2017 at 0:59 AM, Radiant head said:

...is there even a limitation or a reason to use other weapons if this is true? 

Plenty. You're a fool if you're to make even half of your team Archers as they have some of the worst stats in the game to make up for their ridiculous range. Alongside the aforementioned hit issues, there's also their shit SPD stat to take into account so they'll rarely, if ever, double attack enemies and if an enemy gets up to their face, they'll take some serious damage as they will most likely be doubled. It's more efficient to kill 1 enemy if you've got a strong attacker that can double than having to use 3-4 archers to kill him. Lastly, they target the DEF stat.

Of course, if you're the type to just grind your units to max level before actually playing the game, you've thrown out all strategy needed for the game out the window.

Honestly, the Archer line having this ridiculous range was a bigger asset to the enemy than the player. I used 2 Archers on my team but they didn't break the game, they did what they're supposed to do on paper: weaken enemies from a distance so the melee can go in and kill in 1 shot without the counter-attack. If that's all you use the archers for, they'll level up slower than the others too.

On 2/14/2017 at 3:20 PM, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Maybe incentive to make cliff an archer with his bangin' skill? I have never not "maged" him, but I imagine he is awesome as whatever .

Archer is Cliff's worst class, although he'll be decent eventually.

One of the few things I am ok with being kept. As long as they are accordingly balanced then it should be interesting. It isnt like we havent had to deal with 1-3 range bows before like longbows.

On 19/2/2017 at 8:48 AM, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

Trust me that's not even close to a mobile ballista.

actual mobile ballistas are in FE11 and Fates

and my Jake literally assassinated Medeus in FE11

They outrange Ballistas. 

Bow Knight with a Speed Ring has 13 movement and a 1-5 range weapon. Murders from 18 spaces away. 

Ballisticians have 6 movement and a 3-10 range weapon. 16 spaces away.