Raising Units

How do you want and/or expect unit growth to be handled in the upcoming installment?

This can address a number of varying ideas. Promotion, reclassing, grinding and even other traits like weapon levels and skills.

My idea for promotion, which I freely admit is probably hampered by the presence of reclassing and grinding, would be to sort of combine Genealogy and Tellius's respective systems into something that goes thusly: all classes have fourty levels of growing room (classes like Dancer with no promotion might differ), and when a unit levels to 21, they promote instead of levelling. A unit can promote early by using an item.
For example, we have a pegasus knight named... actually, let's just pretend it's Catria, so we don't have to worry about naming her. As a level 20 Pegasus Knight, she levels up into a level 21 Falcoknight, where the Falcoknight promotion bonuses take over whatever natural level she was going to get. Alternatively, we could give her an Elysian Whip at level 15, she gets the promotion bonuses and her 21st level (and indeed, her 16th) is completely unaffected. Naturally, promotion items would probably be in much more limited supply, but said supply wouldn't matter as much (like Master Seals in Tellius).

As for the other ideas... I'd imagine this would be more restricted to a higher skill threshold, but reclassing, grinding and support grinding could be activities you do in base, but the unit(s) you select to require it must be left out of the next map in addition to whatever resources are required (they're out training). Could offer additional weight to your decisions, making sure you absolutely want to do this before you do it.

I'm not really sure I have much to say on weapon levels or skills, though. I think I'll leave that for suggestions first.

6 minutes ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

No grinding, no reclassing. I do like your idea of auto-promoting after hitting level 21. 

I know it won't happen but I want it to. 

Yeah, honestly, I'm not looking forward to reclassing either. (I struggle with it for similar reasons to why I'm not the biggest fan of games like Breath of the Wild- I don't take kindly to being given too many options at once). Just an idea for the sake of 'it's probably in'.

I could see the auto-promotion at 21 come back, but I dunno. I also don't want reclassing and grinding, but again, I dunno.

As much as it hurts me to say, I'm ultimately fine with something like FE8's branching promotions, supposing they make sense.

I agree that Level 21 = Auto-Promotion makes sense. Not having to spend gold on Master Seals would definitely give more casual players an incentive not to promote as soon as they hit Level 10 (stat and skills aside).

I think they should model it like Conquest, no grinding and your level stays the same after reclassing. If the skill system stays the same, then Fates tier flexibility should be there for reclassing. If skills are made to be more special and locked to classes, then they could just have predetermined class sets with no sharing in order to preserve an identity for the character. Branching promotions should always be a thing.

I think our current system is pretty fine - allow me to choose when to reclass, and having two promotions to choose from. Not having to buy a Master Seal when my unit turns 20, though, might be nice.

I personally much prefer the Tellius style of promotion, where units had one specific class line and auto-promoted at level 21, where master seals are really just available to promote a unite early if need be. I think one thing that would be cool to see to appease newer fans who like the options is the idea of other promotion seals that for the most part are limited in number like the elysian whip, hero's crest, guiding ring, etc, that could serve as a replacement for parallel seals. These could either be used as a master seal to promote early, or a parallel seal to take an already promoted unit to a different class. Basically, these seals would take a compatible unit and just open up the alternate class branch for the first class. i.e. A pegasus knight would normally just auto promote to falcon knight at level 21, but giving them a seal would allow them to reclassify into say a kinshi knight. 

I think that this would preserve unit variety in your army while still allowing for some degree of flexibility, which hopefully could be a happy medium between the styles of reclassing that have been prevalent throughout the series.

I think I'd actually like a way to grind lower-level units up to par with the rest of your army, just because I hate spending extra time to raise a new unit. Raising weak, new units is such a staple of fire emblem that I don't know if that will actually happen.

I liked FE9/10's promotion system. And I definitely wish that non-promotable units could make it all the way to level 40. I'm fine with branching promotions as long as it's not super crazy and hard to remember.

I'm not a big fan of reclassing. I've always thought that reclassing took away most of a unit's individuality. If reclassing does exist, I would prefer it if you can't mix skills between classes (and you keep your level when reclassed -- Awakening's infinite leveling system was always pretty strange to me).

I think infinite levelling and grinding are fine, but they should make it harder to do mid-game and make it more or less just a fun thing for people to mess around with once they've beaten the game and don't have to worry about breaking game balance in twain. Maybe even make it so that Eternal Seals (or some better way to keep levelling) only becomes available for purchase right before or after the final chapter.

Other than that, I think the system we have in Fates (built upon Awakening's) is pretty good as is; each unit has two base classes with two promotions each, and any additional classes are gained from supports or special items. The biggest thing that needs to change is not so much classes themselves but skills, I think. One idea I had was to make it so that only the first skill in each class is general-purpose; the second skill is always locked to that specific class. That way taking a tour of one class still benefits another class somewhat, but there are advantages to sticking with that class and "mastering" it that you can't just retain.

So for example, the first skill learned in a magic-oriented class might be Magic +2. That's something you can take with you into another class, and it could be useful if you become a different type of magic user, or even become a Mercenary equipped with a Levin Sword. But the second skill learned might be something really unique like Replicate, Galeforce, Vengeance, ect. Under this system, you wouldn't be able to just stack all those skills onto a Sniper, or a General, or whatever; if you wanna take advantage of those skills you've gotta stick with the class that gave it to you. This would mean that you can't just go and make every unit have the same skillset like all the Replicate or Rend Heaven abusers in Fates, or pile a bunch of OP abilities together.

Edited by Anomalocaris

It sounds a lot like FE4's style of promotion, where a unit could promote at Level 20, gain bonuses, and still be at level 20.

It would be interesting if they had this style with branching promotions, and you need some sort of item if you wanted to switch to the other class (but you'll stay the same level)

It'll be interesting to have, as it can nerf people from breaking the game by continuously reclassing over and over again.

• 2 months later...

I'd like to see the option to allow or not allow grinding.

In one option, you could grind indefinitely, but in the other, you can't grind and have to use Bonus EXP instead if your want to strengthen your units outside of playing the story maps.