joesteve1914

Updated FE12 translation patch (Beta 1)

241 posts in this topic

Oh okay, I can send you a script dump if you'd like, if you don't want to do it yourself (it takes a while since the game has like 90 different files that need to be dumped individually iirc), Japanese or English . I can look into fe13 as well if you still need that, since I have edited the script for that in the past. 

But it won't be until about 8-9 hours because I'm at work right now :D:

Well, at least that answers the question of Eine's name.  It's a cute pun, but it has nothing to do with the light theme, sadly.

Thus, if Elise/Nino are cinnamon roles, Katarina is a peanut butter cup. ;/

Quick update- I found the chapter titles and figured out how to edit them!

tlbt_16258.png

I went over the dialogue today and replaced all instances of "divine sword" with "divine blade" (and also took care of the "Panther" and "Bull" titles.)

Posted (edited)

@Hero of the Fire Emblems we may have an issue with using "Big Brother/Sister". Does the Japanese version differentiate between brother and sister depending on if the avatar is male or female? 

If it doesn't, than it would likely take some advanced hacking to make it like that; at the very least I wouldn't be able to do it. :(

Edited by joesteve1914

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, joesteve1914 said:

@Hero of the Fire Emblems we may have an issue with using "Big Brother/Sister". Does the Japanese version differentiate between brother and sister depending on if the avatar is male or female? 

If it doesn't, than it would likely take some advanced hacking to make it like that; at the very least I wouldn't be able to do it. :(

Judging by the wiki topic on Tiki, yes, it does; there's a couple epithets Tiki variously uses for the Avatar at given points.  Male Kris regularly gets called either クリスのおにいちゃん or クリスのおじいちゃま, derived from her nicknames for Marth and Bantu respectively, while female Kris gets クリスのおねえちゃん or クリスのおばあちゃま (same derivation; literally "Big Brother/Sister" and "Grandpa/Grandma").  There's also a couple instances of クリス様 (lit. Lord/Lady Kris).  クリスのおにいちゃん/クリスのおねえちゃん are the most common ones used, though.

The original Heroes of Shadow patch, as you're likely aware, uses "Tar-Tar" for the former case and "Uncool Kris" for the latter case, regardless of gender.

Edited by Reiska
Left out a ), woops

20 hours ago, Reiska said:

Judging by the wiki topic on Tiki, yes, it does; there's a couple epithets Tiki variously uses for the Avatar at given points.  Male Kris regularly gets called either クリスのおにいちゃん or クリスのおじいちゃま, derived from her nicknames for Marth and Bantu respectively, while female Kris gets クリスのおねえちゃん or クリスのおばあちゃま (same derivation; literally "Big Brother/Sister" and "Grandpa/Grandma").  There's also a couple instances of クリス様 (lit. Lord/Lady Kris).  クリスのおにいちゃん/クリスのおねえちゃん are the most common ones used, though.

The original Heroes of Shadow patch, as you're likely aware, uses "Tar-Tar" for the former case and "Uncool Kris" for the latter case, regardless of gender.

Okay, so big brother/sister should work. Thanks!

I'm trying to edit the chapter titles, but I can't for the life of me figure out what font they're using. For the "Red Dragoon" one I just reused characters from another chapter title. It'd be much easier to just use the font that is used in the current patch.

chapter_text021_Title.pngchapter_text021_Place.png

@VincentASM I'm assuming you don't remember since it was 5 years ago :D, but if anyone recognizes it or is able to find one that looks very similar, that would be a big help.

8 minutes ago, joesteve1914 said:

but if anyone recognizes it or is able to find one that looks very similar, that would be a big help.

Looks like Cambria, one of MS Office default fonts: (original on the top, my cheap knock-off on the bottom)

kn53s01.png7QTshU9.png

Chapter name in this case is 19pt 84% width, location name is 9pt 74% width.

2 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Looks like Cambria, one of MS Office default fonts: (original on the top, my cheap knock-off on the bottom)

kn53s01.png7QTshU9.png

Chapter name in this case is 19pt 84% width, location name is 9pt 74% width.

Thanks! This'll be a big help :):

Does anyone happen to have a save with all the items unlocked at their normal amounts? (yes, there's cheats, but they set everything to 99 and I think it's causing text glitches)

Or at the very least, one with "Klein's Bow" and "Hellfire" unlocked? 

22 hours ago, joesteve1914 said:

Does anyone happen to have a save with all the items unlocked at their normal amounts? (yes, there's cheats, but they set everything to 99 and I think it's causing text glitches)

Or at the very least, one with "Klein's Bow" and "Hellfire" unlocked? 

I'm pretty sure there is a cheat that allows you to buy anything from the convoy armory. As in, the vendor has all the existent items, including whatever you forge. 
Or was, at least. I had a saved file with that thing some time ago 'cause of curiosity, but now that I try to find the cheat again... it just seems like it doesn't exist anymore.

But why are you asking anyway?

I'm currently playing through New Mystery for the first time with this updated names patch, and I figured I could help out and mention if I notice anything.

And I did, actually. In the guide, name changes mess up where names are located. Legion is still under R, for example. No idea how hard this is to change or even if it's worth it, but I thought it would be worth bringing up.

On 6/20/2017 at 11:31 PM, Blueshirt said:

I'm currently playing through New Mystery for the first time with this updated names patch, and I figured I could help out and mention if I notice anything.

And I did, actually. In the guide, name changes mess up where names are located. Legion is still under R, for example. No idea how hard this is to change or even if it's worth it, but I thought it would be worth bringing up.

Nice catch! I'm guessing it's not going to be terribly difficult to fix it, but either way it's still essential imo.

I'll try to get the first complete patch out soon. I have everything listed in the spreadsheet in the OP implemented with the exception of some dialogue, so it shouldn't be much longer of a wait.

Edited by joesteve1914

On 6/18/2017 at 9:19 PM, Zelith said:

I'm pretty sure there is a cheat that allows you to buy anything from the convoy armory. As in, the vendor has all the existent items, including whatever you forge. 
Or was, at least. I had a saved file with that thing some time ago 'cause of curiosity, but now that I try to find the cheat again... it just seems like it doesn't exist anymore.

But why are you asking anyway?

One of the item names just barely fits, but there's a glitch with it that I suspect has to do with the cheat forcing it to be 99/whatever the max is. 

Edit - sorry to double post, I meant to edit the one before this

Edited by joesteve1914

Another random small typo: Matthis talking to Lena in the Epilogue. "[email protected] was worried about you" Should be "Lena?! I was worried about you", there's an @ in there somehow.

23 hours ago, Blueshirt said:

Another random small typo: Matthis talking to Lena in the Epilogue. "[email protected] was worried about you" Should be "Lena?! I was worried about you", there's an @ in there somehow.

That's weird.... well anyways, I fixed it.

tlbt_15519.png

:B):

New title screen, courtesy of Kenthos and myself! The old title screen was not bad by any means, but it was inconsistent with the FE11 english title screen (FE11 and FE12 have the same style of logo in the japanese versions). I also managed to fit the *entire* subtitle in there. This should solve the debate over which one to use, now we get the best of both worlds :)

1 minute ago, joesteve1914 said:

That's weird.... well anyways, I fixed it.

tlbt_15519.png

:B):

New title screen, courtesy of Kenthos and myself! The old title screen was not bad by any means, but it was inconsistent with the FE11 english title screen (FE11 and FE12 have the same style of logo in the japanese versions). I also managed to fit the *entire* subtitle in there. This should solve the debate over which one to use, now we get the best of both worlds :)

Also has the added side benefit of actually showing all five orbs at once on the title screen, which was an unintended but very appreciated side effect of using the FE11 logo.