Updated FE12 translation patch (Beta 2 released!)

Good to hear the project is out of limbo. Do you know if the team was ever able to solve the dialogue rewind glitch? (where the text in the dialogue rewind would be cut off)

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, GamerX51 said:

Good to hear the project is out of limbo. Do you know if the team was ever able to solve the dialogue rewind glitch? (where the text in the dialogue rewind would be cut off)

Was about to say the same.  Just found  this topic over the weekend and it sounds like exactly the kind of translation patch I would want (seeing Roro instead of Legion, etc was just driving me crazy :P  I'm currently playing through Binding Blade and I cringe a little every time I read "Klain" :P).  So glad to see it isn't abandoned.  

14 hours ago, GamerX51 said:

Unfortunately, not yet. It's high on our list however.

Hell yeah! This is such amazing news! I'm so looking forward to this!

But yes, I did have one little question about one of Male Kris' lines in his support with Luke. I talked about this on page 15, but basically I was wondering if one specific line of Male Kris' was going to be changed.

Anyway, I'm happy this is being worked on again. I'm lovin' all of the updates you've provided so far, to the point where I really believe this would be the best way for my friend to experience FE12 for the first time. Here's me wishing you guys the best!

On 2/21/2019 at 8:29 AM, PersonWithTime said:

Hell yeah! This is such amazing news! I'm so looking forward to this!

But yes, I did have one little question about one of Male Kris' lines in his support with Luke. I talked about this on page 15, but basically I was wondering if one specific line of Male Kris' was going to be changed.

Anyway, I'm happy this is being worked on again. I'm lovin' all of the updates you've provided so far, to the point where I really believe this would be the best way for my friend to experience FE12 for the first time. Here's me wishing you guys the best!

Sorry we missed it at that point.

Honestly, we haven't even started doing the Luke supports yet. But now that you've mentioned it, we'll put it on our check twice list for when we reach that point.

Does anyone have a link to some of the older versions, like patch v2.01, I wanna try some AR codes?

Speaking of AR codes, would anyone on the team be interested in converting a Japanese region code for Shadow Dragon to the US version? I have a tutorial for converting codes, all that is needed is a windows and an emulator.

4 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Does anyone have a link to some of the older versions, like patch v2.01, I wanna try some AR codes?

Speaking of AR codes, would anyone on the team be interested in converting a Japanese region code for Shadow Dragon to the US version? I have a tutorial for converting codes, all that is needed is a windows and an emulator.

I don't have a link in a moment, but I'm sure it exists somewhere in this thread. If I notice it at all, I'll be sure to repost it and tag you.

4 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Actually, does this patch include DLC?

Yes. All three DLC items, as well as the three DLC chapters, will be included in the patch. 

I double checked with the remnants of the old team, and it seems that the link on the first page is still the most current public version. That said, it's also two years old. We'll get an updated version out as soon as we're comfortable, but as stated before we aren't quite yet

@Emperor Hardin

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2019 at 10:16 PM, TriforceP said:

Sorry we missed it at that point.

Honestly, we haven't even started doing the Luke supports yet. But now that you've mentioned it, we'll put it on our check twice list for when we reach that point.

Thank you! And yes, do whatever you need at any pace you're comfortable with. I'm wishing you the best of luck guys!

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone! It’s been some time; apologies for the silence lately. We have been quite busy over these past six months doing a number of things, and we felt that it was only right to tell you all how we’ve been progressing over that time. 

For one, we’ve actually been learning to do this. Outside Hero of the Emblems, none of us have actually done any work on Fire Emblem modding at all, so it took some time to get used to it. This was an especially high hurdle in this case, since not only did we have to deal with translation and localization of text, but also editing graphics. While he’s not part of the team, I want to give a special shout-out to PikaSamus for sharing his expertise on graphics editing with us to help get through that. There were other issues regarding the ROM itself as well. Namely, there were a number of unnecessary repeat files, which were causing issues with the ROM’s performance. Cleaning that up fixed quite a few errors and bugs. We aren’t sure when exactly these files came to be in the ROM, but it seems to have happened at some point before we came on board; that said, we aren’t completely sure, and the issue is solved now. Lord Hyness took the lead on all of those technical issues, and, while some of those changes may be +invisible to all of you, they were imperative for the rest of us. 

That said, you may have noticed a lack of actual localization in that list of changes. That’s because there is a lot of overhead work going in. As has been stated before, we don’t just want to simply translate this game; we want to make it localized and polished to a point where it feels completely in line with the other games officially localized by Nintendo, down to painstaking details, down to a list of which games to prioritize when there’s conflicts in tone, localized names, etc (Shadow Dragon obviously topping that list as highest priority, followed by Echoes). This means quite a few man-hours going through already-localized games to cross reference and then document relevant passages in both English and Japanese, (especially collecting quotes from New Mystery itself that have already been localized via instances where the game was directly quoted) so that we can remain in line with references to the game in other entries in the series, even including Heroes and Warriors. Not only that, but we want to make sure we remain true to the characters. We want their tones and personalities to stay in line with how they’re portrayed in Shadow Dragon, Heroes, Shadows of Valentia, etc. This is a lot of work, but in the end, it’s worth it so we can put out the most accurate and enjoyable translation that we can create, in a reasonable amount of time.  

The release of Three Houses was both a boon and a large amount of new content to sift through. That game officially localized a lot of things from New Mystery which haven’t been previously localized, as well as from the other Japan-only games. An example of this is that the tome formerly called “Shaver” has now been officially localized as “Cutting Gale”. Even though it gives us more work, it allows for even more accuracy, which, as stated earlier, is the real goal of this patch. Currently, we are combing carefully through the content of Three Houses to find things relevant to New Mystery in our free time, but be rest assured we are striving to do so in a timely manner all the same.

If you want to help us in any way, we do have an important request: as previously mentioned, in order to put out the best product we can, we were hoping to collect quotes from every Fire Emblem and Fire Emblem-adjacent game... including Warriors and Tokyo Mirage Sessions, which both include numerous chunks of dialogue directly quoted from New Mystery. However, we have been unable to find complete text dumps for either of those games, which makes our research incredibly difficult with regards to those two. If any of you just so happen to know of a place where we could find such a text dump for either game, we would appreciate that more than you know.

That’s about it from what I can think of for this update. We have a LOT coming down the pipeline, even some things beyond just a basic ROM translation, and hopefully by the next time we make a big update post like this we’ll have even more to show you all. Unfortunately, quality takes time, but I promise it’ll all be worth the wait in the end.

Until next time!

-Team Hero-King

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2019 at 9:53 AM, TriforceP said:

including Warriors and Tokyo Mirage Sessions, which both include numerous chunks of dialogue directly quoted from New Mystery. However, we have been unable to find complete text dumps for either of those games, which makes our research incredibly difficult with regards to those two. If any of you just so happen to know of a place where we could find such a text dump for either game, we would appreciate that more than you know.

Hey, you made this post quite a long time ago, but with TMS#FE Encore coming out has got me and the TMSFE reddit reignited with interest into the game. I'm not sure if you still need help on that front, but if you need any quotes from specific chapters/scenarios, I can do what I can.

But for the most part, you can get most of the script from Serenes forest own TMS page: https://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Tokyo_Mirage_Sessions_♯FE

On 10/6/2019 at 11:43 PM, TheLaserSonic said:

Hey, you made this post quite a long time ago, but with TMS#FE Encore coming out has got me and the TMSFE reddit reignited with interest into the game. I'm not sure if you still need help on that front, but if you need any quotes from specific chapters/scenarios, I can do what I can.

But for the most part, you can get most of the script from Serenes forest own TMS page: https://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Tokyo_Mirage_Sessions_♯FE

Thank you for giving us that link, Sonic. While what you passed us won’t be the most current script for much longer, it gives us a place to look once Encore releases in January. When that game does come out, all of you wonderful people who donate your time to keep Serenes Forest updated, our main request would be to get those scripts for Encore up ASAP so as to better help the patch’s progress, (and of course, anyone else who has an interest in TMS).

The thing is, we don't really need partial scripts. We want to scour the entirity of the game, down to the most seemingly insignificant speech box, so we can search it for direct references to dialogue in FE12, or more commonly speech patterns or verbal nuances of characters to pay attention to (after all, everything in the patch should ideally be consistent with localized games). If you can help us with anything, it would be getting interested parties to get to work on Encore quickly once it releases. If there's something that can be done now, it would be nice if we could get people to finish the scripts for Warriors, including DLC and supports, as that's less likely to have a sudden resurgence in the near future. For both of the above, we should probably reach out to the Reddit community as well; thank you for bringing them to our attention.

Speaking of, we should discuss how Encore affected this project when it was announced.

As we previously said, we’re trying to collect the data for all officially localized dialogue in their most up to date forms. On the down side, TMS#FEE does push things back a little bit in this regard. We will continue to work, however, and focus on characters who don’t appear in TMS. That is a part of the reason we’re waiting on getting all of these quotes to finalize anything; we don’t want to waste time retranslating and reimplementing lines of dialogue we’ve already worked on simply as a result of discovering previously overlooked dialogue or a recent release we hadn’t kept up with, so that every bit of time we’re putting into this project is moving it closer to full completion. On the plus side, this will mean minimal changes to the patch will be required going forward from the most recent release, and once all of the data is current we will need to put in considerably less effort in the future. We’re laying the groundwork with the long term in mind currently.

As stated above, a finished script for Fire Emblem Warriors and its DLC in both English and Japanese is the best thing we can have right now, seeing as how Encore will update the content of TMS. If you guys could help out with that, it would take a lot of stress off of our shoulders. Don’t take this to mean that progress is necessarily at a standstill; we are currently still working on aspects of the patch related to characters who do not have any direct relation to TMS or Warriors. As of now, don’t expect our first patch until sometime after TMS Encore releases, so we can implement the changes in that rerelease. Thank you all once again for your patience, and I hope that the new translation will be worth the wait for all of you!

Best,

Project Hero-King

On 10/13/2019 at 10:31 AM, TriforceP said:

If you can help us with anything, it would be getting interested parties to get to work on Encore quickly once it releases. If there's something that can be done now, it would be nice if we could get people to finish the scripts for Warriors, including DLC and supports, as that's less likely to have a sudden resurgence in the near future. For both of the above, we should probably reach out to the Reddit community as well; thank you for bringing them to our attention. 

Yes, that would be the best way to do it. I might be able to help set up a call-out to places like r/TMSFE, r/FireEmblem and r/FireEmblemWarriors if you give me a place where they can direct their findings. Maybe send them a Discord link or something so you can relay what you want to them directly without having to go through a middle man like me.

I'm most obviously interested in helping out for TMS, but I don't imagine that Encore is going to completely overhaul every piece of dialogue, down to the topic and npc dialogue. I'm thinking we could make a start to the script using the vanilla version, and then simply compare it to the script of encore, adding in any extra lines that are new. Obviously there's quite a bit of logistics to get through with that plan, but it's a start.

Anyway, if it sounds good to you, sending me a detailed outline of what's needed from TMS would be most beneficial for getting this done, so people know what to look for.

• 3 months later...

All right folks, it's me again. 

Unfortunately, not a lot of great information from the past few months. Our team has become pretty strapped for time, with multiple of our members getting really busy, and personally I've taken a huge step back from the project to focus on school (I'm graduating college in six months so long as I can keep from failing classes for five minutes). Unfortunately, that's 1/3 of our project team, putting a massive hole in our ability to function. And remember that I'm just speaking for myself; the rest of the team is suffering from similar time issues. 

We've also been slowing down a lot in general. With TMS out, however, we have a newfound vigor, and hopefully we can get that taken care of quickly. We had a meeting today to set up a plan that focused on everyone's strong points, and hopefully we'll be able to get out of this funk at some point.

Thank you for keeping up with us through these past few months, and with any luck we'll finally get off the ground as a team.

-PHK

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear that things have been difficult lately. I hope everything goes swimmingly for you all from here on out (regarding personal lives and the translation).

I know there's people looking forward to this project so you have a lot of support from here! If you guys needed any extra hands I'm sure there are a ton of talented people on this site who could do a numerous amount of things. Like if you directly translated some sentences and you needed some of them to be polished up, I could totally help take some of the load off. I'd even do any necessary homework if needed be. But yeah, I'm sure there are a bunch of other people who could help contribute in others ways too. It's for a good cause.

Regardless, wishing y'all the best!

• 2 weeks later...

So many thank yous to everyone on this patch team, I wish you guys the best and look forward to the final project greatly! And I know this is a rather small thing to mention, particularly for an older part of the thread, but I couldn't help but notice that when I was looking over this thread, the first seven or so pages seemed to be half-dedicated to arguing over the issue of Naga's gender. This would be easily solved by instead of choosing either "he" or "she" (which as stated by a number of parties would or possibly would violate canon portrayals) or clunkily saying Naga over and over again, choosing to refer to Naga as "they." It's not clunky, and lines up with the concept of Naga being genderfluid, both in the localization gender retcon and the popular imagination.

25 minutes ago, aceredshirt13 said:

So many thank yous to everyone on this patch team, I wish you guys the best and look forward to the final project greatly! And I know this is a rather small thing to mention, particularly for an older part of the thread, but I couldn't help but notice that when I was looking over this thread, the first seven or so pages seemed to be half-dedicated to arguing over the issue of Naga's gender. This would be easily solved by instead of choosing either "he" or "she" (which as stated by a number of parties would or possibly would violate canon portrayals) or clunkily saying Naga over and over again, choosing to refer to Naga as "they." It's not clunky, and lines up with the concept of Naga being genderfluid, both in the localization gender retcon and the popular imagination.

. . .I, uh, appreciate the fact that you took the time to read the thread, but stuff like this is better off via PM.  It's been nearly three years, no need to bring up stuff from the past.

On 2/12/2020 at 8:38 PM, aceredshirt13 said:

Ahh no, I'm sorry, I'm new to the whole forum thing. Who should I best message about this?

TriforceP, his posts are a bit further up from your first one.

• 5 months later...

I don't think anyone posted a new update from Heroes that have new New Mystery of the Emblem content added recently to point out the stuff for the updated New Mystery of the Emblem patch. I did saw some changes were shown in Forging Bonds conversation in Fire Emblem Heroes that definitely deserves an update:

Stays:

Sera and 7th Platoon (I don't know if we already knew that since Luke, Roderick, and Katarina were added while ago?) 

Needs change:

Kris's grandfather name is MacLear

Also, I noticed Kris had used that quote from his grandfather's wish has spoke:

Real localized quote:

"Kris, become the sword of Altea. Acquire an unbreakable strength and devotion."

Quote from the fan translation patch:

"Kris, become Altea's sword. Aquire unbreakable power and loyalty."

Also, I managed to find a video to point out some sources were used, it only looks like just the Main Story C Support shown some FE12 and FE3 name implies as far as I know: