Updated FE12 translation patch (Beta 2 released!)

@RedEyedDrake as an item in 11/12, it's just Falchion. It's referred to as shinken/Exalted Falchion by the text, it itself is not in 11/12. It is, however, called shinken/Divine blade Falchion as an item in FE15, which is what prompted the change and confirms Marth's Falchion was "Exalted". It was also shinken in Fates's Japanese version but was translated as just Falchion, as opposed to being Exalted Falchion as in Echoes.

Alm's Falchion is just Falchion, the dialogue gives it an entirely different epithet- the Kingsfang Falchion, or the Divine Dragon King's Fang. The item itself for Alm is just Falchion, like with the item in 11/12. Shinken is dialogue only prior to 13, then 13 made it an item name to specify Marth's Falchion which was relocalized as Exalted.

The fact that Marth's Falchion was localized as Exalted in Echoes is the ONLY reason this is even on the table; otherwise it would not even come into consideration, and it should not entirely override "divine blade", because we are still beholden to consistency with 11. Archanea being a Holy Kingdom is something else entirely unless Echoes actually called it a Halidom in the localization?

And yes, when it is referred to as a "Divine Blade" in Shadow Dragon, shinken is used. That is officially speaking the original localization of the term before Awakening's localization changed it to Exalted Falchion.

And to keep in line with shadow Dragon, it should be used at best interchangeably, with preference given to "Divine Blade" like in 11, but Exalted Falchion being used once or twice in reference instead. Not the entire thing being flipped to Exalted which would somewhat contradict Shadow Dragon if done for every example and not a select few. I should also mention divine blade is not capitalized in FE11's dialogue in spite of my autocorrect trying to tell you otherwise, the epithet is lowercase @joesteve1914

ALSO, the star shards may possibly be localized as Astral Shards in Echoes's Undaunted Heroes dlc. So that's another thing to keep in mind, but we won't know for sure until the DLC launches.

@VincentASM wait... Katarina's Tome... it wouldn't happen to have the same kanji as Katarina's Book from Awakening would it? As in it could literally be a reference in name to the item?

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, VincentASM said:

Oh, did I ever tell you how to use the narrow width font?

I figured out how to in a hex editor (add ^ before each character). But there doesn't appear to be anyway to do that with the text inserter. Is there something I'm missing, or did you guys do all the narrow text manually in a hex editor?

1 hour ago, joesteve1914 said:

I figured out how to in a hex editor (add ^ before each character). But there doesn't appear to be anyway to do that with the text inserter. Is there something I'm missing, or did you guys do all the narrow text manually in a hex editor?

Sadly I don't have my notes.

What's the byte value for ^? Is it 88? If so, just prefix using [0x88]. Eg. [0x88]L[0x88]a[0x88]d[0x88]y[0x88]b[0x88]l[0x88]a[0x88]d[0x88]e.

I *think* there might even be a few [0x89] (or something) characters that are super narrow. But I don't think I made a full alphabet, so just use common sense.

Been too busy to comment at large, but I'll just clarify a few things.

1) Alm is "Saint-King" in Echoes. Not sure how to feel about that.

2) Katarina's Tome in New Mystery is different to the Awakening one. Same idea, but Awakening added an extra symbol to all cameo weapons etc.

3) Archanea is a shinseiokoku I believe. So it's off by one symbol, but a very important different all the same. I was suspicious of Ylisse and Archanea sharing similar names though.

4) In terms of dialogue, I think "divine blade" is fine. The English version of Echoes mentioned a "D/divine Falchion", although I forgot the context. When it comes to the weapon name, it should be "Exalted Falchion", but Shadow Dragon/New Mystery didn't have space to prefix it, so you don't have to worry about that.

EDIT

Oh, Echoes refers to it as the seiken (holy sword) Falchion at one point. Can't remember if that was in the original. Anyway, it could be an adjective or a title. Hard to say really.

Edited by VincentASM

On 5/22/2017 at 1:48 PM, joesteve1914 said:

Unfortunately official localizations take priority over anyone's opinions (including mine). Sorry :(

wait where was that localized

EDIT: also, for what it's worth, the again spell was localized as "anew" in FE15

Edited by dondon151

10 hours ago, dondon151 said:

wait where was that localized

EDIT: also, for what it's worth, the again spell was localized as "anew" in FE15

I explained where it was localized in my post. The chapter title appears in FE11 and it was localized as such.

4 hours ago, Ziko577 said:

Will this be just a name update patch or will it have other changes?

Joesteve did said that he's fixing the grammar and other things as well in the latest patch.

Edited by King Marth 64

Ok. I see. I was doing a playthrough of it and decided to wait for the updated patch. At least I got other things going on while I wait. I'm halfway finished with the game anyway.

Unfortunately some of the items are not going to fit-

Spoiler

tlbt_30362.pngtlbt_30307.pngtlbt_30385.png

I managed to make "Roderick's Lance" fit by making it "Lnc" (and "Pike" won't fit either), and I guess "Katarina's Book" will have to stay "Hellfire". Not sure what I'm going to do about "Clarisse's Bow" yet though... 

Also I changed "Camus's Pike" to "Camus's Lance" since it fits. 

Edited by joesteve1914

2 minutes ago, joesteve1914 said:

Unfortunately some of the items are not going to fit-

Hide contents

tlbt_30362.pngtlbt_30307.pngtlbt_30385.png

I managed to make "Roderick's Lance" fit by making it "Lnc" (and "Pike" won't fit either), and I guess "Katarina's Book" will have to stay "Hellfire". Not sure what I'm going to do about "Clarisse's Bow" yet though...

What about try with "Katarina's Bk" and "Clarisse's Bw"? I don't know what's the proper way to shorten Book and Bow?

17 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

What about try with "Katarina's Bk" and "Clarisse's Bw"? I don't know what's the proper way to shorten Book and Bow?

There isn't really a way to shorten them without it looking wrong/unclear. I'm going to try shrinking the font even more before I shorten anything.

So I uploaded a "beta" patch and it's in the OP. I haven't implemented everything yet (most notably the chapter titles), and it's unlikely I will get everything else sorted out until at least next weekend. Since I promised that the patch would be released by the end of May I decided to upload this tonight. 

My apologies to anyone looking forward to the patch's release by the end of May. I'm very busy during the week, and when I started this I had no idea how many things needed to be changed :D. Don't worry though, it will be completed eventually! I also apologize for not keeping a detailed list of the changes. That's long overdue and I'll get on that as soon as I can.

Also: I haven't playtested this much. I used Nintenlord's script editor almost exclusively, which seemed to work perfectly on the HoS patch (afaik), and I proofread everything after I edited it. So I'm not anticipating any typos or technical glitches. But if there are any, please post them here!

Edit - I forgot to mention that I used "Agnes" and kept "Binding Shield" since they're leading in the poll now. 

Edited by joesteve1914

Is a name chart still gonna be made so we can keep up with everything from Echoes like Ladyblade and Anew? As well as Mamorthod Desert, Falchion name, etc? Gra's Sun Sets and other things? Or is it going to be added to the OP without being a separate thing?

edit: confirmation of Mamorthod's name WVW69kXE-UYFKlbfn_.png

also, this is a suggestion, but Chapter 10 should probably be changed from "Two Sorcerers" to "Two Mages", seeing as how Sorcerer is an actual class in 11 and 12, and neither Merric or Arlen are in the Sorcerer line without reclassing (and there's only one plot critical sorcerer, Gharnef, so it has a lack of Two Sorcerers to refer to)

edit: to be fair here there's also Etzel, but why in the name of Naga would they be mentioned in the same sentence in that particular chapter?

3 hours ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

also, this is a suggestion, but Chapter 10 should probably be changed from "Two Sorcerers" to "Two Mages", seeing as how Sorcerer is an actual class in 11 and 12, and neither Merric or Arlen are in the Sorcerer line without reclassing (and there's only one plot critical sorcerer, Gharnef, so it has a lack of Two Sorcerers to refer to)

So I really don't know how much of a vote I have in this, but I think that what he suggests should be considered (and done, to be fair). I mean, even if the title of the chapter is to remain as a more "advanced" thing –and by that I mean how "Sorcerers" sounds more... uh, advanced and powerful than "Mages"– then it could be changed to "Two Sages" or "Two Apprentices/Disciples/whatever other synonym is there" (even if that would be getting kind of off way).

Because I think the reason "Sorcerers" was chosen over "Mages" in the first place is just 'cause it sounds more imposing.

33 minutes ago, Zelith said:

So I really don't know how much of a vote I have in this, but I think that what he suggests should be considered (and done, to be fair). I mean, even if the title of the chapter is to remain as a more "advanced" thing –and by that I mean how "Sorcerers" sounds more... uh, advanced and powerful than "Mages"– then it could be changed to "Two Sages" or "Two Apprentices/Disciples/whatever other synonym is there" (even if that would be getting kind of off way).

Because I think the reason "Sorcerers" was chosen over "Mages" in the first place is just 'cause it sounds more imposing.

Hmm... what about "Two Rivalry Disciples" since Merric and Arlen were disciples of Wendell?

Edited by King Marth 64

1 minute ago, King Marth 64 said:

Hmm... what about "Two Rivalry Disciples" since Merric and Alren were disciples of Wendell?

That sounds great, though I feel like we're getting a bit off from the original title. While "Two Rival ((<-- is that how you put it? or you put Rivalry? idk)) Disciples" sounds just awesome, since it inmediately tells you these two dudes have a rivalry going on, something along the lines of "Two Mage/Sage Disciples" could also kind of work. I mean, we would still keep the part of the title where a magic class is mentioned.

5 hours ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

Is a name chart still gonna be made so we can keep up with everything from Echoes like Ladyblade and Anew? As well as Mamorthod Desert, Falchion name, etc? Gra's Sun Sets and other things? Or is it going to be added to the OP without being a separate thing?

edit: confirmation of Mamorthod's name WVW69kXE-UYFKlbfn_.png

Yeah, I'm working on one in Google sheets right now. 

As for the chapter 10 title, I'll have to take a look at the Japanese title before I think about changing it. 

7 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

If you want to be fancy, you could say wizards. 

I was thinking that too, but I believe some magic user refering word that actually has a class in FE would fit better. I guess, at least –I mean, there's not a class in FE12 called "wizard", after all.

2 hours ago, Zelith said:

I was thinking that too, but I believe some magic user refering word that actually has a class in FE would fit better. I guess, at least –I mean, there's not a class in FE12 called "wizard", after all.

That's sort of ironically the problem here- Sorcerer is a class, but it isn't at all the classes of Merric and Arlen; thus it's severely out of place

For the record: the Japanese name of the chapter is 魔道士二人 , while the Japanese name of mages is 魔導士 . Meanwhile, Sorcerers are ソーサラー . If it hasnt been changed already in a more recent version or something, it probably should be Two Mages- at any rate, definitely not "sorcerers".

5 hours ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

For the record: the Japanese name of the chapter is 魔道士二人 , while the Japanese name of mages is 魔導士 . Meanwhile, Sorcerers are ソーサラー . If it hasnt been changed already in a more recent version or something, it probably should be Two Mages- at any rate, definitely not "sorcerers".

I'm no expert in Japanese but I think the name is quite literally "Two Mages".
Should we keep it like that, then? Because I'm still convinced that the reason why it was changed to Sorcerers is just because it sounds cooler.

I just got the Flycatcher a moment ago with the updated beta patch and it's description is "A lance only effective against against flyers." Against is double placed there and it shouldn't be . It's just a minor typo and so far nothing else seems out of place.

I'm seriously questioning their decision to relocalise the Starsphere as the Star Jacinth.

Like wtf even? Changing it once to Azure wasn't enough?

Edited by RJWalker

57 minutes ago, RJWalker said:

I'm seriously questioning their decision to relocalise the Starsphere as the Star Jacinth.

Isn’t it a different item, just like Alm’s Falchion is a different sword to Marth’s Falchion? Maybe they wanted to differentiate, who knows.

However, jacinth is such a misleading name. Jacinth is reddish-orange, not blue.

Edited by Vaximillian

22 hours ago, RJWalker said:

It's not the same item in the Japanese version. It's the Star Gemstone in the Japanese version, not the Star Orb/Starsphere. So they're not relocalizing Starsphere, they're localizing an entirely different item.

And, as said above, it's impossible to be the starsphere anyway since that thing is broken during Echoes with the pieces scattered across Archanea.

on that note, the orbs didn't have the same Japanese names in Awakening either. In Awakening, they were called the Five Flames- White Flame, Black Flame, etc. So Argent isn't a relocalization of the Lightsphere, and so on.

do we have an E.T.A. on the name chart yet?