Anti-Mages?

I think I'm pretty good against physical units, except Axe Armors (a trend may appear in a moment lol). I was hoping Fir's speed-based offense and decent resistance would be enough for taking out mages, but with 2 movement and that low HP, it's difficult to even approach them... So, what are some of the better units that I should be trying to roll for dealing with enemies of a more magical inclination?

Felicia, Shanna and Jagen are pretty solid as anti mage units. I've heard Jakob is pretty good as well. Look for units with Spur/Hone/Rally Res like Anna and Cecilia, as well.

= Edit =

Warding blow units are good too. Off the top of my head Sophia has Warding Blow.

Edited by Quintessence
Extra comments

Sadly, I find that this game has far fewer anti-mage units than units who are outright bad against magic. I hope future updates fix this. I've yet to actually pull someone other than Palla that can take hits from magic.

I do have Jagen, but I don't care to use him and for all I know, he'll turn out sucky like my Robin has.

Edited by Anacybele

Huh. That's weird. My Fir is actually pretty tanky against magic(she has like around 17 Res.). Guess RNG strikes again! 

Anywho, from my group(all around level 20, minus Felicia, who is Level 7 and Robin, who is Level 28):

Fir(Res.19)

Clarine(Res.21) 

Niles(Res.22)

Tharja(Res.15) She's fast though, more so with a skill.

Lissa(Res.17)

Felicia(Res.11)

Robin(Res.18)

Gwendolyn(Res 17...How? I have NO clue!)

7 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Sadly, I find that this game has far fewer anti-mage units than units who are outright bad against magic. I hope future updates fix this. I've yet to actually pull someone other than Palla that can take hits from magic.

I do have Jagen, but I don't care to use him and for all I know, he'll turn out sucky like my Robin has.

Jagen is pretty beast as a player phase unit, he gets Fury and Silver and will hit hard but his hp will drop quite fast, plus he gets to learn Aegis which halves indirect dmg. Robin is pretty awesome as he gets red and gray coverage with Blue Raven, has Bonfire which adds half def to dmg and has good skills like Defiant Spd and Spur Def. His my MVP (4*) at lv. 37+ above Lyn which is 5*.

3 minutes ago, Quintessence said:

Jagen is pretty beast as a player phase unit, he gets Fury and Silver and will hit hard but his hp will drop quite fast, plus he gets to learn Aegis which halves indirect dmg. Robin is pretty awesome as he gets red and gray coverage with Blue Raven, has Bonfire which adds half def to dmg and has good skills like Defiant Spd and Spur Def. His my MVP (4*) at lv. 37+ above Lyn which is 5*.

People told me Robin was really good too, which is why I gave him a chance. Said he was a great Takumi counter and stuff. Not for me, NOPE. My Robin is trash. Not risking the same happening with someone I care even less about.

Also, you mean Blarraven and Glowing Ember.

Edited by Anacybele

Felicia RES is excellent and has an SP skill that deals damaged based off of it. If she doesn't kill on the first round, she'll do so on the second round thanks to the DEF/RES -7 from silver dagger+. Est also has a good Res stat, and earns a passive skill that increases her Res at low health by up to 7. But like all direct attacking units, she can't do anything against mages hiding behind walls, only those behind mountains, pits, and forests thanks to flight.

Edited by Gustavos

Magic hasn't been a problem for me in a long time now, since I have two very good magic killer units in my team that I could suggest for everyone: Peri and Niles. 

Peri(5*) has 3 move which helps her reaching the target and having very good res (33 at level 40) and enough speed to not get doubled and enough strength to kill em. Peri can also bait and tank the enemy mages attack and upon next turn, debuff enemies defense within 2 spaces with threaten def- skill.

Niles(4*) also deals good damage to mages with low defense and the Killer bow/Iceberg combination allows niles to add half of his high res stat(32 at level 40) to damage dealt in one round if he doubles the mage. Niles(4*) has also access to warding blow 3 which grants res+6 during combat if unit initiates the attack and Spur res 2 to grant res+3 to adjacent allies during combat.

The only mage that has been problem for me is the physically tanky robin who can survive peri and deal heavy damage to my niles. I'd say Nino is very good Robin counter as I have almost always managed to double and thus, 1RKO Robins in the arena with Nino(4*).

52 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

People told me Robin was really good too, which is why I gave him a chance. Said he was a great Takumi counter and stuff. Not for me, NOPE. My Robin is trash. Not risking the same happening with someone I care even less about.

Also, you mean Blarraven and Glowing Ember.

You probably are stuck with the 3* version, though, and he's totally worth the 4 and 5*. Bonfire is the upgraded Glowing Ember. Now if you don't mind him then that's another thing but he isn't nearly as bad as you say so.

3 minutes ago, Quintessence said:

You probably are stuck with the 3* version, though, and he's totally worth the 4 and 5*. Bonfire is the upgraded Glowing Ember. Now if you don't mind him then that's another thing but he isn't nearly as bad as you say so.

Except he is bad for me. Yes, he's three star, but his stats are significantly lower than my other three star magic people (Corrin and Lissa) and they're all at a similar level. Other Robins might be good, but mine isn't. He got stat screwed and isn't worth it. I know an upgrade would reset his stats, but considering how bad he turned out the first time, he probably has an unfavorable boon and bane.

Edited by Anacybele

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Except he is bad for me. Yes, he's three star, but his stats are significantly lower than my other three star magic people (Corrin and Lissa) and they're all at a similar level. Other Robins might be good, but mine isn't. He got stat screwed and isn't worth it. I know an upgrade would reset his stats, but considering how bad he turned out the first time, he probably has an unfavorable boon and bane.

Mages have less stats at level 40 than every other non-ninja/healer class because they attack at range. At 5* he's probably the best Tamuki counter in the game, which is why he's one of the most popular characters out there in arena. 3* won't cut it no matter what type of boon/bane combo you have.

Camilla is a pretty good mage-killer on offence. Most mages don't have great speed, and then when combined with her brave axe she's 1 rounding most of them. And Roy does a good job of tanking non-blue mages. 

1 hour ago, TheNiddo said:

Mages have less stats at level 40 than every other non-ninja/healer class because they attack at range. At 5* he's probably the best Tamuki counter in the game, which is why he's one of the most popular characters out there in arena. 3* won't cut it no matter what type of boon/bane combo you have.

Wait, are you assuming that I'd been trying to use him in the arena and that that's why I'm saying he sucks? Because that's not the case. I was having a real hard time leveling him up in the tower, even rather early on. He got several bad level ups too. I never once tried to use him in the arena. Or in the story, for that matter.

Cecilia, even as a 4-star, may struggle against other mages, even those she has WTA over - she may sometimes deliver a good amount of burst damage but she usually doesn't ORKO anything unless she's at a significantly higher level than the target is, the target's weakened enough to be put into KO range for Cecilia, and/or the target is an armored unit (preferably one she has WTA over). She's also rather slow (many enemy units easily double her) and quite frail, not taking physical hits very well even from lance users. Even her rather high Res stat can be useless especially in the face of anti-cavalry mages, including those that have WTD against her. The only magic attacks Cecilia can reasonably tank are those coming from staves users due to her high Res and the Gronnraven(+) tome giving her WTA over them.

Her Rally Resistance can make a difference if the recipient of it gets attacked by a mage that has WTD or WTN against the unit but it may not make a difference at all if the enemy mage has WTA over the Rally Res recipient; my 5* lv. 38 neutral Res Lyn got ORKO'd from full HP by a 4* ~lv. 35 mounted blue mage on Narcian's hard map even while buffed by Rally Res.

Edited by Roflolxp54

4 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Felicia, Niles, and Shanna are the best ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Felicia and Shanna also get skills that use their Res for offense, so that's nice.

Niles also gets one of those skills actually! He has the weaker/faster version of Glacies (forget the name at the moment) which goes pretty well with Killer Bow. Unfortunately I think anti-mage duty is about all Niles is good for, but if it's what your team needs, that's somethin.

Felicia is probably the best one TBH. Seconding Fir as also being pretty good for baiting and tanking them to go in for the kill (though someone who can counterattack them would be better IMO. Being a flier is cool too though)

Sophia is also pretty good as a Magic tank if you can get her to 4*; she's usable (ATVL) starting at 3* though. I just ground the second event Sophia up to 3* and she's always been pretty decent at anti-mage duty for me (at least in the lower ranks/difficulties lol. Admittedly I haven't used her much higher)

5 hours ago, Quintessence said:

Felicia, Shanna and Jagen are pretty solid as anti mage units. I've heard Jakob is pretty good as well. Look for units with Spur/Hone/Rally Res like Anna and Cecilia, as well.

= Edit =

Warding blow units are good too. Off the top of my head Sophia has Warding Blow.

I find it kinda funny that Jeigan is supposed to be an anti mage unit, when Mage is just about the only enemy type that can realistically make Fury into a skill with downside(on paper Fury normally have zero downside)

The best mage killer is Kagero. Basically oneshots any infantry mage at 5*. With warding attack and high default res, she is a beast at weakening even the horse mages. It helps that she can oneshot Takumi's too. Sadly, she is not free. :( Most Ninja and Pegasus knights have high res. But nothing in the game as far as I can tell are actual anti mages. The only chars with Tome Breakers are Tome users. :/

Kagero cant one shot takumi or robin tbh i have all three units 5* maxed my kagero has +atk -def and she gets beat by robin cause his speed is normally faster and kagero can only critically injure the enemy mages or takumi

6 hours ago, BANRYU said:

Niles also gets one of those skills actually! He has the weaker/faster version of Glacies (forget the name at the moment) which goes pretty well with Killer Bow. Unfortunately I think anti-mage duty is about all Niles is good for, but if it's what your team needs, that's somethin.

Felicia is probably the best one TBH. Seconding Fir as also being pretty good for baiting and tanking them to go in for the kill (though someone who can counterattack them would be better IMO. Being a flier is cool too though)

Sophia is also pretty good as a Magic tank if you can get her to 4*; she's usable (ATVL) starting at 3* though. I just ground the second event Sophia up to 3* and she's always been pretty decent at anti-mage duty for me (at least in the lower ranks/difficulties lol. Admittedly I haven't used her much higher)

My felicia's attack is horrible being a base of 30 cause that is her bane as a 5* at lvl 40. her res for me is 38 and her speed doesnt al ways let her atk 2x which she really needs cause her damage only comes from her ability. I wouldn't rank felicia high in arena atm i would say a good anit mage is robin or linde either kill enemy mage fast for bait with robin cause ai tend to attack what is in their face.

felicia and kagero eat mages for dinner. camilla also has high res, although you probably want her way out of red mages. linde nukes everything regardless of class as long as you keep her out of range from physical units. i havent trained up niles but hes got high res as well.