Spoiler-free advice on sidequests.recruitment in Path of Radiance

I'm playing Path of Radiance for the first time. Having played fire emblem 6 and 7, I know how hard and secretive the conditions to recruiting certain characters and unlocking side chapters. And Shadow Dragon makes it impossible to unlock hidden chapters without killing your own units.

I would like to play the game getting all the units and unlocking all the side chapters (If possible), So I would like to know, with minimal spoilers, are there any unlocking/recruiting conditions that I should be aware of before going into the game, or is the game pretty intuitive on these conditions

One character in chapter 15 requires one of two certain units to recruit. Also, early on, two of your units will leave. It is possible to get them back, but you'll need some shoving to get the first one (he's only recruitable by the new character in the chapter in which he reappears, and the recruiter is liable to die if you can't get to her on turn 1), and the other one is so poorly hinted at that I might as well tell you outright - to get him back you have to have him talk with Rolf (he'll even talk to Rolf if he's within movement range), then defeat him with Ike (the main character).

3 minutes ago, Mr.Mostache said:

Thanks. That's the kind of help I was hoping for. It would be ok to let me know the chapter numbers of the ones you mentioned.

I assume from your post that there are no "side quests" in this game?

I already mentioned chapter 15 (btw, that one is a desert map), so that leaves the others; the first one of those characters I hinted at shows up in chapter 13, and the other one doesn't show up until chapter 18. 

Yeah, there's no side quests in this game.

Chapter 11: A wyvern rider will appear on the map, looking kinda recruitable. She is, but in Chapter 12. If she dies in Chapter 11, you don't get her.

Various: When you get access to a 'Base' menu to prepare units, you will see a section called 'Info conversations'. A number of characters are unlocked for listening to them.

Chapter 16: Make sure to bring a kid. Check the 'Conv' column in the Unit List to see who counts as a kid. I believe you should have access to five, including one that can't have died yet.

Apart from that, I think all the other recruitments are self-explanatory. Remember to check your 'Conv' column to make sure you know who can do the recruiting: it's not always Ike.

56 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Chapter 11: A wyvern rider will appear on the map, looking kinda recruitable. She is, but in Chapter 12. If she dies in Chapter 11, you don't get her.

Various: When you get access to a 'Base' menu to prepare units, you will see a section called 'Info conversations'. A number of characters are unlocked for listening to them.

Chapter 16: Make sure to bring a kid. Check the 'Conv' column in the Unit List to see who counts as a kid. I believe you should have access to five, including one that can't have died yet.

Apart from that, I think all the other recruitments are self-explanatory. Remember to check your 'Conv' column to make sure you know who can do the recruiting: it's not always Ike.

Also related to chapter 11: Stay away from the house directly north of your starting position. A nigh, and I mean literally unkillable, enemy will pop out of that house. Also, the recruitable enemy requires talking to a laguz unit (either Lethe or Mordecai - incidentally, they are the only units who can get the secret unit in chapter 15) to recruit.

Chapter 3: Once you cross over a certain part of the map, a Pegasus knight will show up, looking like a recruitable. She is - she just won't join in that chapter. You need to have Ike talk to her to recruit her later.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia