Shut up, Ephraim.

Jaoenkatsu

Cleared normal and hard mode of Family bonds. You know they did something wrong with Ephraim's character when EIRIKA of all people has to tell him to shut up. 

But besides that, just more sappy dialogue between the siblings. Something tells me whoever wrote the script didn't actually play Sacred Stones. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, they did kind of butcher his character. He never went on and on about his sibling bond. He was all about winning the battle on his own terms, he didn't talk much of any bond, though I'm sure it still existed.

However, I do like how IS dropped that indirect debunking of the whole Ephraim x Eirika pairing rumor. Ephraim also says their bond is so strong that people spread lies about them. This HAS to be a reference to people thinking the two go for incest together and IS's way of telling us "stop it, these two are NOT doing incest." Thumbs up, IS.

Edited by Anacybele

You sure love the dialogue in this game, don't you?  This would be the second complaint topic from you, IIRC.

I think the sibling thing was played up for the sake of the theme.  Eph's rather brash personality, on the other hand, came through nice and clear.  Kind of wish Eir could say the same.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, they did kind of butcher his character. He never went on and on about his sibling bond. He was all about winning the battle on his own terms, he didn't talk much of any bond, though I'm sure it still existed.

However, I do like how IS dropped that indirect debunking of the whole Ephraim x Eirika pairing rumor. Ephraim also says their bond is so strong that people spread lies about them. This HAS to be a reference to people thinking the two go for incest together and IS's way of telling us "stop it, these two are NOT doing incest." Thumbs up, IS.

Either I just got lucky in never reading about that, or you visit allllll~ the wrong places. :P:

12 minutes ago, FangXV said:

Either I just got lucky in never reading about that, or you visit allllll~ the wrong places. :P:

I heard a rumor once that Ephraim and Eirika had a romantic ending in the Japanese version of Sacred Stones. But I never believed it. I've also still seen some people ship them as lovers anwyay.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

I noticed this as well and thought it was hilarious.

10 minutes ago, 1japanfan said:

I noticed this as well and thought it was hilarious.

Quite frankly I took it as a sign fuelling it more than anything. Particularly when added on top of how much Ephraim was going on about his sister it seemed like the "suspiciously specific denial" trope. Like when somebody brings up a subject nobody else was bringing up because its true and they end up trying to deny it before anyone mentions it (which in turn basically makes them accidentally admit it while trying to deny it).

There's no way to argue that IS didn't drop some significant hints in FE8 about them. Particularly who their weapon's names were taken from, and their whole C Support. And multiple suitors of Erikia comparing themselves to Ephraim. And IS ain't afraid of incest, they made it a whole plot point in FE4... which is the game they paired FE8 with for the paralouge. 

I don't think its a canon ending or anything like that (though I don't think they'd be willing to flat out confirm it if it was because they almost never say which pairings are canon for FE)... but bare minimum they're at "if we weren't related we'd hook up" level of closeness. 

i think they did fine on ephriams character, minus the cheesy sibling bond they keep bringing up every second line. works for seliph and julia, but ephriam and eirika were less verbal about it iirc.

i loved the line debunking the incest. the way ephriam delivered it was the least subtle callout ive ever seen.

on another note, does anyone else find eirika going on about how she isnt as strong as her brother cringy?

8 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I don't know why you guys are worked up about their dialogue in a mobile spin-off.

This.

Though I'd say in that noise of generic garbage there was place for quite a decent lvl-40 Takumi monologue. It's surprisingly well-written. Probably there are some other cases like this one. 

Anyway i suggest TC changes his attidute since In case of mobile spin-off you'd save a lot of nerves if you expect shit writing all the time. :) Thus you'll be genuinely cheered up by some decent pieces here and there.

Edited by Avestus

I laughed when Eirika told Ephraim to shut up and stop ranting.

24 minutes ago, TheNiddo said:

Quite frankly I took it as a sign fuelling it more than anything. Particularly when added on top of how much Ephraim was going on about his sister it seemed like the "suspiciously specific denial" trope. Like when somebody brings up a subject nobody else was bringing up because its true and they end up trying to deny it before anyone mentions it (which in turn basically makes them accidentally admit it while trying to deny it).

There's no way to argue that IS didn't drop some significant hints in FE8 about them. Particularly who their weapon's names were taken from, and their whole C Support. And multiple suitors of Erikia comparing themselves to Ephraim. And IS ain't afraid of incest, they made it a whole plot point in FE4... which is the game they paired FE8 with for the paralouge. 

I don't think its a canon ending or anything like that (though I don't think they'd be willing to flat out confirm it if it was because they almost never say which pairings are canon for FE)... but bare minimum they're at "if we weren't related we'd hook up" level of closeness. 

This, seriously. I also doubt it's a specific reference to the rumors that once spread around the fandom considering a) I'm pretty that wasn't a rumor over in Japan at all, and b) it's pretty old and referencing a random old rumor like that would be pretty strange. It seems more like a deliberate tease.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

53 minutes ago, Saleh said:

i loved the line debunking the incest. the way ephriam delivered it was the least subtle callout ive ever seen.

33 minutes ago, Florete said:

This, seriously. I also doubt it's a specific reference to the rumors that once spread around the fandom considering a) I'm pretty that wasn't a rumor over in Japan at all, and b) it's pretty old and referencing a random old rumor like that would be pretty strange. It seems more like a deliberate tease.

I actually saw a couple people over on the sub mention how it was specifically added in localization and that the original Japanese script doesn't have it. 

5 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

I actually saw a couple people over on the sub mention how it was specifically added in localization and that the original Japanese script doesn't have it. 

That figures. The west cracks down harder on controversial stuff like this.

11 hours ago, Anacybele said:

That figures. The west cracks down harder on controversial stuff like this.

Welp, those people were wrong. Just checked Rey's tumblr and:

It’s worse in Japanese.
1. He won’t shut up about the strength of the “Love between brother and sister”.
Note these kanji.
He says *deep love between brother and sister*. He could have went with 絆 (bonds) and not 兄妹の愛 and everything would be cool.
愛 is… like come on man. You don’t say that ad nauseum if you don’t want people to misunderstand you.

2. He doesn’t say the “disgusting” line in JP. Only 妙な噂 “strange rumors”.

3. When Eirika corrects him, it’s always about their love being misunderstood in his phrasing.

4. Friendly reminder: Siegmund and Sieglinde, their weapons, are literally incestuous twins.

5. They are in the same pack as two characters famous for FE4 incest jokes.

IS is literally making the jokes, not denying them.

Sacred stones is my favorite game, but the dialogue doesn't really make a difference to me. I just like how they made Ephraim look a little more grown up in this game. I̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶a̶g̶r̶e̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶e̶i̶r̶i̶k̶a̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶u̶l̶d̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶t̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶E̶p̶h̶r̶a̶i̶m̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶h̶u̶t̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶s̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶l̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶a̶c̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶s̶a̶c̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶s̶.

Edited by Arcanite
Spelling error

1 minute ago, 1japanfan said:

Julia and Seliph were never incestuous. Can someone clarify the incest in FE4, as all I can think of is Arvis and Deirdre.

In game it is possible to pair them together with a glitch.

Also, that conversation was a good laugh, and it seems like the localisation was a toning down. :P

7 minutes ago, 1japanfan said:

Julia and Seliph were never incestuous. Can someone clarify the incest in FE4, as all I can think of is Arvis and Deirdre.

It was also possible to get a kissing cousins situation in Gen 2, don't remember who just that I saw it in an LP and the dialogue for them was them laughing about the fact they were in fact kissing cousins.

Julia and Seliph nearly were in terms of lore. Their affection points start extremely high but go down over time. Which is why its possible to glitch them into being a couple.

6 minutes ago, TheNiddo said:

It was also possible to get a kissing cousins situation in Gen 2, don't remember who just that I saw it in an LP and the dialogue for them was them laughing about the fact they were in fact kissing cousins.

Julia and Seliph nearly were in terms of lore. Their affection points start extremely high but go down over time. Which is why its possible to glitch them into being a couple.

There's quite a few kissing cousins options in second gen FE4, depending on who you paired up from gen 1. Ares/Nanna is just the one I remember right off the top of my head, since they're cousins no matter what.

Edited by Extrasolar

2 hours ago, Extrasolar said:

There's quite a few kissing cousins options in second gen FE4, depending on who you paired up from gen 1. Ares/Nanna is just the one I remember right off the top of my head, since they're cousins no matter what.

The ones I can name are Faval and Lana, Patty and Lester, Nanna and Ares(WHICH IS STUPID, THAT THEY HAVE A CONVERSATION OVER HIS SORT OF CANONICAL RELATIONSHIP PARTNER LENE!!!) and I think Larcei and Shanan. I am pretty sure there is some implications of Arthur and Tine.

"kissing cousins" is probably an oversight, the same happened in Awakening since you could actually have some very weird and incestuous pairings there. A third gen Morgan can end up marrying an aunt or uncle! Or if male Robin married Lissa, and Chrom married, say, Olivia, you could have a female Morgan wed her cousin Inigo.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

"kissing cousins" is probably an oversight, the same happened in Awakening since you could actually have some very weird and incestuous pairings there. A third gen Morgan can end up marrying an aunt or uncle! Or if male Robin married Lissa, and Chrom married, say, Olivia, you could have a female Morgan wed her cousin Inigo.

I'm not so sure. Cousin marriage was perfectly normal back in the time period that FE generally takes place in, and in Japan I believe it's still legal (correct me if I'm wrong, somebody.) It's even still legal in some US states, but it's generally way more frowned upon in the west than the east.

For royalty, it was one of the ways of keeping the royal/noble blood in the family.