Shut up, Ephraim.

Jaoenkatsu

49 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

"kissing cousins" is probably an oversight, the same happened in Awakening since you could actually have some very weird and incestuous pairings there. A third gen Morgan can end up marrying an aunt or uncle! Or if male Robin married Lissa, and Chrom married, say, Olivia, you could have a female Morgan wed her cousin Inigo.

In a game where incest is a plot point?

Nope, fully intended. One of those kissing cousin conversations was even "tee hee isn't this funny, we're cousins but we're in love?" more or less. And then there was this one princess who really really wanted to bang her brother (but he ended up dying in battle). The manga version of the story had her confessing her love to him. In the middle of a battlefield.

FE4 had all da incest. All of it. FE5 made adultery during FE4 canon as well. I don't really like Fates much at all but IIRC Corrin and Azura are cousins and can marry, yes? Like, blood cousins not the adopted situation with the other family members. And there's all the subtext for FE8.

IS doesn't shy away from incest or kissing cousins when they feel it fits. With FE its basically "if there is even a hint, its pretty likely happening/desired by the parties involved" when it comes to those categories specifically.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

"kissing cousins" is probably an oversight, the same happened in Awakening since you could actually have some very weird and incestuous pairings there. A third gen Morgan can end up marrying an aunt or uncle! Or if male Robin married Lissa, and Chrom married, say, Olivia, you could have a female Morgan wed her cousin Inigo.

I don't think it was an oversight in the original programming, but an oversight on the localization team for NoA release. Japan is just one part of the world where first cousin marriage is legal (and apparently not frowned upon to the degree it is here in the US). Owain/Lucina who are cousins no matter what have a romantic S Support in Japan while localization changed the Owain and Lucina Support to be platonic, and instead of "Husband/Wife" they were "Companions". Like how in Fates, Midori and Asugi who are always cousins, have a non-romantic relationship in the NoA release, but have a romantic one in the Japanese release.

So coming back to FE4, IS was totally fine with any of the cousin marriages (some of which had a lot of support---Nanna/Ares, for one), but obviously not Seliph and Julia since they're half siblings. And even with the half sibling relationships, IS was trying to push how tragic it was that they couldn't be together. . . ah, the days of the Shouzou Kaga era.

Edited by Iris

10 minutes ago, Iris said:

I don't think it was an oversight in the original programming, but an oversight on the localization team for NoA release. Japan is just one part of the world where first cousin marriage is legal (and apparently not frowned upon to the degree it is here in the US). Owain/Lucina who are cousins no matter what have a romantic S Support in Japan while localization changed the Owain and Lucina Support to be platonic, and instead of "Husband/Wife" they were "Companions". Like how in Fates, Midori and Asugi who are always cousins, have a non-romantic relationship in the NoA release, but have a romantic one in the Japanese release.

So coming back to FE4, IS was totally fine with any of the cousin marriages (some of which had a lot of support---Nanna/Ares, for one), but obviously not Seliph and Julia since they're half siblings. And even with the half sibling relationships, IS was trying to push how tragic it was that they couldn't be together. . . ah, the days of the Shouzou Kaga era.

So in japan, It is possible for ephriam AND eirika to get married huh? good to know. regardless i still get a laugh out of Ephriams "Disgusting" whenever i watch videos of that chapter.

No, Ephrain and Eirika don't get married in the Japanese version. I was referencing Ana's post where I think she was referring to the Kissing cousins part in FE4. It could be a misread on my part, though.

There's very slight subtext between Eirika and Ephraim, but they do not have an incestuous relationship. Their "incestuous" subtext pales to many of the FE4 sibling relationships . . . Eltoshan and Raquesis, Seliph and Yuria, and heck, even Arthur and Tinny. Again, sibling marriage is not allowed in Japan (and I'm not sure where in the world it is), so regardless, I doubt IS would ever make a future FE game with a potential one.

Edited by Iris

4 hours ago, 1japanfan said:

Julia and Seliph were never incestuous. Can someone clarify the incest in FE4, as all I can think of is Arvis and Deirdre.

The Genealogy manga also implied a relationship between Seliph and Julia.

By the way, I may have deleted you from my Friend List in Heroes a while back... I was making room for my irl friends and just randomly got rid of some people.

On 16/02/2017 at 8:39 AM, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I don't know why you guys are worked up about their dialogue in a mobile spin-off.

I don't mean to be rude as I don't particularly care for the bad writing in this game as I'm playing it for the collectables, nostalgia and enjoyable gameplay, but being a mobile spin-off shouldn't be used as an excuse for poor writing.

Just now, SlipperySlippy said:

I don't mean to be rude as I don't particularly care for the bad writing in this game as I'm playing it for the collectables, nostalgia and enjoyable gameplay, but being a mobile spin-off shouldn't be used as an excuse for poor writing.

I just find it funny. Maybe it completely goes against what Ephraim was like in SS, but this game was never that serious to begin with to me.

1 minute ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I just find it funny. Maybe it completely goes against what Ephraim was like in SS, but this game was never that serious to begin with to me.

Being humourous is definitely better than nothing, which a lot of mobile games fall under, so no complaints there. Because of limitations to character dialogue, I understand they can't go for any character development and it's easier to focus on a singular trait to get a point across, but alas one could always hope for more.

5 minutes ago, SlipperySlippy said:

Being humourous is definitely better than nothing, which a lot of mobile games fall under, so no complaints there. Because of limitations to character dialogue, I understand they can't go for any character development and it's easier to focus on a singular trait to get a point across, but alas one could always hope for more.

Well its also the question of... what more character development can you get with existing characters when their main game is done? especially when its completely random what characters you can pull from a gatcha. what SHOULD be getting more character development is the actual new characters introduced, the ending of chapter 9 doesnt fully explain everything there is for them. So the existing characters not really getting any development don't need to in my eyes since they already had a whole game of their own to do so.

i'm i the only one thinking Ephraim's voice acting sounds like Orochimaru from Naruto? Plus i'm kinda annoyed how he said "WONDERFUL" when using his skill, his tone is just not fitting. Ephraim should sound like a really stoic person like in FE8, not like a stupid battle-loving freak

7 minutes ago, Eruno said:

Ephraim should sound like a really stoic person like in FE8, not like a stupid battle-loving freak

Is he really that stoic and not a battle-loving freak in Sacred Stones? All he does is fights, fights and then fights some more.

I didn't imagine his voice being this high though.

Edited by Vaximillian

3 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Is he really that stoic and not a battle-loving freak in Sacred Stones? All he does is fights, fights and then fights some more.

I didn't imagine his voice being this high though.

well, the thing about Ephraim being stoic is just the way i see him, it's just his voice acting that bothers me, plus the "battle-loving freak" makes me think like he is a bad guy, lel

3 hours ago, Thany said:

Well its also the question of... what more character development can you get with existing characters when their main game is done? especially when its completely random what characters you can pull from a gatcha. what SHOULD be getting more character development is the actual new characters introduced, the ending of chapter 9 doesnt fully explain everything there is for them. So the existing characters not really getting any development don't need to in my eyes since they already had a whole game of their own to do so.

Yup, priority is working on the unique story and characters, however I think it's somewhat clear that they don't really care about making a prevalent story with much character development. There's more focus on gameplay & nostalgia, which is expected in most gacha games.

10 hours ago, TheNiddo said:

In a game where incest is a plot point?

Nope, fully intended. One of those kissing cousin conversations was even "tee hee isn't this funny, we're cousins but we're in love?" more or less. And then there was this one princess who really really wanted to bang her brother (but he ended up dying in battle). The manga version of the story had her confessing her love to him. In the middle of a battlefield.

FE4 had all da incest. All of it. FE5 made adultery during FE4 canon as well. I don't really like Fates much at all but IIRC Corrin and Azura are cousins and can marry, yes? Like, blood cousins not the adopted situation with the other family members. And there's all the subtext for FE8.

IS doesn't shy away from incest or kissing cousins when they feel it fits. With FE its basically "if there is even a hint, its pretty likely happening/desired by the parties involved" when it comes to those categories specifically.

I thought the only plot point incest was the Deirdre and Arvis thing or something like that.

But other than plot point business or if you're distantly related (which first cousin doesn't fall into), I don't approve of incest at all and find it gross.

5 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I thought the only plot point incest was the Deirdre and Arvis thing or something like that.

But other than plot point business or if you're distantly related (which first cousin doesn't fall into), I don't approve of incest at all and find it gross.

The only **confirmed** case of incest (that is, resulting in marriage and children) was Deirdre and Arvis, but Eldigan and Raquesis' last conversation in the game is so heavily implied to be incestuous (very similar, and more overt than Priscilla's crush on Raven), you'd have to be blind not to see it, and to a far lesser extent, Julia's crush on Seliph. . . then you have all the 1st cousin stuff mentioned in the thread in Genealogy. If Genealogy ever gets remade, I wonder how localization will handle it. . . 

7 minutes ago, Iris said:

The only **confirmed** case of incest (that is, resulting in marriage and children) was Deirdre and Arvis, but Eldigan and Raquesis' last conversation in the game is so heavily implied to be incestuous (very similar, and more overt than Priscilla's crush on Raven), you'd have to be blind not to see it, and to a far lesser extent, Julia's crush on Seliph. . . then you have all the 1st cousin stuff mentioned in the thread in Genealogy. If Genealogy ever gets remade, I wonder how localization will handle it. . . 

You forgot about Sylvia and Claude. Claude has a long lost sister about Sylvia's age. Sylvia grew up an orphan and is of the bloodline of Claude's family. The conversation in which you find that out gives them a lot of love points to pair them up (they're arguably the best pairing for Sylvia). Then the thing is never brought up again...

10 minutes ago, salinea said:

You forgot about Sylvia and Claude. Claude has a long lost sister about Sylvia's age. Sylvia grew up an orphan and is of the bloodline of Claude's family. The conversation in which you find that out gives them a lot of love points to pair them up (they're arguably the best pairing for Sylvia). Then the thing is never brought up again...

I left them out because they aren't a confirmed case at all. I still think it's more likely that Sylvia is probably a cousin, or distant relation, but there's no strong evidence towards either.

. . . Oh yeah, and not able to be paired, but leaving siblings Arthur and Tinny unpaired and reading their conversation in the final chapter . . . yup, FE4 is incest Emblem.

6 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Well then, it's a good thing your approval isn't required.

17 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

The Genealogy manga also implied a relationship between Seliph and Julia.

By the way, I may have deleted you from my Friend List in Heroes a while back... I was making room for my irl friends and just randomly got rid of some people.

That's fine do you want me to send another one or keep it as is?

2 hours ago, salinea said:

Sylvia and Claude are cousins.

6 hours ago, Iris said:

I left them out because they aren't a confirmed case at all. I still think it's more likely that Sylvia is probably a cousin, or distant relation, but there's no strong evidence towards either.

. . . Oh yeah, and not able to be paired, but leaving siblings Arthur and Tinny unpaired and reading their conversation in the final chapter . . . yup, FE4 is incest Emblem.

It's not a dead certain fact, but without addressing it again it goes against all narrative law for them not to be siblings... like it's one hell of a coincidence, "oh no you were just a cousin after all. Also long lost!"

When I heard about it, I couldn't help but laugh. This old joke never gets actually old. Nostalgia my friends.
'IS is literally making the jokes ', that what I was felling.