Character Strategy&Teammates combos!

Roxachronc

The aim of this thread will be about  how to ise certain units and teammate combinations that work extremely well and  have good synergy overall.

This idea began because there are people that sometimes struggle against certain characters be either in story or arena and dont know how to deal with them, obviously arena is where this takes much more importance especially with Takumis and Lucinas running rampant.

This is also because the game being still fresh and the meta still new that some characters are somewhat unexplored or underrated and are somewhat difficult to play with because they are not very straightforward.

So to began I will begin with a combo that I have been very fond of, not only because of my biased no homo love for our boy, but because I began learned how to utilize him properly to deal with characters that is supposed to have a bleak matchup against.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So my team began when trying to figure how to play with Roy and a good way to utilize its skills and teammates that could take advantage of what it can offer to a team

[Roy](+SPD/-DEF)

With this bokn and bane he cannot get doubled by anything that is not Linde or +SPD Red Lords, which is important since it means it can tank a hit from robin(even with the stupid disadvantage from the triangle) then deal some damage to him to get into the range Takumi can kill it and also set up Revenge for next turn, it also means it wins against all the Red units 1 vs 1 as long as they attack first(like a +ATK Lucina cannot double and a +SPD fails to OHKO and both get killed next turn), Roy basically can lure and kill anything that is not blue colored.

[Lilina](+ATK/-DEF)

Lets one shot some variants of Takumi without boosts and when buffed to my FCorrin Hone Attack it one shots all the Takumi variants unless buffed or him being a neutral HP/+RES but in that case it means my Takumi or Roy can kill him, also the extra attack lets deal with MRobin also on a 1 vs1 if it attacks first, alongside 2HKO effie(which thanks to Roy can attack, then get out of range of effie and kill next turn since effie will not reach her.), her attack buff works great with FCorrin because it stacks.

[Takumi](+SPD/-HP)(it is my variant but - Res is better)

Means it doesnt get doubled by everything not buffed or named Linde(which still gets OHKO if Lilina or FCorrin boost its damage so even if she attacks you she dies and lets you set up Revenge) which means it doesnt get ORKOed by anything, so it means again that it can win a lot of 1 vs 1 matches), its speed debuff also helps immensely to neuter buffed chars and void getting him or Roy doubled by things like Lucina which is important when going against Red Lords teams

[FCorrin](+SPD/-ATK)(again -Res would surely be better but since it needs to survive some hits is better than -DEF or HP)

With a boon speed it means it doesnt get doubled by anything unless it is a +SPD Linde) which is good since it lets her beat things like Lucina on a 1 vs 1, and in this case -ATK doesnt seem to miss something that I need since she is mostly used for supporting with debuffs for offensive units and Hone Attack buffing which also stacks with Lilina buff, helps Roy and Takumi double a lot of characters or avoid getting doubled by things with +SPD or speed buffed, she also works great with Lilina because of her RES debuff and both of them buffing each other(which means like extra 9 points of magic damage).

I have currently a 32 win streak with the team, all of them have been very working pretty well since I have ways to kill every character currently, fully Blue teams are somewhat difficult since need to deal with them one at a time but is doable.

I run 

Ryoma (+Spd, -Atk): in the absence of having a Hector, Ryoma is probably the closest to a tank I have, considering swordbreaker/braves aside nobody's doubling him ever and 41/27/21 defenses are okay enough. Thus, while a defenseive bane (-res, in particular) would've been more favorable on offensive variants, in light of Ryoma's absurdly high attack a -atk is fine here, since a part of his role is to draw out opponents--melees, in particular-- that may be troublesome for the rest of the team to take face on, and he'll always dent them (if he doesn't straight up kill) provided it's not something like a blue armor, in which case they're easy to kite around anyway. Notably he also gives a +4 speed aura, so he even has supportive value as the team "tank".

Takumi (+Spd, -Res): Self explanatory. Lucked out with his bane/boon here. Pew pews shit. Goes even faster with Ryoma's speed aura. Will not get doubled and will probably double shit. Oneshots most squishy mages (esp after the Olivia aura) that he really doesn't want to EP anyway.

Robin (+Atk, -Spd): He actually took me a while to get up to speed (hurr) but he nukes shit well and Ryoma fixes his problems somewhat. I actually don't like to make him fight Takumi if I don't have to (Ryoma usually handles the Takumis) since he's a slowass, but he's really good against all those reds, and helps Ryo with his blue armor problem.

Olivia: Not quite 40--kinda hard to get her 40 since she's so much better at dancing than killing shit, but that's what she's here for. She helps the squad get an extra turn to either position or to just kill harder--esp with Robin since those red are often fast and needs 2 hits to kill and Robin doubles never. Moving my squad out of the way works well enough to keep them alive, as well. She also gives a +3Atk aura. 

So far it's worked fairly well for me--My last high score in the arena is 4.2kish, and I'm slowly levelling Olivia on the side so I can get higher average levels in my arena runs. I also have a second Takumi (lv 37) if that proves to be more useful than Olivia, but idk yet. They have fairly good triangle coverage--blue-heavy teams are probably the worst but even then I've still beat them with enough kiting and it's not like they can oneshot Ryo. The aura buffs are very nice to have, as well.

Before Robin joined I ran Wrys and it was just Ryo and Takumi doing all the killing shit but I wanted more points so I put Robin on and actually works better than having Wrys there since Robin can just deal with the other red sword lords at range instead of taking a hit as long as they're not another Ryoma. Ryoma can just go fight himself.

Edited by Thor Odinson

8 hours ago, Thor Odinson said:

I run 

Ryoma (+Spd, -Atk): in the absence of having a Hector, Ryoma is probably the closest to a tank I have, considering swordbreaker/braves aside nobody's doubling him ever and 41/27/21 defenses are okay enough. Thus, while a defenseive bane (-res, in particular) would've been more favorable on offensive variants, in light of Ryoma's absurdly high attack a -atk is fine here, since a part of his role is to draw out opponents--melees, in particular-- that may be troublesome for the rest of the team to take face on, and he'll always dent them (if he doesn't straight up kill) provided it's not something like a blue armor, in which case they're easy to kite around anyway. Notably he also gives a +4 speed aura, so he even has supportive value as the team "tank".

Takumi (+Spd, -Res): Self explanatory. Lucked out with his bane/boon here. Pew pews shit. Goes even faster with Ryoma's speed aura. Will not get doubled and will probably double shit. Oneshots most squishy mages (esp after the Olivia aura) that he really doesn't want to EP anyway.

Robin (+Atk, -Spd): He actually took me a while to get up to speed (hurr) but he nukes shit well and Ryoma fixes his problems somewhat. I actually don't like to make him fight Takumi if I don't have to (Ryoma usually handles the Takumis) since he's a slowass, but he's really good against all those reds, and helps Ryo with his blue armor problem.

Olivia: Not quite 40--kinda hard to get her 40 since she's so much better at dancing than killing shit, but that's what she's here for. She helps the squad get an extra turn to either position or to just kill harder--esp with Robin since those red are often fast and needs 2 hits to kill and Robin doubles never. Moving my squad out of the way works well enough to keep them alive, as well. She also gives a +3Atk aura. 

So far it's worked fairly well for me--My last high score in the arena is 4.2kish, and I'm slowly levelling Olivia on the side so I can get higher average levels in my arena runs. I also have a second Takumi (lv 37) if that proves to be more useful than Olivia, but idk yet. They have fairly good triangle coverage--blue-heavy teams are probably the worst but even then I've still beat them with enough kiting and it's not like they can oneshot Ryo. The aura buffs are very nice to have, as well.

Before Robin joined I ran Wrys and it was just Ryo and Takumi doing all the killing shit but I wanted more points so I put Robin on and actually works better than having Wrys there since Robin can just deal with the other red sword lords at range instead of taking a hit as long as they're not another Ryoma. Ryoma can just go fight himself.

Oh hey we use literally the same team (different boons/banes though) of Ryoma/Takumi/Robin/Olivia :D I recently pulled a Julia though and really want to fit her in, but I'm not sure who I'd take out because they all seem pretty important

Got this from 4chan, and I figured it's a really strong combo

These fliers has a two spaces skill that gives bonus to other fliers, so when put into place...

Sky Squadron F

Minerva +15 Atk, +15 Spd, -5 Def, -5 Res, 30%-off all ranged attacks / 16 might(!!!) rapid cooldown axe
Hinoka +4 Atk, +4 Spd, +4 Def (+11 if HP ≤ 50%), +4 Res / Brave Lance (double hit)
Palla +6 Atk, +6, Spd, +4 Def, +4 Res, Foe Def/Res -30% with special / Triangle Adept 3 Sword
Florina +6 Atk, +6 Spd (+12 if initiating), +4 Def, +4 Res / Heavy Spear (effective against armor) with 7-10 HP Heal Assist

Sky Squadron C

Minerva +15 Atk, +15 Spd, +1 Def, +1 Res, 30%-off all ranged attacks
Hinoka +4 Atk, +4 Spd, +10 Def (+17 if HP ≤ 50%), +10 Res
Palla +6 Atk, +6, Spd, +10 Def, +10 Res, Foe Def/Res -30% with special
Caeda +10 Atk, +10 Spd (+16 if initiating), +4 Def, +4 Res / Armorslayer with Rally Speed (+4 Spd) Assist

Takumi? Haha yeah.

*Takumi can only hit ONCE. He cannot double-hit any of them when counterattacking or attacking; they're too fast.
*Any of these fliers are 100% guaranteed to tank at least one hit from him thanks to their buffs.
*All OHKO on their turn, except Hinoka. Hinoka is still a 1-Turn KO, she just suffers counterattack.
*Takumi MUST be similarly buffed by his own team to remain a threat or far behind a castle wall. Otherwise, he's asking to get stabbed..
*All five will, AT LEAST, double-hit any foe. Minerva, Florina and Caeda QUAD many enemies. They cannot be doubled themselves.
*Florina heals +7 HP to all surrounding allies whenever she attacks or can choose to give 10 HP while hiding. "F" team is safer.
*Ceada raises total team Def/Res +6, has Rally Speed (+4 Spd Assist) and is an armorslayer. "C" team stronger.

And now for my own dream cmbo. Same idea still. Assume X X X X position by default.

Cavalries Quartet

Clarine +0 Atk +10 Def +0 Spd +13 Res. Can inflict -6 Atk. Skill gives +4 Spd to all allies.

Jagen +3 Atk +7 Def +3 Spd +10 Res.Skill reduces damage from ranged attack by 50%

Eliwood +9 Atk +6 Def +6 Spd +6 Res. 16 might, and additional +4 Atk when initiating. Skill reduces damage from ranged attack by 30%.

Gunter +0 Atk +4 Def +0 Spd +7 Res. +6 Def when initiating attack and can turn debuffs into more BUFFS.

*Clarine can now takes some more physical damage when attacked and takes very minimal magic damage. Her assist also helps to heal herself along with healing ally

*The +3 from Jagen cames from Fury. It hurts Jagen everytime he attacks but Clarine can mend that easily.

* Eliwood is a monster. He can deals a whooping 60 Atk when attacking and his already decent speed should allow him to double or avoid being doubled (he'll get 40 Spd with Clarine's skill). His Def becomes decent and he'll take even less magic damage or almost none thanks to his skill.

*Gunter's case similar with Clarine but Res instead of Def and he still gets doubled from time to time, but again, nothing that Clarine can't help with her heal, speed boost, and -6 Atk.

Overall, Sky Squadron is better, but Cavalries is also a good and fun combo.

Edited by pianime94

1 hour ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Oh hey we use literally the same team (different boons/banes though) of Ryoma/Takumi/Robin/Olivia :D I recently pulled a Julia though and really want to fit her in, but I'm not sure who I'd take out because they all seem pretty important

You could always just make a separate team for her

If it were me I'd probably alternate her and Robin a bit, since Ryo and Takumi have all-range counters and they'd likely have the most similar niche. Robin will definitely faire a bit better against Takumis and reds, but it's not like Ryoma can't deal with the other reds himself anyway and Julia still helps with Ryo's Blue Armor problem. Actually I'd like to see how well she faires against Nowi, because my team doesn't particularly like to fight Nowi at the moment.

Edited by Thor Odinson

8 minutes ago, Thor Odinson said:

You could always just make a separate team for her

If it were me I'd probably alternate her and Robin a bit, since Ryo and Takumi have all-range counters and they'd likely have the most similar niche. Robin will definitely faire a bit better against Takumis and reds, but it's not like Ryoma can't deal with the other reds himself anyway and Julia still helps with Ryo's Blue Armor problem. Actually I'd like to see how well she faires against Nowi, because my team doesn't particularly like to fight Nowi at the moment.

Haven't used her in Arena yet myself bc I'm still leveling her, but I've heard she absolutely devours Nowi :O

Just now, MaskedAmpharos said:

Haven't used her in Arena yet myself bc I'm still leveling her, but I've heard she absolutely devours Nowi :O

I think that's definitely very helpful for a team involving Ryoma, then. Nowi's probably one of my biggest threats at the moment. There's also Abel, who neither Ryo nor Takumi want to deal with.

For story/events:

(mostly) Permanent spots
5* Linde: The goddess. Obtained in the first round of pulls (no rerolls), which was extremely fortunate, now looking back. –Atk/+Def, but it’s not as bad as it might seem since she (over)kills almost everything anyways and the durability can actually help her take an extra hit on occasion. 
4* Olivia: dancing + mage obliterates things as they get into range. Fortify Atk is nice too.

Eirika will likely have a permanent spot once she’s leveled up. 

Rotation spots
4* Chrom: Red to fight against greens. Linde honestly beats a lot of them anyway, but Chrom can tank and one-shot mages and such, so he’s quite useful. 
4* Awakening Tiki: Red that can counter 1-2 range and attacks res. Bulky but slow.
4* Wrys/ 4* Clarine: Healing is nice sometimes. Wrys can heal a bit more, while Clarine has 3 move.
5* Robin(M): Mostly backup blue mage, though the durability (and lower offense) is great sometimes, like Narcian’s map. Beats Takumi solidly. Bonfire has fast activation and is a nice booster.
4* Cecilia + 4* Gunter: For fun mostly. Green for some variety, mounts for the mobility, Hone Cavalry for the damage, and they can sometimes tank with Res/Def respectively. 

Also have a number of other characters with some levels because I like them or their weapon/skills seem useful or for a specific map/event, but tbh they don’t really matter too too much with Linde present.

However, I do expect good things out of Nino once she’s trained more (just promoted to 4*) as a relatively fast Green mage, Eirika buff synergy, and Draw Back which is really nice.

For arena offense:

Linde, Olivia, Chrom, Robin: Linde+Olivia easily kills most things, especially the Lords/Manaketes/Armors. Chrom fights green. Robin is pretty balanced, adv against Takumi/Kagero, and gives the special character bonus.

Haven’t paid for orbs, and still like 20 stamina potions, 30 crests (grinding to lvl 40 not worth for me), so 4.3k seems to be around the max points for these characters. Should level Olivia more but eh. Using a mid-level Olivia over a lvl 1 one (for easier opponents) because never really lose adv arena matches nowadays (not even really deaths unless I make mistakes from autopilot). Tho haven’t run into full green yet. But Linde/Robin can somewhat beat wyverns anyway, and Chrom facetanks Hector between Defiant Def and high Atk+triangle+Sol. And mages can do solid damage to finish him.

Will probably soon run Linde, Eirika, Chrom, Robin as they have the highest stats (of my characters) for arena. Nino perhaps later on.

For arena defense: 

Linde, Olivia, Robin, Olivia: Currently running with 2 high level mages, 2 low level dancers to troll some people. Got most of my earlier defense wins with Linde, (low level) Olivia, Cecilia, Gunter. I think Linde really surprises people with the damage she outputs and dancing giving her actions/move, plus Hone Cavalry+Cecilia has decent Atk/Spd and huge range. Not really sure what’s the best approach here tho.

Edited by XeKr

For my team in arena i currently have 4,522 points because my tiki was killed once during my 7 win streak here is the team I use:

Anna: I use her just to show off tbh but she has incredible speed and can tank most anything as long as it isnt a red unit like lyn or lucina.her vantage skill is really nice and when she drops below 40% hp she can make a tactical retreat. (kills mages and other blues that tend to deal a lot of damage to tiki.

Effie +DEF/-HP: I use Effie to counter all dragon slayers (other than Julia) as well as being able to soak up almost any and all physical damage she really can help with ensuring all units live. On top of that her wary fighter guarantees she is never one shot by enemy units as well. I always keep Anna near Effie as effie has her shove skill which keeps Anna alive when in a choke point.

Tiki +DEF/-SPD: This unit is used to take out any hectors idiots still like to use in arena as well as other enemy tikis she is my secondary tank that makes up for what effie can't tank. Tiki can also tank takumi hits.

Takumi +RES/-HP: Does he really need explaining???

How do you know Boon/Bane?

My team:

Nowi (+RES/-ATK): the main tank. I'm using her to lure in characters that are not Marth, Lucina or Julia one by one and weaken them. Since she lowers the lured unit's resistance she can then move in to kill, or let another appropriate teammate do that job for her. Can also buff Lucina if I want to lure in something that can take Nowi down.

Lucina (+DEF/-HP): main offense and anti dragon. She doesn't seem to be fast but she can take a hit and strike hard.

Azama: healer that can poke well with Pain and otherwise heal and give a good defense buff with his special. His defense is also high so he won't go down to anything that won't double him.

Cecilia: high mobility, high damage and can even make Nowi a dual tank with her support.

I believe this is well rounded, though Cecilia isn't as good as she can be yet since she is silver stars and level 35.

Edited by NickV

Robin 

Spoiler

(+Atk/-Spd). He's always going to be tanking Takumi's two attacks--so it's just time to explode on him. With Hone Attack 3 and Bonfire active, I've never seen a full-health Takumi survive. He hasn't been messed with in his defensive stats so he'll deflect other attacks fine except magical. This Robin wants to be proactive. If you need to take out a Takumi in one-go, I have him attack someone else, regardless if another unit of mine could one-shot them, just to build up Bonfire. Bonfire is a really good skill that guarantee adds +14 Damage on top of his massive Attack. You need to be able to make up for his lack of Speed with his Attack and defensive stats. He can play a somewhat okay support role with Spur Defense 3. I don't pay attention to Defiant Speed 3 as he's either above that 1/2 HP criteria or everyone else is dead. While Speed bane isn't great, it's workable. I wouldn't know what to substitute for it since I'm used to his slowness.

Camilla 

Spoiler

(+Spd/-HP). Another one of those "has to kill first" units (this is my team basically). Her high Speed + Darting Blow 3 means she's going to be doubling a lot. She's decent in Defense and Resistance but it's the HP that ruins her. Her Speed and Darting Blow 3 makes it easier for her to get x4 attacks on initiation. Draconic Aura is a nice combat skill as it's not dependent on damage output but on her Attack. I'm not so reliant on Draconic Aura activations as much as I am Bonfire, but know that if she attacks an enemy that she doubles and they can't attack back, she will get Draconic Aura on her fourth attack. Sucks at times as I might need it for another enemy. Otherwise, it helps out damaging Armors. Sometimes I like Savage Blow 3 as it does the chip that I need to kill someone in one-shot. If she's maxed out, don't be afraid to send her on a suicide mission just to get that Savage Blow spread shot. I tend to have her hug around Olivia but she can do without if you'll kill on the Draconic Aura strike. Not good at guessing best Boon/Banes but she might be able to do with a Res Bane. Perhaps Speed bane since she has Brave Axe+/Darting Blow 3 access. I don't always rely on her her tanking because of the HP Bane.

Abel 

Spoiler

(+HP/-Res). Abel is capable of tanking an indirect magic attack thanks to Aegis. This guy is a Sword's nightmare. I don't mind the +HP since that means Swordbreaker 3 will be active at higher thresholds. If he initiates against a Sword, he's guaranteed x4 attacks and they can't double. Basically kills a Sword's purpose. While HP+5 is a boring passive, it synergizes with Swordbreaker 3. Not the best tank or the fastest but damn will he make Swords suffer. Aegis works well since his gauge is full from encountering a Sword on initiation and they won't make him waste it. 50% damage from an indirect attack means he's likely to stay above that 50% HP criteria for Swordbreaker 3. Admittedly, he's the weakest member because Robin fits in the role of Red and Colorless killer and Abel doubles up on the Sword/Red killing. However, it's still good since the meta right now is Swords/Reds and Takumi's. It's a close call with getting any buffs if he's 4*. He doesn't do that much damage even with Hone Attack 3 and he's a decent enough tank as is. If you can somehow give him both, he'll be a lot better off. HP or Attack Boon is preferred. Res Bane has been doing okay due to Aegis access.

Olivia 

Spoiler

(+Res/-Atk). She's the core of my team of killers. -Atk makes it hard to raise her without a buff but she is somewhat of a mage-killer. If you started out with a 4* Olivia like I did, she already comes with Dance. Prioritize Hone Attack. It's about units hugging her for those buffs. She will likely not be seeing combat going up in the stratums so make sure she's safe. At 4*, she may not be as fast as you would like so don't rely on her being able to tank a hit, especially with her lowish HP. All she really needs to do is buff and Dance. I'm raising a 5* Marth so I hope to feed her some kills. If she's hard support, Boon/Bane doesn't matter much.

Weakness is that if I'm too cramped or my team gets separated, I can get messed up hard. It's not the greatest at dealing with Hector's while he's at >80% HP. I haven't broken an Advanced streak in a while as my team is based around killing the meta units. Still kind of sucks my Arena score can't go that much higher from not using more bonus characters and Olivia and Abel being 4*.

Question for anyone that knows: do the Spur skills become penalties by Fear? They aren't bonuses on the actual stats like Hone skills are.