Gravity Rush

Florete

I doubt there are many people here who have played these games but holy hell do I need to talk about the ending of Gravity Rush 2.

NON-SPOILER TALK:

So the Gravity Rush series, which consists of two games, the first released on PS Vita in 2012 and later remastered on PS4 in 2016, and the 2nd released about a month ago, follows Kat, a girl who can shift gravity to "fly" around and do other cool stuff. Gravity Rush was probably the first game I ever played where I felt like just moving around was really fun. The controls are (mostly) very tight and fluid and the game's world is well-designed around the shifting abilities. The plot of the first game is good, if a little basic; Kat wakes up in a mysterious place with no memories of who she is or where she came from, but has a cat (yes, the animal) with her named Dusty who allows her to control her gravity. Over the course of the first game she gradually helps to rebuild the town of Hekseville and learn some other things, but again, no spoilers here. The first game arguably leaves more questions than answers. It also has the longest descent sequence I've ever played in a video game. That was really awesome.

The second game picks up soon after the first, though after a strange gravity storm took Kat away from Hekseville and to a place where she was eventually found by the people of the Banga settlement. This game is much longer than the first, spanning four story arcs, the last of which wraps up almost all of the loose ends from the first. While the main story is very good, unfortunately, a lot of the side content is pretty worthless and frustrating.

SPOILER TALK

Spoiler

So in the final act of the second game, we finally get to climb up the world tree, something I'd been wanting to do since the first game. When we get there we find out Kat sure is a queen...just not the gravity queen people had been calling her, but an actual queen of real royalty. A ton of revelations are dropped seemingly all at once, but a couple questions still remain. Who actually is Raven? It was suggested that she and Kat are one person somehow split into two, but it never expands. Who was the "Dark Kat" fought in Ch 19? Some have suggested this is singular person that Kat and Raven were meant to be. Others think it might be the future Kat who comes back in the last moments of the game. Speaking of...

What actually happened to Kat? It was suggested that going down to stop the rising gravity storm would either kill her or otherwise prevent her from ever returning. We know she makes it back, but we never actually get to see her (the biggest troll that had me shouting at my screen). Raven's face sure was happy, though.

One thing for sure, though, is that Kat's story is over. However, I do still think we could get a Gravity Rush 3 focusing on Raven, as there is still more that can be done with her character.

More people really need to play these games. I haven't been so invested in a game's world and characters since Trails in the Sky...which admittedly wasn't that long ago, but I don't get this invested very often.

Edited by Florete
Had to make my actual post because I somehow made the topic early.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The free DLC "Raven's Choice" is available and I've gone through it and I'm ever more confused.

Spoiler

So Raven is Sachya, as I remember predicting in the first game. But she...wasn't "supposed" to be born into that world as Sachya? What does that even mean? And then she stops the bus with the kids from ever falling...how? The plot has always had some weird time stuff, but it was always about the speed of the flow of time, never time travel, so this is awkward. She sacrifices her past (and memory) as Sachya to save the kids, but then Sachya still exists in the present time, as does she. So...what? WHAT?

These games will need replays for sure. The plot is just too insane to fully grasp the first time through. Not saying it's bad, I actually really like it, but I can't help but feel there's something screwy here.

Kat x Raven is adorable, though. Where's my fanart? GR2 certainly pushed their relationship.

• 2 weeks later...