Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've run into some odd teams since the patch. Before I'd almost always see an Effie or Hector (and, a few times, both), or once in a while a merged unit hovering around +5. Now I'm seeing things like a team of all reds or a group with both Azura and Ninian. I've made it through fine so far, though that last one was a scare.

Whatever this patch did, I suspect it balanced out the effects of BST so that you're likely to see more variety in characters. I haven't played many matches, though; hopefully people will crack the specifics soon, since I'm curious.

In case it hasn't been mentioned yet:

After the update, you can now tap on the people who lost to your Defense team and see the stats and skills of their rep :D

Just a fun little extra thing IS added.

Just now, MaskedAmpharos said:

After the update, you can now tap on the people who lost to your Defense team and see the stats and skills of their rep :D

Nice!

... now if only my defense team could score a win... >_>

Wrangled a score of 4,690, deathless but with the first match done on the old system. Current rank is 3,870 but I'll probably be out of the top 10k by the end of the week. Still, I like this new update, if only because I like the bigger numbers! I'm hitting 670 now where I could only push to 640 before with all my highest BST units. (And the matches felt kind of easy. Might have just been luck, but still.)

Current team is Reinhardt, Klein, Bunny Camilla and Eldigan. Might swap out Klein later to see if I can push up my score a little, or even Eldigan since the BST-boosting skills aren't supposed to have such a huge impact anymore and I'm curious to test it. Meanwhile, have a couple of defence wins already so I'm all set.

1 minute ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

That's really cool, I didn't know that! Apparently the two victories I have are against mostly vanilla units. Kind of curious to see if that'll change if I swap out my 90% vanilla defence team for some more heavily SI'd units.

I continue the trend of no defense wins. Idefk what I'm supposed to do at this point. Tried all blue, Nope. Reinhardt+Dancer? Nope. Dualkumi? Also nope.

On the other hand I got my newly 5*'d Olivia to 40 so she can get back on the team now. 

16 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Score is 4,894.
Rank is 70!!! o.O

I"m expecting my rank to drop to 500-800 by the end of the week, but holy crap. TWO DIGITS.

16 hours later:

Score is still 4,894.
Rank is now 208.

No new defense wins yet since the update.

8 minutes ago, Thor Odinson said:

I continue the trend of no defense wins. Idefk what I'm supposed to do at this point. Tried all blue, Nope. Reinhardt+Dancer? Nope. Dualkumi? Also nope.

On the other hand I got my newly 5*'d Olivia to 40 so she can get back on the team now. 

I feel the same way.  No idea what I'm doing wrong.  Wondering if Lucina (the token red unit on the currently attempted defense team) might be the issue.  Thinking she might just be too fragile.  If so, not sure who'd be better to put in her place to fend off greens.  Seliph, Selena, or Alfonse, I guess?  That or wait for someone like Xander and hope he works?  And/or oust my dancer for Hector (though would then need to decide between Vantage and Wings, and honestly outside of a few maps his low movement speed seems like it'd make it 4v3).

For reference, my team is Blarblade bLucina, (pseudo Eirika) Ephraim, Lucina, and Azura.  The former two are kitted out in SI, the latter two aren't yet.

1 minute ago, GinRei said:

I feel the same way.  No idea what I'm doing wrong.  Wondering if Lucina (the token red unit on the currently attempted defense team) might be the issue.  Thinking she might just be too fragile.  If so, not sure who'd be better to put in her place to fend off greens.  Seliph, Selena, or Alfonse, I guess?  That or wait for someone like Xander and hope he works?  And/or oust my dancer for Hector (though would then need to decide between Vantage and Wings, and honestly outside of a few maps his low movement speed seems like it'd make it 4v3).

For reference, my team is Blarblade bLucina, (pseudo Eirika) Ephraim, Lucina, and Azura.  The former two are kitted out in SI, the latter two aren't yet.

A Lunatic 9-5 Xander build might be pretty nasty once he comes out. I'm looking forward to that.

Right now I put up Minerva, Ryoma, Reinhardt, and Olivia for my team. I would really like it if I can get wings on Minerva, but I don't have anyone I'm willing to sacrifice (I have only 1 Palla and she's a lv 40, and I'm not willing to part with my lv 40 units). 

At least whenever Ayra comes out is when I'm gonna roll hella red. That should cover for all the red fodder I ever want.

4/12/2017 - offense 4,668; rank 5,655 [2:30PM PST] [deathless] [3 matches old system]

Team:
(all Level 40 and 5*)
+Atk/-Spd Ninian (163)
+Res/-HP Ryoma (173; +Vantage 3)
neutral Sharena (174)
+Atk/-Res Spring Chrom (183; +Fury 3)
BST: 696 (681 w/o stat skills)

Now I'm averaging about 674 score an Advanced match. Three matches were on the old system so I'll definitely have my score increased if I go deathless on the new system. Even so, I'm close to the 5K bracket. Nice to see I'll probably make it there if I do that second deathless run. If not, eh, 500 Feather difference. I'm not that desperate with nearly 50K Feathers sitting there.

Arena got a bit easier for me. I had very little Skill Inheritance compared to other teams and would sometimes face teams with three members of Vantage 3. Needless to say, impossible without ranged. Overall, I think I like the change. Will continue playing to see any faults/new issues I'll need to adjust to.

Score of 4536 (2 deaths; 6 old matches, 1 new)

• Ground Zero (2AM PST Apr 12) - #5339
  • 13 Hours Later - #11 105

As predicted, took a huge drop. If my matches continue to be worth 680 on average, I should jump up a bit over two-hundred points. I may spend a crest after tonight's rollover just to close things out. No defenses, but I expect that to become a trend the starting position swap and matchmaking changes. However, I did get a +Spd/-Def Nino (only took five tries to get something not -Atk or -Spd... weird how it went from that to the most optimal boon/bane, though), so once I'm done leveling and promoting her, I'll probably stick her on defense with Sharena (since I lack an Eirika). Good thing I was sitting on 50k feathers, because between Nino and Cherche, I'm about to go feather broke (kinda unsure what I wanna do with Cherche, since I was raising her as a companion +10 killer to Hector, but the matchmaking may make it so that the stuff I intended for her to kill won't even show up; guess I could just run her later anyway, since there's no kill like overkill).

Score: 4.754

Won't get top 1000 with this, second time since the launch I won't get it. Kinda dissapointing, but I saw it coming. Have to say though, having used four Fury 3 users before this, things have gotten so much more easier, to the point where it's actually a lot less fun and challenging...

Score: 4,746 Deathless run.
0 defenses

Now it's really challenging to do deathless runs. Idk if it's just me but I've been running trough so many Reinhardt teams. Sometimes even with dupes.
Also, I've got careless and did get slaughtered by a PASS + darting blow Tharja who were glued to an Ephraim (fucking 41 speed before Darting blow). Now I'll look carefully the entire opposing team before doing anything. Lesson learned.

1 hour ago, GinRei said:

I imagine it's just because we don't get free wins from bridge etc. anymore, since re-position fixes a lot of the issue with those maps. Defense teams will probably have to be all-in (all of 1 color) to get wins, since we can't just get freebies from starting placement ruining a run.

Wow, I already have 5 Defense Wins.  Looking at the units who went against me, most have Skill Inheritance, too, so I wonder why so many lost against me so soon, when I had some weeks I struggled to get a single D Win.  Oh well.

I got a 7 Streak with I think 1-2 Deaths yesterday, since I wanted to get something in before the change, in case it turned out to be crazy.

Since we don't get the free Crest per day, I'm only doing 3 Arenas per day, rather than 6, so I don't have a new Score yet, but I noticed each team was giving like 50 more points than before.

27 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

I imagine it's just because we don't get free wins from bridge etc. anymore, since re-position fixes a lot of the issue with those maps. Defense teams will probably have to be all-in (all of 1 color) to get wins, since we can't just get freebies from starting placement ruining a run.

Might be worth a shot.  Got a nice Nowi ready and willing to replace Lucina if that ends up being the "thing" to do.

So I'm not sure how much this person got right and how much they got wrong (since the system is new and needs further testing), but I found an interesting reddit post on the new matchmaking system:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FireEmblemHeroes/comments/64z5bm/theory_and_debate_how_120_arena_scores_your_team/

The BST theory seems interesting, that might be the reason why my Olivia, Roy, Julia, Michalis squad have same ish rating to Olivia, Eliwood, Julia, Gunter squad despite Gunter having lower bst, not learning all skills, and not even 40

Score of 4536 (2 deaths; 6 old matches, 1 new)

• Ground Zero (2AM PST Apr 12) - #5339
  • 13 Hours Later - #11 105
  • 20 hours Later - #12 582

Score of 4768 (all new matches)

• Ground Zero (1AM PST Apr 13) - #979

Yay, I get to be in the top 1k again for an hour! Wonder if this'll stay in the top 5k. Anyway, used a crest to complete a streak partly so I could have one finished and partly because I'm still curious about what's gonna show up in the Arena. Starting to run into mid-range merges again, though they're somewhat sparse and skill sets are otherwise pretty unoptimal. Had a few moments of iffyness where an Olwen +4 and Olivia 4* +10 seemed like they might pose some level of danger. There was a Nino accompanying them, which caused a bit of pressure, but Hector was able to one-shot both of them, so there wasn't a whole lot of an issue. Ran into a full armour team, as well, with Effie leading three Hectors. Other than armour auras, Effie was the only one really scarily built. The Hectors might have been frightening if they had much effort put into them, though I suspect that this was largely due to facing them on the double bridges, which put something of a time limit on things (it was still twice as long as I needed, though). Also had one where I thought a vanilla team might cause positioning problems on the lava map because the Azura kept moving first instead of dancing with an Eldigan around her and a Jaffar I wanted to bait with Hector. Turned out to not be a problem since Sharena could just sit on the choke and not give a crap. One one that kinda almost got a death on me was a team with a couple +4s (Camilla + M!Robin) and a +2 (Elise). On the two bridges, they had a lot of attack overlap and in trying to bait M!Robin, I ended up with Hector getting attacked by Elise first. He one-shot her back, but she's got a surprisingly high amount of Atk, which disabled Quick Riposte and then Saizo ran in first, anyway. The heavily modified Camilla then WoMed in, since Saizo didn't get double countered. Still didn't kill Hector, but was kinda freaky and I had to finagle things a bit to clean that up deathless.

Managed a 4768 deathless streak with spring Lucina +1, Hector, Olivia and Takumi. The arena update seems to have made it so I no longer get matched against the incredibly annoying dancer +merged Nino/Julia+merged tharja/sword lord teams that always seem to line up so that you must take a hit from both the green mage and the red unit which basically no one outside of sanaki with t-adept and red tomebreaker can deal with. I am however a very defensive player so I would like to know how you deal with this team archetype as I pretty much have to hope they screw up their positioning (although repostion has made it a bit easier to face these kind of teams).

@kuroi tsubasa. What a coincidence that we posted the exact same score almost simultaneously, now i know what rank i will get haha.

Edited by Erchamion

The arena does seem a lot easier than it was before, both with the repositioning and the lack of merged enemies, but that also means more difficulty in getting defense wins and in climbing the ranks.

Does anyone have any defense team recommendations based on what I have?

Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 11.02.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 11.02.47 AM.png

Edited by Othin

Score: 4.678 (1 death)

Using a double-Blade team consisting of +1 Blárblade Spring Lucina (+Spd/-Def), triple buff Eirika (+Spd/-Def), +1 Triangle Adept Ninian (+Spd/-Atk) and Fury/Desperation Nino (+Spd/-Def). I unfortunately lost SLucina to a Takumi during the 6th match as I fucked up my positioning on the lava map, so one death in total. This is my first try-hard arena run in a while and I must also admit that going for a deathless streak seems a bit trickier now. Hoping I can achieve one by the end of the week although I'm already tired of using SLucina tbh. Can't wait for new bonus heroes.

Well, some people will bail out as soon as one unit goes down, so probably?

1 hour ago, Othin said:

The arena does seem a lot easier than it was before, both with the repositioning and the lack of merged enemies, but that also means more difficulty in getting defense wins and in climbing the ranks.

Does anyone have any defense team recommendations based on what I have?

Reveal hidden contents

Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 11.02.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 11.02.47 AM.png

I usually get some with all-in blue, though last week and this week it didn't really turn out. Might be because of the large amount of green bonus units. Currently trying a BBGG split, but it hasn't been up long enough to reasonably expect results. I'll get back to you guys later on that. Anyway, if you want to try all blue, maybe run Sharena, F!Corrin, Catria and M!Robin. F!Corrin and Catria have a strong mix of debuffs that can trip people up and Sharena and Robin have the bulk to survive long enough to possibly take advantage of said debuffs.

Could also try all-in green: Spring Camilla, Michalis, Merric and Fae; alternatively, replace one with F!Robin to see if you can catch a blue tome out