Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

17 minutes ago, Elieson said:

Draconic Aura looks most appealing because of its 3 turn counter, allowing it to activate pretty quickly with Quick Riposte or X-Breaker support, but it'd involve promoting a F!Corrin, and I don't wanna burn the feathers for that :X

That's why I said Luna cause you probably don't want to waste feathers (otherwise you probably would have promoted that 3 star level 20 Lon'puke already for dat vantage 3). But if you say Dragon is better, go ahead. Also, did you see what he misses kills on that Luna can't take care of while Aura can't?

So now it's up to you smElieson. What to do...... what to do.........?

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

That's why I said Luna cause you probably don't want to waste feathers (otherwise you probably would have promoted that 3 star level 20 Lon'puke already for dat vantage 3). But if you say Dragon is better, go ahead. Also, did you see what he misses kills on that Luna can't take care of while Aura can't?

So now it's up to you smElieson. What to do...... what to do.........?

Luna vs Draconic Aura scores a fraction of the OHKOs against Blues (i run all my calcs assuming opponents have +4 Def through ??? means).

• On Player Phase with just DeathBlow:
    • Moonbow: OHKOs Reinhardt
    • Luna: 3 KOs (vs Linde and Olwen too)
    • Dragon Gaze/Aura: A few others get added to the mix (Peri, Clair, Est, Ursula, Ninian)
    • Dragon Fang: Basically any Mage, most Fliers, Sharena 
  • W/ DB & Folkvangr's bonus
    • Moonbow: Basically the
    • Luna: same as
    • Dragon Gaze/Aura: up above
    • Dragon Fang: Everyone sans Effie/Subaki/Donny/Wendy/Lukas (Ephraim/Nowi/Sully survive too if they have a Def boost)

Reds and Colorless are largely handled by Folk & DB's bonus, and even with just DB, get nix'd (again, with +4 Def, he kills most Reds, missing out narrowly on Marth/Lucina/Eldigan w/o full)

Basically, Dragon Fang lets homeboy go nuts on the offensive, but the hard part is letting him take a hit and get to that 4 turns, but Dragon Gaze really isn't that stellar. Luna is arguably worse in all scenarios though. It helps though since I have easy asccess to it

I think Vengeance is gonna be better >.<

Why would you want to buff more Alfonse's offenses with an atk/dmg proc when they're already good enough on its own? Sol is ok as is because it helps him be healthy enough to be under swordbreaker range and still one round sword enemies (except eldigan or something). Plus folkvangr already has defiant atk 2.

22 minutes ago, Elieson said:

Luna vs Draconic Aura scores a fraction of the OHKOs against Blues (i run all my calcs assuming opponents have +4 Def through ??? means).

• On Player Phase with just DeathBlow:
    • Moonbow: OHKOs Reinhardt
    • Luna: 3 KOs (vs Linde and Olwen too)
    • Dragon Gaze/Aura: A few others get added to the mix (Peri, Clair, Est, Ursula, Ninian)
    • Dragon Fang: Basically any Mage, most Fliers, Sharena 
  • W/ DB & Folkvangr's bonus
    • Moonbow: Basically the
    • Luna: same as
    • Dragon Gaze/Aura: up above
    • Dragon Fang: Everyone sans Effie/Subaki/Donny/Wendy/Lukas (Ephraim/Nowi/Sully survive too if they have a Def boost)

Reds and Colorless are largely handled by Folk & DB's bonus, and even with just DB, get nix'd (again, with +4 Def, he kills most Reds, missing out narrowly on Marth/Lucina/Eldigan w/o full)

Basically, Dragon Fang lets homeboy go nuts on the offensive, but the hard part is letting him take a hit and get to that 4 turns, but Dragon Gaze really isn't that stellar. Luna is arguably worse in all scenarios though. It helps though since I have easy asccess to it

I think Vengeance is gonna be better >.<

Okay, do you need homeboy to go nuts?

Or do you need homeboy to actually do good on your team?

QR + Aura = reliable

QR + Fang = Risky but strong

And remember, you're tricking him out just for the use of a bonus unit, you should pay attention to what you're willing to sacrifice.

Basically what I'm saying is:  ̶s̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶ ̶F̶e̶a̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶i̶n̶c̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶m̶o̶t̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶a̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶a̶k̶e̶t̶e̶ ̶a̶l̶r̶e̶a̶d̶y̶ ̶

1 minute ago, Quintessence said:

Why would you want to buff more Alfonse's offenses with an atk/dmg proc when they're already good enough on its own? Sol is ok as is because it helps him be healthy enough to be under swordbreaker range and still one round sword enemies (except eldigan or something). Plus folkvangr already has defiant atk 2.

Because Sol clashes with his same defiant attack that you mention. I have friends who have lost games because of that lol

8 minutes ago, Quintessence said:

Becauuuuuuuuse if i can get Alfy to actually kill somebody without them needing to hit alf back for 20+ dmg, it'd be super cool, but it'd be cooler if he had significant contributions with luna/dragon stuff, rather than restoring like, 12 HP with Sol

Edited by Elieson

31 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Because Sol clashes with his same defiant attack that you mention. I have friends who have lost games because of that lol

It would clash with swordbreaker or quick riposte actually not with sol, or what kind of clash between these two are you referring to?

36 minutes ago, Elieson said:

Becauuuuuuuuse if i can get Alfy to actually kill somebody without them needing to hit alf back for 20+ dmg, it'd be super cool, but it'd be cooler if he had significant contributions with luna/dragon stuff, rather than restoring like, 12 HP with Sol

He'll get dmg when charging the special anyways and he's not like struggling at killing stuff without breaker/riposte. I mean, he doesn't need it.

15 minutes ago, Quintessence said:

It would clash with swordbreaker or quick riposte actually not with sol, or what kind of clash between these two are you referring to?

I think the clash is that you can potentially heal out of Folk's DA range, because you're not exactly the most durable unit to be saying so long to 4 attack

16 minutes ago, Quintessence said:

He'll get dmg when charging the special anyways and he's not like struggling at killing stuff without breaker/riposte. I mean, he doesn't need it.

Triggering Sol heals and therefore might cancel Defiant Attack the next turn. I think the intent behind that design is actually "Alfonse gets hurt, triggering Defiant Attack, which helps him heal for more when Sol triggers" but obviously many would not find it worthwhile.

Just now, salinea said:

Triggering Sol heals and therefore might cancel Defiant Attack the next turn. I think the intent behind that design is actually "Alfonse gets hurt, triggering Defiant Attack, which helps him heal for more when Sol triggers" but obviously many would not find it worthwhile.

That's how I see it actually. A last resource skill that helps you heal slightly more.

29 minutes ago, Quintessence said:

That's how I see it actually. A last resource skill that helps you heal slightly more.

Yup, and when you need that 5 extra attack to win, it completely dissapears!

But with an offensive skill you can theoretically kill earlier which will in turn save you some damage in the first place, and you won't have to worry about healing an extra 8 health or something else stupid

But hey, to each their own

I like how my current arena rank is sitting at exactly 19,000 (offense score of 4,720). With this current group of bonus characters, I was stuck having to haul around 4 star Michalis  though I also tried using 4 star Alfonse with a Brave Sword for a little bit because I clearly have the best ideas. On top of the usual gaffes I make, having Michalis take up a spot on my team really hurt my ability to get through 7 matches deathless. Before we got this group of bonus characters, I could pretty consistently rank at least within the top 10,000. Oh well, at least I have Alm ready to go for next season.

4,676 Offense Points get me to rank 25,866.

Looks like that 1,500 feather reward is mine! BOOYAH!!!!!!!!!!

7 minutes left and still one defense lol. I really want to know exactly how we're supposed to know what to do cause a lot of people are out here struggling with no defenses at all.

Edited by Arcanite

1 hour ago, Arcanite said:

Yup, and when you need that 5 extra attack to win, it completely dissapears!

But with an offensive skill you can theoretically kill earlier which will in turn save you some damage in the first place, and you won't have to worry about healing an extra 8 health or something else stupid

But hey, to each their own

Again, my question is: does he need it? There are other powerhouses that would squeeze much more an offensive special than alfonse. But yeah, I think if one has the free resources it doesn't hurt teaching him new skills for the sake of alternatives!

Edited by Quintessence

Just now, Quintessence said:

Again, my question is: does he need it? 

I'd say so.

The common denominator that you'll hear about Alfonse is how........awkward he is to use. Low speed, high defense, high attack, and low resistance. Low resistance = Mages Win. High Attack + High defense = good close up. Low speed = Well now we're in trouble. So how does one take a disadvantage and make it even better as a utilization to his advantages? Low speed = doubled a lot. High defense = not too much damage taken. High Attack = Does tons of damage. Solution = Sustain? Sustain would be okay, but it conflicts with defiant attack which makes his best stat even higher. Why lose a buff, just to gain some more health?

Low speed = doubled a lot. High defense = not too much damage taken. Solution = Moar damage? Why moar damage if he already does enough? Re-read the underlined words. Getting doubled a lot means faster trigger. Faster trigger + Moar damage = killing faster. Killing faster = sustenance. If you can eliminate a threat before they can do enough damage, then why do you need to heal?

Lets say I double Alfonse and he has a special trigger at the ready. I hit him. He's nearly dead. He hits me. Recovers 12 HP. I hit him and he dies.

Now, lets say I double Alfonse and he has a special trigger at the ready. I hit him. He's nearly dead. He hits me. I die. 

Now you have an Alfonse with +5 attack.

And you have an Azura

Next turn = giggity

Granted, there are situations where Sol could be more useful, so like I said, to each his own.

Spoiler

#SolIsForSquares

7 hours ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

@Clogon Why are we assuming Draconic Aura is up? The point of Lancebreaker is to net him blue kills he wouldn't have gotten without even needing his special up so that, instead of wasting it on a blue unit, he has Draconic Aura up and ready to OHKO a green threat, like Hector. 

In any case, I did suggest both that and Wings of Mercy if Ice Dragon felt Lancebreaker is unnecessary, as you seem to, so ultimately the decision is his. 

Also @MrSmokestack thanks for the backup, buddy <3

Because all he needs to do is attack once and it will be up. Also, you don't need Draconic Aura to OHKO Hector (Spur ATK 3 is the only buff he has here):

Yes, Lance Breaker will allow him to kill more things without set up and support. And yes it has its uses. You are also right in that it is ultimately the owner's choice on what skill to give.

I just don't understand the high value and necessity of Lance Breaker that many players are giving it. You will always have support and other team members to do what an isolated Reinhardt solo can't. Also, Ice Dragon will be running Hone Cavalry from the looks of it.

Tome Breaker seems much more usefull to me as it allows him to tank and kill mage threats on enemy phase so that he is not stricktly a Player Phase unit. Right now, Reinhardt can't do anything during the enemy phase and sadly +ATK does not have the bulk to survive 2 hits from Brave Bow users to make use of Bow Breaker.

7 hours ago, Othin said:

Finally got a defense win. Still no deathless runs, but I might start spending some crests to try to get one in the next few hours.

How good is -HP, +Def Reinhardt? It sounds like Atk is his most significant stat by far, so not being +Atk hurts but at least he's not -Atk.

It's not bad. You just need to run a bit more support (Hone Cavalry and Spur ATK/Cavalry). I used a -Res/+Def one before. I gave him Fury to allow him to tank bow users better and boost old Arena Score. Fury made up for the +ATK and Hone Cavalry for Death Blow. It is only this week that I got a -HP, +ATK Reinhardt

Off topic:

How do I tag people?

Score of 4806 (all new matches)

• 7AM PST Apr 17 (Ground Zero +4 Hours) - #1521
  • 8 Hours Later - #1597
  • Final Rank - #1604

Pretty good income. I'm in a weird position this week. I'm already completely prepared for the season, since I don't need to kit out Navarre, and I need another season's worth of feathers to promote anyone I've been considering (which is okay—I'll likely remain indecisive for another few weeks afterward :P:). Guess I'm just left waiting. Kinda hoping Fighting Zephiel will have some interesting stuff on it (in before Odin because Red Tomebreaker will let him double through Wary Fighter—or Est and Florina because they're totally awesome with that Heavy Spear+, right?). Maybe I can vainly pull for merges on something I own. >.>

12 minutes ago, Clogon said:

Because all he needs to do is attack once and it will be up. Also, you don't need Draconic Aura to OHKO Hector (Spur ATK 3 is the only buff he has here):

Yes, Lance Breaker will allow him to kill more things without set up and support. And yes it has its uses. You are also right in that it is ultimately the owner's choice on what skill to give.

I just don't understand the high value and necessity of Lance Breaker that many players are giving it. You will always have support and other team members to do what an isolated Reinhardt solo can't. Also, Ice Dragon will be running Hone Cavalry from the looks of it.

Tome Breaker seems much more usefull to me as it allows him to tank and kill mage threats on enemy phase so that he is not stricktly a Player Phase unit. Right now, Reinhardt can't do anything during the enemy phase and sadly +ATK does not have the bulk to survive 2 hits from Brave Bow users to make use of Bow Breaker.

It's not bad. You just need to run a bit more support (Hone Cavalry and Spur ATK/Cavalry). I used a -Res/+Def one before. I gave him Fury to allow him to tank bow users better and boost old Arena Score. Fury made up for the +ATK and Hone Cavalry for Death Blow. It is only this week that I got a -HP, +ATK Reinhardt

Off topic:

How do I tag people?

That's perfectly fair, and I understand wanting to balance him out so that he's not useless on enemy phase. I think this simply represents a difference in playstyle preference. I personally favor hyperspecialization, so I want my Reinhardt as optimized for player phase nuking as possible. You have a different approach, and I respect that.

Also, you tag people by hitting the @ key then typing in their name.

I'm a little worried about this next Arena round. I've been struggling to figure out which bonus character to use. I tried training up Navarre, but he doesn't seem to add anything special to my team. Virion would be my next choice, but I don't have the feathers to upgrade him like I'd like to. (I swear I'm going to give him some love soon.) I worked on training up Sharena for a bit. Got her to level 30 at 3 stars. She'll lower my points a lot, but as a buffer, she'll probably do the best with Nino. I doubt she'll see much combat however. XD I guess that means I'm cutting Michalis...

15 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

That's perfectly fair, and I understand wanting to balance him out so that he's not useless on enemy phase. I think this simply represents a difference in playstyle preference. I personally favor hyperspecialization, so I want my Reinhardt as optimized for player phase nuking as possible. You have a different approach, and I respect that.

Also, you tag people by hitting the @ key then typing in their name.

I am currently using Wings of Mercy for the reason I described previous. If you are planning on using Reinhardt with no support what so ever, then I can see the use in Lance Breaker. When they release more threatening Lances that can survive Reinhard, it will only get better.

Thanks for the instruction!