Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

3 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

The cost of whatever skill you put on them matters, so its probably because Linde has a more expensive skill set!

Does it influence all skills or do you think it matters only with ABC skills? That would mean, you should't use your default skills, because they are less expensive than inherited ones.

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

This is the part where someone makes a joke about how the scantily dressed little girl is violating the sword fighters and not the other way around

The cost of whatever skill you put on them matters, so its probably because Linde has a more expensive skill set!

Good idea. Let's see...

Rein has Dire Thunder, Death Blow, Reposition, Vantage, Luna, Fortify Res

Linde has Blarblade, Fury, Ardent Sacrifice, Moonbow, Desperation, hone atk.

So... all cost is equal except Rein has 2 skills native to him (Dire Thunder and Vantage), Linde has 1 (Ardent Sacrifice).

I'll run Linde with Aura and replace Rein's vantage by something else tomorrow to see how things go.

Edited by Okigen

8 minutes ago, Exoplayer said:

Does it influence all skills or do you think it matters only with ABC skills? That would mean, you should't use your default skills, because they are less expensive than inherited ones.

My guess is that it applies to all skills but uses the skill's normal SP cost. Inherited skills cost 1.5x as much SP to learn but are presumably only worth their normal SP cost in affecting scoring.

4 hours ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

@sdgj1994 @DehNutCase If you have the resources for it, Takumi with a Brave Bow/Life and Death set has a much better matchup spread than Takumi with a Brave Bow/Death Blow set. 

Also, if you choose to go with a Brave Bow set, Vantage isn't particularly worth it on him (or Brave users in general). Instead, I would go for a breaker skill, like Swordbreaker or Lancebreaker (whichever covers more of what your team has trouble with). Desperation is also worth considering.

Good to know, I'll keep an eye out for any spare Hanas or Abels I manage to pull (Swordbreaker over Lancebreaker as Nino deals with most blues just fine). And I guess a special like Moonbow or Luna would be more reliable than Vengeance (as I would rather Takumi not take any damage).

22 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Finally finished training my team. This went rather well. Opponents are in the 700-710 score range. I cherry-picked only opponents worth 706-710.

Score: 4,956
Defense: 300 (8 successes)

Arena offense team:

+1 Sophia [+Atk, -Spd] (Raudhrraven+, (none), Dragon Fang, Triangle Adept 3, G Tomebreaker 3, Fortify Res 3)
+10 Ninian [+Spd, -Res] (Lightning Breath+, Dance, (none), Triangle Adept 3, Escape Route 3, Fortify Dragons, S HP +3)
+2 Titania [+Spd, -Res] (Emerald Axe+, Reposition, Iceberg, Distant Counter, Guard 3, Hone Cavalry)
+4 Reinhardt [+Atk, -Spd] (Dire Thunder, Reposition, Blazing Thunder, Death Blow 3, Vantage 3, Hone Cavalry)

I ran into a team with 2 Reinhardts and a Spring Camilla on the map with the checkerboard destructible walls. The Reinhardts walked into Titania and died. The Camilla walked into Sophia and died. Reinhardt doinked the remaining Lyn out of existence. It was glorious.

My toughest match was against Eldigan, Azura, Reinhardt, and Nino (in that order) on the map with the parallel walls. Reposition saved the day big time at the end when it looked like I was going to have to sacrifice someone to the Nino (even though I think Titania would have survived anyways).

Rank updated.

Score: 4,956
Defense: 300

47 minutes ago, Othin said:

My guess is that it applies to all skills but uses the skill's normal SP cost. Inherited skills cost 1.5x as much SP to learn but are presumably only worth their normal SP cost in affecting scoring.

Well that's interesting. I just looked up with the most expensive skills, which are Escape Route, Wary Fighter, Quick Riposte and Heavy blade (i excluded skills like distant counter because they are only one time upgrade skills), so maybe you should focus on this skills.

Edit: I forgot to mention Poisen Strike and Renewal and Wings of Mercy, which you see very often in arena

Edited by Exoplayer

2 hours ago, sdgj1994 said:

Good to know, I'll keep an eye out for any spare Hanas or Abels I manage to pull (Swordbreaker over Lancebreaker as Nino deals with most blues just fine). And I guess a special like Moonbow or Luna would be more reliable than Vengeance (as I would rather Takumi not take any damage).

There's no reason to run Moonbow over Luna on a Brave Bow set (for any character) because they would both proc on the same round of combat since you're attacking twice for each "hit". 

As for your special on that set, Draconic Aura outdamages Luna if Takumi is +Atk. If Takumi is any other nature, Luna has a better overall matchup spread. 

8 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

Score of 4,768 is just ba-a-arely clinging to top 10k at 9,339 right now.

Rank 9,609 with 21 hours to go.

Don't push me out, pretty please.

This Arena season has been pretty iffy for me. XD This strategist needs more coffee. I haven't gotten a deathless run yet. My best had...2 or 3 deaths I think? At the moment, I have a score of 4,584 and a rank of 35.550. That's probably enough to keep me in the top 50,000, but I'd really like to see if I can jump up a couple of thousand ranks before the season ends. I've got 70+ dueling crests, so I'll probably burn a few of those to see if I can break 4700 at least. 

I've actually been trying to mix up my team a bit. Keeping M. Robin around has been pretty essential for dealing with annoying colorless units. I don't see as much of Takumi though. Hana deals with Hector pretty effectively. And Nino can handle just about anything that doesn't try to handle her first. I've been switching Lucina out with other characters to see how the team functions. I may try Michalis next because with two glass canons, my team needs some more meat. 

On the bright side, I got 3 defense wins on the first two days of this season.  :3

12 minutes ago, Othin said:

4,820 points is now rank 2,806. Solid.

And I finally got a defense win! Against... wait, what the hell?

That's their defense lead, not their offense lead.

I got a deathless streak and I'm sitting just at 4764 points (which right now is rank 10553...). All my opponents were a maximum of 682 points. Not sure if I can get more points somehow.

Score: 4772

Switched my team around to Gordin, Hana, Azura, and Hector. Hana is the only 4* in the lineup but is outfitted with a Brave build. Here's hoping I don't get knocked down past 10k.

Managed to improve my score a bit.

Score: 4782

Team was Hector, Ike, Reinhard and Klein.

My last score was 4750 and that only got me rank 13k ish. It really keeps suprising me how much of a difference a few points can make, but it seems that I'll finally end up above the 10k in rank, so I'm not complaining. Klein didn't do to much for me in this setup, so I'll probably swap him around. Not sure who is gonna replace him though...

11 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

It'd be cool if we were shown what kind of Offense team lost to our Defense team. Rub that ego even harder.

This. This would be so cool. I'd also love to see how many teams our defense teams go up against in general. 

Score update: Got my deathless run by burning two more crests. Switching Lucina for Michalis ended up being a good idea. I think my team just needed some extra mobility. I ended up with 4754. I can't do much better than that unless I only choose battles that are 680 or above, and even that won't make much of a difference. Once I slap Wings of Mercy on Hector and get him up to level 40 I may try him out just to see if I can get my score higher. 

To those who act similar to me: Once you have your run and you decide to give out free defense wins to others (it's agonzing to have none for so long, hoping to get one before the season ends), whom do you give it to? I just use my normal arena team, pick easy and surrender or go for intermediate and go autopilot, basically leaving it to the A.I.

I wonder who might need a defense win more though and if I should change my team to help the ones in greater need.

43 minutes ago, MonkeyCheez3K said:

To those who act similar to me: Once you have your run and you decide to give out free defense wins to others (it's agonzing to have none for so long, hoping to get one before the season ends), whom do you give it to? I just use my normal arena team, pick easy and surrender or go for intermediate and go autopilot, basically leaving it to the A.I.

I wonder who might need a defense win more though and if I should change my team to help the ones in greater need.

In the spirit of competition, this is yucky.

Defense wins should be earned not handed out. 

20 minutes ago, Hawk King said:

In the spirit of competition, this is yucky.

Defense wins should be earned not handed out. 

I don't see it that way at all, seeing that the AI is atrocious, Positioning is now a thing, and the algorithms on how the system picks your team elude me. It's just a matter of luck in my experience, so I dont see how that's a problem. It doesn't affect Arena Rating (or ranking), thus not bothering other players, and only provides additional feathers that are a pain to come by.