Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

5030 moves up to Tier 18, netting 5200 feathers & 4 orbs. Miiight use a Celica instead of Alfonse next season, idk. I want to try actually having magical damage, but at the same time it'll be a +Spd/-Atk going up against mostly +10 teams...granted that's not much different from Alfonse, I suppose.

9 hours ago, Elieson said:

Disgusting.

You know Elise is the best ;) .

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

Xander is a poor choice of bonus unit as a 4* since much of his usefulness comes directly from his 5* Prf. Do you have anyone else you can run in his place?

That said, the rest of your team just looks like it lacks raw damage output, what with two dagger users and a 1-range blue. What else do you have?

My suggestion is to give Kagero Vantage to deal with mage-heavy compositions after an Atk buff, while Sharena can stay. Felicia probably needs to go, so replace her with a green frontliner. Unless there's something she does for your team that I'm missing?

You could even keep Xander and just use him as a Repositioning bot after Kagero gets a pick.

Sorry for the late response.

I have Celicia but she's only lvl 32 atm and only has her default kit, Roy is only 4* and didn't bother much with Subaki and Alphonse. I should just 4* Alphonse and Anna so I don't have to worry about bonus unit, do you know a good budget build for them?

Here's what I have, I hope it's presentable, some skills sets aren't optimal since I don't have a lot of skill fodder due to not rolling much, and I left out some characters because they're just fodder.

I just have Kagero and Felicia in the team mostly because i like them, it's not much of a strategy, Felicia mostly handle mages and debuff stuff, Kagero handles infantry, Sharena handles red, and normally if I had Selena in there she handles the greens. I mostly play passive and try to bait the AI since like you said the team lacks damage.

Looks like I lucked out since the cut off for promotion got extended to 18,067. (Ended with 17,668)

Edited by Fei Mao

Never managed a deathless run, but I'd say this season was pretty successful all around. I got one last second defense win. I kind of felt sorry for the guy. I probably ruined a 6 or 7 streak, but I'm still bitter about the same happening to me so often, so I might as well share some of the salt.

My final score was 4,709 with my offensive and defensive team being M. Robin, Hector, Celica, and Nino. I'm actually thinking about playing around with my team set-up and trying something new for next season. I kind of want to add in an archer. Takumi, Jeorge, and Klein are all options. I may go with Jeorge since he's got some nice RES, and mages are the bane of my existence.

With only about 5,000 advancing to Tier 18, this is going to be rough until the top tiers finish saturating.

The top 2,000 or so will advance to Tier 19 at the end of this coming season, the top 700 or so will advance to Tier 20 after that, and the top 210 will stay in Tier 20 after the first week it was reachable.

However, it looks like they're putting in about a 5% or so leeway, so it might be a bit closer to 2,250 going to Tier 19, 900 going to Tier 20, and 315 staying in Tier 20.

Regardless, it looks like I'm probably not staying in Tier 20 the first time around. No way in hell I'm placing top 300 without ridiculous luck with the bonus heroes.

35 minutes ago, Fei Mao said:

I have Celica but she's only lvl 32 atm and only has her default kit, Roy is only 4* and didn't bother much with Subaki and Alphonse. I should just 4* Alphonse and Anna so I don't have to worry about bonus unit, do you know a good budget build for them?

Here's what I have, I hope it's presentable, some skills sets aren't optimal since I don't have a lot of skill fodder due to not rolling much, and I left out some characters because they're just fodder.

I just have Kagero and Felicia in the team mostly because i like them, it's not much of a strategy, Felicia mostly handle mages and debuff stuff, Kagero handles infantry, Sharena handles red, and normally if I had Selena in there she handles the greens. I mostly play passive and try to bait the AI since like you said the team lacks damage.

Echoes has been taking up all my time so I don't mind late replies

Celica is easily the best of the new units, even if you don't have much skill inheritance to give her. At an absolute minimum, either Fury or Draw back would be great, since she still has 38 Spd when initiating at full HP. Definitely try to squeeze her into your composition. Likewise, Linde at worst can check swords at range, which at least is an alternative to what Sharena offers.

The one other unit that sticks out from your list is Brave Axe+ Cherche. Squeeze in Reposition for the assist and give her Drag Back for her B passive and you have a solid DPS flier with positioning utility. Ike is a bit iffy though Distant Counter and Swordbreaker lets him retain some utility despite being -Atk.

Of course, I'm not sure what skill fodder you have access to at the moment, so checking again might be a good idea.

My unit ratio is 1 Red / 1 Green / 2 Blue, but you have the added advantage of fielding Kagero which lets you clear out a large chunk of ranged threats with just a Hone Atk buff. I'd recommend dropping Felicia in this case since she causes role overlap, unfortunately.

Sample Team:

Spoiler
  • Celica
  • Linde / Sharena
  • Kagero
  • Cherche

As for the starting units, Anna works fine with her default kit, though replacing Astra with any other special skill and Vantage with Desperation or a utility B like Wings of Mercy or Drag Back is ideal. I prefer the Brave + Death Blow build for Alfonse, though since that's prohibitively expensive a set with either Quick Riposte or Swordbreaker for the B passive, alongside a low CD special like Moonbow or Draconic Aura to replace his default Sol and Reposition or Swap for the assist works well enough.

Hope this helped.

1 hour ago, MrSmokestack said:

Echoes has been taking up all my time so I don't mind late replies

Celica is easily the best of the new units, even if you don't have much skill inheritance to give her. At an absolute minimum, either Fury or Draw back would be great, since she still has 38 Spd when initiating at full HP. Definitely try to squeeze her into your composition. Likewise, Linde at worst can check swords at range, which at least is an alternative to what Sharena offers.

The one other unit that sticks out from your list is Brave Axe+ Cherche. Squeeze in Reposition for the assist and give her Drag Back for her B passive and you have a solid DPS flier with positioning utility. Ike is a bit iffy though Distant Counter and Swordbreaker lets him retain some utility despite being -Atk.

Of course, I'm not sure what skill fodder you have access to at the moment, so checking again might be a good idea.

My unit ratio is 1 Red / 1 Green / 2 Blue, but you have the added advantage of fielding Kagero which lets you clear out a large chunk of ranged threats with just a Hone Atk buff. I'd recommend dropping Felicia in this case since she causes role overlap, unfortunately.

Sample Team:

Reveal hidden contents
  • Celica
  • Linde / Sharena
  • Kagero
  • Cherche

As for the starting units, Anna works fine with her default kit, though replacing Astra with any other special skill and Vantage with Desperation or a utility B like Wings of Mercy or Drag Back is ideal. I prefer the Brave + Death Blow build for Alfonse, though since that's prohibitively expensive a set with either Quick Riposte or Swordbreaker for the B passive, alongside a low CD special like Moonbow or Draconic Aura to replace his default Sol and Reposition or Swap for the assist works well enough.

Hope this helped.

Thanks for the assistance, I appreciate it.

Season 16 (1.3.0 S2) Results:

Score: 4,788
Defense: 568

ZSTmw9e.png

This cycle was not kind to me when it came to bonus heroes.  Normally I use whoever the GHB character is if I lack banner 5*s, but Xander is quite underwhelming as a 4*.  I opted for Roy for this time around, and he did his job well enough aside from obviously tanking my score.  A solid check/counter to any leftover greens, and if he wasn't contributing to combat he was a Spur Def bot.  He has an arguably perfect nature of +Spd/-Res so I eventually want to 5* him, but there's too much else I want to do with my feathers at the moment.  I went down in rank unfortunately, but I don't expect to go lower than Tier 16.  Since it seems that the Askr trio are here to stay, I may just have to shift my focus over to them if I want to remain competitive...

I probably could have hit 4,800 with this team had I been incredibly selective with my matches, but I wasn't sure if that would have been a productive use of crests.  Best case scenario I would have remained in Tier 17, but...I'll take the L this time around, and I may just use next week as an excuse to play around with some of my newer 5* units. 

Season 16 Hall of Fame:

Spoiler

Surprisingly nothing of note this week -- just a whole lot of bog standard.  Lack of a full 5* team brought my opponents back down to Earth, I suppose.  So instead, here's a few cool units I found in the rankings of this month's voting gauntlet:

p4wB3Wz.png 

I sure hope most of those came from the Ursula banner a while back.  If not...that's a lot of feathers.

tU19kp4.png

Tanky S!Chrom.  Nino and Tharja still tear him a new one I'm sure, but I'm sure he makes any Reinhardt cry.  As much as I think the Spring characters are goofy as hell, it's a shame they won't be obtainable again for a very long time...

yE5Iqis.png

I want a 5* Corrin so bad. ;_;  I've only ever pulled one since the game's launch, and she's -Atk.  Not worth the 20K feathers. 

Previous Season Results:

Spoiler

28 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

2,500 feathers for 4,658 offence points; 500 feathers for 284 defence points; 1,600 feathers and 3 orbs for staying in tier 16. Not very bad.

You're staying in tier 16? I got a higher offense score than you too?

Now I just feel bad :( You want a hug?

Anywho, 2.5k feathers from 4,764 points. 900 feathers from defense wins, AND I'm moving to tier 17. WOOO HOOO!

Happy days o happy days!

11 hours ago, Arcanite said:

Why does Ignis Oboro do 28 damage? LOL Thats way too much

1. Level Xander to 40

2. Xander isn't going to counter Hector that well, UNLESS he's 5 star. Is your Xander 5 stars?

3. Have you ever considered using a dancer team instead?

Also, I'm assuming blue mages really hurt you a lot. What do you have one your Nino? Cause she's a pretty good Blue mage counter if you gave her fury (or if you just kept RES+3)

She is doing the best she can against that axe demon :(

Xander is now 5* lv 40! Just spend my last stamina of the day on him!!

I'm pretty bad at strategies, I'm going to lost my dancer quickly haha... But now that I think about it, maybe the best is to stay in the Tier I'm right now, probably a higher level will be too hard for my poor characters lol

My Nino is +Res (33 with the +3 skill), it looks she is doing pretty well with the blue mages for now... I was thinking in giving her Desperation (I have 2 estra Shannas) or Vantage (No vantage to use right now), but now I remember someone told me to consider Tomebreaker

7 hours ago, Hawk King said:

Try using a Lv 1 Dancer. Or the lowest level one that you have. Seriously, it's an easy way to get to at least 4,000 points. Only choose advanced.

Sadly my Olivia is now lv 36 haha, she is the only dancer I have Azura and Ninian doesn't like me :(

33 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

You're staying in tier 16? I got a higher offense score than you too?

Now I just feel bad :( You want a hug?

Yep, didn’t manage a deathless run this week, had to settle on one death.

Wasn’t able to retry because of lack of dueling crests. Sucks to be me :(

I do want a hug

On 2017-5-19 at 11:28 AM, DehNutCase said:

Sending units home for feather tends to be the least efficient use of copies, and you only 'save' those feathers if you were going to 5* promote. And, if you were going to 5* promote, it's probably better to send home the units different from the one you are promoting for feathers, since the same unit can be promoted for 5* merges.

A 4* +10 is a short term investment, you pay 11 4* units (roughly 22k feathers), and a 5* unit (for weapon) versus a 5* +4 which is roughly 100k feathers, meaning you save 60k now in exchange for destroying 6 extra copies of a unit compared to a 5* +4 merge and locking that unit to its 4* cap. (Since you just destroyed 10 copies of the unit to save 60k feathers now.)

It's better in the short term, sure, but if you ever upgrade it, you basically sent home 10 copies for feathers, even though you could've saved them for 5* merges, SI fodder, etc. etc.

I guess we view things very differently given the difference in how much we spend on the game. In most cases, you will be switching out the weapon of the 3* and 4* units so sacrificing a different 5* means little. The sheer abundance of them (unless you are F2P) means that the copies used for merging is not going to be missed.

I will take my future 4* +10 Cherche for example. Before getting extra copies of Camilla and deciding to invest into Cherche, I had already released over 12 other copies of her. Her Pivot is not very useful compared to Reposition and Swap while +ATK is over shadowed by Fury and LaD. Any copies I get will be feather material. I am constantly sending units home since I just don't have room.

Given the amount of units you need to send home to get 220k feathers, you will have a tonne of 3* and 4* units that can go +10 without much problem while you wait. As someone who has spent a lot of money on this game, I can understand why our views are so different.

Also why do you say a 4* +10 is only worth a 5* +4? From what I have gathered in my quick skim of 4* stats, most 4* +10 are equal to their 5* +5 equivalant with +/-1 stat except when +4 boons/-4 banes are in consideration. Can you tell me which units you are looking at specifically? I didn't look into detail so any guidance is helpful. Thank you.

Edited by Clogon

12 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

I do want a hug

You look like you need a hug....

19 minutes ago, SniperGYS said:

My Nino is +Res (33 with the +3 skill), it looks she is doing pretty well with the blue mages for now... I was thinking in giving her Desperation (I have 2 estra Shannas) or Vantage (No vantage to use right now), but now I remember someone told me to consider Tomebreaker

If you want to keep her high res stat, you should give her fury if you ever get a Hinata

But for the B skill, you definitely want desperation!

Yeah, I think I won't be going up to Tier 19 next season, considering I was around in the middle of the pack for those who promoted to Tier 18 so I'll most likely will be right under the cut. Though the rewards for tier 18 aren't half bad, so I have no problems remaining there. 

2 hours ago, Clogon said:

Also why do you say a 4* +10 is only worth a 5* +4? From what I have gathered in my quick skim of 4* stats, most 4* +10 are equal to their 5* +5 equivalant with +/-1 stat except when +4 boons/-4 banes are in consideration. Can you tell me which units you are looking at specifically? I didn't look into detail so any guidance is helpful. Thank you.

Most 5*s have +2 or 3 in everything compared to 4*s. +5 levels gives +2 to all stats. Ergo, a 4* +6 is roughly equal to a 5* + 0. 4* +10 is therefore equal to 5* + [10 - 6 = 4].

If +/- 1 stat is the same unit, then a 5* +0 is roughly equal to a 5* +2. (You can't just go 'close enough' when differences are very slight to begin with. +levels don't do all that much until you stack a lot of them---a 4*+10 probably doesn't even have any match-up advantages over a 5* +0 until a 5* weapon is inherited, due to the weapon being 4 stat points, or 2 +levels.)

Edited by DehNutCase

Legit fuck that one map with alternating pairs of walls and defense tiles. That map is awful as the enemy always gets to their defense tiles on turn 1, not to mention the game's tendency to dump Reinhardt teams on that map.

Had one death on the last match. Going to have to try again, but not today. Today is clearly not a good day for me in the arena. The sheer amount of bullshit I ran into in the past hour is staggering.

Edited by Korath88

The new lava map is legit free money because everyone runs mages. All you have to do is stick your mage counter on the corresponding defense tile.

I advanced to Tier 18, but I have no idea if I can stay in it. I don't really expect to go to 19. With +2 Celica, +2 Lucina, +1 Azura and someone else, I think I can scrape a score that's around 4850, or closer to 4900? Probably not enough, but we'll see.

I'm doing +2 Celica, +1 Azura, Julia and Reinhardt for my safe run right now.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

31 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Most 5*s have +2 or 3 in everything compared to 4*s. +5 levels gives +2 to all stats. Ergo, a 4* +6 is roughly equal to a 5* + 0. 4* +10 is therefore equal to 5* + [10 - 6 = 4].

If +/- 1 stat is the same unit, then a 5* +0 is roughly equal to a 5* +2. (You can't just go 'close enough' when differences are very slight to begin with. +levels don't do all that much until you stack a lot of them---a 4*+10 probably doesn't even have any match-up advantages over a 5* +0 until a 5* weapon is inherited, due to the weapon being 4 stat points, or 2 +levels.)

+/-1 is total BST between 4* +10 and 5* +5. I do not know of any char (of the ones I am planning to invest in) that has +2 BST outside of +/-4 Boon/Bane. For example 5* +5 Cherche only has +1 HP over her 4* +10 counterpart. If she has a SPD boon, then she will also get +1 SPD since it is a +4 boon.

If you have a list of specific chars in mind, please share it. I would like to keep note of them so that I don't invest into their 4* +10 version. Thanks in advance!