Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

4 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Arena quests are back but they had to become available when the most cancerous map rotation is on.

They are weekly and will last for three weeks, covering both fort sets and the set with the map with two parallel walls with breakable sections.

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Vaximillian said:

They are weekly and will last for three weeks, covering both fort sets and the set with the map with two parallel walls with breakable sections.

I'd like to call those sets...

Original set (maps set that has been available since the game's release)

Defensive set (first defensive maps set)

Cancer set (second defensive maps set)

5 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

I'd like to call those sets...

While the ongoing set is definitely cancerous, the original sets also could be pretty bad: double bridges, parallel walls, lava maze, underground pillars.
Nothing to compare with the current one, as I must repeat. Double-L forts, fucking boats, zipper forts, lava redux, ewwww.

1 minute ago, Vaximillian said:

While the ongoing set is definitely cancerous, the original sets also could be pretty bad: double bridges, parallel walls, lava maze, underground pillars.
Nothing to compare with the current one, as I must repeat. Double-L forts, fucking boats, zipper forts, lava redux, ewwww.

The boat map is, IMO, the worst of the bunch if only because the map is set up so that it's practically 1-way unless both teams are Flier Emblem ones. Of course, not everybody runs a Flier Emblem team so the map is rather cramped thanks to the breakable crates. The 1-way route of the boat map makes AI manipulation much more difficult, especially if the AI team has a dancer.

Hello Arena Quests, glad to have you back, even if not permanently or daily :(

Sooo, if my assumptions are correct, then 4860 (thx Hinoka) should be enough to go to Tier 20. The garbage maps should work in my favor and the point-heaviest people should be in 20 or 18 right now. I'd love being a 19/20 swapper, need those feathers.

37 minutes ago, MonkeyCheez3K said:

Hello Arena Quests, glad to have you back, even if not permanently or daily :(

Sooo, if my assumptions are correct, then 4860 (thx Hinoka) should be enough to go to Tier 20. The garbage maps should work in my favor and the point-heaviest people should be in 20 or 18 right now. I'd love being a 19/20 swapper, need those feathers.

4850 area is still a promo into 20 zone right now, but its still day 1

5030 (T20) is currently Rank 85, with the cutoff at 496. Highest Def score is 582, with a total of two (one of which came as I was sitting here, doing Arena runs =P ).

Teams faced:

Spoiler

5mYcc1k.png

And I thought last week's skill sets were bad...yeesh.

Not having merges on the bonus unit hurt the score a bit. I was running the trusty Eirika, Nino, Azura core with Katarina tagging along and occasionally -blade nuking some poor, unsuspecting axe/green tome. I might try swapping Nino out for Hector for future matches, depending on how the cutoffs are looking as the season progresses.

Oh my, I ran into a horse emblem team for the second (or third?) time ever!  I'm actually quite proud of myself for not losing anyone in the fight, ahaha.  Ummm, I kinda had a mini heart attack at first, though. :lol:

Screenshot_20170620-063807.png

This season has been rough for me so far.  I think I blew through 4-5 Dueling Crests just to get a deathless run.  Definitely the toughest time I've had in a while!  I feel like I hardly ever ran into any teams without a dancer + Reinhardt this time.  I guess that's my payback for having that combo on my own defense team, eh?  :dry:  (Speaking of that, I already have 2 defense wins!)

I'm at 4836 in Tier 19 right now.  I wonder if that'll be enough to get back to Tier 20 again?  I'm going to try to raise it later in the week if possible.

Team: Hector, Olivia, Reinhardt (+2), Anna

Edited by Infinite Dreams

Last week I didn't run Arena at all because I was preoccupied with other things. I was expecting to still receive my rewards and be demoted, but apparently there is no tier shift (as well as no rewards, obviously) if one does not play Arena at all for the week.

So, if one is going on a trip or will otherwise not be able to access FE:Heroes for a prolonged period of time, one does not need to worry about the Arena Rank because it will stay the same until some matches are played.

Got a defense win. Now I don't have to worry for the rest of the week, Also Cecilia is scary. Ryoma barely tanked a hit from her while on a fort tile. He was left with 1 hp (yay for that extra hp from +1 merge). Good thing she was only buffed by fortify cav, otherwise he would have been a goner. Horse mages dish out a lot of damage. I already miss last season where there were barely any horse emblem due to bonus heroes.  

Welp, got my deathless streak really easily with my horse team, but I also have a pretty middling score because I get way fewer points per run with my horse team than my usual team. 

They have fewer merges and also don't have a lot of level 3 skills (Camus still has Fury 2, Xander has QR 2, Reinhardt has Lancebreaker 2, and Cecilia has LD 2 and Gronnblade (not +))

I might just end up keeping Camus in as a bonus unit and switching the other 3 horses out for my usual Arena team for higher points. I'm never going to make it back into Tier 20 otherwise. 

At least I already have defense wins though?

Finished my deathless streak for a score of 4836 in tier 18, which got me rank 88 when I got it a while ago. Should be enough to let me promote, so now I only need to worry about getting a defence win...

Using Camus is fun, but it takes some getting used to. He works really well with Reinhardt, so red and blue units tend to die quite quickly, but green units are a bit more troublesome now that Ryoma isn't getting buffs from Sharena anymore. Luckely, mono green teams aren't to common.

No 5* bonus units for me this season.

So either a pony up the 20k feathers to promote Camus or Anna to 5*, or probably drop down back to tier 18 even if I go deathless.

Camus might be a good option if I ever decide to horse emblem, he's probably the best blue melee horse out there.

Anna at least would be a bonus unit 1/3 of the time. She's not awful, 38 speed is great, with Eirika buffs and a speed increasing skill she could double just about everything, and Vantage is great, but she competes for a spot with Hector, and let's face it, I'd always rather have Hector.

Investing 20k feathers just to get a couple hundred more feathers is a pretty poor investment, and if anything it only aids my pride if I advance to tier 20 but pay 20k for it.

Current score of 4832 which is ranked 116 in tier 18 which should be good enough to promote. Also snagged a second defense win. Now I just have to finish up the arena quests and I'm done for the week. 

Dropped back to Tier 19 though that was expected as I knew I wouldn't stay in Tier 20. Got my deathless run and defence win already so I'll spend the rest of the crests doing the arena quests.

4 hours ago, Infinite Dreams said:

I'm at 4836 in Tier 19 right now.  I wonder if that'll be enough to get back to Tier 20 again?  I'm going to try to raise it later in the week if possible.

Team: Hector, Olivia, Reinhardt (+2), Anna

Snap, got the same score as you! Though I cheesed the arena this week and used my horse emblem team of Xander, Camus, Olwen and Reinhardt. I'm planning on 5* Cecilia after this week so that I'll finally have a 5* Green cavlary unit, though I've being doing just fine without a green unit for the past couple of seasons.

Aimed for blues in the Vantage banner and got a second 5* Reinhardt for a +1 merge. Too bad I still haven't pulled a +Atk version. :<

Anyway, spent some free crests from the quests and got a new personal best of 4,854, which as of this moment is Rank 36 in Tier 18.

Team:

• Hector+2
  • Reinhardt+1
  • Camus
  • Xander

I've gotten 6 defense wins already with this team as well, with a high score of 582. Hopefully with these units, I can start to bounce between Tier 19-20 rather than 18-19.

Edited by Otorio

23 minutes ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

Today I learned that Cymbeline's Atk boost still goes off even if Sanaki dies. It didn't screw things up for me that time, but it's definitely an eyebrow raiser that I need to watch out for in tighter situations.

I imagine the same occurs if a unit with Cupid Bow, Blessed Bouquet, First Bite or Light / Dark Breath attacks. Pain, Candlelight (?), and Gravity also apply even if the unit that initiated dies. I haven't seen this happen in Arena before, but it's something to watch out for nonetheless.

4 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

I imagine the same occurs if a unit with Cupid Bow, Blessed Bouquet, First Bite or Light / Dark Breath attacks. Pain, Candlelight (?), and Gravity also apply even if the unit that initiated dies. I haven't seen this happen in Arena before, but it's something to watch out for nonetheless.

After-battle weapon effects always occur as long as the user of the weapon attacked during the round of combat (and initiated that round of combat, if applicable), even if the user dies.

I can certainly confirm that Cymbeline, Dark Breath, Light Breath, Brynhildr, Legion's Axe, Clarisse's Bow, Deathly Dagger, Elivagar, and all staves behave like this. There's nothing that would cause me to believe the few weapons that have such effects that I haven't listed are any different.

I assume Sanaki dying to a Vantage hit will fail to activate Cymbeline's effect, though I haven't tested it.

I was thinking the Arena Quests were dailies and not weeklies at first and was into Lunatic before I realized they weren't.  Well, at least I got a Score of 4822, which has me at rank 196/17074, with the cut-off at 6829 for Tier 18.  Looks like I'll be going back up to 19 again next week.  I'm starting to feel a bit like Sisyphus.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

After-battle weapon effects always occur as long as the user of the weapon attacked during the round of combat (and initiated that round of combat, if applicable), even if the user dies.

I can certainly confirm that Cymbeline, Dark Breath, Light Breath, Brynhildr, Legion's Axe, Clarisse's Bow, Deathly Dagger, Elivagar, and all staves behave like this. There's nothing that would cause me to believe the few weapons that have such effects that I haven't listed are any different.

I assume Sanaki dying to a Vantage hit will fail to activate Cymbeline's effect, though I haven't tested it.

It's strange that Deathly dagger's poison strike triggers if Jaffar dies but regular poison strike does jack diddly if the wielder dies during the combat, but whatever.

Also, according to the calculator---which could be wrong, mind---Deathly Dagger's poison strike triggers even if Jaffar gets 1HKO'd by Vantage. Defense debuff doesn't happen if the attack doesn't land, though.

Edited by DehNutCase

5 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

It's strange that Deathly dagger's poison strike triggers if Jaffar dies but regular poison strike does jack diddly if the wielder dies during the combat, but whatever.

Also, according to the calculator---which could be wrong, mind---Deathly Dagger's poison strike triggers even if Jaffar gets 1HKO'd by Vantage. Defense debuff doesn't happen if the attack doesn't land, though.

Ugh. I don't want to test all these things. Goddammit.

God I hate edge cases.

Well 4880 was just enough to keep me in Tier 20, but unless I pull several more Nowis, Ryomas, and Hectors, there is no way I'm going to stay in Tier 20 again. Not a bad run for only having a total of 3 merges. (+2 Nowi, +1 Ryoma)

I guess I can just do some experimenting this week to prepare myself to get back next week.

edit - Omg, the cut is already at 750. I might have a chance to stay again depending on how many whales moved up from Tier 19.

Edited by Hawk King