Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Oh yeah, I guess that could work, huh? I think IS needs to implement a no duplicates rule though.

No duplicates doesn't help much. You'd simply use characters that serve the same purpose instead of three or four of the same character. It's slightly less effective, but it still does the same thing.

For example, my current team is green spam Flier Emblem with a bonus unit, Cherche, Minerva, and Spring Camilla.

@XRay's team of one bonus unit and three Reinhardts could easily be replaced with Reinhardt, Olwen, and Ursula and still have similar results.

@Anacybele @Bartozio Regarding Nino, perhaps you two aren't running the same number or types of buffs or have different builds? Neutral Fury Nino with only a boost from Hone Atk 3, for example, only has 68 effective Atk against blue, which is very close to the magic bulk on most +0 blue mages (65-70 range with Fury) and could easily result in failed one-hit kills.

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

No duplicates doesn't help much. You'd simply use characters that serve the same purpose instead of three or four of the same character. It's slightly less effective, but it still does the same thing.

For example, my current team is green spam Flier Emblem with a bonus unit, Cherche, Minerva, and Spring Camilla.

@XRay's team of one bonus unit and three Reinhardts could easily be replaced with Reinhardt, Olwen, and Ursula and still have similar results.

Really? Huh. I didn't think of it that way. You probably have a good point.

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

@Anacybele @Bartozio Regarding Nino, perhaps you two aren't running the same number or types of buffs or have different builds? Neutral Fury Nino with only a boost from Hone Atk 3, for example, only has 68 effective Atk against blue, which is very close to the magic bulk on most +0 blue mages (65-70 range with Fury) and could easily result in failed one-hit kills.

Yeah, that's possible. My Nino doesn't have Fury. Her set is Gronnblade+, Iceberg, Draw Back, Res +3, Desperation 2, and Hone Atk 3. I do want to replace Res +3 though, and maybe Fury isn't a bad idea for this.

I field a team of Titania, Ursula, Xander, +Bonus unit.  I've never had less than 10 Defense wins since I started using this group.

11 minutes ago, Rinco said:

I think I'll just throw Cecilia, Reinhardt, Olwen and Ursula and see where it goes.

Depending on how naive players are, you might want to use a bait as a leader to draw in players. I use the Askr Trio as bait, but Delthea (I fell for this one) and other units not associated with cavalry units are good as well.

Edited by XRay

6 minutes ago, XRay said:

Depending on how naive players are, you might want to use a bait as a leader to draw in players. I use the Askr Trio as bait, but Delthea (I fell for this one) and other units not associated with cavalry units are good as well.

People didn't seem to be much deterred by my Peri when she was a bonus unit. I assume players assume that using a very non-standard cavalry unit is an act of "I need a bonus unit" and not "I have a cavalry team behind this".

22 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

18 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, that's possible. My Nino doesn't have Fury. Her set is Gronnblade+, Iceberg, Draw Back, Res +3, Desperation 2, and Hone Atk 3. I do want to replace Res +3 though, and maybe Fury isn't a bad idea for this.

Probably it then, since I was counting Fury 3 and Hone Atk + Hone Spd boost for my calculations.

But yeah, Nino likes Fury or LaD quite a lot as A-skills, so if you use her a lot you might want to checks if you have some Hinata's lying around.

10 minutes ago, XRay said:

At some point I just stopped caring about what people use as a lead to be honest. These days, ervything could hide a cav team, and not every cav lead seems to imply a full cav team either (still somewhat suprised by that).

I personaly just use the Askr Trio as my lead for my defence team, since it tells people very little about the team.

7 minutes ago, Bartozio said:

Probably it then, since I was counting Fury 3 and Hone Atk + Hone Spd boost for my calculations.

But yeah, Nino likes Fury or LaD quite a lot as A-skills, so if you use her a lot you might want to checks if you have some Hinata's lying around.

I don't have any Hinatas though. I used up pretty much all the Fury fodder I had.

28 minutes ago, XRay said:

17 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

People didn't seem to be much deterred by my Peri when she was a bonus unit. I assume players assume that using a very non-standard cavalry unit is an act of "I need a bonus unit" and not "I have a cavalry team behind this".

I'm not sure if most people are like me, but I always just go with the first Advance team it throws at me, and have only gone fishing like twice, and only then for better scores, and not to avoid certain teams or units.

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I'm not sure if most people are like me, but I always just go with the first Advance team it throws at me, and have only gone fishing like twice, and only then for better scores, and not to avoid certain teams or units.

I'm actually not sure most players even know that you can select Give Up on the selection screen without breaking your streak. However, you're more likely to get more wins if more players fight your team, and you're more likely to have more players fight your team if you don't scare off the players that do actually pick and choose their opponents.

I'll take any win I can get.

21 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

17 minutes ago, Bartozio said:

At some point I just stopped caring about what people use as a lead to be honest. These days, ervything could hide a cav team, and not every cav lead seems to imply a full cav team either (still somewhat suprised by that).

3 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Okay. I guess people fish a lot less than I thought.

Took my newly trained Titania & Xander on my runs this week, guest starring Gronnblade (not+, also 3*) Cecilia. Did prety well, upper 4600. Reinhardt still ridiculous, but having a sword with range is equally so (also: bonfire). Would probably be 4700, but I lost a unit at one point. Though I definitely got lucky, I didn't bring my dancer for the first time in ages so i did some pretty stupid positioning.

I need to seriously overhaul cecillia's moveset though...probably pass along the ward skill chain.

Forgot to record what my old score of 4864 was at, but it was something like 2100/2200 last I checked (about an hourish ago). Anyway, got my Nino to +6 and while I still saw a 692 here and there, it seems like 694-696 is my new average.

Tier 20 score of 4886 (no deaths; no surrenders; Nowi +3, Sharena 5*, Eirika 5*, Nino +6; 694, 702, 698, 702, 698, 696, 696):

• Jul 22 6:00PM PT - #1737 (/2253 to stay)

That looks a lot better, but still some level of iffy. I guess I don't know what the decay looks like 22 points above my last score, so I suppose there's a possibility of this being enough. Still, with two days left, I won't hold my breath.

Some highlights of the streak is one-shotting a couple Deltheas in magic duels with my Nino while the Deltheas had defense tiles. Another was running into an opposing +Atk 5* +10 Nino. Neither Nino had G Tomebreaker and neither could one-shot each other (mine can get up to 67 Atk and I needed something like 72). Buuuut, I run Spur Spd on my Nowi, so mine had just enough to double. GG.

I'm really, really starting to like that double mountain map with the defense tiles in the middle. I mean, it's still a terrible pain when the entire enemy team is horses, but if it's mixed or infantry, or even fliers, it's actually a really nice map (with enough positioning skills). My word of advice: don't go for the defense tiles unless you have a distinct, unopposable advantage against the enemy team. Otherwise, they're a trap. Instead, position to spread out along the southern side. Get your most vulnerable member as close to the woods tile as possible. It seems the AI doesn't account for movement penalties, as I can, almost without fail, get enemy infantry to do some really dumb stuff jamming up against it. This allows for some really nasty shit like picking their front unit with Nino, getting her repositioned back, letting the next enemy move up against the woods, then repeating until they have nothing left.

Up to five defense wins with 578 still at the top.

This map rotation was really painful for me, I lost like 5 streaks to some map BS (I hate you defense+obstacles map and you too boat map with crates!) but I finally got a score of 4806 (pretty low I know, but I didn't give any skills to Saber). Sadly I haven't gotten a defense win in two weeks, it seems having a +Atk Death blow 3 Reinhardt + Dancer isn't good enough, I'll try something more cancerous like WoM Hector+Dancer+Ranged Tank.

Didn't get any Defence wins for the first time in months last week and I haven't gotten any this week either. I'm switching around units to find out what's causing this.

For the record, stacking blue doesn't work anymore 

I've also been running a SoV theme team with Alm/Celica/Berkut/Delthea for offense since I already have my deathless run, but they're doing surprisingly well?

Edited by Korath88

20 minutes ago, Korath88 said:

I've also been running a SoV theme team with Alm/Celica/Berkut/Delthea for offense since I already have my deathless run, but they're doing surprisingly well?

Beats the guy putting Chrom/Lucina/Marth/Tiki up. At least Chrom/Lucina/"Marth"/Spring Lucina is scarier.

2 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Beats the guy putting Chrom/Lucina/Marth/Tiki up. At least Chrom/Lucina/"Marth"/Spring Lucina is scarier.

How does one win with a full red team? (We're talking offense, right?)

11 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Hone/Fortify Lucinas when?

Heading back into Tier 19. Can't wait to taste rejection again next week~

3 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Hone/Fortify Lucinas when?

CYL banner. All four characters will come with Hone Lucina/Ike/Roy/Lyn. 

Actually, the banner will just be Lucina dressed as the other three Heroes.

9 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

Actually, the banner will just be Lucina dressed as the other three Heroes.

*Hands her Lucina costume*

"Is this really necessary?"

"Just put it on and hone yourself, dangit!"

I've managed to get 2 defense wins this week! Yay! One of them has a rather interesting Ephraim set as the lead... He appears to be +RES -DEF. They gave him LaD 3 and B. Tomebreaker. A +ATK seal leaves him with 57 ATK (which is pretty crazy), but the rest of his stat spread is 30/24/18... It seems like a shame to take away all of his bulk like that. XD It looks like they were going for some sort of Reinhardt counter. But it seems like a waste on Ephraim. (They could probably also run Fury 3 plus B. Tomebreaker and accomplish the same thing and also keep him from becoming flimsy...)