Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

On 9/13/2017 at 5:42 PM, Hawk King said:

AoE skills cost more SP than the more practical skills like Ignis, Glacies and Dragon Fang so they increase the scores by a little bit. Everyone I use in the arena has inherited an AoE skill if they don't already come with Aether or Galeforce. Upgrading all four characters to AoE skills should increase the average score per fight by about 4-6.

Fury's only affect on the score comes from it's 200 SP cost. Only a characters true base stats affect the score and it is extremely minor now.  Rarity, Level, Merges, and SP cost of skills are the big things now, and with Rarity and Level being simple to "max out" (5* - LV40) the only things left to improve on are adding merges or adding more expensive skills.

It was a few days ago, but Thanks for the reply.

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Was doing beginner matches to get my 100 feathers for the day and ran into this:

Hide contents

euX7ix5.png

I was immensely confused, since this requires consciously unequipping Steel Sword/Silver Sword as Zephiel is not available as a 2*.

There is a strategy for the Narcian GHB were Zephiel blocks the choke point, but has to spare the opponent. Perhaps this guy equipped the wrong sword since then? 

Oh, I think I had the most depressing thing happening in this game to me yet.

I decided to merge and +1 my remaining Xander and Camus with my 40k feathers to finally be in the range to stay in Tier 20. So I ran into the same lethal Azura, B!Lyn, Reinhardt & Titania Team on the same map twice and managed to beat them sneakily. Then on my last battle without losing anyone before, my own fingers defeated me by not repositioning Reinhardt to safety with Xander and then swapping Xander with B!Ike to bait a B!Lucina, who then - of course - slaughtered me... I still managed to survive with 1 unit, but well, goodbye Tier 20. I'll try again, I guess, but god this is so depressing.

I need a hug - and this game needs a "Are you really sure you want to do this? Yes/No" Mode for our own safety.

1 hour ago, pullofthebush said:

Oh, I think I had the most depressing thing happening in this game to me yet.

I decided to merge and +1 my remaining Xander and Camus with my 40k feathers to finally be in the range to stay in Tier 20. So I ran into the same lethal Azura, B!Lyn, Reinhardt & Titania Team on the same map twice and managed to beat them sneakily. Then on my last battle without losing anyone before, my own fingers defeated me by not repositioning Reinhardt to safety with Xander and then swapping Xander with B!Ike to bait a B!Lucina, who then - of course - slaughtered me... I still managed to survive with 1 unit, but well, goodbye Tier 20. I'll try again, I guess, but god this is so depressing.

I need a hug - and this game needs a "Are you really sure you want to do this? Yes/No" Mode for our own safety.

I relate...so hard right now. I think I just used 60 dueling crests to try and get myself a better score. (I had them to waste anyways, and i was determined to break 4854.) I think at least 5 times I had a map ruined by either a dumb mistake or wonky AI. ;A; The Arena actually made me beyond angry. Had to take a snack break. 

BUT...I ended up switching out Amelia for Nowi. Running Brave Roy+2, Cecilia+1, Nowi+1, and Ephraim+1 managed to net me a score of 4882 practically shattering my previous high score!!!! Sadly, that only puts me at 3843/3906. I highly doubt that will be enough to keep me in rank 20. But like...I beat my high score. That's all that matters. 

I ran into the most rage inducing team today. A horse emblem team of Rein x 2 and CYL!Lyn x2. Obviously I lost my deathless streak. There's a special place in hell for people who run such defense teams. I'm just sad that I lost what would have been a new high score for me :(

3 hours ago, Kiran said:

I ran into the most rage inducing team today. A horse emblem team of Rein x 2 and CYL!Lyn x2. Obviously I lost my deathless streak. There's a special place in hell for people who run such defense teams. I'm just sad that I lost what would have been a new high score for me :(

i ran once into such a Team in Arena Assault. I just put my Gronnraven+ Triangle Adept Vantage Bunny Camilla in range of all 4 and watched her paint the floor red on turn 1 enemy phase.

Also i noticed since I am running now with 715~ points per battle I am encountering way less Horse/Flier Emblem Teams then i was when i was running for 680 to 696 points. Is this because Horse and Flier units have less BST?

Edited by Hilda

3 minutes ago, Hilda said:

Also i noticed since I am running now with 715~ points per battle I am encountering way less Horse/Flier Emblem Teams then i was when i was running for 680 to 696 points. Is this because Horse and Flier units have less BST?

Yeah, pretty much. I hear @Ice Dragon runs into a very small pool of 740 whale teams due to his army of merged armours and dragons, many of which run enough Effies for the Hammer to be a relevant choice on Sheena.

The whale game is a whole different ballpark.

4 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Yeah, pretty much. I hear @Ice Dragon runs into a very small pool of 740 whale teams due to his army of merged armours and dragons, many of which run enough Effies for the Hammer to be a relevant choice on Sheena.

ok that kinda makes sense, because i still run into Armor Emblems now end then. But you are right i encounter Teams with +10 Effies. Although thats for me not a Problem with Sonyas Charge being ready due to Infantery Pulse. At least so far. There is still the option of picking the units up with my Firesweep Tana. Which has come surprisingly in Handy for this range of points.

1 hour ago, phineas81707 said:

1 hour ago, Hilda said:

ok that kinda makes sense, because i still run into Armor Emblems now end then. But you are right i encounter Teams with +10 Effies. Although thats for me not a Problem with Sonyas Charge being ready due to Infantery Pulse. At least so far. There is still the option of picking the units up with my Firesweep Tana. Which has come surprisingly in Handy for this range of points.

Hammers are a wonderful thing.

I do need to make a few more Triangle Adept red units, though. The new pool of 742's at the top is almost pure green (there's a Gwendolyn with Steady Breath and Wrath, though) and don't have Cancel Affinity. Tiki, Selena, Sophia, and Palla get to put in a lot of work for me. I might also actually train Tobin for another Armorslayer, too. Maybe finally give Frederick Axebreaker.

The 740+ metagame is weird. It feels so strange going into half of your Arena Assault matches only fielding 2 units.

Gods this week was painful, boat map+ B!Lyn is a pain to survive through. I finally got a deathless streak of 4878 with a team of B!Lyn, B!Ike, Tana and Eirika.

I need to start focusing on merges, I noticed that my max score went from 698 to 706 due to B!Ike skills and my Eirika+3 with DC which is nice but the amount of horses hurts (mostly due to the maps and fricken Azura who I despise).

40 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

Gods this week was painful, boat map+ B!Lyn is a pain to survive through. I finally got a deathless streak of 4878 with a team of B!Lyn, B!Ike, Tana and Eirika.

I need to start focusing on merges, I noticed that my max score went from 698 to 706 due to B!Ike skills and my Eirika+3 with DC which is nice but the amount of horses hurts (mostly due to the maps and fricken Azura who I despise).

I agree on the boat, but ONLY if she has a dancer that decides to dance her.  Otherwise that's the easiest map, because she puts herself in just the right place to not hit anyone, be vulnerable to my own Brave Lyn, and still be out of everyone else's range after a Reposition.

I didn't realize how much skill levels would change things.  Swapped out my Xander who had a level 2 A and B skill for Brave Roy who had max level everything (so basically +1 level to A, B, and special) and my score range went from 680-688 to 684-696.  Wonder how much of a difference giving Brave Lyn an Aether would make.

Ugh, Arena Assault is really annoying. I went ahead and maxed out my +10 Sheena [+Atk, -Spd] (Killer Axe+, Rally Def/Res, Aether, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte 3, Drive Def 2, Atk Ploy 1), but I still get 740's in the middle of my 742's just barely often enough to break the perfect streak I have going. I've had my streak of 742's broken on the last or second to last match way too often now.

I really wish I had 9 more Amelias (or 4 more Ikes).

Also like a million more red units with Ruby Swords or Armorslayers. I guess it's time to train Roy and Tobin. Maybe Hinata and Seth, too. Or Stahl. And give everyone Axebreaker.

Maybe I should max out a +10 Gwendolyn or something.

Mrgrgrr.

Edited by Ice Dragon

I think I'm gonna have to try something else for defenses this week. Still sitting at 0 right now despite the same B Lyn/Olwen/Xander/Camus team I ran last week that got 5 defenses.

Defenses feel so fickle. I wish I owned a good Reinhardt solely to help secure defenses more consistently. Running horse teams without him (or a good Cecilia) seems really hit or miss for me, but since Lyn's the bonus unit this week I don't see much better to go for.

7 hours ago, Alkaid said:

I think I'm gonna have to try something else for defenses this week. Still sitting at 0 right now despite the same B Lyn/Olwen/Xander/Camus team I ran last week that got 5 defenses.

Defenses feel so fickle. I wish I owned a good Reinhardt solely to help secure defenses more consistently. Running horse teams without him (or a good Cecilia) seems really hit or miss for me, but since Lyn's the bonus unit this week I don't see much better to go for.

Cecilia's role in HE is honestly the least replicable of the bunch

If you did not run Reinhardt or Lyn, Ursula, Olwen, and ESPECIALLY Roy is still fucking broken

I finally switched over to horse emblem as my main arena offense team thanks to CYL Lyn. There's literally one every match and my most effective counter is TA Raven Cecilia, so I may as well bring the rest of the ponies anyways.

5 defense wins so far, FE7 squad with Hector, CYL Lyn, Eliwood and Ninian is a surprisingly effective defense team.

I'm amused at the number of Windsweep Amelias on 742-point teams with 41 Spd.

My Tiki has 37 Spd and Phantom Spd 1. I've never been so thankful that this skill exists (or that my Tiki is +Spd instead of +Atk).

Edited by Ice Dragon

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'm amused at the number of Windsweep Amelias on 742-point teams with 41 Spd.

My Tiki has 37 Spd and Phantom Spd 1. I've never been so thankful that this skill exists (or that my Tiki is +Spd instead of +Atk).

Windsweep doesn't affect her anyway though.

All this praise for Cecilia makes me feel that I really need to finish mine off.  Problem is that my only options are +Atk/-Res (so -1BST) and Neutral.  Could have swore I had a +Spd one, but mistook the +Atk one for it.

I think they need to adress Arena Assault to some degree. There are only so many Brave Lyn and Reinhardt counters available in my character roster. Its kinda shitty that you cant use a character twice but you run into the same characters a dozen times as the opponent. A check automatic swap out of that character with a Random generated Character with the same BST and some Random skills would help.

15 minutes ago, Hilda said:

Its kinda shitty that you cant use a character twice but you run into the same characters a dozen times as the opponent.

It's kind of the point of the mode to force you to have 7 fully viable teams so that you can't just rely on a small pool of units to win.

If I could field my Sanaki in all 6 follow-up matches, I totally would. She can one-hit kill every enemy in the 742-point pool except 鏡mochi's Gwendolyn and [insert the guy's kaomoji here]'s Cancel Affinity Sheena. But that defeats the point of the mode.

17 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

It's kind of the point of the mode to force you to have 7 fully viable teams so that you can't just rely on a small pool of units to win.

If I could field my Sanaki in all 6 follow-up matches, I totally would. She can one-hit kill every enemy in the 742-point pool except 鏡mochi's Gwendolyn and [insert the guy's kaomoji here]'s Cancel Affinity Sheena. But that defeats the point of the mode.

I do get that, and i dont mind useing my other characters at all, but as said, i had once a Run where all 7 maps contained either a Reinhard or Lyn or both, I literally ran out of counters for them. I am not suggesting to let me use my character multiple times, i am just suggesting they limit the amound of same characters you face.