Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

I got a new high score in the Arena today....

Spoiler

o97Bunj.jpg

First time hitting 5k! It was accomplished with the team shown. I pulled another Roy, so I finally was able to toss TA on Sophia. I decided I'd finally fully deck her out. She only needs 2 more merges, and a Raourraven+ tome, and she's all set!

Right now, as for ranking, it's 2,944/4,675 to stay--will it be enough? We'll see! The VG will probably inflate the scores, since people have a reason to do 10 rounds every couple of days.

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Javi Blizz said:

@Prince Endriu @MrSmokestack, thanks!

I need merges for my Flier Emblem (choose Palla/Subaki/Michalis over for example Elincia, Hinoka or Minerva because it’s easier to merge them, as 2 of them are 3-4* available and the other is a GHB), so while I don’t merge them I’ve had to move to Armor Emblem.

Another question, which skills would you recommend me for those bonus units 4*+10? I now I want to make Cecilia and Sophia Raven TA, but I don’t know what to make with the others (other than WoM 3 for Olivia). Which skills (maybe 240 SP skills which are easy to get) could I put on A, B and C? WoM 3 on everyone? xd

If you do ta3raven you could consider bowbreaker. If you for max sp wom and drive res or something. Even though I would start with skills that are easy to handle and give you an edge during battle.if you are serious about 4* merges I would consider giving them 5* weapons. Personally I dont like the solution of 4* merges but its temporarily the best thing you can do if you want to max out rewards asap.

11 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

Stahl purely for horse movement and bulk, though pulling for a bonus unit or just using Anna might be better. Neither of these units are very good.

@Javi Blizz

Stahl isn't all that bad, actually. He's just overshadowed by Eldigan and Xander, who have similar stat lines as he does, but have legendary weapons.

Budget Stahl can run (Ruby Sword+, Moonbow, Fury 3, Axebreaker 3/G Tomebreaker 3) as a dedicated green killer, but you can also run Life and Death 3 and Swordbreaker 3, and he'll have decent performance against swords, too.

Since his stats are pretty much the same as Eldigan's (Stahl [+Def, -Res] is pretty much identical to neutral Eldigan, but with 2 more Spd), he can also run Killing Edge+ or Slaying Edge+ to mimic Eldigan's builds. Wo Dao+ is also an option for the standard Wo Dao + Moonbow build.

Oof, I forgot this was the boat/rubble map week. I can't get a deathless streak right now but hopefully I'll be able to get one after the VG ends, if not I'll have to pray that 4869 will be enough to go back to tier 20 (which I seriously doubt).

Got a defense win with the team of Matthew/Inigo/Ayra/Genny.

Feels really, really good seeing that win on my board. I likely won't be getting into tier 20 this week, but that's fine. If I want to switch stuff around I'll figure something out.

Thanks @Prince Endriu and @Ice Dragon. I have the same feeling about doing 4* merges, but as none of these units will be in my main Arena Core (or at least I think so) making them 5* and merge them seems a bit expensive for me (since I prefer to merge 5* Palla over a 5* Stahl, or 5*Michalis over a 5*Cecilia). In the worst scenario, with 22K feathers I could have any 4*+10 if I've enough copies (the other day a friend did a 4*+10 Gunter for his Horse Emblem relatively easy)

And yes, I'm giving them 5* weapons, not only for better performance, but for scoring too. When I finish my current project (only missing to give Killer Axe+ to Beruka, since improving it doens't require feather) I think I'm going to start with Stahl, since he's the one that doens't have any merge yet. Actually, Cecilia is +4, Sophia is +1, Olivia is +1 (but I've like 3 3*in my barracks), Hana is +1 and Subaki is 5* 

I like that budget Stahl. Although LnD3 sounds pretty interesting, I prefer to give it to, for example Soleil, so I think I'll go for Fury. Seeing how many reds I think, maybe it's time to pull from the new banner hahaha.

One last thing, any suggestion for getting Defense Wins? I almost never get even one, and last week when I took out the bonus unit got 2, but with low results (maybe 200 points?) 

8 minutes ago, Javi Blizz said:

One last thing, any suggestion for getting Defense Wins? I almost never get even one, and last week when I took out the bonus unit got 2, but with low results (maybe 200 points?) 

If you get a defense win worth a very low value, it's likely from Arena Assault. As best as we've been able to figure out, wins from Arena Assault do not get their scores doubled (because there are no bonus units there).

Defense wins are typically gotten by catching an opponent off-guard or sniping for specific team compositions.

• Stacking a single color can help overwhelm opponents who only have one shaky counter to that color. I personally run a team of 3 green and 1 colorless (or 2 green and 2 colorless) most weeks.
  • Stacking refined cavalry-effective weapons (specifically refined Keen Litrwolf+) on cavalry units can put common cavalry teams in a really tough spot.
  • Teleportation skills like Wings of Mercy, Guidance, and Flier Formation are great for catching unaware players off guard or at least making it harder to predict how your units will move.
  • Drag Back and Lunge (especially on Firesweep users) can break your opponent's formation and prevent them from receiving buffs or force a unit into range of your other units.
  • Positioning Assist skills are much better than Rally skills at keeping your units together since Rally skills are prioritized before a unit moves, whereas positioning skills are prioritized after a unit moves.
  • Bow users on defense teams really like Cancel Affinity. Firesweep Bow is also the most annoying bow to deal with.
  • Using a mix of melee and ranged units with the same movement range, especially of different colors, is annoying for enemy-phase teams to deal with because it's easy for your units to overlap each other's ranges.
  • If you are using a dancer, try using your defense team on regular maps with auto-battle to see what order your units move. Adjust your unit order to make sure your dancer doesn't move first.
  • Don't be afraid to be a dick.

Here's my current team as an example:

• Minerva (Hauteclere, Reposition, Bonfire, Fury 3, Drag Back, Hone Fliers, Quickened Pulse)
  • Spring Camilla (Gronnblade+, Reposition, Draconic Aura, Fury 3, G Tomebreaker 3, Hone Fliers, Iote's Shield)
  • New Years Azura (Hagoita+, Sing, Wings of Mercy 3, Hone Fliers, Guidance 3)
  • Bride Cordelia (Firesweep Bow+, Reposition, Luna, Life and Death 3, Cancel Affinity 3, Breath of Life 3, Breath of Life 1)

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

If you get a defense win worth a very low value, it's likely from Arena Assault. As best as we've been able to figure out, wins from Arena Assault do not get their scores doubled (because there are no bonus units there).

Well, if the low value (200s) came after removing the bonus unit, then it could be from either.  Bonus units count towards defense point too.

Really struggling with the arena this time round. Never liked the maps anyway, but didn't have many issues getting a deathless run even on them before this go round.

I keep making stupid mistakes and/or letting myself be backed into a corner. Urgh.

I'm hoping 4680 is enough to get me to Tier 19 but I'm not hopeful. Gonna keep trying to run through until I get a deathless.

Edited by Cute Chao

Seems I'm nowhere close to survive the threats of the 710-716 range in the boat map. I changed Sophia for Airzura to lower my score and got a deathless run of 4919 which is pretty meh but that should be enough to go back into tier 20.

Apparently not being water season has moved me back into horse hell for arena assault. Nice nice. I might as well bite the bullet and invest in a merged Nowi to get my score higher. 

Had to seriously fish for the first time in months and even then could only still muster 4874, an understandable drop since it was just a straight swap from Winter Chrom to Airzura. If it's not enough to get back up to 20 I'll just accept my fate.

Apparently Lucius was all I needed for a defense win. I switched my horse team for Lucius, Merric, Alfonse, and Reinhardt. Somehow I doubt it was just the presence of Reinhardt since he’s on my horse team. I even switched my team up again after 3 DEF wins and got another win with Lucius, Joshua, Lukas, and Merric. Candlelight+ Dazzling Wrath Lucius rocks!!!

This screenshot sums up my tries to get a deathless 7 streak in AA this week: 

Spoiler

ga2guq9.png

Of course it was the seventh match (and I missed a VG multiplier while doing it). Perhaps this will be the first week ever without a deathless 7 for me. 

/Edit: I did it! New personal AA highscore 4988. 

It took me 4 other tries. Don't know if it was worth all that wasted time though, since my 1-death run from Wednesday was worth already 4919. 

Edited by mampfoid

OKay... Gunnthra's B-Skill is cheated. A debuff on one unit on the map like that, and that killed my Katarina who was on a FORTRESS case when she attacked her... That's completely stupid ! And of course, in this team, there were a B!Lyn with Firesweep Bow and Cancel Affinity. Days after days, I hate Horse Emblem even more.

Edited by Ledrert

Got a last minute defence win :D

And also finally managed a deathless run. Not sure it's enough to get me up to Tier 19 this week. I really need to start looking into merging my units for more bst v.v

...Or not using Reinhardt... but... but... he's my Reinhardt :(

Previous arena weeks have usually given me 1-2 arena defence wins... but this week I've gotten 15 (which is a new record for me).

I haven't changed anything in terms of team composition or skills.

Anyone have any theories regarding a spike in defense wins this week?

11 minutes ago, Stylish said:

Previous arena weeks have usually given me 1-2 arena defence wins... but this week I've gotten 15 (which is a new record for me).

I dunno, but I'm the opposite.  I used to get over 10 a week easily, now, I struggle to get 1.

16 minutes ago, Stylish said:

Voting Gauntlet usually causes a big spike for me.

Score report time:

• Tier 20 score of 5052 (Nowi +10 with DD3 Seal; Nino +9 with Aether and Atk Ploy 3 Seal; Adult Tiki +6 with Hone Spd 3 Seal; Alfonse 5 with Panic Ploy 3 Seal) - #1993 (/5228 to stay)
  • Arena Assault score of 5066 (Nowi +10 with DD3 Seal; Nino +9 with Aether and Atk Ploy 3 Seal; Adult Tiki +6 with Hone Spd 3 Seal; Fjorm +1 with Panic Ploy 3 Seal) - #1779

I now have 10 Draugs from hoarding them throughout the last few months' pulls. Guess that means it's time to start building him as a point slave. Don't quite have enough feathers to do it all at once, though, so I'll have to go a bit more gradually. Which means I might sit on him a little longer to accumulate more feathers. While I could make him a 5*+8 right this instant, I want to hold 40k in case the next few banner(s) produce more Nino or Tiki copies. Granted, I guess +6 is still a definite improvement, given that +3 is approximately where he'd start matching Fjorm +1's point value.

3 minutes ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

Voting Gauntlet usually causes a big spike for me.

Score report time:

• Tier 20 score of 5052 (Nowi +10 with DD3 Seal; Nino +9 with Aether and Atk Ploy 3 Seal; Adult Tiki +6 with Hone Spd 3 Seal; Alfonse 5 with Panic Ploy 3 Seal) - #1993 (/5228 to stay)
  • Arena Assault score of 5066 (Nowi +10 with DD3 Seal; Nino +9 with Aether and Atk Ploy 3 Seal; Adult Tiki +6 with Hone Spd 3 Seal; Fjorm +1 with Panic Ploy 3 Seal) - #1779

I now have 10 Draugs from hoarding them throughout the last few months' pulls. Guess that means it's time to start building him as a point slave. Don't quite have enough feathers to do it all at once, though, so I'll have to go a bit more gradually. Which means I might sit on him a little longer to accumulate more feathers. While I could make him a 5*+8 right this instant, I want to hold 40k in case the next few banner(s) produce more Nino or Tiki copies. Granted, I guess +6 is still a definite improvement, given that +3 is approximately where he'd start matching Fjorm +1's point value.

I'm interested to know your theory correlating arena defence wins with voting gauntlet!

Two defense wins. Odd that they showed up after the Voting Gauntlet had concluded. And one of them was a +6 Olwen. Must have been a pretty rough map if my Alfonse-lead defense team ruined that run. 

5 minutes ago, Stylish said:

I'm interested to know your theory correlating arena defence wins with voting gauntlet!

Oh that's easy. Voting gauntlet quests ask you to accumulate 10 wins every round, for a total of 30. In general, it should be the week with the most arena activity out of every month, so a lot of arena losses can occur as people try to collect those flags.

9 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Two defense wins. Odd that they showed up after the Voting Gauntlet had concluded. And one of them was a +6 Olwen. Must have been a pretty rough map if my Alfonse-lead defense team ruined that run. 

Oh that's easy. Voting gauntlet quests ask you to accumulate 10 wins every round, for a total of 30. In general, it should be the week with the most arena activity out of every month, so a lot of arena losses can occur as people try to collect those flags.

Thank you for sharing your insight. Funny though that my last 6 defense wins have been on the last 6 hours before arena closes ?