Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Infinite Dreams said:

Huh, somehow my all infantry/all melee/no dancer team has gotten me 10+ defense wins.  

I wish I had your luck.  My Defense team got me 8 wins last week, but this week.  I have zero.

6 hours ago, Rezzy said:

I wish I had your luck.  My Defense team got me 8 wins last week, but this week.  I have zero.

Aww, the weird thing is that for the past month or so, I hadn't been getting very many defense wins.  This week, boom!  :blink:

Fingers crossed for you!

I've struck out on defense wins too this week, despite four last week with pretty much the same team. Switching to evil horses for the last day or so to see if that can salvage it.

Part of it might be because since TT is running, I'm switching seals in and out all the time, and I worry that it might cost me wins if a potential victim comes by while the good seals are busy being used for grinding. Oh well, if it doesn't work, at least there's been a relative avalanche of feathers lately and I'm going to get well clear of 60k regardless of arena results this week. I don't normally hold that many but I'm seeing if the refinery additions would make Chrom, Raven and Felicia better candidates for promotion than Tailtiu and Lyon (and someone else).

Alfonse, Micaiah+1, Ninian, and Myrrh as my defence team have already given me four defence wins this week. Respect the Fólkvangr!

…It’s probably Micaiah wrecking a horse or Myrrh just surprising people, I don’t know. My Ninian doesn’t even run WoM.

Luckily my team gave me 3 defense wins. I got a 4th one, but that one was because I left a weaponless Valter to help those who weren't able to clear his quests. I'm grateful that someone chose to surrender even when that battle was a free win.

Only got 2 defense wins this time and both are from Arena Assault so only 500 feathers. Had I built my Marth and replaced Anna I probably would have been able to secure a 500+ win. But no reds on my defense team and nothing but Myrrhs running around was probably a key factor.

Only one defense win but that's all that's necessary.

Once this season ends I'll be returning to tier 20 for the first time in months. Finally caught up with the scorecreep (4,920 score)

Edited by Korath88

Holy whoa, somehow my main account is rank 8,488 in Tier 19 with a score of 4,904!

Whether it lasts and I make it into Tier 20 or not, that's a high score these days for me. I won't be too disappointed if I get bumped out (cut off is 12,577) but that's still a personal best since it's been months since I was even in that threshold of almost going to Tier 20 again because of the powercreep.

Guess I'll just have to find out later.

I almost played myself by underestimating an intermediate level AA fight. I was actually motoring along nicely on advanced, winning the first five battles hassle-free. But being on track for 4900-4910 points (which is very unlikely to get into top 10k these days) I dropped back down to intermediate just to try to guarantee I wouldn't fail, knowing that it shouldn't change my rank tier. Instead I blundered into a heavy trench map with my horse emblem B-team and only survived thanks to spamming the special items (which I normally never remember to use).

So yeah, that was a trip. Five advanced maps at 700-702 each was probably overkill but after last week's close shave, I figured I'd get the extra buffer. Probably didn't need to, 4870 points is currently above rank 12000. Last week was just an unusually low score due to me sending a poor-scoring lead-out team. At any rate, maybe I could have been squeaked into the top 10k with 4914 points but I doubt it, and the last thing I wanted to do was to have to redo the entire run, quite content to take my top 20k reward every week with no retries.

Well, it seems that after too many weeks without any defense wins I've found the correct units for that, since I've 4 wins this week. I feel silly for not having considered to put my main Arena core (BK/Hector/C!Robin) together in the defense team before -.-

Also, I think that finally I'll be able to make a new highscore next week. Actually, it was around 4910 a few weeks ago (water blessing season) with BK/Hector/C!Robin/Fjorm. The new Arena core I'm going to use gives me a few more points (M!Marth+1/B!Ike+3/Fjorm), so at least, I can repeat that score without using blessings. So it seems that my next 60K feathers will go to M!Marth if the team works. Also, would you give a Water Blessing to M!Marth or B!Ike? I've 1 more (the one from the TT), but I'm not sure if it would be useful, since B!Ike is too slow (even -Spe) and M!Marth would appreciate the +Spe and the +HP in her medic role, but she's the one that I'm not sure if I'll maintain in the team

This season has been really good overall. I ended up running Raven, Merric, Tana, and Adult Tiki and got myself a new high score of 5012 (which is currently rank 437). Nothing really changed this week except Raven did get a new merge, so his base is now +SPD -RES. Having 55 ATK and 48 SPD is...pretty sweet if I do say so myself. I'm contemplating whether I should just use all my feathers and give him 3 more merges for next Arena season. A +8 Raven, +8 Merric, +2 Tana and +2 Tiki...or maybe Legendary Ike may be enough to let me stay in Tier 20. MAYBE. Still hoping Raven's axe refine is amazing. I'm gonna give it to him, but right now, he's rocking that Slaying Axe. I've also currently got 9 defense wins with Lucius, Raven, Lyon, and Merric on my defense team.

For AA, I managed another slightly higher score of 5026. Took some patience but I did it. That puts me at rank 3285 at the moment and should hopefully keep me in the top 5k. I need as many feathers as I can get my hands on! 

Still plenty of time left in the season, but I'm content with this week's achievements. 

1 hour ago, silveraura25 said:

Any interesting unit builds you've encountered in Arena?

All-four-star-+10 team of don’t remember who else with Virion and Olivia. Virion had a brave bow+, Watersweep, and Phantom Spd. Of course I forgot to check his skills, and of course baited him with my DC Iote’s Myrrh. Of course he charged up Luna on her, got danced, and took out my Alfonse. I was extremely mad at myself.

20 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

All-four-star-+10 team of don’t remember who else with Virion and Olivia. Virion had a brave bow+, Watersweep, and Phantom Spd. Of course I forgot to check his skills, and of course baited him with my DC Iote’s Myrrh. Of course he charged up Luna on her, got danced, and took out my Alfonse. I was extremely mad at myself.

I have a Soren so I might invest in a Watersweep build.

23 hours ago, Kaoxt said:

Do you want to have bonus units in your defense team as well? I am stuck in the same range for defense wins at around 315 even though I always have 10+ wins. Wondering what I can do different to raise score.

Yes, having a bonus unit on defense gives you the x2 multiplier for your defense points.

Has anyone got a fun, stress-free way to play through Arena and score well? Because I simply cannot play that mode anymore without getting worked up when I make an error that costs me everything. It almost isn’t fun to face overpowered teams all the time that have the same old units. And it certainly isn’t fun when I can’t do well with my favourites! I don’t know where else to rant about this or how overboard I can go with it, so I’ll just leave this here and see what happens. But Arena really does grind my gears these days.

3 minutes ago, sdgj1994 said:

Has anyone got a fun, stress-free way to play through Arena and score well? Because I simply cannot play that mode anymore without getting worked up when I make an error that costs me everything. It almost isn’t fun to face overpowered teams all the time that have the same old units. And it certainly isn’t fun when I can’t do well with my favourites! I don’t know where else to rant about this or how overboard I can go with it, so I’ll just leave this here and see what happens. But Arena really does grind my gears these days.

Define "score well". A fairly generic horse team can bounce between tiers 18 and 19 easily enough and that's all you need to claim the maximum four orbs. I might choose to drop down to doing that if current trends continue. We're getting more copies of Xander soon so that might help add some oomph (and points). My current team is just unmerged Camus and Bowlyn buffing a 4*+10 Cecilia and that scores 4860ish, not enough for T20 but plenty for anything below and is very easy to play.

Aside, it's kind of amazing how empty lower tier arena is. I did a run with my second account, no bonus units, scoring a ridiculously low 2300 points. It's still enough to get promoted.