Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

@Hilda

Considering most players seem to find Arena Assault to be too difficult, increasing the diversity of enemy units just makes it worse. Being prepared for literally everything is far harder to do than being prepared for the same threats 7 times in a row.

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh, turned into a beggar for a defense win. For some reason my core team doesn't succeed this time with the bonus units (Getting 0 or 500 feathers makes no difference to me, I consider it bad if I don't get 900, so I'll just beg for it XD ), but why should I be surprised? For a long time, I haven't lost a single match in Arena whenever I use my good units (HM grind teams do lose occasionally as they aren''t optimized), why should people lose to my team up high in the rankings, where they mostly use great units that, in player's hand, just crush anything the dumb AI throws at us?

In the meantime I probably have to rethink about possible def teams for next week so it doesn't repeat itself. Horse Emblem lost a lot of its prowess (and trenches will be back next week), Kagero is useless, Anna is really underwhelming. Not sure how I can make it "unfair" to get some wins.... hmm.

xExGUko.png?1

I just did the most terrifying deathless streak with the team above, can't believe it worked, I thought all the dragons and DC would eat them alive. I think the ploys and debuffs really worked in my favour.

Units: 

• Niles 4*+10 (+atk/-hp) : Slaying bow (+res) l Reposition l Glacies l Fury l QR2 l Def Ploy l Distant Def Seal 
  • Gunnthra 5*+2 (+spd/-hp): Blizzard l Draw Back l Glimmer l Fury l Chill Seal l Hone Cav l Atk +3
  • Arvis: Valflame l Ardent Sacrifice l Glacies l Fury 3 l Recover Ring l Def Ploy l QR 3
  • Jeorge 5*+8 (+spd/-hp) l Parthia (prf) l Reposition l Dragon Gaze l  LnD 3 l Vantage l Atk Smoke l SA E (+atk 3) 

Struggling to get a defence win this week. I miss my pure armour teams v.v 

I've tried Horse Emblem, Horse Emblem + Dancer, Armour Emblem + Arvis, Armour Emblem + M!Morgan, but I'm not going to have any luck this week, it appears -.- 

On 3/16/2018 at 8:07 PM, Ice Dragon said:

@Hilda

Considering most players seem to find Arena Assault to be too difficult, increasing the diversity of enemy units just makes it worse. Being prepared for literally everything is far harder to do than being prepared for the same threats 7 times in a row.

I am not sure I would consider AA  super difficult. It just isn't any fun for me so I don't do it often. But that lack of doing it often might be why I don't find it difficult. I just don't care much since the mode feels like such a slogfest. I mostly just throw a token effort at it. Part of the slogfest is not being able to change your units up once you are in. Every now and then I realize I forgot to, say, switch Summer Robin out of trainer mode and she isn't actually outfitted for battle. That is until I see something that I would really like her to counter for me. Whoops. Can't switch her to combat mode. AA is just a big middle finger to me everytime I do it. A bunch of my units end up set up for random builds and I don't really feel like going through all 100+ of them to make sure they have their optimal build before starting the AA run. Would rather just be able to change their set as I find I need them. That would make countering teams you run into easier though and maybe they don't want that.

Arena is being a royal pain this week. I just can't go deathless. I decided to finish this set out and see if a run that isn't deathless will prove to be enough. Since I dropped out of 19 last week I just need enough to get back into 19. That maybe won't require a deathless. As for my deaths? Today was Legendary Ephraim eating it. A team of a bunch of reds and an archer. He hits and Gales against the first red. Next I throw him at Masked Marth. Ephraim has more attack. I expect Gale to activate and let me flee. Apparently I missed an invisible buff somewhere. A drive or a spur I overlooked. Guh. That left him in range of a Klein. And frankly that is someone I don't want to leave him in range of even with full hp. The others tend to be from the fact that my team is just not fully optimized for play. Honestly I have no idea how they are getting defense wins.

Edited by Usana

10 hours ago, Usana said:

Today was Legendary Ephraim eating it. A team of a bunch of reds and an archer. He hits and Gales against the first red. Next I throw him at Masked Marth. Ephraim has more attack. I expect Gale to activate and let me flee. Apparently I missed an invisible buff somewhere. A drive or a spur I overlooked. Guh. That left him in range of a Klein.

Galeforce procs only once per turn, perhaps that's what went wrong? 

17 hours ago, Usana said:

I am not sure I would consider AA  super difficult. It just isn't any fun for me so I don't do it often. But that lack of doing it often might be why I don't find it difficult. I just don't care much since the mode feels like such a slogfest. I mostly just throw a token effort at it. Part of the slogfest is not being able to change your units up once you are in. Every now and then I realize I forgot to, say, switch Summer Robin out of trainer mode and she isn't actually outfitted for battle. That is until I see something that I would really like her to counter for me. Whoops. Can't switch her to combat mode. AA is just a big middle finger to me everytime I do it. A bunch of my units end up set up for random builds and I don't really feel like going through all 100+ of them to make sure they have their optimal build before starting the AA run. Would rather just be able to change their set as I find I need them. That would make countering teams you run into easier though and maybe they don't want that.

Arena is being a royal pain this week. I just can't go deathless. I decided to finish this set out and see if a run that isn't deathless will prove to be enough. Since I dropped out of 19 last week I just need enough to get back into 19. That maybe won't require a deathless. As for my deaths? Today was Legendary Ephraim eating it. A team of a bunch of reds and an archer. He hits and Gales against the first red. Next I throw him at Masked Marth. Ephraim has more attack. I expect Gale to activate and let me flee. Apparently I missed an invisible buff somewhere. A drive or a spur I overlooked. Guh. That left him in range of a Klein. And frankly that is someone I don't want to leave him in range of even with full hp. The others tend to be from the fact that my team is just not fully optimized for play. Honestly I have no idea how they are getting defense wins.

galeforce procs once per turn. Do you have heavy blade seal as well with him?

Not sure if i even want to try for a 5054 this week if that isn't guarantee to stay in 20

Don't want to waste my crests to fish for that if that won't hold

New scoring system a shit

18 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Arena assault is unfun because it’s tedious, repetitive, stressful, and takes too much time to complete.

I'm been having a string of bad luck and didn't get a Deathless in Arena Assault this week, but I can't be bothered to try again.  Many days this week, I just did my 3 matches and then surrendered, since time has been limited.

My score for this week should be high enough to get into Tier 20, but I don't know if I'll be able to stay.  With any luck, there will be a Blue unit in the next banner, and I can get some more Rachels to merge.  I got 2 Defense wins this week, which is enough, but concerning for next week.

1 hour ago, Vaximillian said:

Arena assault is unfun because it’s tedious, repetitive, stressful, and takes too much time to complete.

That's for sure. Luckily it's been faster for me lately since I know I can't hit the top 5k anymore, so I'm not bothering to waste time rerolling higher value matches. It would sometimes take me like an hour tryharding for a higher score before, which was pretty annoying.

It's still tedious, but not as stressful. Especially since an ever growing barracks of units means it's not as difficult to have multiple counters to some things. I can almost enjoy using my "reserve" units for the mode now, like you're supposed to.

Funny, had a horse team, horse team with Gunnthra, horse team with Gunnthra and Xander with the QR3 seal and nothing.

....Then I throw together Hinoka with Matthew/Genny/Inigo and I get a defense win a day later.

Matthew has been doing a pretty good job of securing defense wins for me. Highest score ever at 590 too. Neato.

Yes, finally got a last minute defence win. Don't know if it was a pity one or not, but I don't care :D 

Team was Xander, Reinhardt, CYL!Lyn and Sigurd, so I did go with a pretty cheap team, but again, don't care. I just want the feathers <3

@Ozil He does have the Heavy blade seal. @mampfoid The special went from 5 to 2. Which means heavy blade didn't activate. As I said in the post I probably overlooked a drive or a spur somewhere since the stat boosts are invisible and don't show up. All it would take is for me to overlook or mistake a single seal or c icon.

Did a second run of AA for a new high score of 4924. Rank is around 7500 so I should be getting the next rank of rewards. It's drop week for regular arena so that score doesn't really matter as long as I score over 4k. Can't say I'm use to getting more than one defense win, if any, so I'm guessing my arena defense team is doing something right.

Sitting at 740 points, I found this marvel of a team by ディンゴ (Dingo):

• +10 Bartre [+Def, -Spd] (Slaying Hammer+ [Def], Rally Spd/Def, Galeforce, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte 3, Panic Ploy 3, Distant Def 3) [Earth]
    • 58/57/26/41/17
  • +10 Fir [+Spd, -Res] (Wo Dao+ [Spd], Rally Atk/Res, Aether, Distant Counter, Windsweep 3, Atk Smoke 3, Close Def 3)
    • 50/43/46/28/32
  • +10 Karel [+Spd, -Res] (Wo Dao+ [Spd], Rally Def/Res, Aether, Flashing Blade 3, Windsweep 3, Savage Blow 3, Poison Strike 3)
    • 56/48/45/29/21
  • +10 Eirika [+Atk, -HP] (Sieglinde [unique], Rally Def/Res, Aether, Distant Counter, Renewal 3, Spur Def/Res 2, Drive Def 2) [Water]
    • 46/50/39/30/32

I assume they're waiting for Karla.

6 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Sitting at 740 points, I found this marvel of a team by ディンゴ (Dingo):

• +10 Bartre [+Def, -Spd] (Slaying Hammer+ [Def], Rally Spd/Def, Galeforce, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte 3, Panic Ploy 3, Distant Def 3) [Earth]
    • 58/57/26/41/17
  • +10 Fir [+Spd, -Res] (Wo Dao+ [Spd], Rally Atk/Res, Aether, Distant Counter, Windsweep 3, Atk Smoke 3, Close Def 3)
    • 50/43/46/28/32
  • +10 Karel [+Spd, -Res] (Wo Dao+ [Spd], Rally Def/Res, Aether, Flashing Blade 3, Windsweep 3, Savage Blow 3, Poison Strike 3)
    • 56/48/45/29/21
  • +10 Eirika [+Atk, -HP] (Sieglinde [unique], Rally Def/Res, Aether, Distant Counter, Renewal 3, Spur Def/Res 2, Drive Def 2) [Water]
    • 46/50/39/30/32

I assume they're waiting for Karla.

I wonder if they built up a Dorcas as well in the meantime.

So I actually decided to try in Arena Assault, by using armours for the first team. Currently in the 

Also had a personal best of 4,882 on my main account's arena team, using Legendary Ephraim alongside my armour team. Currently cutting it close at 12,173, going into Tier 20 with a defense win of 590 (Thank you debuff king Arvis).

I hope I don't drop too much in the morning. I think if I merged my other L!Ephraim I can probably score a few more points. Maybe even give a Fire blessing to either +Def Halloween Henry or +Def Vector. Maybe I should switch my summoner support to Halloween Henry now- do those stats affect arena score?

Edited by mcsilas

16 minutes ago, Hilda said:

Summoner support doesnt count towards the BST total for points, i am kinda unsure. I dont think summoner support has any influence on Arena scoreing. (i might be wrong though)

I think I might do it anyway just to give my support more survivability. At the very least, extra stats is always nice :)

As of right now, my score of 5070 gets me a rank of 2945/5640 to stay in tier 20, so I think I'm pretty safe. I managed 5044 in AA which isn't bad. I'm rank 3381 and can hopefully stay in the top 5k. I remember when it was way easier to get a high score in AA. I find it funny that my normal Arena score is consistently higher than my AA score now. 

My Arena Team:

Spoiler
  • Raven [+10] (+SPD -RES) - Basilikos (Refined), Rally SPD/RES, Galeforce, Fury 3,  Desperation 3, Drive SPD 2, Heavy Blade 3
  • Lucina [+3] (+ATK -RES) - Falchion (Refined), Rally SPD/RES, Aether, Fury 3, Swordbreaker 3, Drive SPD 2, Drive DEF 2
  • Merric [+8] (+ATK -HP) - Dark Excalibur, Rally SPD RES, Aether, Fury 3, Bowbreaker 3, Drive SPD 2, Distant DEF 3
  • Legendary Ephraim (Neutral) - Flame Siegmund, Reposition, Sol, Steady Stance 2, Solar Brace, Fortify DEF 3, Quick Riposte 3

This is the first time I got a score above 4900 --> 4906. Somehow in the last couple weeks I always lost an unit in the 7th battle. Rank 9539/13343 to go up to tier 20.

Quick score check-in:

• Tier 20 score of 5086 - #2051 (/5736)
  • Arena Assault score of 5178 - #1165

Special mention to defenses this week. With F!Morgan in the mix, I had two wins as of Sat, which was, of course, enough, but maybe worrying for getting wins this upcoming week. Well, sometime between Sat and now, my list exploded, adding seven more wins. I don't even.