Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

Turned in 5080 in the arena with my shiny new +10s, S!Alfonse and S!Sharena. L!Ike +2 and F!Morgan +4 rounded it out. I knew going -HP instead of -Def would pay off. Earth season, scores were in the 720s.

I knew those breakers would work. S!Alfonse tearing through Wary Effies. S!Sharena tanking Ninos and then blowing them away. The scariest I saw was H!Jakob going Brave/Bold Fighter.

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I was reminded just how much I hate Nino and Dancers. The former because everyone and their donkey has her +10 and I have few ways to one round her without Nino surviving and annihilating  someone (plus that stupid, stupid voice). The latter because the mind games I’m forced into and paranoia of making a mistake is incredibly frustrating. Thanks to Heroes Nino is now one of my least favorite characters, I like Olivia and Azura a lot less than before (kinda a shame), and I despise Ninian. Sorry but the fact my almost streak was ruined today by getting trolled by a dancer was kinda the straw that broke the camel’s back. That stupid dancer made me settle for a wimpy 4016 instead of 4028. I usually don’t have much issue in the arena, but I sure did today.

I wish for AA that there’d be an item where you can kill one character on the spot. Nino? Bam. A dancer? Bam. Brave Lyn? Bam. An armor? Bam. Please IS, I beg you. Please allow us one smite item.

This Arena season hasn't been all that terrible for me. Actually, these past few have been pretty okay. I think maybe I've finally adjusted to being in this tier because used to I waste a lot of crests and spend the first few days raging. But for this set of bonus units at least I've gotten my deathless run either my first or second attempt. *knocks on wood* At the moment, a score of 5062 is good for rank 3803/5443. I think that should be good enough to stay since it's been just fine the past few weeks. I may need to push for a better score next week.

Running the same team except with more merges:
Raven +10 [+SPD -RES] - Basilikos (Special Refine), Rally SPD/RES, Galeforce, Fury 3, Desperation 3, Drive SPD 2, Heavy Blade 3 (Water Blessing)
Merric +10 [+ATK -HP] - Dark Excalibur, Rally SPD/RES, Aether, Fury 3, Bowbreaker 3, Drive SPD 2, Distant DEF 3 (Fire Blessing)
Lucina +3 [+ATK -RES] - Falchion (Special Refine), Rally SPD/RES, Fury 3, Swordbreaker 3, Drive SPD 2, Drive DEF 2
Legendary Ephraim [Neutral] - Flame Siegmund, Reposition, Sol, Sturdy Stance 2, Solar Brace, Fortify DEF 3, Quick Riposte 3

Got one DEF win with this team and switched out Ephraim for my newly built Lukas...which has gotten me 7 more. XD

Arena Assault was the biggest surprise. I usually use Raven, Merric, Lucina, and Fjorm, but since my Mae is so highly merged, I switched Fjorm out for her. Oh man. My score shot up big time. I probably could break 5100 if I could stop being lazy, but I'm content with 5096. It didn't take as long as I thought it would, but I was facing 730+ teams for the first time. Definitely feels good man. :3 I'm currently rank 1929. Let's see if I can stay in the top 3k... Maybe?

After bitching about the scoring system a few days ago, I just went in with a more familiar team archetype, which made things infinitely easier (team was L!Ike, Ephraim, F!Morgan and Airzura) Would have used Deirdre but she doesn't have an Earth blessing and I don't want to spend one just for one season.

Ended up with 4,908 which is basically toeing the line. I could scrape it back into 20 but I won't be surprised if I drop out of the threshold in the last few hours.

Edited by Korath88

I still can't believe I'm managing to crawl back into Tier 20 with Niles(4*+10) and Jeorge(5*+10) on the team as my two main scoring units. Good things are that I have no fear of magic, bad things are that this has put the fear of dragons and armours in me forever. 

12 hours ago, SilvertheShadow said:

Today I was reminded just how much I hate Nino and Dancers. The former because everyone and their donkey has her +10 and I have few ways to one round her without Nino surviving and annihilating  someone (plus that stupid, stupid voice). The latter because the mind games I’m forced into and paranoia of making a mistake is incredibly frustrating. Thanks to Heroes Nino is now one of my least favorite characters, I like Olivia and Azura a lot less than before (kinda a shame), and I despise Ninian. Sorry but the fact my almost streak was ruined today by getting trolled by a dancer was kinda the straw that broke the camel’s back. That stupid dancer made me settle for a wimpy 4016 instead of 4028. I usually don’t have much issue in the arena, but I sure did today.

I wish for AA that there’d be an item where you can kill one character on the spot. Nino? Bam. A dancer? Bam. Brave Lyn? Bam. An armor? Bam. Please IS, I beg you. Please allow us one smite item.

Distant Counter Ayra, with Slaying Edge and Regnal Astra equipped.  Nino attacks, she dies.

Interesting that Caeda went from a unit that nobody used, to one that is very commonplace, at least in Arena Assault.  

10 minutes ago, mcsilas said:

@Zeo @mampfoid

Huh. So I made an experimental team of Double Legendary Ephraims with Halloween Henry and Fire Blessing +Def Vector with Ignis.

I managed 2 early Defense wins with this team. 

@Ice Dragon Legendary Hero stat stacking is fun. I'm gonna miss this when I merge Ephraim.

I kind of want to see someone run double Gunnthra with two melee Res tanks to give dragon and magic teams a really hard time. Or triple Gunnthra with a Winter Lissa or a Berkut's Lance Hardin.

@mcsilas I actually tried your Lunge Strat with Xander/Rein/B!Lyn and got 1 defense win on the first day. It's all I needed so it's fine.

I actually haven't done an AA run this week. Going to have to clutch that out before the deadline tomorrow.

40 minutes ago, Zeo said:

@mcsilas I actually tried your Lunge Strat with Xander/Rein/B!Lyn and got 1 defense win on the first day. It's all I needed so it's fine.

I actually haven't done an AA run this week. Going to have to clutch that out before the deadline tomorrow.

Same. Still have to do my proper AA run...it's pretty tedious though my mind doesn't want to do it.

Congrats on the defense win! Also I guess people don't expert Xander to have Lunge since he's mostly enemy phase orientated. Enjoy that win!

New bonus heroes are here! (Although these were datamined before...)

Free week! Oh hell yeah! Now I can go with whatever 4th member I wish thanks to having Eirika as my bonus!

2 hours ago, mcsilas said:

@Zeo @mampfoid

Huh. So I made an experimental team of Double Legendary Ephraims with Halloween Henry and Fire Blessing +Def Vector with Ignis.

I managed 2 early Defense wins with this team. 

@Ice Dragon Legendary Hero stat stacking is fun. I'm gonna miss this when I merge Ephraim.

Sounds evil, congratulations! 

My defense team (BH!Roy, Cordelia, Cherche and F!Morgan) had some trouble to get a win. After switching out Morgan for good old Xander I got one in few hours (3 currently). 

Fjorm week, oh baby. I might get to stay in AA top 5k next season, then. (my arena core all with water blessings + Fjorm is the only time I have a shot)

15 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

Fjorm week, oh baby. I might get to stay in AA top 5k next season, then. (my arena core all with water blessings + Fjorm is the only time I have a shot)

Ooo. I have yet to use blessings like that. Better make up a water blessing team

You'd think a double long weekend would be a perfect time to catch up on FEH. But it's quite the opposite, whenever I'm at home, I basically have no motivation to play and have to force myself to do the daily stuff. I usually get this stuff done during work hours because, well, the alternative is work. But when the alternative is something else, I just can't get started.

Nevertheless, I dragged myself to an AA score of 4870, which should be good enough for the customary top 20k. Regular arena score was sorted early in the week and 4918 is currently 8210/12815 so that should be safe. No defenses this week sadly, despite keeping the same successful team as the last two weeks. Oh well, can't be bothered tinkering so hopefully someone gives me a freebie in these last 13 hours.

5 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Sounds evil, congratulations! 

My defense team (BH!Roy, Cordelia, Cherche and F!Morgan) had some trouble to get a win. After switching out Morgan for good old Xander I got one in few hours (3 currently). 

Do you find positioning (which unit is in which slot) a big factor in your defense wins?

Also, @Zeo I had a new high score in arena today!

tumblr_p6k4b6cl2q1qcrdmuo1_400.png

By 12 points but still an all-time high. I'm gonna miss having Legendary Ephraim as a bonus unit- he REALLY works well with my arena core. His high move allows him to bait the enemy well, splitting their forces up. He also has Close Defense for a great enemy phase with his vanilla A skill. Also Vector loves the HP and Def boost from the blessing.

Speaking of, this is my MVP unit:

tumblr_p6k4b6cl2q1qcrdmuo2_400.png

Look at those stats. I haven't finished summoner supporting him yet (it was Ike before), but I just added a +Def Spectral Tome on him. If I ever decide to give him the Fire blessing, then his Def would equal his Res stat if Ephraim is on the field! Take that Nowi!

But then Fjorm week is coming up, so I'm wondering if Henry was the +3 Spd instead. Still torn on the blessing but it's an option.

I also had another high score in AA, at 4820- I did suffer a death from a Wings of Mercy Reinhardt (Camus couldn't ORKO Xander) but this should be good enough. I don't have time to do another AA run anyway.

2 hours ago, mcsilas said:

Do you find positioning (which unit is in which slot) a big factor in your defense wins?

Also, @Zeo I had a new high score in arena today!

Hey, congratulations on your new highscore! 

I don't try out much in my defense teams, since my regular Arena offense team worked just fine for months now. I try to keep Cherche and Cordelia attached to each other, but that's about it. Of course I try to equip the best support skills according to the team composition and because of my one turn clears everybody could equip WoM. 

@LordFrigid I faced your flying team using my own flier team on Arena Assault and lost. HNY!Azura with Distant Counter Caeda is scary. I messed up my positioning so your Tana killed my Blárblade NS!Corrin after being Sung to, which then means that anyone else on my team who attempts to combat Caeda will die next since none of them could kill her in one hit. Since I do not want to have two or more deaths during my run, I just gave up.

@mcsilas I love how Henry counters both Rein and Lyn with his mixed bulk. Grats on your new record! I couldn't imagine trying to get scores like that without merges at this point. I just really don't enjoy using armors, even though they're such a presence now. 

My Arena score is 4916, which is pretty low for me honestly but it may be enough for me to squeeze into tier 20 I hope. AA run had a lot of failures (probably me trying to do it too late at night and not thinking enough.) but I finally settled with a 4940 score which probably isn't enough for me to get into the top 10k but I wasn't that invested in Arena this week so I have to be content with my scores.

I have Eirika, Fjorm, Delthea and Grima as Arena units. I'll be coasting for the next two weeks seems like. Will be nice cause these weeks before were kinda rough.