Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

14 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this part of the statement. Is this about the format of CYL or is this about how I'm analyzing the results?

More the format than anything. Like any contest where a huge rank list is trying to be determined by a tiny number of votes, this basically makes this list useful for maybe knowing someone's #1s and nothing more than that. At best, you get it tied up with a list of seven #1s for everyone, with rest of that massive pool falling into the rank of "Don't give a shit.", which skews things hard. Unfortunately, a proper ranking would require people to rank the entire list top to bottom, which would be long and terribly impractical. I don't blame IS for choosing something easier and more palatable to do, but it sure doesn't say much of anything in the end.

13 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

We originally got into this line of discussion from why Wallace and Oswin are unlikely to be added, and that's because it's unlikely that they will have that something else that makes them remarkable. The problem is not that Wallace and Oswin will be slow and bulky lances, it's that they will be slow and bulky lances with nothing else to set them apart.

Still don't see why not when they're throwing good stuff at lesser-known characters like Karla, Legault or Libra. Even something like being native Slaying Hammer/Spear+ users with a Fighter skill could be novel. Add in a few more attractive skills if paranoid.

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you guys know how much I have to score, on average, to stay in T20?

Had a run that I thought would be good enought to stay, but even with some days remaining it's still not enough by a considerable margin.
I was aiming at scoring 730+ in each fight, counting the bonus points. 

Maybe I need 740+ to stay.

13 hours ago, daisy jane said:

congrats!

i'm guaranteed to return to 18! the goal: tier 19!

I know you can do it! I only reached Tier 20 because of the +3 points to bonus units, and I reached Tier 21 this week, for the first time, without using a armored unit, just with merged infantry units.

On 10/13/2018 at 1:22 AM, Rinco said:

Do you guys know how much I have to score, on average, to stay in T20?

Had a run that I thought would be good enought to stay, but even with some days remaining it's still not enough by a considerable margin.
I was aiming at scoring 730+ in each fight, counting the bonus points. 

Maybe I need 740+ to stay.

Around 3690. This post has the thresholds over the past few weeks, you're looking for the T20 row which is the score for staying.

Getting back into tier 21 is going to be a very close call. I'm 200 ranks away from the threshold with 4 hours to go. 

In two weeks I'll have a good chance getting into tier 21 again because of L!Tiki, but afterwards ... I may be stuck with 5 crowns forever. 

Score report:

• T21 score of 3788 - #1116 (/1630)
  • AA score of 5254 - #1509

As a testament of how many people have water teams with merged Fjorms leading the way, this T21 score is 7 points lower than what I got last week, yet ranking marginally better. It feels really weird to be staying in outside of water weeks. Guaranteed to drop next week when I have to use Alfonse as a bonus over Fjorm, though.

AA score was completely expected. Without being able to take advantage of water season and Fjorm's blessing boosts, my base score just wasn't going to be cutting it for top 1000.

I think I'm satisfied enough with Fjorm's performance that, in a couple weeks when water season returns, I'm gonna throw a whole bunch of favouratism her way (what better time than this upcoming long streak of water seasons?). I don't know how much it'll help for the Arena weeks outside of her projected two bonus weeks, but in the very least, it'll be consistently useful in AA.

Yay! It seems that this will be my first season staying in T20! Currently ~500 ranks over the treeshold, which should be enough. Thanks to B!Ike +10, M!Marth +7, Roy +5 and Fjorm +1.

Next week will be a bit more difficult, having to replace Fjorm for L!Tiki, but I hope BST helps to compensate the merge.  Also, Earth Blessed Donnel +4 will probably replace Roy, since maybe the trainee BST + Blessing can outscore the merge (although Roy has DC and Donnel has SB)

Nothing of note this week. I had to snipe a bit to make up for Laegjarn's lower scoring since my minimum was somewhere around 744. But Laegjarn is finally +10, so there's that.

Tier 21

Score: 3,813 (752-758, 13 bonus kills)
Defense: 626 (×5)

+10 Laegjarn [+Spd, -Res] (Niu, Reposition, Bonfire, R Duel Flying 3, Chill Atk 3, Distant Guard 3, Close Def 3) [Earth]
+10 Legendary Tiki [+Atk, -Res] (Divine Mist, Swap, Aether, Fierce Breath, Bold Fighter 3, With Everyone!, Quick Riposte 3)
+10 Legendary Hector [+Atk, -Res] (Thunder Armads, Swap, Aether, Distant Counter, Vengeful Fighter 3, Ostia's Pulse, Def Tactic 3)
+10 Legendary Robin [+Spd, -Res] (Expiration, Reposition, Aether, Dragonskin, Quick Riposte 3, Hone Fliers, Res Tactic 3)

Arena Assault

Score: 5,295

Offense score of 3811 (T21) remains in T21, combining with a defense score of 592 for max rewards.

Fjorm picked up 19/20 KOs with the support of a 3-unit Earth team (Legendary Ike, Zelgius, regular Hector), though I had to have Zelgius take down a Myrrh who was being very uncooperative.

I’m not sure how to proceed next season. I picked up a copy of Myrrh (Spooky Monster), but I’m a little hesitant to run her as my bonus unit with all the Legendary Tikis running around. I suppose I could run my own Legendary Tiki, and hope that a 4-unit Earth team offsets her +0-ness and lack of a high-point assist and special. I guess it’s that, build up a Legion (I’m not too confident in Saias or no-refinement Lon’qu, performance-wise), try to pull Mia again, or just use Alfonse.

I might just use Alfonse, actually, though he does suffer the same Tiki issues...

Edited by LordFrigid

2 minutes ago, LordFrigid said:

I’m not sure how to proceed next season. I picked up a copy of Myrrh (Spooky Monster), but I’m a little hesitant to run her as my bonus unit with all the Legendary Tikis running around. I suppose I could run my own Legendary Tiki, and hope that a 4-unit Earth team offsets her +0-ness and lack of a high-point assist and special.

You could try out one run and see how you score, but I'm expecting it to be a rough week because all of the big-shots will be running both Myrrh and Tiki and should be able to get all 20 bonus kills without much trouble.

On 12/10/2018 at 10:25 AM, Diovani Bressan said:

I know you can do it! I only reached Tier 20 because of the +3 points to bonus units, and I reached Tier 21 this week, for the first time, without using a armored unit, just with merged infantry units.

thanks! i hope so. Johann was really nice and gave me a lot of Arena advice. :)  
my issue is, i don't arena all the time. i just use my 3 swords, and then hope i stick there. and sometimes i just forget. 

4 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

You could try out one run and see how you score, but I'm expecting it to be a rough week because all of the big-shots will be running both Myrrh and Tiki and should be able to get all 20 bonus kills without much trouble.

Hm, good point, I hadn't thought of that. I suppose I'll try a run with Tiki and see how it goes.

Well, I’ve got another highscore (3710, mi previous one was 3706 last week), running B!Ike +10, M!Marth +7, Donnel +4 (Earth) and L!Tiki +0. However, as people are saying, this week scores could be higher. Do you think that I have any chance to stay in T20 for a third week in a row?

Heh, it's kind of weird going from 744-750 (I technically had a ceiling of something like 758 during Fjorm water week, but very rarely rolled it) with mega-whaled armours to the "merely" whaled armours of the 730s. They're not minmaxed hard enough to be a significant threat to double Brazen Alfonse unless they're L!Tiki (and maybe H!Myrrh, but I haven't run into one of those yet). As predicted, zero chance of staying, though. Current run is barely within the borders to stay in T21 and I expect it to have fallen out before tomorrow is halfway done.

@Astellius That saddens me. I was 2 points below you at 3720. As it turns out I didn't get a crown this time. That power creep from Rallies is probably starting to set in now since 3715 was enough to get into T21 2 weeks ago. But what really gets me is that had I just gotten 2 or 3 more points I would have made it. Oh well. @mampfoid How'd you do?

@Zeo I barely did it with the same score as @Astellius: 3720.  Wow 3718 wasn't enough? Sorry to hear that. 

The inflation grows faster than expected, 5 weeks ago 3708 was enough and three weeks ago I entered with 3716. Don't know if earth season makes the difference. Next week I should be save with Tiki and 2 earth blessings, but afterwards I'll run into big trouble. 

/Edit: This week should be smooth for you, since Lon'qu is bonus unit. 

Edited by mampfoid

Give Wary Fighter to my Legendary Tiki was one of the best thing I did! I got pretty scared with a Lewyn with Flashing Blade and Death Blow 4 today.

My Tiki has 35 Spd, +4 from Arena Bonus, +3 from Rally Spd/Res, +5 from Marth's refined Falchion and Drive Spd, +3 from Soren's Drive Spd Seal, for a total of 50 Spd, so I can cancel foe's follow-up attacks and be able to double the enemy thanks to Quick Riposte Sacred Seal.

Also, in this arena season, the pĺayers have their teams ready for Tiki and Myrrh, because I got more than one enemy team with Micaiah, Deirdre and Legendary Tiki. I needed to defeat Deirdre with my Soren because there was no way Tiki would survive to her. Tiki survived to Micaiah with only 5 HP.

I got a score of 3.750, which is the higher score I ever got! But this was a pretty scare arena season for me...  Of course all teh battle would not be that hard if I could defeat the enemy team using any of my units, but Tiki needed to do all the job for the extra points.

My Team:

• Marth: Altean Prince (+10) - Falchion (Effect), Reciprocal Aid, Aether, Steady Breath, Wrath 3, Drive Spd 2, Drive Atk 2 Seal;
  • Soren: Shrewd Strategist (+8) - Wind's Brand (Effect), Rally Atk/Def, Aether, G Duel Infantry 3, Chill Res 3, Close Guard 3, Drive Spd 2 Seal;
  • Nowi: Eternal Youth (+6) - Lighting Breath+ (Res), Rally Spd/Def, Aether, Steady Breath, Quick Riposte 3, Drive Res 2, Drive Def 2 Seal;
  • Tiki: Legendary Dragon - Divine Mist, Pivot, Aether, Fierce Breath, Wary Fighter 3, With Everyone!, Quick Riposte 3 Seal.
Edited by Diovani Bressan

10 hours ago, Zeo said:

@Astellius That saddens me. I was 2 points below you at 3720. As it turns out I didn't get a crown this time. That power creep from Rallies is probably starting to set in now since 3715 was enough to get into T21 2 weeks ago. But what really gets me is that had I just gotten 2 or 3 more points I would have made it. Oh well. @mampfoid How'd you do?

Yeah, I figured that 3,720 marked the cutoff score, given how close it was in the final hours. Sorry to hear that you didn't make it! I could've made it in again 2 weeks ago, but I had assumed I didn't have enough. So it goes. There's definitely a large score creep on Fjorm weeks, as, last week, I had 3,722 but was a fair ways away from making it in.

8 hours ago, mampfoid said:

@Zeo I barely did it with the same score as @Astellius: 3720.  Wow 3718 wasn't enough? Sorry to hear that. 

The inflation grows faster than expected, 5 weeks ago 3708 was enough and three weeks ago I entered with 3716. Don't know if earth season makes the difference. Next week I should be save with Tiki and 2 earth blessings, but afterwards I'll run into big trouble. 

/Edit: This week should be smooth for you, since Lon'qu is bonus unit. 

I'm hoping that I'll be okay next week, since I managed to pull a Halloween Myrrh. She's got the BST for it, and it's very easy to feed her kills, especially on defensive tiles. She's just so tanky! I wish I had managed to pull a Legendary Tiki, but, alas, she refused to show up. Maybe I'll have better luck on her next rotation.

2 hours ago, Astellius said:

I'm hoping that I'll be okay next week, since I managed to pull a Halloween Myrrh. She's got the BST for it, and it's very easy to feed her kills, especially on defensive tiles. She's just so tanky! I wish I had managed to pull a Legendary Tiki, but, alas, she refused to show up. Maybe I'll have better luck on her next rotation.

Myrrh is an awesome unit, you'll have some fun with her. Her bad luck is that she shares a season with Tiki, who has got color advantage over her and an effective weapon against dragons. 

@mampfoid Lon'Qu is one of the bonus units in the rotation so that's pretty much perfect for me. Only thing is he's not the easiest bonus unit to use. His offense is unparalelled, but he's paper thin and it's hard to feed him kills, especially when only one unit has a repositioning skill. He's got the new Brazen ATK/RES seal and he can destroy even blues but more often than not he needs help from my Windsweep Poison Strike Matthew and Watersweep Savage Blow Nino (contemplating upgrading the Spur RES or Spur DEF seal now instead...). Lukas can only support by being a wall with dual Drive DEFs. I gave Lon'Qu Recp. Aid so he can have more sustain since Nino and Matthew basically never get hit unless they're walling for Lon.

Still with higher scores (he's a supermerge which bumps me into the 726 - 740 territory) comes nasty things like dancers with G-Duel infantry and supermerged mages with +Rallies hiding behind nonsensical armors. I've probably killed more blue armors than anything so far. I only have managed 3720 so far which likely won't be enough with everyone running around with L!Tiki. It's not as high as I can go though, I can do better. 

Heck, this is what I wanted, a chance to show what Lon'Qu can do. It's hard but I'm going to figure it out. Maybe I'll even record it. That's always fun.