Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

20 minutes ago, mcsilas said:

Congrats on top 3k for AA though!

Thanks, I'm not there though. Dropped 200 ranks in the last hours, 2,728th currently. Seems the content-void brings people back to AA. 

28 minutes ago, mcsilas said:

Also yeah, score inflation this week is pretty bad, maybe with the abundance of Surtrs + Fjorm and Water season.

No idea what it caused, perhaps it was really Surtr since in the other Water/Fjorm weeks I still promoted (it was close though). 

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surtr being a bonus unit makes Arena way too easy. He's easily the best counter to AI-controlled Surtrs, and I'm looking forward to him babysitting after this bonus rotation ends since his weapon is perfect for that.

Arena Assault, on the other hand, is pretty rough due to it being water-wind week, which is the combination where there are no armored Legendary Heroes and where water is my least used blessing.

5210 in Arena Assault, which is a new personal record high for me, I think. 5 out of the 7 teams fought in the run ran Surtr. Thankfully, he's rather easy to take down if counters are prepared for him, especially in the final fight where Surtr had Armor March "support" (which effectively screwed him over by making him open to being baited into a physical red without having to worry about Sinmara+Surtr's Menace).

Edited by Roflolxp54

• T21 score of 3816 - #421 (/1515)
  • AA score of 5280 - #306

Had to give Fjorm Aether to let her have enough sustain to survive the multi-Surtr-+10 teams without throwing away all the bonus kills. Not much else to say.

Two of the water seasons getting retconned to wind means RIP my chances of scoring well in either Arena for the next couple seasons.

Weekly scores:

T21 - 3808 - rank 711/1516

AA - 5271 - rank 635

Arena assault scores were rather low this week, so I ended up relaxing a bit. Was getting absolute minimum scores in my later matches almost every attempt, so I just gave up.

Kinda sucks that they changed the seasons. Wasted 3 water blessings to change my arena core from earth to water, just so I would have it a bit easier with Fjorm as my bonus. Guess it doesn’t matter though, since the score inflation from Fjorm is really only present during water weeks.

2 hours ago, Javi Blizz said:

Yay! First crown and first time in top 3K-5K in AA, here I go!

Yay for first crown!

I’ve fallen to T19 and there was nothing I could have done about that, especially with Surtr and it being a water week.
I still insist that “legendary” heroes and blessings were a negative impact on scoring considering that you have to cut your arena core down to whole two members to fit in an 8% and a bonus.

3 hours ago, Javi Blizz said:

Congratulations on your first crown and for making Top 5K in AA!

My 3-week stay in T21 comes to an end with Gwendolyn no longer being a bonus unit.  It didn't seem worth trying to stay in T21 with my Fjorm+2 and Slaying Spear+.  Hopefully next week won't be too difficult to get back to T21, even though it's not water season next week or the week after. 

I coasted this week - 5205 in AA, 3747 in Arena (2334/1517 to stay in T21), with 4 defense wins (max defense score of 636).

16 hours ago, Javi Blizz said:

Congrats! That first one is always so gratifying!

So here I was fishing around for high point matches rather than the 734 riff raff it wanted to give me. . . and I remember this isn't last week and I had given up on staying in 21. In other words no need to fish. Guess what the last 3 matches were? Straight 746's pretty much. It is like the game realized I suddenly didn't care what points my matches were since 734+ per match is generally easily enough to climb into 21. Anyways I can't see a situation in which 3764 doesn't get me back in unless inflation has gone REALLY out of control. That said that is still about 40 points less than the max this team should be able to score(3800). Low point matches cost ya so much.

That said I am seeing a LOT of red mages running around, specifically Lilina seems to be everywhere. Makes things tricky since she can't be safely baited(at least not without nuking his Wary Fighter and making it much harder to get bonus kills later in the match) and my Surtr apparently misses the one shot on a high merged Lilina.

I got a good score of 3.759 this season. My place in teh Tier 21 is guaranteed. Now I only need a Defensive Score, and I didn't do the AA this week.

It's funny that I had as a enemy team a Refined Catria in a team with only two flying units. No Brave Whitewing Lance of you Catria!

@Arcphoenix To be fair... I always forget to use my items. The items I always have in AA are: Elixir, Special Blade and Dancer's Veil.

Wow, new personal highscore in regular Arena with 3,744! 

This beats even my Tiki score of 3,742 (L!Tiki was bonus unit then and I had two earth blessings). Hrid did a great job again, got 100% kills. Cordelia had to weaken up Brave Hectors and Effies and one time Cherche(!) had to weaken up an Adrift Corrin. He is really hard to beat with a red unit and his Null Follow-Up cancels Gjöll. 

No Water season, so hopefully this will be enough again for Tier 21 after my failed attempt last week (3,734). 

/Edit: @Arcphoenix I've never used that item. I have Dancer's Veil, Infantry boots and Naga's tear selected, but always forget to use them. Btw: Didn't know until now they max out at 99. 

Edited by mampfoid

14 hours ago, Arcphoenix said:

Question: Does anyone actually use Panic Charms in Arena Assault? I find them so painfully niche that I can't remember a single time they've ever been helpful in my runs

Lightning charm is my most-used item by far with pressure charm as the second. I keep the elixir on standby as my third option in case I need that health right now.
Never used the panic charm, though.

3 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Also AA done for this week: 5,203. 

Nice! 5122 is my score, and it was the same last week. As long as it’s enough to stay within #10k, I’m absolutely fine with this.

2 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

Nice! 5122 is my score, and it was the same last week. As long as it’s enough to stay within #10k, I’m absolutely fine with this.

Very nice yourself! That's my score some months ago.

I've been in in top 5k more or less constantly. Last week I thought I could crack 3k, but other players improve too.

Last week's score of 3,730 wasn't nearly enough to cut it, given the amount of score inflation due to Fjorm being the bonus hero during water season. However, it was adequate to keep me in T20, so I've another opportunity to rise using Laegjarn as my bonus hero. I obtained a score of 3,733 this time, and it looks like this should be more than enough. I'm at 1,412, while the cutoff is 2,885, which means I'm still in the top 10% for the group. While I'm sure that this will go down some, the buffer is substantial enough that I think it should be adequate.

4 hours ago, Astellius said:

Last week's score of 3,730 wasn't nearly enough to cut it, given the amount of score inflation due to Fjorm being the bonus hero during water season. However, it was adequate to keep me in T20, so I've another opportunity to rise using Laegjarn as my bonus hero. I obtained a score of 3,733 this time, and it looks like this should be more than enough. I'm at 1,412, while the cutoff is 2,885, which means I'm still in the top 10% for the group. While I'm sure that this will go down some, the buffer is substantial enough that I think it should be adequate.

I think 3,733 also should hold.  Thank you for sharing!  I'm going to make my serious run tomorrow to get into T21 again; I should be able to get at least 3,735-3,740, maybe even 3,750.

Arena: Uh-oh, I'm probably going to be seeing T19 for the first time in a long time, 3701. Going to be burning crests.

Assault: It's nice to see my anti-Surtr units are doing their jobs. Safely top 3k this time. One match, I tried Roy and he couldn't scratch Surtr. I was chipping him with Ishtar and Bridal Lyn.

Really hate Surtr. Wasted over 100 crests trying to get max score battles and I’m still just barely falling out of Tier 21... Can’t wait for the whales to knock me out of the top ranks for aether raids next. At least I won’t have to worry much about arena next week and then Surtr will be gone from the bonus units. Hopefully forever...

Arena: I just got my serious run out of the way.  I went from 3,707 to 3,746, using 18 crests while picking only 738+ battles (740/742/740/738/738+9/9/9/12/9).  It's 911/3,062/15,313, so I'm safely going back to Tier 21.  Now I can relax until after Surtr is gone as a bonus unit.

AA: I got really lucky today.  I just turned in a personal high of 5,217.  That's going to be close for Top 3,000, but I think it'll fall out (currently rank 1,658).  Too many Surtrs and L!Lucinas for my taste....