Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

Take a look at this guide. It explains things better than I do (mostly due to going into more depth) and I've found it to more or less be accurate. I also just remembered one unlikely scenario that might have been purposefully manipulated by the defending player: if Azura didn't have a weapon equipped, she would have gone after Bride Cordelia.

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got off my lazy butt and did my arena run. I'm really, really bad at player-phase teams, but I managed deathless on my first try.

I am so glad people don't know how to make their dancers move last. That said, the last guy I fought did, in fact, know how, having removed Takumi's assist skill to ensure he gets danced on the first turn. Too bad that just meant Takumi was way in front of the rest of the team and easily got sniped.

The zipper map gave me some trouble due to mispredicting the first turn (and now that I think of it, I could have baited and killed Nino on the first turn with a much better move). I still managed to win, though, because Ninian managed to tank a hit from Fae without needing to stand on a fortification tile (40 damage). God bless Ninian's bulk. I really need to get another Selena to feed to Hinoka for Reposition.

Tier 20

Score: 5,048 (deathless, 718-724)
Defense: 598 (10+)

Offense team:

+10 Ninian [+Spd, -Res] (Lightning Breath+, Dance, Aether, Triangle Adept 3, Escape Route 3, Fortify Dragons, S HP +3)
+10 Hinoka [+Atk, -HP] (Brave Lance+, Blazing Wind, Life and Death 3, Hone Fliers)
+8 Minerva [+Spd, -Res] (Hauteclere, Reposition, Bonfire, Fury 3, Drag Back, Hone Fliers, S Quickened Pulse)
+6 Spring Camilla [+Spd, -Res] (Gronnblade+, Reposition, Draconic Aura, Fury 3, G Tomebreaker 3, Hone Fliers)

Now time to finish those arena quests with a team that's easier to use.

My offence team of Camus, Reinhardt, Lilina, and Soren+1 gave me a valuable defence win. I’m pleased:

8c6NlHP.png

I think I’m even set to get promoted to tier 19 the day after tomorrow:

ybjC0u5.png

The next week’s bonus heroes are the same as this week’s, right? It’s the week after that that they change.

27 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

The next week’s bonus heroes are the same as this week’s, right? It’s the week after that that they change.

Yeah, the bonus heroes should switch after the next season ends.

Suppose I'll post my current arena status while I'm here.

Tier: 19

Offense: 4,810

Defense: 578, 3 wins

Team (Offense)

Nino (+ATK, -RES): Gronnblade+, Draw Back, Draconic Aura, Fury 3, Desperation 3, Hone Atk 3, Speed +1

Eirika (+ATK, -RES): Sieglinde, Rally Defense, Moonbow, Speed +3, Drag Back, Hone Spd 3, Fortify Res 1

Camus: Gradivus, Swap, Luna, Fury 3, Lancebreaker 2, Goad Cavalry, Quickened Pulse

Klein, +1 (+ATK, -RES): Brave Bow+, Draw Back, Luna, Death Blow 3, Quick Riposte 3, Threaten Def 3, Attack +1

My defense team also uses Camus and Klein (Wings of Mercy 2 replaces Quick Riposte) in addition to my Vantage Ryoma and Ninian.

I got a defense win! It's my first in like...a month. XD I was starting to get discouraged and considered switching my defense team out to try something different, but I got a win for 576. I'll take it! It was Hector, Xander, Camus, and Reinhardt. 

I may spend the rest of this season experimenting with teams. I think for next season I'd like to try using Katarina if I decide to merge the two copies I got.

7 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

6 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

Yeah, the bonus heroes should switch after the next season ends.

Aren't they all 3 weeks long? Or was that just the last group of bonus units?

If it is changing that really sucks because I invested a lot into Camus. He's +1 with Fury 3, Vantage 3, a couple different C-slot skills for horse and non-horse teams and he has a bunch of other A and B-slot skills.

11 minutes ago, Hawk King said:

Aren't they all 3 weeks long? Or was that just the last group of bonus units?

Just the last group was 3 weeks long. They usually last for 2 weeks.

1 hour ago, Vaximillian said:

Just the last group was 3 weeks long. They usually last for 2 weeks.

Damn. I really like using Camus. Maybe I can get Legion ready for my bonus hero in the next cycle and just swap out Hector.

Got 4834, which is like 1ksomething/3ksomething for tier 19 -> tier 20. I think I'm secure. Not sure if I can actually stay in T20 next week since unless I take out Reinhardt my bst isn't going up higher, though I could try Minerva in his place and swap in a goad for her or something so she can just synergize with Hinoka. 

Def score is 560 since I used a 4* Anna in it.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Should be able to make it into tier 19 with my score of 4792, since I'm around 3k/9k with 2 days left to go.

Arena quests have gone fairly smoothly despite the map rotation. Apparently all I needed to do was add Camus and Michalis to my arena team to make these maps manageable. 

*Clash of two virtues plays in background*

Man I hate this rotation week, I've struggled a lot to do a deathless run but I finally did it with a score of 4826, but I think the best I can do is 4900, after all I've found that the teams I face are in the 686-700 range which is both awesome and terrifying with the whale teams I've faced as of late. 

I think I'll go to tier 20 but staying there doesn't seem plausible as I can barely keep up with my full SI no merge teams.

Still sitting at Rank 923 in Tier 18, looks like I'll be going back to Tier 19 next week.  Have an Offense Score of 4828 and Defense of 582, with 10+ D Wins.  I wish there was a way to see my D Wins, because I've been doing something right, since I always get 10+ D Wins per week.

17 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I am so glad people don't know how to make their dancers move last. That said, the last guy I fought did, in fact, know how, having removed Takumi's assist skill to ensure he gets danced on the first turn. Too bad that just meant Takumi was way in front of the rest of the team and easily got sniped.

The secret actually isn't removing assist skills, it's putting Rallies on a bunch of units. This A: Keeps the unit close even if he gets danced if the enemy is too far away, since he'll just double Rally. And B: Majorly fucks up AI prediction. Rally units can rally or attack, even if they're in attack range, and rally units can move before other units attack, meaning they can get danced before other units attack.

43 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

The secret actually isn't removing assist skills, it's putting Rallies on a bunch of units. This A: Keeps the unit close even if he gets danced if the enemy is too far away, since he'll just double Rally. And B: Majorly fucks up AI prediction. Rally units can rally or attack, even if they're in attack range, and rally units can move before other units attack, meaning they can get danced before other units attack.

It was pretty clear that what this player was going for was to have Takumi (standard Brave Bow build and the blatantly obvious striker on the team) run out first (on the maps with a straight path to the opponent, Takumi can reach the other side no problem) no matter what rather than waste his time Rallying for the less offensively effective units on the team.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

It was pretty clear that what this player was going for was to have Takumi (standard Brave Bow build and the blatantly obvious striker on the team) run out first (on the maps with a straight path to the opponent, Takumi can reach the other side no problem) no matter what rather than waste his time Rallying for the less offensively effective units on the team.

If a rally unit can kill, they'll prioritize killing over rallying, if they can severely damage, same, if they only chip damage and they die in return, they rally. It basically turns the AI from 'full retard' to 'reasonably competent.'

36 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

If a rally unit can kill, they'll prioritize killing over rallying, if they can severely damage, same, if they only chip damage and they die in return, they rally. It basically turns the AI from 'full retard' to 'reasonably competent.'

The point was to make sure Takumi runs all the way across the map even if nothing was in range to attack from his starting position. Giving him a Rally risks him wasting his turn casting it on another ally that thinks it has a better match-up, but can't actually reach the opponent and can only move into attack range.

7 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The point was to make sure Takumi runs all the way across the map even if nothing was in range to attack from his starting position. Giving him a Rally risks him wasting his turn casting it on another ally that thinks it has a better match-up, but can't actually reach the opponent and can only move into attack range.

Units take care not to be in attack range when they rally. (They don't bother with dancer + attack range, or positioning related skills, though---Edit: that is, on the enemy side. They don't calculate danger area after positioning skills. Although that's a heavy investment to kill a unit only slightly out of position, and you can suffer for it if his other units can actually do things.)

Running your only serious DPS forward is a good way to get him picked off and killed for free no matter what team it's facing. Offensive teams have tons of positioning skills, so they can kill him and gtfo. Defensive teams will just counter-kill Takumi. Edit: Actually, running any DPS forward by himself is a good way to turn a 4v4 into a 3v4.

Edited by DehNutCase

1 minute ago, DehNutCase said:

Units take care not to be in attack range when they rally.

Units will Rally another unit that will run into attack range without being able to attack. The player clearly did not want Takumi doing that.

3 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Running your only serious DPS forward is a good way to get him picked off and killed for free no matter what team it's facing. Offensive teams have tons of positioning skills, so they can kill him and gtfo. Defensive teams will just counter-kill Takumi.

The point of a defense team is to kill one unit each week, not to win every match they fight. All this team has to do is catch one unit out of position.

16 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The point of a defense team is to kill one unit each week, not to win every match they fight. All this team has to do is catch one unit out of position.

*Shrugg* I guess I never have that problem since it's so easy to predict how the AI will move if it's no-assist/dancer/assist/assist, just put a bait unit  slightly out of 2x move of the no-assist's range, while piling everyone else in range to either kill, or get the killing unit out of danger. Defensive teams have it even easier since they can just leave the bait unit inside Takumi's 2x move range and either counter-kill or force Takumi to a certain square to finish up and then gtfo.

Edit: Builds like this only give trouble if the map has breakable tiles (this is a huge advantage for defensive teams, due to counter-kill ability), otherwise it's literally a 3v4 every single time.

16 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Units will Rally another unit that will run into attack range without being able to attack. The player clearly did not want Takumi doing that.

And that's different from Takumi doing that,* how? Rally at least makes the movement slightly unpredictable rather than going in one by one to be murdered. Edit: Takumi can move so that he's in range to attack, but not in range to be attacked if he's facing melee infantry---Reinhardt does this even better since he out-ranges everything except ranged horses. Then the dancer can dance him to either ORKO, or just rally again because the only person in range is someone who's going to counter-kill his ass while taking chip damage.

*Edit: 'That' being: 'run into range to get killed without being in range to attack himself.'

Edited by DehNutCase

What does it take to get from tier 19 to tier 20 this season?

After being burned out on the Tempest Trials I took a break from Heroes for a bit. Didn't have any 5* or even 4* trained up bonus units this week so I just took a pass, I expected to fall to tier 18 anyway.

But I just summoned Reinhardt last night so that makes promoting Camus to 5* for Horse Emblem worthwhile now.

6 minutes ago, Xaos Steel Wing said:

What does it take to get from tier 19 to tier 20 this season?

After being burned out on the Tempest Trials I took a break from Heroes for a bit. Didn't have any 5* or even 4* trained up bonus units this week so I just took a pass, I expected to fall to tier 18 anyway.

But I just summoned Reinhardt last night so that makes promoting Camus to 5* for Horse Emblem worthwhile now.

Last i checked 4860's are super safe this week. I'd make a hard guess of 4850s but im not sure

8 minutes ago, JSND said:

Last i checked 4860's are super safe this week. I'd make a hard guess of 4850s but im not sure

My best score in the past was 4816 and my max with great enemy luck would probably be in the high 4820's.

I don't think that would be enough, so I'm wondering if it makes any sense to bother trying or just use a weaker team and just get the 4000 score for that reward.

Update for 5044 (T20):

6am PDT 6/22: 203

6am PDT 6/23: 241

6:45am PDT 6/24: 272

6:30am PDT 6/25: 297

6am PDT 6/26: 315

Cutoff is 890, so I think I'm safe (I was pretty sure by day 3, but you never know what might happen). Teams faced detailed in the previous post. Highest def score is still 586...got an abnormally large number of them this week (20+, I didn't keep very close track), I guess this map set really does mess with some people...I've never really noticed, tbh.

Also had a rather...interesting addition to Elise's quilt.

Spoiler

B850zG6.jpg

Somebody really likes them some Narcian.