Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

The team that served me well for Defense Wins for several months now struggles to get any.  I switched my Defense team to be Sigurd, Titania, Reinhardt, and CYLyn.  I got 5 wins, but it seems sad now.  I finally got around to upgrading some Seals, so maybe that will make a difference.

I should go back up to Tier 20 with my score of 4846 ranking 5264, about 5K below the cutoff.

For Arena Assault, I got a Deathless streak back on my first day for a score of 4860, which is rank 6238.  The competition there seems a bit more fierce since we found out what they actually do, but I don't think I'd be able to crack the 5K mark, so I'm happy with where I'm at there.

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Fruity Insanity said:

What's the point cut-off for staying in Tier 20 this season?

I don't know about this season, but last season I had a score of 4922. And that was just barely enough to stay. (Like I was about 30 spots away from dropping back into tier 19.) I didn't bother digging for a high score this season, but I feel right around there, give or take a few points, is pretty close to the cut-off.

54 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

I don't know about this season, but last season I had a score of 4922. And that was just barely enough to stay. (Like I was about 30 spots away from dropping back into tier 19.) I didn't bother digging for a high score this season, but I feel right around there, give or take a few points, is pretty close to the cut-off.

I don't think I'll ever be able to stay there, if that's the cutoff.  I bounce between 19 and 20 every week.

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I don't think I'll ever be able to stay there, if that's the cutoff.  I bounce between 19 and 20 every week.

I managed to do it once, and it took a crap-ton of crests because that part of the Arena is so cancerous. It feels nice getting max rewards, but it also doesn't feel worth the effort...There are some matches I genuinely enjoy...but those are the ones that use non-meta units. I'm not even upset if I lose to a team that uses a 5*+10 Wrys or Odin. That's some dedication right there. It's honestly way less stress just to drop down.

I've gotten to the point where after I do my two runs for the day, I use my third crest to give a team a defense win, but only if they don't use Brave Lyn, Reinhardt, a horse team, or dancers.

29 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

I managed to do it once, and it took a crap-ton of crests because that part of the Arena is so cancerous. It feels nice getting max rewards, but it also doesn't feel worth the effort...There are some matches I genuinely enjoy...but those are the ones that use non-meta units. I'm not even upset if I lose to a team that uses a 5*+10 Wrys or Odin. That's some dedication right there. It's honestly way less stress just to drop down.

I've gotten to the point where after I do my two runs for the day, I use my third crest to give a team a defense win, but only if they don't use Brave Lyn, Reinhardt, a horse team, or dancers.

Wow I really hope you find me and give me a free defense win xD

But then that means I have to drop the horses- and even then with horses I barely only get 1 defense win per week...

Not sure how people get 5 or 6. Then again I don't have enough heroes to merge my 5 stars so I don't know if that is a factor for defense wins

On a side note again of weird shit you see in the Arena, I found an Effie with Panic Ploy 3 equipped with the Panic Ploy 2 seal. I mean, I get that you want the points, but perhaps you could have distributed your seals just a bit better?

Anyways, I've been lazy this week because I'm still grinding the crap out of supports in Warriors and otherwise cleaning up my box by leveling and merging some of my 5-stars.

Tier 20

Score: 5,041 (2 deaths, 738–744)
Defense: 620 (10+ wins)

The two deaths were from one run where I forgot to re-equip Ninian's weapon after doing my Peri solo of Arvis's Grand Hero Battle.

Due to Tiki being a bonus hero this week, I got to use Ninian's Dragon Kindergarten for the first time in forever. Tiki is still using her Arena Assault build with Attack+ instead of Distant Def, but Drive Def has actually been rather helpful for keeping random armors, Panic Ploy, and Brave Lyn at bay.

+10 Tiki [+Spd, -HP] (Lightning Breath+, Rally Def/Res, Aether, Triangle Adept 3, Quick Riposte 3, Drive Def 2, Attack +1) Summoner S
+10 Ninian [+Spd, -Res] (Lightning Breath+, Dance, Aether, Triangle Adept 3, Wings of Mercy 3, Fortify Dragons, Squad Ace A 1)
+10 Nowi [+Atk, -Res] (Lightning Breath+, Reposition, Aether, Triangle Adept 3, Quick Riposte 3, Fortify Dragons, Distant Def 3)
+10 Fae [+Atk, -Def] (Lightning Breath+, Reposition, Aether, Triangle Adept 3, Quick Riposte 3, Fortify Dragons, Speed +1)

It also means I got to use a rather high-merged defense team as well, even if I didn't bother to optimize their skills.

+10 Tiki [+Spd, -HP] (Lightning Breath+, Rally Def/Res, Aether, Triangle Adept 3, Quick Riposte 3, Drive Def 2, Attack +1)
+10 Minerva [+Spd, -Res] (Hauteclere, Reposition, Bonfire, Fury 3, Drag Back, Hone Fliers, Quickened Pulse)
+6 Spring Camilla [+Spd, -Res] (Gronnraven+, Reposition, Draconic Aura, Triangle Adept 3, G Tomebreaker 3, Hone Fliers, Hardy Bearing 1)
+10 Brave Lyn [+Atk, -Def] (Mulagir, Reposition, Draconic Aura, Life and Death 3, Sacae's Blessing, Hone Cavalry)

The usual 5,208 for first place in Arena Assault. They should really expand the top reward tier to something like "everyone tied for first place plus the next 100 places". It really sucks for the people who have teams that can't quite guarantee that all opponents have the maximum score value. My team seems to be in the clear, though. Hopefully, it stays that way.

Arena Assault

Score: 5,208 (744–744)

+10 Tiki [+Spd, -HP] (Lightning Breath+, Rally Def/Res, Aether, Triangle Adept 3, Quick Riposte 3, Drive Def 2, Distant Def 3) Summoner S
+10 Gwendolyn [+Atk, -Spd] (Killer Lance+, Rally Def/Res, Aether, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte 3, Drive Def 2, Phantom Spd 1)
+10 Effie [+Atk, -Spd] (Heavy Spear+, Rally Def/Res, Aether, Distant Counter, Wary Fighter 3, Drive Def 2, Panic Ploy 3)
+10 Sheena [+Atk, -Spd] (Killer Axe+, Rally Def/Res, Aether, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte 3, Drive Def 2, Atk Ploy 3)

I can't wait to upgrade Phantom Spd for Ira. I'm hoping we get Close Def from the upcoming Tempest Trials, which would actually benefit Tiki.

Edited by Ice Dragon

20 minutes ago, mcsilas said:

Wow I really hope you find me and give me a free defense win xD

But then that means I have to drop the horses- and even then with horses I barely only get 1 defense win per week...

Not sure how people get 5 or 6. Then again I don't have enough heroes to merge my 5 stars so I don't know if that is a factor for defense wins

I'd definitely send you one if I could!! Admittedly, I'm a bit of a hypocrite since I use a horse team to get my defense win. I'll usually set, Cecilia, Reinhardt, and Brave Lyn as my team along with a bonus unit, wait a few hours, and get one win before switching to a gimmick team. This weak, I'm running Laslow, Inigo, Xander, and Spring!Xander. Laslow x Xander is a guilty pleasure pairing. It's kind of a cancer team since it has horses and a dancer, but it's not anywhere near as bad as a +10 Reinhardt team...

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Due to Tiki being a bonus hero this week, I got to use Ninian's Dragon Kindergarten for the first time in forever. Tiki is still using her Arena Assault build with Attack+ instead of Distant Def, but Drive Def has actually been rather helpful for keeping random armors, Panic Ploy, and Brave Lyn at bay.

+10 Tiki [+Spd, -HP] (Lightning Breath+, Rally Def/Res, Aether, Triangle Adept 3, Quick Riposte 3, Drive Def 2, Attack +1) Summoner S
+10 Ninian [+Spd, -Res] (Lightning Breath+, Dance, Aether, Triangle Adept 3, Wings of Mercy 3, Fortify Dragons, Squad Ace A 1)
+10 Nowi [+Atk, -Res] (Lightning Breath+, Reposition, Aether, Triangle Adept 3, Quick Riposte 3, Fortify Dragons, Distant Def 3)
+10 Fae [+Atk, -Def] (Lightning Breath+, Reposition, Aether, Triangle Adept 3, Quick Riposte 3, Fortify Dragons, Speed +1)

Since you are a fellow dragon fan, could I ask for your reasoning for keeping those natures on all of them (I have an active +Atk/-Res Nowi, +Atk/-Def Fae myself and a +Spd/-HP Ninian - probably never will get Y!Tiki, but still interested to know in case it does happen). As a whale, surely you had several options, but a specific reason to keep those particular versions. One of my grand goals is to consistently upgrade my dragons when opportunities arise, but I had some doubts on what boon/bane combinations would be best, now that I have started merging some of them, especially to kill off threats like buffed B!Lyn/B!Cordelia who aren't affected by the TA effect.

2 minutes ago, MonkeyCheez3K said:

Since you are a fellow dragon fan, could I ask for your reasoning for keeping those natures on all of them (I have an active +Atk/-Res Nowi, +Atk/-Def Fae myself and a +Spd/-HP Ninian - probably never will get Y!Tiki, but still interested to know in case it does happen). As a whale, surely you had several options, but a specific reason to keep those particular versions. One of my grand goals is to consistently upgrade my dragons when opportunities arise, but I had some doubts on what boon/bane combinations would be best, now that I have started merging some of them, especially to kill off threats like buffed B!Lyn/B!Cordelia who aren't affected by the TA effect.

Tiki was probably the hardest decision since I had the choice between [+Atk, -HP] and [+Spd, -HP]. Tiki happens to be the fastest of the young dragons and +Spd guarantees her a double attack against an unbuffed +Spd Hector even on player phase, which is nice to have at the top of the Arena. Her high defenses on both sides and the general strength of both physical and magic green units meant I wanted -HP since Triangle Adept prefers keeping the primary defensive stat as high as possible. +Atk would have been nice in a few situations, though.

Nowi uses +Atk to guarantee a one-hit kill against all Falchion users with their standard sets (though she needs +1 Atk on top of that to guarantee a kill on +10 Lucina [=HP, =Res] (Fury 3)), which prevents her from taking too much damage on enemy phase if she needs to bait. -Res is used because red mages simply aren't prevalent in the current meta, and Falchions are the primary threat. Nowi, with as many defensive buffs as I can give her is my first line of defense against Lyn and Cordelia. Fortify Dragons, one stack of Drive Def 2, and S Distant Def 3 gives +15/12 for a total of 49/49/39 defenses, though ideally, I'd be less lazy and also switch Fae to use Drive Def 2 for 49/52/39 defenses.

Fae uses +Atk for standard firepower. -Def is used because magic is the primary threat among blue units, with Reinhardt being in the lead, and because even the strongest of lances still have significant trouble getting through her Def when buffed. I don't think I've ever felt significantly threatened by any lance user.

Ninian uses +Spd as is standard for non-combatants to avoid being double attacked. -Res was chosen for the same reason as for Nowi to improve her chances of surviving Falchion users, though Lucina can still kill her in one round. In addition, the choice against -HP was made because my original build (and the build I should be using when I have all four members together in one team and am not lazy) uses Reciprocal Aid instead of Reposition, and the Squad Ace A 1 seal gave Ninian 49 HP to match Nowi's 49 HP and Fae's 50 HP (Tiki also has 49 HP when running HP +3).

On a side note, I've been wanting to run an Awakening Tiki [+Atk, -Spd] (Lightning Breath+, Aether, Steady Breath, Quick Riposte 3) as a general fuck you to axes and bows, but that is going to have to wait until after I finish merging Brave Ike (4 more copies to go).

And definitely after Diadora leaves the bonus hero list.

13 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Tiki was probably the hardest decision since I had the choice between [+Atk, -HP] and [+Spd, -HP]. Tiki happens to be the fastest of the young dragons and +Spd guarantees her a double attack against an unbuffed +Spd Hector even on player phase, which is nice to have at the top of the Arena. Her high defenses on both sides and the general strength of both physical and magic green units meant I wanted -HP since Triangle Adept prefers keeping the primary defensive stat as high as possible. +Atk would have been nice in a few situations, though.

Nowi uses +Atk to guarantee a one-hit kill against all Falchion users with their standard sets (though she needs +1 Atk on top of that to guarantee a kill on +10 Lucina [=HP, =Res] (Fury 3)), which prevents her from taking too much damage on enemy phase if she needs to bait. -Res is used because red mages simply aren't prevalent in the current meta, and Falchions are the primary threat. Nowi, with as many defensive buffs as I can give her is my first line of defense against Lyn and Cordelia. Fortify Dragons, one stack of Drive Def 2, and S Distant Def 3 gives +15/12 for a total of 49/49/39 defenses, though ideally, I'd be less lazy and also switch Fae to use Drive Def 2 for 49/52/39 defenses.

Fae uses +Atk for standard firepower. -Def is used because magic is the primary threat among blue units, with Reinhardt being in the lead, and because even the strongest of lances still have significant trouble getting through her Def when buffed. I don't think I've ever felt significantly threatened by any lance user.

Ninian uses +Spd as is standard for non-combatants to avoid being double attacked. -Res was chosen for the same reason as for Nowi to improve her chances of surviving Falchion users, though Lucina can still kill her in one round. In addition, the choice against -HP was made because my original build (and the build I should be using when I have all four members together in one team and am not lazy) uses Reciprocal Aid instead of Reposition, and the Squad Ace A 1 seal gave Ninian 49 HP to match Nowi's 49 HP and Fae's 50 HP (Tiki also has 49 HP when running HP +3).

On a side note, I've been wanting to run an Awakening Tiki [+Atk, -Spd] (Lightning Breath+, Aether, Steady Breath, Quick Riposte 3) as a general fuck you to axes and bows, but that is going to have to wait until after I finish merging Brave Ike (4 more copies to go).

And definitely after Diadora leaves the bonus hero list.

Much appreciated insight. Since I have to be very careful with some SI fodder that I won't get too much of, thinking about merges and sacrifices with this input beforehand will facilitate things.

I used similar reasonings for Nowi and Fae. And even if Celica or Leo appeared, I neither had problems with my -Res Nowi nor, as you said, any problems with Lances against Fae. So I'll keep those natures for the time being.

Y!Tiki might still cause doubts for me at my level of play, though I'll hope for -HP regardless, as it definitely is the best bane for her, imo. It's also good for people like me to have multiple options on nature combinations that are "best" since I won't have too many options, most likely.

Kinda looked at A!Tiki a couple of times, but was always majorly bothered by the 6 points difference in BST. She would be better for future merges, though.... maybe I should consider her, since I won't get many Y!Tikis but loads of A!Tikis during the lifespan of this game....

Are you only sniping greens atm? Otherwise, I'm sure, with all your pulls, you'd automatically get several A!Tikis. With that said, I remember you saying that your barracks were full. Can't imagine managing 1k units without any possibility of expanding and with the amount of pulls you consistently perform.

3 minutes ago, MonkeyCheez3K said:

Are you only sniping greens atm? Otherwise, I'm sure, with all your pulls, you'd automatically get several A!Tikis. With that said, I remember you saying that your barracks were full. Can't imagine managing 1k units without any possibility of expanding and with the amount of pulls you consistently perform.

Currently sniping reds for Ira, but if I decide I have enough (currently have 6 copies of her... and 13 of Eldigan) and have enough money to spare, I'll go back to sniping greens for Diadora, Brave Ike, and Amelia. Or PA Azura.

4 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Currently sniping reds for Ira, but if I decide I have enough (currently have 6 copies of her... and 13 of Eldigan) and have enough money to spare, I'll go back to sniping greens for Diadora, Brave Ike, and Amelia. Or PA Azura.

Fury fodder or another +10 Eldigan? Or both?

19 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Fury fodder or another +10 Eldigan? Or both?

I only had 2 copies of Eldigan to begin with (so 11 of those are new from this banner). I did manage to get a super spiffy [+Atk, -Res] one that I'll probably use as a base for a +10 sometime soon. Because merging away 10 copies of a character is an easy way to clear up some box space. If only the number of Eldigans could be switched with the number of Iras, though.

I do need to figure out what kind of build I want to run on him, though, so as to not waste the SP from chain merging. Not sure if I want to stick with a more traditional Fury build or go with Close Def. I suppose Fury works well with the newly available Brash Assault + Desperation combo that any unit can now run, but Mystletainn + Close Def + Quick Riposte + Bonfire just looks too good to pass up (the problem is getting Close Def, though I do actually have a spare Summer Tiki). I mean, I could just do both, but...

What's the cutoff point for getting into Tier 20?

Cecilia bonus unit teams are pretty bad for my armour unit + Askr. I mean BK can deal with her, but if there's a Lyn or Reinhardt, Hector can kill one but gets overwhelmed by the other. Also parallel walls map is annoying for armours. (Using armours to get high points and escape cavalry....except merged Reinhardts :/)

Anyway, saw Sophia representation while looking for matches....it turns out the defense team had 2 Sophias! One is +10 and has Close Counter while the other has a Fury build. Kind of an interesting team, since they were accompanied by two green units.

Edited by mcsilas

Benchmarks time for me as well:

• Tier 20 Arena score of 4990 (yay, Arena high score, though overshadowed by my AA scores 2-3 times); (Nowi +10, Nino +7 with Aether, Eirika +1, Sharena 5*) - #1828
  • Arena Assault score of 4994 (Nowi +10, Nino +7 with Aether, Eirika +1, Sheena +1) - #1409

Sheena's been working pretty well for keeping my score roughly the same as before while freeing up Ike, though she's not really all that useful for actual fighting, since I lack a mega-whale copy. Of course, after freeing Ike up to kill green mages, my finished Arena Assault saw almost no green mages. Tobin and troll Windsweep Alm have both been putting in quite a bit of work, since I've hit that point in score where I'm starting to see 4x Distant Counter armours with nearly optimized skills (some of the really mega-whale stuff gets substituted here that there, making them less effective, though).

I got a bit sick of sitting on 120k feathers, so I decided to promote Arvis, since I needed another red mage for bench coverage, anyway. Still waiting for the game to cough up more Ninos and Eirikas (though I've been getting Barsts left and right, so I can't complain too loudly). I also got a Klein, so my Florina's now fully kitted. Thanks to Arena Assault's map preview, she doesn't even have a hard time contributing picks. :P:

Back to tier 19. I got all the feathers available and ended with around 8 defense wins, not too shabby.

On Arena Assault I got 22 coins I guess? I forgot how much you can win at the top 5k but those were well spent on maxing Deflect Magic. 

Score of 5076 (T20) remains in T20, and combines with a Def score of 610 for max rewards.

Teams faced (streak):

Spoiler

RXOzKgP.pngq5ThTXA.pngrtWdF8Z.pngMuOiW1w.pnghaCdP3v.pngmOJLyL2.pngYHu9CMl.png

Teams faced (other):

Spoiler

mBqtW5k.pngsSgl2v1.pngw2FGLja.pngy6txZcr.pngHwHq4rR.pngXbh4c3t.pngXaYb9BT.pngZMXc0Fj.pngMXSCy4y.pnggh8gZee.pnglNJDWLk.png3eqfCRU.png9m9ex6n.pnghJh6Ooz.pnglzGOfGh.png02vKZyB.pngeVyMa45.pngxXfDtZQ.pngRatTaaO.pngwTphRu7.pngBOvIN2X.pngrWcVyaU.pngK1uG19V.pngSc3q7LO.pngmv428jO.pngdo9O4ud.pngZbMhA3a.png8JFZRMG.png6apVHxH.png

Awkwardly enough, the mono-red Horse team wiped me because I screwed up and put Celica in the wrong spot...and ofc it's immortalized now...R.I.P. I also saw a couple Archanea teams, which was entertaining, if nothing else.

I faced a few Ayras in the last few days of the season, so that was good practice. There were plenty of Guidance shenanigans to go around as well. I'm debating whether or not to upgrade the TT Guidance seal, and just teach Tana Spur Atk. I've got one more week of Celica/Tana/Julia before I finally get to deploy Eirika/Nino/Azura again after about 3 months (I can't believe it's been that long O.o).

The Sacred Coin payout was enough to get me Panic Ploy 2. Unfortunately, I've only got 15 left, with 40 more to get from the Tempest, so unless the November quests include Sacred Coins, I'll need 2 weeks to finish it off. After that, it'll join Distant Def and Deflect Missile in the "fully upgraded" seals group, and I'll have to see if I need to max out another high-point one for AA scoring, or if I can move to the Stat+ or Spur ones for practicality.

Season 38 (1.3.0 S23) Results:

Score: 4,854 (New Record!)
Defense: 580

DT2cgh7.png

The “We like Ike” squad.  High BST and skill costs along with upgraded seals gives me my first high score in many months.  B!Ike was a good a check as any to the omnipresent B!Lyn/Reinhardt combo, charging up his Aether and destroying one of them on the next turn.  We had the infamous double wall map to contend with this rotation, which lead to most of deaths incurred this season.  I feel like I’ve gotten better at predicting how the enemy will move there, but it still feels like a death is sometimes unavoidable unless I move perfectly every turn.

I don’t think it should be retired, but I definitely feel like some of these maps could benefit from starting point repositioning, similar to what they did with the double mountain map also in this rotation.  Those of us who’ve been playing since early on might remember that it used to split the teams two to a corner in criss-cross fashion.  It was horrible back then, but it probably wouldn’t be so bad now that we have the ability to change starting positions.

Arena Assault:

sP8AWpA.png

Hall of Fame:

Spoiler

Ak7FQNc.png

More Wo Dao goodness.  I ran into a lot of Hana this season, surprisingly.

1keXTrr.png

This was owned by a Japanese player whose name translated to something like “I live to serve Valter”.  I have nothing to add.

Previous Season Results:

@DLNarshen I've been noticing for a while now, but there's no real reason to need to put the gold star next to the character's name in your team build banner (assuming it's used to indicate rarity) since the gold border around the name already does that.

Anyways, the usual 11,400 feathers and 40 coins for me. Not sure if I want to level up Hardy Bearing first or Phantom Spd.

5 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

@DLNarshen I've been noticing for a while now, but there's no real reason to need to put the gold star next to the character's name in your team build banner (assuming it's used to indicate rarity) since the gold border around the name already does that.

I...never even noticed the different border colors.  Good to know going forward, thanks for telling me!

23 hours ago, Rezzy said:

The team that served me well for Defense Wins for several months now struggles to get any.  I switched my Defense team to be Sigurd, Titania, Reinhardt, and CYLyn.  I got 5 wins, but it seems sad now.  I finally got around to upgrading some Seals, so maybe that will make a difference.

I should go back up to Tier 20 with my score of 4846 ranking 5264, about 5K below the cutoff.

For Arena Assault, I got a Deathless streak back on my first day for a score of 4860, which is rank 6238.  The competition there seems a bit more fierce since we found out what they actually do, but I don't think I'd be able to crack the 5K mark, so I'm happy with where I'm at there.

Yeah, the competition in Arena Assault has definitely picked up. With something in the 4880s, I managed to make the cutoff, but it was close. Used to be that even 4850s was smooth sailing for the 5k bracket. I think that access to the higher level seals has also contributed some to the inflation as well, since those can boost the base score a little bit.

21 hours ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Yeah, I like giving out a free win the extra crest too, usually with preference for those in lower tiers, since I figure they're more likely to be in need of a defense win.

And no free defense wins for teams with dancers? What about for this...

Spoiler

qVqCaZI.png

Dancer Emblem! Lol. I encountered this in Arena Assault a few weeks ago. It's a creative, if not particularly effective, team!