Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

58 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

This is going to be the first week in what feels like forever when I don’t get defence wins. Sad.

Ouch. I really hate the whole defense win system.

I got no proper one last week, but now suddenly since putting Vector in I get 7 wins!

I really need to know how my team is winning or not winning...

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure that Alfonse sucks on a defense team regardless of his build. I used the classic Folkvangr+Swordbreaker and nothing, used the Brave Sword+ and Axebreaker to counter Vector and nothing. I changed him for LA!Lyn and already got 2 defense wins.

54 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

I'm pretty sure that Alfonse sucks on a defense team regardless of his build.

But I got defence wins with the exact same team for three rotations straight. Except this bloody week.

15 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

But I got defence wins with the exact same team for three rotations straight. Except this bloody week.

It must be the map rotation+bonus units stuff. This week heavily favors armor emblem, if only because this is the week with the Oasis map.

But if that's the case then your Micaiah should be able help against those kind of teams and also against L!Ike...I wonder how well would she work with WoM because Myrrh should be able to survive at least 1 round of combat if the player tries to bait her only to end up spooked by a Thani in their face. Then again the AI is stupid so there's no guarantee of getting defense wins no matter how much you fine-tune your team.

I'm not sure if the scores are inflated as terribly this week as I thought. I assumed the score I achieved last week wouldn't be anywhere NEAR enough to stay, but it's still pretty close.  I managed to get a new high score in the Arena (by two points): 5060 using V!Ike, Merric, Raven, and Fjorm. No blessings. At first I switched out Fjorm for Valter, but her DC was kind of important for countering pesky mages. So I was brave and decided to use V!Ike instead of Lucina. He's not a GREAT dragon counter, but he can do it with some extra support. I actually struggled a lot this week against Armor Emblem and almost didn't get my 7 win streak a few times, but I powered through today and somehow got lucky. I may not like using armors, but they're a HUGE pain to deal with. Right now, my score is good for rank 3832/5311 to stay in tier 20. 

My AA score is 5038. I could probably get a better score and back into the top 3k (currently ranked 3277), but it's not as big of a priority. Those runs are tedious enough without having to search for better points. 

Well, since I'm still unable to pull a Lyn, whatever she wear, back to my old team again. Hopefully I have Soren as bonus unit... Team in spoiler.

4856 points, of course, not enough to rank up. I'll be back to 18th tomorrow...

Spoiler

wITaPsM.png

Robin got another merge (+4) and his Fortify Res seal was upgraded (Fortify Res 3). Fun fact : with the merge, he went to 36 speed... Just enough to double and kill many Ike or V!Ike on initation (two of three I encountered were at 31 speed).

Before this run, I tried with a new team, with Soren, Ike, NY!Takumi and Nephenee, but the score wasn't great and I got three or four deaths... But the team was interesting enough to play with. I just have to not encounter something like that :

Spoiler

vOK0KPP.png

Seriously, I hate Sigurd, and hopefully Nephenee was there to take him off. I encountered too a team of Tiki. Plus a Nowi. But the Summer!Tiki doesn't have any weapon... Well, doesn't change the fact that his Y!Tiki killed my Ike, even if he was on a Fortress case... Damn...

Edit : Managed to do a 7-row win AA... on the second try. Guess who was my doom in the first try ? Yes, correct, again a Sigurd... accompagned by an Axura. Tch.

Edited by Ledrert

Seems Armored boots is much better than I give it credit for... I went from 3 defense wins to 10+ just because I gave my Lyn that seal and Drive Spd 2 while also giving Ayra Atk Smoke to debuff the ENEMY.

Time for another score report:

-Tier 20 score of 5112 (Nino +10 with Aether, Atk Ploy 3 Seal; Nowi +10 with Ather, DD3 Seal; Adult Tiki +8 with Aether, Rally D/R, Hone Spd 3 Seal; Vanguard Ike with QR3 Seal) - #1402 (/5468)

-Arena Assault score of 5182 (Nino +10 with Aether, Atk Ploy 3 Seal; Nowi +10 with Ather, DD3 Seal; Adult Tiki +8 with Aether, Rally D/R, Hone Spd 3 Seal; Draug +10 with Rally D/R, Blazing Wind, Distant Counter, QR3 Seal) - #1178

Not a ton of change, since I didn't make a ton of modifications. I did pull a spare Valentine Hector—actually two, somehow... I mean, I did basically snipe away at green with all of the anniversary and Tempest orbs, but that's still crazy in my mind when a vanilla Ike took me about 50% more to get just one. In any event, that means Distant Counter on Draug, making him actually usable and worth 60 more SP, and a spare DC in my pocket for if I do build that Sheena way down the line. I got another Tiki for merging late in the week, but the one run I did get in with her at +9 was almost as low ball as possible, being a full 20 points under what my run with her at +8 ended up as. Since I've been getting all this optimized stuff in place, I decided to throw two of the spare Rodericks I had lying around at Nino and Nowi. I'll see if switching those in solely for AA runs makes enough of a difference (probably still won't be enough, even on the very slim chance I get Tiki to +10 off of tomorrow's new banner, though).

This was absolutely my most successful arena/AA session ever.

image.png image.png

That is by far my highest arena score ever. Giving my team all Earth Blessings was a great idea.

I almost gave up on AA this week because I kept loosing the second to last battle but my final yolo run last night I somehow did a deathless run and got my highest score ever. So that was pretty fun. 

I also got my highest scoring defense win. Its been a good arena week.

Spoiler

image.png

1 hour ago, mampfoid said:

Found this:

-snip-

I don't know if it's possible to know the exact treshold, but this seems pretty close (~2 hours before arena closes). 

So my score was 5060 which was comfortably within 1000 ranks of dropping out of tier 20. It makes you wonder how big of a difference there is between just single digits. I know that 20 points is pretty big in the grand scheme of things, but at the same time, it doesn't feel like that HUGE of a difference. Two points higher than last week got me around the same rank it feels. I didn't bother checking my exact rank, but I was somewhere between 4100 and 4300/5300 give or take. The threshold to stay was probably just a little bit higher than 5040.

I went to bed 7 hours before the season closed with less than 1000 ranks separating me and demotion to tier 18, but woke up pleasantly surprised to find I made it to tier 20 instead, it must have been a fine, fine margin between success and failure with 4906 points.

Paid for my one death in AA by falling out to rank 21400 but that was expected, but the total feather reward got me to 20100 so I guess it worked out okay?

Back to tier 20, nothing surprising I guess considering I've been on tier 19.5 since forever and my teams seem to have withstood score inflation pretty nicely.

On AA I got rank 6,609 which sucks but there's not a lot I can do although missing those coins really stings.

Now I'm up to 25k feathers atm and debating on who should I work with, Nino or Sheena? Nino is easier to merge (already have enough copies for a +9) and doesn't need lots of resources to do her job but her ceiling is lower while Sheena is harder to merge (have enough copies for +6) and requires heavy investment but her score ceiling is pretty high....

3000 and up threshold for AA was very near the 5070 mark. Had 5068 and would have been beaten in the last moments if I hadn't rerun the entire thing a bit before. 508X (already forgot, lol) was #25XX.

Slapped another Aether on my core from the feathers, in order to make it easier next season. Long live the score inflation!

Season 55 Results:

Score: 5,002
Defense: 600

81I71CQ.png

Changes from last week:

-Narcian got another merge (+5 to +6)
-Hinoka's Spear was refined

While the advantages provided by refining Hinoka's Spear are not as blatant as the Wing Sword, I did appreciate having extra movement options against the usual horse threats.  Got myself into a situation on the lava map (the new one with the trenches) where under normal circumstances I would have had to have Hinoka move up two spaces to kill a B!Lyn, which would have exposed her to a B!Ike.  With the refinement however, I got out of it by having Hinoka move up only one space, and having Narcian who had been placed adjacent to her warp up and get the kill, and take B!Ike's attack instead. 

Also, I was too much of a chicken to sack my spare Ike to give Hinoka Heavy Blade.  Maybe another week...

Arena Assault:

TKlRI6K.png

Previous Season Results:

On 2/17/2018 at 2:05 AM, mcsilas said:

Ouch. I really hate the whole defense win system.

I got no proper one last week, but now suddenly since putting Vector in I get 7 wins!

I really need to know how my team is winning or not winning...

I got zero Defense wins last week for the first time in months, but this week, I got 7 Defense Wins last I checked.  I wish I could save surplus wins for later weeks.

I've given out hundreds of freebie wins to other players, since I usually surrender on the 4th map of Arena Assault, once I have my 7 streak for the week.

Staying in Tier 20 isn't challenging for me at all anymore. I don't even put in the most expensive skills possible and my fourth is always extremely low on merge levels. However, this season I have a +4 Soren who is finally getting some use. Even with a death or two (I forget) I was able to remain in Tier 20, but apparently like ~20 fewer points and I would have fallen out.

For AA it has been really tight for several weeks now for me to stay in the top 1000. Last week i was in a huge tie around the 950 range with @Hilda and like 50 other people. I'm pretty sure the people with 2 points less were not in the top 1000. So Yesterday, I finally upgraded some of my 200 SP skills to 240 SP skills (Steady Breath replaces TA3 for Nowi and Drive Spd 2 replaces Threaten Atk 3 for Lukas) and I merged Amelia to +10 after way to much time of indecisiveness. Went with her +Res/-Spd nature because dragon meta. The changes added an average of 4 points per match and brought me within the top 300. My final upgrade will be replacing my +8 Ike with my +10 Caeda once I get her skill kit finished. Right now she has all low scoring skills.

@Rafiel's Aria - Pretty sure I fought your Defense team last week. Aria's (or Rafiel's?) Boys was the name. It had your +10 Raven on it. I accidentally declined sending the friend request though.

I have so many dueling crests that I have been using the askr trio + Fjorm in easy matches to complete those quests so I don't have to use any Stamina for it. 432 Dueling Crests and I am still getting way more than I use.

2 hours ago, Hawk King said:

I have so many dueling crests that I have been using the askr trio + Fjorm in easy matches to complete those quests so I don't have to use any Stamina for it. 432 Dueling Crests and I am still getting way more than I use.

You can get quest progress in AA too, even after the first run of the day.

Two defense wins on the first day, I guess Armored Boots is somewhat on the same vein as Guidance for surprise movements.

Already finished AA with a score of 4962, that's enough for top 10k.

Normal Arena run will wait until Thursday because I'm going down anyways and I don't want to use crests.

7 hours ago, Hawk King said:

@Rafiel's Aria - Pretty sure I fought your Defense team last week. Aria's (or Rafiel's?) Boys was the name. It had your +10 Raven on it. I accidentally declined sending the friend request though.

I'm Aria's Boys! That's really cool though! I think that makes you one of the first SF people to fight my team. Pretty sweet! 

6 hours ago, LordFrigid said:

You can get quest progress in AA too, even after the first run of the day.

Great, now I don't need to use any crests anymore, lol.

1 hour ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

I'm Aria's Boys! That's really cool though! I think that makes you one of the first SF people to fight my team. Pretty sweet! 

You are the 3rd that I have run into, that I know of. I ran into @Clogon once and @Whistle quite a few times. I haven't seen Whistle here in awhile though.

37 minutes ago, Hawk King said:

Great, now I don't need to use any crests anymore, lol.

You are the 3rd that I have run into, that I know of. I ran into @Clogon once and @Whistle quite a few times. I haven't seen Whistle here in awhile though.

I'm curious. What kind of score range is my team in? Do you remember? Depending on the time of the week, it was either Raven, Lucius, Merric, and Lyon or Ike. I used Ike to get the win...and switched out for Lyon because...favoritism. He lowers my score, but at that point of the week, it doesn't matter.