Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

Wow, with a +1 Talitiu and not the highest scoring skills, I was able to comfortably stay in Tier 21. After a few failed runs, I got the most insane luck yesterday. Every match was the highest scoring possible for me and none of them were too difficult. Quite a few enemies were even lacking DC.

I'm pretty sure this week will be a little more difficult.

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, mampfoid said:

I'll try that with M!Marth, Falchion and Renewal will keep her alive. But she'll kill some greens accidentally, sometimes Cherche can tank greens good as well.

Yeah it can be pretty difficult, especially if you're using someone with high offense or effective weaponry and they always do too much damage. Lately I've been using super Res build Hawkeye with Atk and Def Ploys, which has worked great for dealing with dragons, especially if there's a defensive tile.

I suddenly realize that we need a Mercy/Subdue seal

3 hours ago, Johann said:

Yeah it can be pretty difficult, especially if you're using someone with high offense or effective weaponry and they always do too much damage. Lately I've been using super Res build Hawkeye with Atk and Def Ploys, which has worked great for dealing with dragons, especially if there's a defensive tile.

I suddenly realize that we need a Mercy/Subdue seal

Cordelia can chip with her Firesweep Lance. As soon as I get enough copies, I'll run Caeda. She would be good with FS too.

I got a surprise Silas today. He'll score lower than Fjorm, but I guess getting the kills will be easier. Hawkeye sounds interesting, mine is +RES too, but misses merges to be useful in arena. 

My AA streak today wasn't as high as in the last weeks (5,183), but the last kill on match 7 was very satisfying:

j0lEUh1.png

I was out of good blues and reds with the according blessings. Elincia had to help Shigure to kill a Vantage M!Corrin and lost most of her HP. Accidentally she didn't have Desperation but WoM equipped. I had to move down with Shigure to let Elincia WoM-beam to that defense tile, otherwise she would have died attacking Fae. 

Aww, what the hell. It isn't Water season again? Don't the seasons last 2 weeks but are staggered apart by 1 week from each other? I'm going to need to  change Tailtiu's blessing for this week.

2 minutes ago, Hawk King said:

Aww, what the hell. It isn't Water season again? Don't the seasons last 2 weeks but are staggered apart by 1 week from each other? I'm going to need to  change Tailtiu's blessing for this week.

Wasn't there a change in the system according to a datamine not too long ago? I might be wrong, but I recall something like that being said

14 minutes ago, Hawk King said:

No, it's never been like that. It's been one fixed season for the month, corresponding with the current month's legendary hero, plus just a rotation of the other three seasons each week.

@silveraura25 There was a change to what season an entire month would have been, which indicates they changed their mind (or fixed an error) about what element the legendary hero would have been that month. I think it wasn't until next year though. Interestingly the implication is that we'll get consecutive Water heroes in November and December, then consecutive Wind heroes in both January and February.

The seasons for every arena week for the next six months are available on the wiki - https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Seasons

Edited by Humanoid

2 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

No, it's never been like that. It's been one fixed season for the month, corresponding with the current month's legendary hero, plus just a rotation of the other three seasons each week.

Ah ok. I never really noticed before.

So, it completely slipped my mind that my Cecilia+10 is fire-blessed and as such easily outscores my Nino+9 this week with the aid of Legendary Marth. I plugged my team into the score calculator and I realised there was a chance of me staying in T20 for the first time ever, and all it would cost me is two 4* Tailtius and one random AoE special. Well then, that's definitely worth a shot.

- Legendary Marth +0, base kit plus Reposition and Close Def seal

- Lilina +10, Forblaze[special], dual Rally, Growing Flame, DB3, Special Spiral, Drive Spd 2, Heavy Blade

- Nowi +8, LB+[def], Reposition, Glimmer, Fury, Vantage, Hone Spd 3, QR3 (this isn't optimised for score but I plugged in a dual rally, AoE special and Drive Spd 2 and the team score didn't budge, so no point optimising until I get a spare Bike)

- Cecilia +10, Gronnraven+, dual Rally, Growing Flame, TA3, Escape Route 3, Drive Spd 2, Distant Def

Fished for 728+ and a minimum of three bonus kills per battle. Ended up with exactly 3700 points which demolishes my previous record by almost 40 points, but it's still touch-and-go on whether it'll be enough to stay. It'd have been enough last week, though just barely, so there's a reasonable chance.

Had Nowi been fully merged and optimised, I'd have been a shot at T21 but that's definitely not happening without premium fodder which I don't have. I do have one Bike but I'm not giving him up, nor my one spare Like (who wouldn't give Aether either).

EDIT: I screwed up the calculations by forgetting to set Marth's bane, so actually I could improve my score by one notch by adding a dual rally to either him or Nowi, or more palatably, an AoE special to Nowi. High probability it still wouldn't be enough for T21 though so I'm not sure I can be bothered redoing my run. Will see nearer the end of the week I guess when TT fatigue subsides.

EDIT 2: Whoops, turns out my Marth never learned Fire Emblem. Yeah.... plus he needs the dual rally regardless.

Edited by Humanoid

5 hours ago, Humanoid said:

So, it completely slipped my mind that my Cecilia+10 is fire-blessed and as such easily outscores my Nino+9 this week with the aid of Legendary Marth. I plugged my team into the score calculator and I realised there was a chance of me staying in T20 for the first time ever, and all it would cost me is two 4* Tailtius and one random AoE special. Well then, that's definitely worth a shot.

- Legendary Marth +0, base kit plus Reposition and Close Def seal

- Lilina +10, Forblaze[special], dual Rally, Growing Flame, DB3, Special Spiral, Drive Spd 2, Heavy Blade

- Nowi +8, LB+[def], Reposition, Glimmer, Fury, Vantage, Hone Spd 3, QR3 (this isn't optimised for score but I plugged in a dual rally, AoE special and Drive Spd 2 and the team score didn't budge, so no point optimising until I get a spare Bike)

- Cecilia +10, Gronnraven+, dual Rally, Growing Flame, TA3, Escape Route 3, Drive Spd 2, Distant Def

Fished for 728+ and a minimum of three bonus kills per battle. Ended up with exactly 3700 points which demolishes my previous record by almost 40 points, but it's still touch-and-go on whether it'll be enough to stay. It'd have been enough last week, though just barely, so there's a reasonable chance.

Had Nowi been fully merged and optimised, I'd have been a shot at T21 but that's definitely not happening without premium fodder which I don't have. I do have one Bike but I'm not giving him up, nor my one spare Like (who wouldn't give Aether either).

EDIT: I screwed up the calculations by forgetting to set Marth's bane, so actually I could improve my score by one notch by adding a dual rally to either him or Nowi, or more palatably, an AoE special to Nowi. High probability it still wouldn't be enough for T21 though so I'm not sure I can be bothered redoing my run. Will see nearer the end of the week I guess when TT fatigue subsides.

EDIT 2: Whoops, turns out my Marth never learned Fire Emblem. Yeah.... plus he needs the dual rally regardless.

What Rally did you use? Legendary Marth with Close Def seal and getting support from Def/Res Tactics is an absolute monster and can safely take on an absurd amount of enemies, especially if there are defensive tiles.

I guess it's nice knowing that Silas will almost certainly be demoted (making Steady Stance regularly available at 4*) before you'll have to think about foddering a Brave Ike off

At the moment, a score of 3711 is ranked 1074 in tier 20 and would advance to tier 21.  I know that will probably change, but for the moment, I'll feel accomplished.  Maybe I'll stay in tier 20 this week!  I think it would only be the second time I've managed to stay.  I love Earth season :)

Tonight's Assault run - right in the trash. Two Lilinas and two Ninos. A cancerous defense team that makes Blynhardt look easy. I thought Titania could tank Valentine's Lilina. I was sorely wrong.

Until they fix the "no EXP/SP/HM unless it's the first run" garbage, I refuse to sink a good half hour or more on a second run of the day.

I wish I could have sent my usual spiteful friend request in Assault.

7 hours ago, Johann said:

What Rally did you use? Legendary Marth with Close Def seal and getting support from Def/Res Tactics is an absolute monster and can safely take on an absurd amount of enemies, especially if there are defensive tiles.

I always get them mixed up (and also forget to actually use them in combat) but it was from Tailtiu so Spd/Res, not quite as useful as Marth is doubling everything already. I did give Marth himself Rally Def/Res, but of course he didn't really get a chance to use it himself. No Tactics buffs either since the team is locked into three infantry, and there was no Fortify support either unfortunately.

At any rate, I went ahead and tried again, dragged myself over the line for a record 3715. To be quite honest, it was a miserable experience and I don't think it's one I would ever repeat, at the end of it I only felt relief at it being over. I feel a little better about it now that I've slept since then, but still, the experience of having to fight with skills optimised for score over performance was horrific, as was the extensive fishing required. Don't know how some folks can do this every week.

It's high-week for T21 entry though I think, so it might fall just short, but either way, I've given myself the best possible chance to tick it off the bucket list and I'll have to be content with that no matter the result. The opportunity only came along because of the combination of a legendary fire bonus hero, so if I fail, then it'll be a long while before I get another shot.

4 hours ago, Humanoid said:

I always get them mixed up (and also forget to actually use them in combat) but it was from Tailtiu so Spd/Res, not quite as useful as Marth is doubling everything already. I did give Marth himself Rally Def/Res, but of course he didn't really get a chance to use it himself. No Tactics buffs either since the team is locked into three infantry, and there was no Fortify support either unfortunately.

At any rate, I went ahead and tried again, dragged myself over the line for a record 3715. To be quite honest, it was a miserable experience and I don't think it's one I would ever repeat, at the end of it I only felt relief at it being over. I feel a little better about it now that I've slept since then, but still, the experience of having to fight with skills optimised for score over performance was horrific, as was the extensive fishing required. Don't know how some folks can do this every week.

It's high-week for T21 entry though I think, so it might fall just short, but either way, I've given myself the best possible chance to tick it off the bucket list and I'll have to be content with that no matter the result. The opportunity only came along because of the combination of a legendary fire bonus hero, so if I fail, then it'll be a long while before I get another shot.

Ah yeah, somehow my brain misread your units and made either Lilina or Nowi into cavalry for no reason. I can be pretty clueless sometimes.

In terms of doing it every (other) week, a good deal of it is luck, particularly with the new system. I'm lucky Frederick was a bonus unit that first week, and I'm lucky I was able to give Sharena really good skills the next time around (thanks Spring Kagero). If I didn't pull a Marth, I wouldn't have been able to do it this past week, I'm sure. None of them would have worked without the flexibility I have with my core units (Cain, Sheena, Felicia, and now Hawkeye) to perform a variety of roles (buffs and ploys) while scoring high due to everything I've given them. Losing the use of skills like Repostion is a huge pain in the ass, and it really only takes one bad map for me to have to start over (usually the twisting lava map), so yeah it's pretty normal to want to forget about it sometimes (but I never do).

It'd only a matter of time before my luck runs out and I can't pull it off with an Askr unit, but that's ok since I don't really miss out on much if I can't do it. 1 orb and 500 feathers every two weeks is nice but the game usually gives you that much for just doing basic daily stuff, so when that time comes, I won't be stressing myself over no succeeding. I don't feel any sense of prestige towards the silly little crown.

Time to put Spring Sharena back in, now that she's got her Duel skill and Rally Up Atk+.

The good: I saw a worthy opponent: "Chromplete". Though it wasn't all Chroms as the name suggested (a Winter Lissa and a Brave Hector), it was a very close match, and very exciting.

The bad: I forgot my Quan had a dual rally and not Reposition in the next match. A run in the trash as I had no way of flipping Sharena to safety.

Upgraded my drop week don't care 3,5xx withdeaths run to 3,746. Still not enough to stay a Great Summoner - damn these green foes requiring I wipe them out with somebody else. Only about 300-400 places short, though. I'll spend the whole weekend trying to get a better score.

Wow- I managed an even higher score, with Tailtiu getting even more of the kills.  I think she scored almost all of them.  A score of 3737 is ranked 186 in tier 20.  I may actually have a shot at Great Summoner :o  I didn't see this coming.  Stay in tier 20, sure.  Make it to tier 21?

I guess there's still a chance I'll fall out of the promotion rank, but for now...  This is exciting, and a rare combination of Earth season and a bonus hero who can get kills and I have reasonably highly merged.

Ran into a team in Arena that fielded a Chill Spd, Atk Tactics, Def Tactics Soren +10 and a Chill Def Caeda +10 with the new duel skills. They were backed up by a Zelgius +10 and a Saber +0 (bonus). The amount of buffs and debuffs in play are a bit daunting, since it can provide wide swings in stats, but in the end, Soren is really squishy and easy to bait by any of the budget armours. Draug flattened him off the bat with little effort, leaving the remaining enemies at a large disadvantage. Of particular note is that while Gwendolyn didn't kill Caeda on the first round of combat, Caeda then Galeforced into Anna and promptly died, despite WTA. I guess the triple red does make it hard for Anna teams fielding Anna as the bonus to get any bonus score (though any team fielding Tailtiu will find three free kills), but that's not really going to get that team any defense wins.

I like that the game itself now tells us ahead of time about the next round of Bonus units. Gives me more time to bump up projects on the list when I know they'll suddenly be usefu, because I'm not the sort of person interested enough in Arena to be checking japanese twitter accounts for that sort of information - or even knowing ahead of time when an arena season ends.

Edited by Glennstavos

5 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I like that the game itself now tells us ahead of time about the next round of Bonus units. Gives me more time to bump up projects on the list when I know they'll suddenly be usefu, because I'm not the sort of person interested enough in Arena to be checking japanese twitter accounts for that sort of information - or even knowing ahead of time when an arena season ends.

I have a feeling that this won't be a normal thing, and only happening because most of the characters are on current banners, plus Garon who goes away soon

1 hour ago, Johann said:

I have a feeling that this won't be a normal thing, and only happening because most of the characters are on current banners, plus Garon who goes away soon

Why wouldn’t they keep it up? They have been announcing these on twitter since release, why not have it for the international audience right in the game as well? Wait and see, of course, but I don’t see the reason for them to not keep doing these announcements in the future.

1 hour ago, Vaximillian said:

Why wouldn’t they keep it up?

I hope they won't keep up bringing 7 out of 10 bonus units being new focus units. 

The Twitter-only info about the weekly arena bonus never made sense to me, but it isn't a big deal either. 

Top-tier Arena has now gotten pretty interesting with the Duel skills, but nothing my current team can't handle. At the very least, G Duel Infantry means more food for Marth.

One team at 756 points has Summer Tana with Raudhrblade and Windsweep and the entire team running Rally Spd/Def+ (though no other field buffs). Too bad Marth deleted her.

There's also another team at 756 running two Legendary Hectors and two Hawkeyes with one of the Hawkeyes running Slaying Axe, Growing Light, Special Spiral, and getting Infantry Pulse and Ostia's Pulse support to have it active immediately. Too bad Marth soloed the entire team without taking any damage. Def Tactic + Exalted Falchion for 52 Def is silly.

Tier 21

Score: 3,804 (752-756, 10 bonus kills)
Defense: 632 (×10+)

+10 Zelgius [+Atk, -HP] (Alondite, Rally Def/Res, Black Luna, Steady Breath, Warp Powder, Armor March 3, Def Tactic 3) [Fire]
+10 Dark Hardin [+Atk, -Spd] (Gradivus, Rally Def/Res, Aether, Steady Breath, Bold Fighter 3, Ward Armor, Quick Riposte 3) [Fire]
+10 Legendary Hector [+Atk, -Res] (Thunder Armads, Swap, Aether, Distant Counter, Vengeful Fighter 3, Ostia's Pulse, Drive Spd 2)
+10 Legendary Marth [+Spd, -Res] (Exalted Falchion, Reposition, Fire Emblem, Distant Counter, Binding Shield, Infantry Flash 3, Flashing Blade 3)

EDIT: Arena Assault:

I ran into a team (forgot to check the score) running Legendary Robin, Legendary Ike, Caeda, and Julia that faced off against my melee cavalry team (which I always save for last since it's my strongest pre-made team). I was a bit worried with only having Distant Counter on Titania, but Julia is just really, really slow, even after Titania got hit by Chill Spd.

Score: 5,286

Edited by Ice Dragon