• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Season 13 Results:

Score: 4,740 (New Record!)
Defense: 0

LRAkDnP.png

Sharena performed Ephraim's role this season in being a support bot.  She herself rarely saw any action, save from tanking a hit from a red or blue unit every now and then if absolutely needed.  She was most often paired with Tiki to provide Fortify Def 2 buffs, bringing her up to 41 Def, potentially allowing her to keep QR2 in-tact against weaker archers and physical greens.  While Nino is normally a nuke that can dismantle most enemies after getting into Desperation range, she was forced to play a more passive role this season on account of lacking Ephraim and dancer support.  Furthermore, I needed to keep her healthy against teams with an enemy Nino or Julia, as I have no one else who can reliably tank them.  Her partner in crime was Reinhardt; she provided him with Atk buffs, and pulled him out of danger after sniping one of the enemies.  

I plan to give Nino Moonbow at some point, but rarely do I find myself in a position where a Special would be anything more than overkill.  Reinhardt now has Death Blow 2, but lacked it during the streak I got this run on.  I will likely remove Vantage on him when I get a suitable replacement, which is why I haven't taught him 3 yet.  Same deal with his Special.

Season 13 Hall of Fame:

Spoiler

I only encountered one enemy I thought was worth screencapping this season, this fully decked out Quadsuna:

4f7zCCA.png

She looked threatening until I realized that Def-buffed Tiki takes no damage.  Miracle was the only reason she wasn't one-rounded.  Threaten Def allowed her to 12 damage next turn, but Luna would have probably been the better Special, I think. 

Previous Season Results:

Spoiler

Edited by DLNarshen

1 hour ago, Xaos Steel Wing said:

I really don't look forward to arena being full of distant counter and close counter units now after this banner.

I find Eirika can deal with Hector quite well. Ryoma is a bit trickier depending on the positioning of other enemy units. But I've found in general that I see these teams with units like Hector, Ryoma, Takumi, and Nowi and think I'm going to lose... and somehow I usually end winning with no deaths a lot of the time anyway.

As for bonus units this week... I'll be using the Soren I just pulled.

I asked for thoughts about my planned Soren build in the Inheritance thread, but since this is relevant here for my next two weeks of arenas, and this thread is more active, I'll post my planned Soren build here too.

*snip*

-Blade Soren is a discount Nino, and I personally don't like running units with sets that another can perform better. -Raven, on the other hand, is a niche that Soren can fill better than Merric because of his higher Atk and Spd, and it also happens to fix up his bulk when you combine it with Triangle Adept. Although I presume you don't have any Roys or Selenas to burn? And like @Vaximillian mentioned, G Tomebreaker gives him coverage vs opposing Ninos while Lancebreaker offers blanket coverage.

If you're looking to get the most out of Soren without too much trouble, I'd consider Raven Adept and see if it fits your team's needs.

Score: 4,788

Final rank: 6,184 iirc 

Defence: 6 wins, highest 289

Total feathers: 5k

Going to have to use Zephiel next season. How's this build?

Edited by Korath88

Just now, Korath88 said:

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_3587.PNG

That's about as standard as standard Zephiel gets.

Man Effie is go.

12 minutes ago, Korath88 said:

*snip*

To be perfectly frank... I'm not sure why you'd take off L&D for Atk +3. I can see it for DB 3, but not Attack +3. Yeah, you take 5 less damage a fight, but dude has the bulk to take it like a man. (L&D actually has comparable damage to Atk + 3 even during bonfire turns, because of the +2 damage over Atk +2. So you lose 2 damage during bonfire rounds (-4 damage due to -5 Def, +2 due to +5 over +3 damage), and then gain 2 during non-bonfire rounds.)

Still decent, though, dude's Min-maxed to hell so he doesn't really care what you do to him.

3 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

To be perfectly frank... I'm not sure why you'd take off L&D for Atk +3. I can see it for DB 3, but not Attack +3. Yeah, you take 5 less damage a fight, but dude has the bulk to take it like a man.

Man Effie gotta tank.

LaD isn't as good as a simple stat up or even DB since all it's giving is 2 more Atk. Zephiel doesn't benefit from the Spd buff while the stats in Def and Res are too valuable to take a hit. Res less so, perhaps, but definitely Def.

38 Def takes hits much better than 33 Def, which keeps Wary Fighter up for a tad longer, which improves his durability to an extent.

10 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Man Effie gotta tank.

LaD isn't as good as a simple stat up or even DB since all it's giving is 2 more Atk. Zephiel doesn't benefit from the Spd buff while the stats in Def and Res are too valuable to take a hit. Res less so, perhaps, but definitely Def.

38 Def takes hits much better than 33 Def, which keeps Wary Fighter up for a tad longer, which improves his durability to an extent.

I mean, if Zephiel takes enough hits that his durability starts to matter, something went horribly wrong. If he didn't start with L&D, then sure, Atk +3 is good, but he did, so putting Atk +3 on him requires a 4* sacrifice just to get some minor bulk in exchange for minor durability damage loss.

Edit: Basically, he either wants boat-loads more durability, in which case you go Def + 3 or TA (1\2\3 are all fine), or he doesn't care, in which case he goes L&D 0\1\2\3. (Depending on ratio of Atk to Bulk desired, L&D is really flexible, since level 1 trades 3 for 3).

Edited by DehNutCase

30 minutes ago, Korath88 said:

Spoiler

IMG_3587.PNG

0/10 no Distant Counter

Looks like a pretty standard Zephiel set to me. 

2 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

Arena rewards have been distributed.

4,780 points gave me 2,500 feathers; rank 7,889 gave me 2,000; 0 defence wins gave me 0 feathers; 4,500 total.

I'm going to try Sharena / Lilina / Catria / Soren this week and Sharena / Lilina / Ninian / Soren the week after that.

@MaskedAmpharos recommended G Tomebreaker for him. His A will probably be Fury, his special Iceberg. Is that fine with his vanilla Rexcalibur?

2 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

-Blade Soren is a discount Nino, and I personally don't like running units with sets that another can perform better. -Raven, on the other hand, is a niche that Soren can fill better than Merric because of his higher Atk and Spd, and it also happens to fix up his bulk when you combine it with Triangle Adept. Although I presume you don't have any Roys or Selenas to burn? And like @Vaximillian mentioned, G Tomebreaker gives him coverage vs opposing Ninos while Lancebreaker offers blanket coverage.

If you're looking to get the most out of Soren without too much trouble, I'd consider Raven Adept and see if it fits your team's needs.

You're right about Gronnblade, if you have a 5* Nino may as well just use her for that.

Triangle Adept is an interesting suggestion I have not thought about. Let's take a look at what TA doe vs Fury or LaD

+It makes him do 40% more damage and take 40% less from both Blue and Colorless.

+It makes up for a lot of his weak defense vs bow users and gives him more survivability

-But it also gives up the extra speed from Fury or LaD so he can't double as many units, so that takes him away from being a doubling mage.

-It also makes him not very effective against swords and very weak to red mages (but at least Tharja won't double him with her Duelist Blow if he has Eirika buffs), so I'd still need someone else on the team to deal with red mages.

For a moment I thought, why not just have Bowbreaker for colorless? Get hit only once, attack them twice, one round any archer.
But TA has the added advantage of making him take barely any damage vs Reinhardt and Olwen - so what if they double Soren if they barely do any damage! That being said, he won't be fast enough to double and therefore one-round said archers which he might be able to do with Fury or Life and Death.

Also, TA3 requires 5* Selena but Fury 3 only requires 4* Hinata, so TA3 costs 20k more feathers vs Fury 3... unless TA2 is fine.

This is interesting, I'll have to think about Triangle Adept vs Fury...

As for the B skill:

Green Tomebreaker is good vs Nino... and that's it. And my Takumi and Jeorge can one-shot a Nino that isn't +HP or +Def, so I do have a way of dealing with most Ninos. It still might make the most sense with TA. With the Fury or LaD build, Soren would be fast enough to double green mages other than Nino though. So Green Tomebreaker basically lets Soren take out Nino. The question is, do I actually need that, or would Takumi or Jeorge suffice against Nino?

Blue Tomebreaker is mostly for Olwen and Reinhardt, again my archers can one-shot most Lindes. But TA also covers those two. Olwen and Reinhardt I've found tend to be a much bigger problem for me than Nino, especially with their 3 movement. But Soren being a high Res green mage alone should solve that problem. Blue Tomebreaker would mainly serve to prevent them from doubling Soren. So it's a consideration with a Fury or LaD for A skill.

Bowbreaker lets Soren one-round an enemy archer, but he'll also take more damage doing it as compared to Triangle Adept. Bowbreaker 3 also takes a 5* Setsuna, who I do not have, wheras I hav 4* Henry's and FemRobins for the Tomebreakers.

So I should choose the A skill first, as the B skill may change depending on that.

Interesting stuff. I'll run some simulations and maybe try a few battles without skill inheritance to get a feel for how Soren does in the arena before deciding.

Edited by Xaos Steel Wing
Tomebreaker, not Tiebreaker

16 minutes ago, Xaos Steel Wing said:

Bowbreaker 3 also takes a 5* Setsuna, who I do not have, wheras I have 4* Henry's and FemRobins for the Tomebreakers.

So I should choose the A skill first, as the B skill may change depending on that.

Interesting stuff. I'll run some simulations and maybe try a few battles without skill inheritance to get a feel for how Soren does in the arena before deciding.

Quick correction: Setsuna maxes Bowbreaker as a 4*.

As for Triangle Adept, Lv. 2 should be fine, since there's a measly 5% difference between it and 3.

I managed to top my score at the last minute today which gave me 4775.  I forget if it was deathless or with one death.  It was good for just under the top 10K at 9385.

It seems that I always do best when I'm not even really trying, but just doing my last few freebie Swords at the beginning of the week.  Or maybe the teams on Sunday and Monday are just easier.  But I did manage to avoid the Lava map for the most part.

It's fun when I see Reinhardt and he suicides into Julia, and helps charge her Special for his troubles.

19 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

It seems that I always do best when I'm not even really trying

Are we related?

Congrats on the run. Time to see what this season has in store for the -Atk Legion.

2 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Are we related?

Congrats on the run. Time to see what this season has in store for the -Atk Legion.

It's funny that my teams have crappy natures most of the time, but I still can usually pull off a Deathless Streak.

For the longest time, I've had my core of -Atk Baby Tiki, Slokumi, and Slowlia.  Only Abel had a non-detrimental nature at -Def,+Res.  I then cycle in whichever bonus unit I have for the week, who is often -Atk.  I had a -Atk Faye, and a -Atk Bunmilla.  I think it was Jaffer before that, who amazingly had a good nature.

Imagine how well I would do, if my units were actually good.

Tangent, but an odd benfit, if you want to call it that, is that since my Julia gets doubled by everything, if I plan it right, she can charge her special up quicker.  It's nice being able to one-shot just about everything.

6 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Tfw you were too lazy to do calculations, and Spring Camilla one-shots your Ike from max HP

Hide contents

I've learned my lesson at least :/

That feeling when 4* Zephiel tanks tricked out Linde with 52 Atk. (Looks like you backed the wrong horse, sir.)

[The team I fought for that match was pretty interesting, multiple merged S!Xander and Eldigan backed by 2 non-merged mages with WoM. Probably would've lost if the battlefield hadn't been so easy to maneuver in.]

Edited by DehNutCase

On 4/30/2017 at 0:11 AM, Clogon said:

What B Skill did you give her?

She currently has Escape Route 1 because I have yet to pull another Henry.

Just now, Clogon said:

Has it been useful? If not, her Bounty skill will give you more points.

It's rare that she gets that low. But when she does, it's amazing.  She can assassinate something, and red units will chase her.  Then, she can warp to safety, leaving the enemy team scattered.

Need to upgrade it to Escape Route 3.

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

It's rare that she gets that low. But when she does, it's amazing.  She can assassinate something, and red units will chase her.  Then, she can warp to safety, leaving the enemy team scattered.

Need to upgrade it to Escape Route 3.

Yeah I have escape route on my Eirika whose job is to buff/tank random attack. Escape route is fun. I have Wings of Fury on my Reinhardt so where ever Eirika warps to, he follows. XD

Well, that took much longer than expected. Zephiel inflated my score to the point where I found myself hoping for lower scoring teams so I could actually win the matches.

Deathless run ended up with a final score of 4,790.

Edited by Korath88

Score of 4,814. I probably could have gotten a little higher, but I don't want to blow duel swords on surrendering until match ups with 690+ pop up (I usually get 686-88).

And can I just say, man this season is pretty brutal. I used Tharja/Cordelia/B Camilla/Ike, all with filled out skill inheritance builds. None of my units are merged. Meanwhile I ran into merged and whaled teams out the ass. Even an all-armor team of +2-5 merged Sheena/Hector/Effie/Zephiel with all members carrying distant counter/wary fighter/armor buff skill. (thank god Tharja and Camilla could still murder them anyway) Enemy units are regularly between +2-6.

I don't really understand why I run into so many merged units now, since it's not like they're merged and then have no inheritance skills to balance it out. I guess putting Ike on my team really must have boosted my rating up or something, although I'm not getting many points more than I did last week without him.

Finally got to the 1000 feather reward rank for total ranking on my second account! Well, I didn't have any defense wins for the 2nd week in a row, so it's still the same number of feathers as what I would have gotten if I had a Defense win normally, but still happy I bumped up a rank.

The new bonus units don't sit well with my team though, I have none from the Ike Focus and the closest I can use is a lv. 38 Hana or Clarine...

2 hours ago, Ledrert said:

Wha, I got a defense score in the last hours. Didn't have one when I was going to sleep. So, yay, 500 more feathers ! o/

I randomly got a defense win too. I'll gladly take those 500 feathers.

Deathless run of 4706 this season. Using 5* chrom, 4* robin, 5* Julia and 5* Clarine who was level 36. Chrom was pretty clutch, i pulled 2 hectors yesterday so i gave chrom distant counter and vantage, one shotting mages was a blast. Clarine wasn't too bad either she even picked up some kills