Glade, the least popular Fire Emblem character

Jotari

So Glade was the ignominious character to come absolutely last place in the popularity poll with just 17 votes.

https://events.fire-emblem-heroes.com/vote/result?overall=301

So let's show the guy some love by relating times he was usefu...wait who is he again?

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Glade

Ah. Thracia. Well that's hardly surprising. It did have a pretty large cast with extremely little dialogue and no remakes to introduce the characters to a new audience. Oh wait, this is the guy who defended Tahra alongside a bunch of generics. Can't say I ever used him again afterwards but I remember him being quite the bro in that chapter. So share your stories of how effective, ineffective or forgettable Glade is (is anyone here honestly one of the 17 people who voted for him?)

PS: I'll find it absolutely hilarious if Glade is so forgettable that no one bothers to reply to this thread. I'm also extremely surprised Bloom came second last considering how many more forgettable characters there are out there than him. I like Bloom, though I was one of the 106 people who voted for Reptor over him because monocle.

Edited by Jotari

Oh this dude. Never used him case Finn you know. 

It's funny how he actually has a pretty high position as Great General, and is also Finn's bestie.

TBH, I'm surprised he somehow got 17 votes.

5 minutes ago, Jotari said:

PS: I'll find it absolutely hilarious if Glade is so forgettable that no one bothers to reply to this thread. I'm also extremely surprised Bloom came second last considering how many more forgettable characters there are out there than him. I like Bloom, though I was one of the 106 people who voted for Reptor over him.

I think his lack of popularity is going to have more to do with the fact that only the most hardcore of FE fans are going to have played his game than any of his demerits.

1 minute ago, SalShich10N said:

I might be confusing him with someone, but doesn't he has leadership stars? He might be useful for that.

Yeah he has one.

All things considered, he actually is pretty good, just give him a scroll or two to increase some of his growths and he'll be fine. The only problem is his atrocious sword rank which is an E compared to his A in lances, so he is barely usable indoors.

3 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

I think his lack of popularity is going to have more to do with the fact that only the most hardcore of FE fans are going to have played his game than any of his demerits.

True but even then there's far more forgettable characters than Glade in Thracia. Like Ralf or Robert, the later of which doesn't' even have any speaking lines.

1 minute ago, SalShich10N said:

I might be confusing him with someone, but doesn't he has leadership stars? He might be useful for that.

Yeah, 1 according to the wiki.

Wow, Ralph got more than him? That's surprising. I don't know one bit why Ralph joined or who he is (as a character, that is--I know Ralph I just don't know Ralph)

I haven't really used him, but I have a positive impression of his character given the lines he does have (granted it's been a while since I read them) and his relations with Finn, at least. 

I'm sorry I worried you. But Selfina... I have led many young men to their deaths once again. I can't help but regret and wish that I had more power...  - Glade

So yeah, apparently he's married to that bow knight (whose three times more popular than him) who plays a suspiciously similar role in gameplay to him (though she has actual characters backing her up rather than Glade's cohorts of playable generics). And he even gives her the Hero Bow! The more I read about this guy the more I like him. I think his lack of popularity comes down to his name. Needs to be something more snappy. Like Galvin or Gladel.

Edited by Jotari

He protects Tahra in Chapter 13 so that you can get there in time, and gives the Brave Bow.

That alone makes him more relevant in Thracia 776 than more than a few characters. Even if he's inferior to Fin, he's still capable of being used and has a leadership star and is promoted unlike Fin in a game where Hero Proofs are pretty rare for most of the game. 

Poor guy (though I admit to not using him beyond Chapter 13).

I'm amazed he got less votes than Bloom, of all people, even if it was just by one. Poor guy. I've never gotten to the point in Thracia where he joins but he seems like he'd be a good option for when Finn gets hit by fatigue?

6 minutes ago, AzureSen said:

I'm amazed he got less votes than Bloom, of all people, even if it was just by one. Poor guy. I've never gotten to the point in Thracia where he joins but he seems like he'd be a good option for when Finn gets hit by fatigue?

Are you saying you expected Bloom to be lower? Because as I said in the OP, I'm pretty surprised Bloom is at rock bottom considering how he has a much larger focus in the story compared to characters like all those Verdane princes or the subs that a lot of players won't even see. I expected the bottom rungs of the ladder to be filled with characters I couldn't recognize at all, not someone as noteworthy as Bloom.

Edited by Jotari

10 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Are you saying you expected Bloom to be lower? Because as I said in the OP, I'm pretty surprised Bloom is at rock bottom considering how he has a much larger focus in the story compared to characters like all those Verdane princes or the subs that a lot of players won't even see. I expected the bottom rungs of the ladder to be filled with characters I couldn't recognize at all, not someone as noteworthy as Bloom.

I expected at least one of the more morally reprehensible characters with little to no redeeming traits and no memorable factors like Bloom to be at the very bottom, yes. The fact that he's plot relevant is irrelevant in a popularity contest; Bloom is a run of the mill FE villain in a game filled with much more interesting and memorable villains. He's not as over-the-top evil as Hilda, Langobalt or Reptor, not as competent as Manfroy, not as sympathetic as Ishtar, Arion, and arguably Alvis and Aida and not as charismatic as Travant. (I will admit that even some of the no-name villains from Genealogy he ranked behind is a little baffling, but I still would have expected them to be on the same rung as Bloom, not below him.)

Thracia is my favorite game in the franchise, and even I took a second to wonder who the hell Glade is. There's a section of the game where they just throw horse units at you, and I think Glade caps it off. 

Plus, ironically, coming hot off the heels of FE4(Aka Horse Emblem), any horse unit in FE5 that doesn't use swords by default is sketchy to use. At any moment, you could be playing an indoor map, and suddenly your horse unit loses the one thing it had going for it(Horses), and if they're not a Free Knight, they'll get nerfed and forced to use a weapon they suck with. 

All adds together to make... Dolf? Gavin? Dingle? I've already forgotten his name, a very forgettable unit. 

That said, he's actually not that bad, and it's odd that he's at the bottom, and not one of the his 4 horse unit subordinates who all join at once, who are all arguably worse. I guess the extra few chapters you get with them leave a bigger impression. 

Edited by Slumber

Glade has less votes then Conomore? Must be the stache.

Anyway, Glade is hardly MVP material but he comes with high enough bases to be a solid contributor for any outdoor map. And having a leadership star allows him to make everyone else perform better simply by being deployed. His low luck makes him susceptible to critical hits but that can easily fixed by giving him any scroll.

Edited by BrightBow

It's a shame he only got 17 votes, I think he's great as a unit and character, it takes a lot of courage to stop an oncoming army by parking yourself at the gate. Even though the gate granted a huge defensive bonus, but still.

4 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Anyway, Glade is hardly MVP material

Personal experience means everything.

15 minutes ago, Fei Mao said:

It's a shame he only got 17 votes, I think he's great as a unit and character, it takes a lot of courage to stop an oncoming army by parking yourself at the gate. Even though the gate granted a huge defensive bonus, but still.

:')

As for me there exist less memorable characters in FE than Glade.

He fulfills an important role in one chapter at least, the chapter he joins.

Some other characters from FE5 like Trewd or Ralph are less memorable than him because they never play a role. (haven't even recruited Trewd in my FE5 runs yet because he's so meaningless)

SHOUT OUT TO THE 268 OF YOU WHO CHOSE BORD

:KnollRoll:                      :lol:                       :KnollRoll:

Edited by Tuvy

1 hour ago, Water Mage said:

Now I wanna read fanfiction of him. I swear there was one about his epic bromance with Finn.

I for one really hope his absolute lack of popularity leads to a major popularity rise for him. He kind of deserves it.

1 hour ago, Magilou said:

As for me there exist less memorable characters in FE than Glade.

He fulfills an important role in one chapter at least, the chapter he joins.

Some other characters from FE5 like Trewd or Ralph are less memorable than him because they never play a role. (haven't even recruited Trewd in my FE5 runs yet because he's so meaningless)

I think that kind of makes it even funnier. He's not even noticeably unnoteworthy like some other characters.

13 minutes ago, Elieson said:

Oh hey I voted for Reptor too!

Also, i haven't even played fe5 and i know of Glade!

Only 100 people respected the monocle. Honestly I find Bloom to be a much better character than Reptor due to higher level of nuance they give him but silly as it may seem, the monocle holds a lot of sway.