Should a remake of Blazing Blade happen?

Harvey

Should Blazing Blade have a remake?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. A remake of Blazing Blade?

12 hours ago, Locke087 said:

One Translation: fix the translation FE 7's translation is rough around the edges it contains quite a few errors it would be nice to see it polished up a bit.

What errors does it have? As far as I can tell, there wasn't that much of mistranslation atleast on my first playthrough.

Two Supports: make supports the less of a pain to get in game, their don't need to be more supports just make them less of a pain to get in game.

isn't it possible to use the arena abuse technique to get the supports? Plus there's Lyn's mode...

Three Difficulty: remove the difficulty locks and include a higher difficulty mode for all campaigns (I would love to play a Lyn actually hard mode,  and for people to stop complaining about the difficulty even though it's the hardest of the easy FE games).  There's also some errors like in the defend chapters reinforcements will stop coming which makes since in lower difficulties but would be good to add to higher ones. The requirements for 19xx could be toned down a notch but I'd be afraid that they would mess with the other Gaidens which are perfectly fine.  

Mostly agree here. The process of getting some gaiden chapters are a bit cryptic and time consuming

but are still pretty fun and nowhere as tedious as say...oh idk, FE6?

But I don't think 19xx should be toned down cause that is the main reward the game gives you atleast that's what I'm assuming that it is the real reward.

Four Updates:  they could update the music, GBA music is nice and all but could be improved quite a bit, and regardless of intelligence system messing up the remake I would enjoy a remastered soundtrack for the game quite a bit.

If they do a remake, its obviously going to be updated...adding stereo sound as well.

The visuals have aged well but could still be updated it be really awesome if they didn't make it a 3-D style and chose to do it as stylized updated 2-D style so they could preserve the animations, but I wouldn't mind them going all out in 3-D.

Bu-but dood, those animations would not feel the same!

There's also various convenience updates they could make to menus and so forth, FE 7 menus are pretty good but they're not as good as the 3DS entries and the menus are constantly improving over the games so those would definitely be nice.

The reason why the 3DS menus are better than FE7 is because the menus make good use of the dual screen gaming. You can't compare the menus on the 3DS and the menus on FE7 because FE7 was stuck with one screen unlike Awakening, Fates and Echoes which have dual screen interface.

Edited by Harvey

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Harvey said:

What errors does it have? As far as I can tell, there wasn't that much of mistranslation atleast on my first playthrough.

You wouldn't be able to see it on a first run, but the most famous example is Nergal's deathquote if you got 19xx on Hector mode.  He's supposed to say "Aenir" (his wife's name) but he says "Quintessence" instead.  Their Japanese names are pretty similar.

isn't it possible to use the arena abuse technique to get the supports? Plus there's Lyn's mode...

Supports do not build in Lyn mode, nor do they have anything to do with arenas.  You can spend turns after the foe is routed standing around, though.

Mostly agree here. The process of getting some gaiden chapters are a bit cryptic and time consuming

but are still pretty fun and nowhere as tedious as say...oh idk, FE6?

But I don't think 19xx should be toned down cause that is the main reward the game gives you atleast that's what I'm assuming that it is the real reward.

FE6's gaiden requirements aren't tedious, they encourage you to go faster, with the exception of two of them (8x and 16x).  And even then, the latter also encourages quick play due to Douglas's AI.

19xx's requirements though?  That is tedious, because it involves sitting around grinding Nils in Lyn mode.  It forces the player to slow down.

2 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

FE6's gaiden requirements aren't tedious, they encourage you to go faster, with the exception of two of them (8x and 16x).  And even then, the latter also encourages quick play due to Douglas's AI.

19xx's requirements though?  That is tedious, because it involves sitting around grinding Nils in Lyn mode.  It forces the player to slow down.

You just love to defend this game a lot don't you? I don't mind your love to FE6 but this is going far enough as it is..

Let's be frank here, FE6 has a lot of crap that forces the player to do in so many wrong ways. What you find easy to do isn't the same for the others. The criticism that FE6 has received has been fixed for FE7 and one of which is it having polished mechanics. Even if Eliwood/Hector promotes late, you get two other lords who you can promote fast and max them pretty easily unlike Roy whose promotion is so damn late and does nothing but giving him the use of the Binding Blade.

Comparing the atrocity that FE6 forces the player to get all the divine weapons inorder to not just get the best ending, but to unlock further chapters as well and 19xx which is a highly optional chapter and doesn't hinder the game experience in any way is more tedious than the former is just plain stupid to think. Even if FE6 not tedious to play, the unpolished mechanics make the experience just unenjoyable and not fun at all unlike FE7 which is the opposite. And I repeat, you find it fun, but others simply won't.

It also doesn't help that the characters in FE6 are boring majority of the times. Atleast FE7 has fun characters particularly the main lords.

So yeah, if you really love FE6 THAT much, good for you. But don't make a claim that its a cakewalk and expect others to agree with you in that statement because quite frankly, you can't please everyone.

Anyways I don't want to go way off topic over this one and just stick to continuing the main topic here.

Edited by Harvey

1 minute ago, Harvey said:

You just love to defend this game a lot don't you? I don't mind your love to FE6 but this is going far enough as it is..

I defend it because I think your criticism makes no sense, or is hypocritical.

2 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Let's be frank here, FE6 has a lot of crap that forces the player to do in so many wrong ways. What you find easy to do isn't the same for the others. The criticism that FE6 has received has been fixed for FE7 and one of which is it having polished mechanics. Even if Eliwood/Hector promotes late, you get two other lords who you can promote fast and max them pretty easily unlike Roy whose promotion is so damn late and does nothing but giving him the use of the Binding Blade.

Roy can quite easily hold his own after he promotes, simply because his weapon and promotion gains are just that good.  Like with Eliwood/Hector, the problem is a mid game slump that he's hardly the only lord guilty of.  And Eliwood's regalia is much worse than Roy's, while Hector's while not as bad is still inferior.

9 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Comparing the atrocity that FE6 forces the player to get all the divine weapons inorder to not just get the best ending, but to unlock further chapters as well and 19xx which is a highly optional chapter and doesn't hinder the game experience in any way is more tedious than the former is just plain stupid to think. Even if FE6 not tedious to play, the unpolished mechanics make the experience just unenjoyable and not fun at all unlike FE7 which is the opposite. And I repeat, you find it fun, but others simply won't.

I don't think you know what tedious means.

fec86b9df7.png

FE6's gaiden requisites don't fall under this at all, while grinding Nils to level 7 (for 19xx) is repetitive, uneventful, and simply boring.  You can also possibly throw in the requisite for 22x/23x, if you choose to get to the 700 EXP requirement by dance grinding Ninian (which is the most reliable way I can think of to do that).

Why shouldn't the game reward you with content for playing better?  I fail to see how that's stupid.  

14 minutes ago, Harvey said:

It also doesn't help that the characters in FE6 are boring majority of the times. Atleast FE7 has fun characters particularly the main lords.

Opinions, and irrelevant to the gaiden requisites.

15 minutes ago, Harvey said:

So yeah, if you really love FE6 THAT much, good for you. But don't make a claim that its a cakewalk and expect others to enjoy the game as much as you because that is simply never going to happen.

It has more to do with how ridiculous and nonsensical your claims are.  This is a medium of discussion, if you don't want people to criticize your reasoning then don't post.

23 minutes ago, Harvey said:

So yeah, if you really love FE6 THAT much, good for you. But don't make a claim that its a cakewalk and expect others to agree with you in that statement because quite frankly, you can't please everyone.

Anyways I don't want to go way off topic over this one and just stick to continuing the main topic here.

There's nothing wrong with defending a game you like and you can't "go too far", maybe you should stop letting your hate of FE6 from stopping others who like it from defending it.

FE6 isn't a perfectly polished game, yes, but FE7 is not a flawless experience either, so let's stop acting like it's perfect compared to FE6, hm?

Regardless of your opinion on FE6 and needing to complete the Gaiden chapters to get the best ending, that isn't even what was brought up.
FE6's gaiden requirements are not tedious, and I would say the exact opposite, most only require you to actually play the game and not be slow. The exact opposite of tedium, and the requirement of 19xx requires you to stop what you're doing, and SLOW, DOWN, DELIBERATELY. Which is what tedious is.
Do you even know what the word means?

I happen to hate most of FE7's cast, so I guess I don't agree with your opinion, which is what it is, an opinion.

So yeah, if you really hate FE6 THAT much, good for you. But don't make a claim that it's awful and expect others to agree with you in that statement because quite frankly, not everyone is going to agree with you.

Did you happen to think your topics wouldn't go off topic if you didn't take every moment to go out of your way to disagree with someone's opinion?

Edited by Sophie

Ok....I'm just going to pretend this never happened and just move on from the discussion....

So from the results that I saw on the poll, and its a 50-50 vote. Guess it doesn't matter whether this game gets a remake or not.

Blazing Blade remake is kinda optional, because the game is fine as it is but i'd love to see the game's characters on a better hardware (plus one or two new characters that can add more depth into the story and plot is nice to see) . And yes, Binding Blade deserve a remake (and an official english translation for the game)

7 hours ago, Harvey said:

Glac already covered this but here is a comprehensive list of them if your curious https://serenesforest.net/general/localisation-changes/issues/

Glac and Sophie already kindly responded to the rest your points for me so I will just cover this little bit.

7 hours ago, Harvey said:

If they do a remake, its obviously going to be updated...adding stereo sound as well.

Bu-but dood, those animations would not feel the same!

The reason why the 3DS menus are better than FE7 is because the menus make good use of the dual screen gaming. You can't compare the menus on the 3DS and the menus on FE7 because FE7 was stuck with one screen unlike Awakening, Fates and Echoes which have dual screen interface.

While yes it is obvious I would love the crap out of a remaster soundtrack for FE 7 and for the art changes imagine a art style something like Ori and the Blind Forest or Shantae: Half Genie Hero applied to the game, a nice clean 2D art style it would look awesome, the animations could stay in all their glory, and it would be cheaper to make.

The FE 9 and 10 menus are also better then the GBA games and there many improvements to menus in the 3DS games that have nothing to do with duel screens or can be replicated without them, people give way to much credit to the duel screens. The menus can totally be improved and the improvements would awesome. 

Edited by Locke087

Echoes will show us most of what we'd need to know about how IS plans to handle remakes in terms of gameplay changes. But nah, FE7 is easy to get thanks to Wii U VC, and likely the cheapest to get physically between FE 7-10 by shopping online. Plus it holds up well enough that modern fire emblem players will enjoy it even if they don't finish it. The only major flaw of 7 that a remake could fix is the damned unskippable tutorials on your first playthrough of Lyn's story. Since Lyn hard mode is the same as normal minus the tutorials, they should just have a "do you want tutorials?" prompt. This can also give them an opportunity to make an actual Lyn hard mode, but I can't imagine it being engaging with such simple maps

I would definitely be down for a FE6/7 double remake. But there aren't a lot of pairings in 7 that result in 6 characters, and I wouldn't want to see characters rewritten to have kids with new people, unless it resulted in current 6 characters being substitutes. Let's be real, most of those guys are trash anyway. Maybe expand on gaiden chapters for 6 to recruit older, weathered versions of our 7 characters? A straight remake of the two games with rebalanced gameplay would be more than enough for me.

47 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

Let's be real, most of those guys are trash anyway.

Lilina, Lugh, Sue, and Raigh are all perfectly serviceable, last I checked...  Roy's only real problem is promo time and Wolt's just meh as a whole, but usable.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:05 AM, Harvey said:

Ok so a lot would like a remake of Blazing Blade...and honestly, I don't know why its needed since its perfect the way it is.

Sure, some additional supports can be added like how lacking Raven's supports are considering that he had a revenge plot on Hector but that didn't work out..and the same for Sain not having support with Lyn.

But besides adding more supports, what else can happen other than forcing Merlinus on your side(this being optional btw)?

I don't know that we need to add a support just so Sain can get shot down by Lyn.

I would be all for a remake with better graphics/music, and an updated interface, but I agree that higher priority should be given to games which haven't yet enjoyed an international release.  Also, I really wish the Virtual Console release had been on 3DS, so it'd be easier to take it on the go...

I'm going to be ever the optimist here.

I'd really like to see a remake happen, but more ideally, I'd like 7 and 6 to be remade back-to-back.  That way the inconsistencies between the games could get ironed out, various other errors could be fixed, and FE 6 would finally get an international release.  Plus updated art and graphics.  Blazing Blade wasn't my favorite Fire Emblem, but that would make me so happy to see.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I'm just gonna say it. Given that I've just beated the game. Yes, I think both Blazing Sword & Binding Blade should be remade together.

While I've never touched Binding Blade, I personally think the Blazing Sword hasn't aged well as people are suggesting.

Without nagging on too much I'll do my best (ha memes:P:) to summarize my issues with the game.

Supporting system needs to be desperately remade, have the option to choose either Eliwood's & Hector's from the get go, get rid of the forced tutorial in Lyn's story, have the option to buy items before missions & not during mission, & finally have characters getting damage animations.

I would also like if the tactician/avatar could playable as well.

On 2/17/2017 at 0:10 PM, Locke087 said:

Two Supports: make supports the less of a pain to get in game, their don't need to be more supports just make them less of a pain to get in game.

I've been playing FE7 for the first time, coming from Fates, and I find FE7 has aged really well and this is so far my only real complaint with the game. I'm on chapter 25 and I've unlocked a grand total of 5 supports. 

Other than that, I concur with most people here that it doesn't really need a remake, not at this stage. And I appreciate that its available on the VC (which is how I'm playing it). The in-game art is good, the combat is fine (and very familiar) and the game is easy enough that I don't feel as if the lack of casual mode is a problem, even for inexperienced players.

On 3/9/2017 at 0:27 PM, Spoiler Alert said:

I'm going to be ever the optimist here.

I'd really like to see a remake happen, but more ideally, I'd like 7 and 6 to be remade back-to-back.  That way the inconsistencies between the games could get ironed out, various other errors could be fixed, and FE 6 would finally get an international release.  Plus updated art and graphics.  Blazing Blade wasn't my favorite Fire Emblem, but that would make me so happy to see.

This would be cool, however.

I love FE7, but I feel like it could use a remake… It's excellent, but there are couple things left unexplored.

-There's the obvious, fixing mistranslations and making FE6 compatible with it

-Modernizing Dancers/Bards so they could wield weapons. I know do the two you get can’t for story reasons, but it just seems odd when almost every other incarnation the class can fight offensively (I'm counting the dark magic glitch here as being able to fight, even if that was unintentional). Also noteworthy because the Heroes incarnations of the characters (or least one of them) can fight. So if the remake comes out after Heroes, people will be expecting those two characters to be able to be used offensively…

-Expand Lyn Mode into a full story, and add extra chapters into Eliwood and Hector to compensate. It just seems so odd that we got all these chapters and development for Eliwood and Hector, but not nearly as much for Lyn…

-Something more about Kishuna. He seems like an interesting character, but everything about him is either implied or told in flashbacks of hard-to-find chapters… And we don't even know why he had the powers he did if it made him useless to Nergal…

-Chapter 19xx needs to have its requirements reworked. Grinding Nils up isn't that bad, but trying to defeat Kishuna is (especially bad because there's a turn requirement in Hector Mode, on top of the fact that you only have one turn to beat him)

-Speaking of Nergal, I wish there was an easier way to access his past, or some alternate way of doing it. His entire character story is fascinating and tragic, yet most players won't be dedicated enough to see it. It's really a shame… Also, I wonder if it's possible to get more about Aenir. What was it like living before the Scouring? How did she die? And how did Nergal marry her in the first place? Was it common back then, or were there some things that happened as a consequence? Unfortunately, with the current story, will never know, but a remake could expand on that.

-The rest of my post is spoilers for late game story, so it is tagged.

Spoiler

-There's two deaths I would want erased. One of them is Leila’s, mainly because she was going to be playable initially, and I would've liked to see how she differed from Matthew in terms of play style.

The other one is Ninian’s, simply because the whole thing is nonsensical. It just boils down to “oh, the dragon slaying sword is controlling me. Oh ****, Ninian’s dead!” I know it's supposed be shocking, but it just feels like it's coming out of nowhere. There's also the problem of her resurrection, mainly because resurrection hasn't even been mentioned as being possible before that point.

-On the subject of the dragons, I would like to know a bit more about the world they fled to. A main plot point of the game is about making sure Dragons don't come from this world, and making sure the Gate is closed, yet we hear almost nothing about it. I would think if the dragons coming back is so important, we would at least know something.

-Finally, I feel like something should be done with the S-ranked weapons… They're just random drops in the final chapter, which is a bit jarring for series that usually has a lot of lore surrounding its strongest weapons… Not to mention, gameplay wise, it makes them almost useless because most players will already have their final team built up, there's only one battle after you get them, you can beat it without them, and there's really nothing to do after that last battle concludes… Introduce them earlier and have some lore surrounding them…

Failing that, rework the part where Athos says it would take too much time to gather the legendary weapons… One way would be instead to present the player a choice of going to the areas with the legendary weapons, or simply obtain the regular S-ranked ones. There could also be a consequence for going the other path (the one with all the legendary weapons), such as enemies being tougher from there on out, or some sort of time limit.

On 3/28/2017 at 4:32 AM, Zangetsu said:

have the option to buy items before missions & not during mission

I actually like how you can't purchase things between missions like you can in FE6 Normal or FE8.

It makes Weapon Durability feel more relevant and an actual consideration, since you can be going for several chapters without a shop.

Though in FE6/8 you could only buy basic equipment during battle preparations, and iirc doing so will inflate the price a bit.

Jugdral needs a double remake first!

Also, I'll say no to more characters in FE6- the cast is already large enough. Instead fix the lack of balance in that game (I suggest giving Gwendolyn wings and Fimbulvetr). The game as a whole seems the crudest of the GBA FEs (which makes sense- it came first).

Delete the Nils level requirement on 19xx- it is utterly tedious. The reasoning behind it I guess is that Nils's being at level 7 suggests he has gained increased stamina through experience, which Ninian also benefits from. And which thus allows her to run away from everyone else- causing 19xx.

I'll concur with another statement made above: make it more possible to piece together Nergal's background. By this, I mean give us hints as to how Nergal then completely forgot he had kids and never mentioned them to Athos when they were friends. That'll fill in the one major void in our comprehension of his past. Is it because he knew they would have crossed through the Dragon's Gate by the time he returned, and with Aenir dead (it'd be also nice if they could tell us whether it was Man or Nature which killed her), he'd never be able to see them again? Or did the grief of Aenir's death cause him to subconsciously repress his wife and kids?

You know, the more I think on Nergal, the more I think of him as a shell of a former human being. The main villain is FE7 is utterly hollow inside, he has no depth, no real conviction. He is but a victim infected with the impersonal darkness's corrupting power and hardly a truly active participant in causing the events of FE7. Nergal is but the scion of a force of nature which is the real villain- darkness. You can't say the same of the generic Demon King or Manfroy. You can of Gharnef, but to be fair he came from an earlier time when a more generic story was more acceptable in FE. Though Nergal is more pitiable than Gharnef.

59 minutes ago, wheelsonfire said:

-Expand Lyn Mode into a full story, and add extra chapters into Eliwood and Hector to compensate. It just seems so odd that we got all these chapters and development for Eliwood and Hector, but not nearly as much for Lyn…

-Something more about Kishuna. He seems like an interesting character, but everything about him is either implied or told in flashbacks of hard-to-find chapters… And we don't even know why he had the powers he did if it made him useless to Nergal…

-Speaking of Nergal, I wish there was an easier way to access his past, or some alternate way of doing it. His entire character story is fascinating and tragic, yet most players won't be dedicated enough to see it. It's really a shame… Also, I wonder if it's possible to get more about Aenir. What was it like living before the Scouring? How did she die? And how did Nergal marry her in the first place? Was it common back then, or were there some things that happened as a consequence? Unfortunately, with the current story, will never know, but a remake could expand on that.

I think more chapters to the main stories would be nice, as would more information about Kishuna, Nergal, etc.  It may even make for a good couple of DLC chapters to flesh out more of Nergal's story (though he should still get a bit more in-game, too).

I'm trying to figure out if they should make any changes to Mark.  I actually rather like how they implemented him (by not showing him on the screen, the characters are actually turning to you, which helps draw the player in), and seeing how other avatars have been implemented, I'm not sure I would trust them to tweak him without his becoming a show-stealing annoyance.  On the other hand, it may be nice to be able to talk to some of the characters in short, non-support conversations where you get to choose your responses.

22 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Jugdral needs a double remake first!

No, it doesn't.

I'd leave it at that, but since people would get snippy with me. Jugdral needs no remake at this point in time. It is irrelevant to the story that we have gotten over here in the west. As in completely, utterly and totally irrelevant. We started with FE7, which was a prequel to FE6, so if anything, FE6 needs the remake WAY more than FE 4 or FE5 and if you're remaking FE6, why not also remake FE7 and make it a double package.

A lot of people say that they don't care about story in Fire Emblem when all I hear praised about FE4 is the story. If that's the case, then you would see the validity in an Elibe remake over any Jugdral remake, on and the validity of releasing New Mystery over here, even if only as a port before Jugdral is even touched for a remake.

Whilst I do not believe FE7 should be remade, when they get to the FE6 remake, they should do FE7 as well and slap them together as the Elibe duology.

^ That sounds rather unfair, going purely off poll of Fire Emblem Heroes the Jugdral saga didn't do nearly as well as other NES titles. Do you same thought as for the Gaiden remake as well?

On 30/3/2017 at 11:06 AM, Commander Xelon said:

No, it doesn't.

I'd leave it at that, but since people would get snippy with me. Jugdral needs no remake at this point in time. It is irrelevant to the story that we have gotten over here in the west. As in completely, utterly and totally irrelevant. We started with FE7, which was a prequel to FE6, so if anything, FE6 needs the remake WAY more than FE 4 or FE5 and if you're remaking FE6, why not also remake FE7 and make it a double package.

The point of a Judgral remake is to expose it to more audiences, Jugdral is "irrelevant" because IS insists of burying them under the rug. The Jugdral games have a lot of interesting and good qualities to be worth updating and shown. I would love FE6 updated and chances are they are already doing that because Heroes gives a lot of evidence, so I am more interested in Jugdral remakes because they have no exposure. FE6 also has a serviceable fan translation and it is not graphically or mechanically outdated.