Anyone Wish there was a 'My Unit/Corrin' in Heroes?

SaMaster14

Yes I know there is a Corrin character (I have a female blue dragon Corrin), but does anyone wish you could make your own unit like in the DS games (where you could pick the type, boon/bane, etc)? 

Would be a nice way to guarantee a 5* at the start of the game 

Not at all, I'm actually glad they didn't. In the past two games there's been a lot of focus on the avatar, and while I get that some people like that, that's not what this game is about. In all honesty, it's not that fun of a game, but the memories it brings back and the ability to play with so many characters from past games is what makes it worth playing, at least from my point of view. Because of that I think a customizable character would detract from the game more than it would add to it.

No, it wouldn't be a good idea from the business side of view because a guaranteed 5* unit would give less reason for people to spend money on orbs. It's the same reason as for why Alphonse, Sharena and Anna start so weak.

Hm, yes and no.

Yes because I'd just like to customize what my summoner looks like. Not seeing their face doesn't impact the gameplay/my playing experience in any way, but I like that sort of thing. I'm fine without it, though.

No because I don't want them to be a usable unit. I like how the game is letting me use/learn about characters from games I haven't played before, and to get more invested in them (and thus the older games). Giving the summoner gameplay viability would take away from the actual heroes we're meant to be using (because a spot for arena battles would, probably, be for the avatar - especially accounting for what skills/type/weapon they'd have)...plus it risks throwing balance out the window (especially if they're a guaranteed 5*).

9 minutes ago, Luna of Dragonblood said:

Hm, yes and no.

Yes because I'd just like to customize what my summoner looks like. Not seeing their face doesn't impact the gameplay/my playing experience in any way, but I like that sort of thing. I'm fine without it, though.

No because I don't want them to be a usable unit. I like how the game is letting me use/learn about characters from games I haven't played before, and to get more invested in them (and thus the older games). Giving the summoner gameplay viability would take away from the actual heroes we're meant to be using (because a spot for arena battles would, probably, be for the avatar - especially accounting for what skills/type/weapon they'd have)...plus it risks throwing balance out the window (especially if they're a guaranteed 5*).

I think it could be nice introduce 1 leadership skill for your summoner....For example all your units gain +1 speed or +3 hp staff recover for healers...and you have to choose just one skill to aid your team... but just that and maybe change his appearance...

At most, customize the avatar's face/head for use as a profile image such as for friend lists and such. Otherwise, there' really no need as Kiran's doing fine as a new "Mark" and sometimes, giving more customization options just generates more user complaints simply because the user may not find a customization option he/she wants - just look what happened to Corrin (especially among players who don't give a damn about Fates' story).

Edited by Roflolxp54

Not particularly. I am fairly satisfied with "Kiran" being a new "Mark" save for the fact that character worshipping goes too far again (5* 40, all of a sudden Kiran is the best person ever!). Mark in Blazing Sword had his moments, but I don't think they went as far that "everybody loves Mark!" for no good reason.

I remember Lyn (and Eliwood and Hector) addressing Mark directly on occasions and also have their "special moments" with the Avatar, but this happens at the end of their respective stories where it makes sense considering Mark is the tactician of the group and they are parting ways. I also remember Matthew and a few other characters talking to Mark, but (unless my red-tinted glasses are blinding me), most of their dialogue made sense in the context of the setting instead of professing how much Mark means to them all the time. I even got sidetracked while writing this post reading some of the script of Blazing Sword again and how much I enjoyed its writing compared to the modern installments. I should give it another playthrough...

Back on topic, I wouldn't mind seeing some customizable options for a profile picture of some sort or simple options such as gender and birthday, but I'm fine that Kiran is not a playable character. I would prefer if Kiran remains unplayable, I had enough playable Avatars for a while.

I mean, it would have been nice but then they wouldn't be able to break the fourth wall so effectively ;) Being summoned from our world means we can't fight, unless you took like fencing and archery classes or something.

On 2/17/2017 at 2:53 PM, Glaceon Mage said:

Sadly, they kept the Avatar praising.

Kiran is like Mark, irrelevant and overworshipped.

It'd kinda defeat the point if the player insert wasn't a Mark expy in this game though.

Huh. So Kiran is the default name? I did find it odd that so many arena peeps had the same name as me, I thought it was a bug. What were the chances that my one chosen name would be the same as the default... Time to see if I can change it so it won't be generic. 

1 minute ago, Kiran said:

Huh. So Kiran is the default name? I did find it odd that so many arena peeps had the same name as me, I thought it was a bug. What were the chances that my one chosen name would be the same as the default... Time to see if I can change it so it won't be generic. 

Yeah, the default name is Kiran.  

Name can be changed in Misc. -> FAQ/Etc. -> Change Nickname

2 hours ago, mewyeon said:

I mean, it would have been nice but then they wouldn't be able to break the fourth wall so effectively ;) Being summoned from our world means we can't fight, unless you took like fencing and archery classes or something.

As someone who actually took fencing, I have to say no way. Unless said person is literally the world's best at fencing or archery, they won't stand even the slightest chance against real warriors trying to really kill you. And even then, I'm not sure an expert can go against people trying to kill them.

On 17/2/2017 at 4:43 PM, Ryuke said:

No...

Then everyone would put him up on the arena and abuse.

Then it wouldnt be Fire Emblem.

It would be MyUnit and Friends.

Pretty much. 

If the last few FEs thought us anything, is that these things are recipe for disaster. So far, they've all been the best unit in the game.

22 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

Pretty much. 

If the last few FEs thought us anything, is that these things are recipe for disaster. So far, they've all been the best unit in the game.

My unit for Fates is fine ... simply cause he was pretty much your lord /main character.

MyU for Awakening isnt fine. Since Chrom is basically your lord (and Lucina as #2)

Nope.

As it is, I'm seeing people on Tumblr already essentially doing this for themselves anyway, like drawing themselves or their character in the summoner's outfit? Besides given the nature of the game's assets and everything it seems like that might be too complicated for a system where every character has a rigid set of abilities. Designing personal characters based off the game's skills and mechanics is fun (there's already a thread for that here), but I don't think incorporating it into gameplay is either necessary or feasible.

Interesting responses. I thought it would have gone the other way! (I started FE with Awakening and then played all three Fates games and loved them, but I don't really know the full history behind the series - which is why Heroes is cool since I can learn about older characters and story lines).

After reading the responses, I'm persuaded that having a "myunit" would be detrimental to the gameplay here. I do think it would be cool to create an avatar that CANNOT fight though (kinda like in PokemonGo, where you have your avatar next to your 'buddy' pokemon - in this case when appearing on Friend Lists and in the Area your Username would be next to your customized avatar's face next to your current Team Leader)