140+ Advanced Arena Battles of Advice/Experience

bluemochi

Hi All! So after exhausting lots of Dueling Crests, clearing out the Lunatic Arena Quests, and facing off against Takumigeddon teams and the like, I’ve had the “joy” of witnessing much of what the current Metagame is like, and I wanted to share my experience with it with all of you!

First and Foremost, I want to address what probably lingers in a lot of players’ minds every time they get a new 5-star or summon the hero that everyone’s been talking about and using. When it comes to your team, I’ve found that Rarity and Color type are the only things that are fundamentally important. Rarity, as we can all guess, because the hero’s stats are significantly variant between a 4-star and a 5-star version, and Color, because only by utilizing advantages can superior-stat units be taken down by underdog heroes. To address the topic of IVs, when it comes to the Arena, I’ve found that Bane and Boon are minor, and I’ve never run into a defense team that won purely because their Takumi had a higher stat than my own. Rather; PLACEMENT and PLANNING are absolutely king in the metagame, as a combination of proper Color Advantage and Unit Movement alone trump over any stat differences between a team.

Knowing When To Draw Out Another Unit: If a unit can take the attack of another (a Camilla taking a Robin's attack, Takumi OHKO countering a Camilla's attack, etc.), then doing so early in the battle gives you a huge advantage, since the enemy team starts off with one less unit.

Sacrificing a Unit to Eat Up Another Hero's Attack: There are some maps that split up your heroes from the beginning, causing an instant 2v2 or sometimes 1v1 confrontation. When this happens, it is important to not try and save every unit you can, because there are times when it is impossible. Rather, it is important to sometimes strike first, knowing the unit you send out will probably be destroyed by another nearby enemy. But that in turn provides an opportunity to prepare another one of your units that will be able to take out the second enemy unit.

Taking Full Advantage of The Terrain: Some maps will provide structures that, if not attacked, will force the AI enemy team to eat up a turn breaking them down. Others have bridges that melee units are forced to cross first before reaching your team, allowing ranged units to take free shots at them and weaken them down first. Knowing how to utilize the terrain, and taking advantage when the opportunity presents itself, are all part of the Placement and Planning process.

Additionally, it is EXTREMELY important that you identify “what counters what. Now this is relative, as often, with only few exceptions, there are always several ways to take down a commonly-used Arena hero. Nevertheless, with each enemy unit, some counters work much more effectively than others, and I’ve summarized all my findings in the below based on the heroes I’ve seen the most in the Arena. Keep in mind that these points are in no way meant to determine which heroes are “better” to others, as at the time of writing, we are only on our second Summoning Focus Pack (Family Bonds) and there are so many more heroes down the road, but rather, to help provide suggestions when choosing which heroes to use on your team and how to use them in the Arena.

The Most Commonly Used Arena Heroes:

Hector: I’ve seen a lot of Hectors in the Arena. And I mean, A LOT of Hectors. An enemy Hector should always be avoided by non-Red units, which is not entirely difficult due to his glaring weakness of one-space movement. On every Advanced team I’ve faced with a Hector, he has always ended up being the last unit faced, even with an Azura bolstering him every turn. My personal counter to Hector has always been Young Tiki, who can be placed within his attack range and who will, most of the time, 2x attack him for an instant OHKO, or finish him off easily within two turns. However, I’ve had similar results using other Red units like Roy, Cain, and even Fir, provided the Placement and Planning is right, and that the unit has enough HP to survive one of his counters.

Takumi: The infamous archer is countered primarily by Robins and Hectors; at the time of writing, there are no other particularly significant counters. A Robin, with his Colorless Advantage can place himself within attack range of a Takumi, eat up his 2x attack and retaliate with a bonfire, or another nearby unit, melee or ranged, can finish off the Robin-weakened Takumi. This will give the Robin an automatic Bonfire to keep, which can be used to pick off a subsequent Takumi for Takumigeddon teams. For those without Robins, Hectors work just as well, if not better, as his counterattacks absolutely annihilates Takumi, or a non-flier Melee unit, though he will deal significant counterattack damage. As a bonus mention, Linde, with her inhumanly high ATK, will always decimate a Takumi provided she can get in range.

Robin: An enemy Robin should never have any of your Red units in sight, because he will ALWAYS do solid damage not worth the melee follow-up. Common counters are of course, Hector, whose counter and advantage annihilates Robin, and Camilla, with higher movement than the Robin to always be an easy OHKO. Both of these can be placed within a Robin’s attack range without worrying about any potential repercussions.

Tiki/Young Tiki: With her monster ATK, it is important to use Blue units accordingly, as she will destroy pretty much everything else. Cordelias with their Brave Lances, Linde with her high Magic, and Effies with their monster defenses all work well. Robin’s work well to attack her from a distance, then following up with either another ranged attack (bows, magic, etc.) If she’s still standing, a melee unit of any kind will be able to finish her off, but do make sure that she is weakened enough for the final blow.

Tharja: Tharja deserves to be mentioned in a class of her own separate from the below mentioned Red Units like Tiki above her, as she deals HEAVY damage no matter who she’s up against. And yes, this means she is fully capable of taking down Robins, Takumis, and the like if not properly timed. Typically when facing a team with a Tharja, you never want to let her have the first attack as no matter who she is up against, she hits very hard. If a Robin attacks first, she can be finished off with a subsequent attack by anyone not Green. Nevertheless, she is like a Red version of Linde; keep your distance and strike with good timing.

Lyn/Roy/Marth/Cain/Other Red Units: All red units, unlike the variety shared by the Blue and Green units, tend to not fare well against Blue units of any kind. While Blue and Green have their countermeasures, such as Hectors and the like, every Red unit I’ve seen, with a select few exceptions like Tiki, will always be dealt significant damage by a Robin’s ranged attack or a Cordelia’s instant OHKO. While they are prevalent and WILL destroy most Green Units, there are a wide variety of Blue Units who are easily capable of OHKOing all of them provided the timing and range is right. If they don’t go down from one hit (often the case of a Robin with his sub-par speed), they can always be finished off with any subsequent attack (even by many Greens)

Abel/Effie/Cordelia: Pretty much the only Blue Lance Users you will ever see in the Arena right now (this is before Ephraim and subsequent heroes have been spread to the metagame, mind you). Countering them is easy enough; Abels and Cordelias don’t fare well at all against common counters like Camilla and Hector; these Green units can even be placed directly in their range and not worry about anything happening. To any unit not Green/Melee (which means Green Mages are also potentially threatened), they will deal a lot of damage, which is exacerbated by their high movement, so place and plan accordingly. For Effies, they share the Hector’s weakness; crippled movement. However, her defense also means that a Camilla will have to chip away at her a couple of turns, and will even have to run at times if the Effie has a high enough attack. She is prone to magic attacks, including a Blue Robin’s, so be sure you have either a Hector lying in wait for her or a Camilla with another ranged attacker nearby to finish her off.

EXCEPTIONS (OP UNITS):

There are particular units whom, in my experience, defy things like the Color/Weapon Triangle and unit counters. I have been able to maintain consistent 20+ streaks of Advanced Arena battles until I ran into teams built around one of these:

AZURA: The absolute bane of every team I’ve assembled and experimented with. Azura, as you can probably guess, is deadly not on her own (though she has decent stats as a Blue Lance), but is absolutely OP when used in conjunction with a unit with high ATK/standard movement. Common pairings are Azura/Takumi, Azura/Robin, etc. Because these units are effective against many types of heroes regardless of their color, the Arena AI will always use Azura to give these units a second attack, and they will always be willing to sacrifice the unit if need be, but at your expense of 2+ units. For that reason, when countering an Azura, you not only have to consider the range of each enemy hero, but also the ADDED range of each hero if they were to move an additional X number of spaces outside the original Danger Area. Because of the map’s limited size, this makes it very difficult to account for all contingencies. At the moment, a Camilla always works well to eliminate the Azura, but that’s only if a Sing-boosted Takumi doesn’t take her out first.

LINDE: Linde is the game’s premier “Glass Cannon”. For those using her, they will account for how easily she clears out virtually everything. This includes the commonly used Takumi, Robin, and all red units who get snuffed out like a candle no matter who they are. Even Hectors take a consistent beating before being able to counter her. Her weakness lies in her poor defense stat, which means a Camilla is capable of OHKOing her every time provided the placement is correct.

KAGERO: Quickly gaining notoriety as another OP hero, Kagero’s primary advantage comes from the fact that she has automatic advantage against infantry units, which allows her to defy a lot of the Color Triangle. This causes her to shred through Takumis and Robins, and pretty much anything else that walks on two feet. Luckily, that also means she is fragile against commonly-used mounted units, like Camilla, Abel, and the like, who will always have a Movement Advantage over her. Placement and Planning, once again, are always key.

As I've mentioned previously, what ultimately allows you to win against any combination of heroes is not just utilizing Color effectiveness, but rather, a combination of Triangle Advantage along with Placement and Planning. 

I hope this helps offer some insight to everyone experimenting with new units and teams from a PvP Metagame perspective. Be sure to share your experiences with certain units, and if you’ve discovered something amazing about newly-released heroes, be sure to let us know!

Capture.PNG

Azura and Kagero have been completely easy for me.

Kagero needs to approach you. Making her vulnerable for hit.

Azura ... well I got Raven and she couldnt do jack.

However... Takumi on the other hand... If that's someway I can remove the range off him. He's easy. Any 5* red unit can take out Hector. Effie seems to be a problem.

Edited by Ryuke

Tier list (as of 2/17/17)

The tier list should give a pretty good indicator on who to expect on an opposing Advanced Arena team (assuming you're running a high level team):

S+ tier: Lucina, Azura, Linde, Hector, Takumi

S tier: Ryoma, Marth, Eirika, Olivia, young Tiki, Effie, Sharena, Robin, Nowi, Kagero

A+ tier: Lyn, Roy, Chrom, Tharja, Lilina, adult Tiki, Catria, Cordelia, Ephraim, female Corrin, Camilla, Nino, Julia, Fae

12 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Tier list (as of 2/17/17)

The tier list should give a pretty good indicator on who to expect on an opposing Advanced Arena team (assuming you're running a high level team):

S+ tier: Lucina, Azura, Linde, Hector, Takumi

S tier: Ryoma, Marth, Eirika, Olivia, young Tiki, Effie, Sharena, Robin, Nowi, Kagero

A+ tier: Lyn, Roy, Chrom, Tharja, Lilina, adult Tiki, Catria, Cordelia, Ephraim, female Corrin, Camilla, Nino, Julia, Fae

At least they finally start using the 3-4* roll to their true potential. Compare to week 1 when they were all dump to B.

Edit: Considering NA received the release date similar if not the same day as JP... It feels weird that we havent had the NA opinion on tierlist.. like our own but we take the JP tier.

Edited by Ryuke

37 minutes ago, Elieson said:

You largely left commentary of Camilla out...are you saying she's not as commonly spotted?

Not particularly; she's my personal favorite unit, but she's becoming more and more uncommon among Arena battles. It's very common knowledge that Takumi and other bow users OHKO her.

39 minutes ago, Elieson said:

You largely left commentary of Camilla out...are you saying she's not as commonly spotted?

U never see Camilla in a defensive pvp team and if you do that is just freelo same with hector tbh the problem comes when you fighta takumi with +9 and a robin +8 I mean I win easily but I lose at least one unit when I fight that team because they just overpower me even if i have all 4 units still up. Of course this is when I have a high rating though

8 hours ago, Elieson said:

I've found Camilla is a good counter to the primary Takumi counters.

I have Camilla. With how the meta is right now, it can be very hard to use her. I'm likely to see all Red teams or teams with mostly Reds and a Takumi. It's just not her time. Keep using her though because she's a maxed out 5* and she's a bonus character. Though she kind of has to sit in the corner of the map

Currently experimenting with Marth after replacing Abel. Taken a hit on being able to hard counter Swords, but now Robin... sometimes has a chance to double, thanks to Spur Speed 3. Or just not get doubled. It's actually somewhat of a thing now. Before, pretty much any Takumi I saw doubled my -Spd Robin, so I would end up with upwards of 12 damage. Now Robin will never get doubled except by a boosted Takumi or a +Spd Takumi.

It's funny how -Def Marth and -Spd Robin cover each other with Spurs.

1 hour ago, Dual Dragons said:

I have Camilla. With how the meta is right now, it can be very hard to use her. I'm likely to see all Red teams or teams with mostly Reds and a Takumi. It's just not her time. Keep using her though because she's a maxed out 5* and she's a bonus character. Though she kind of has to sit in the corner of the map

Currently experimenting with Marth after replacing Abel. Taken a hit on being able to hard counter Swords, but now Robin... sometimes has a chance to double, thanks to Spur Speed 3. Or just not get doubled. It's actually somewhat of a thing now. Before, pretty much any Takumi I saw doubled my -Spd Robin, so I would end up with upwards of 12 damage. Now Robin will never get doubled except by a boosted Takumi or a +Spd Takumi.

It's funny how -Def Marth and -Spd Robin cover each other with Spurs.

My question is if I drop Camilla, is who will counter Robin and Kagero?  Takumi and Tiki/Lilina definitely not.  Abel can sort of counter, but Robin has high Def for a mage. 

My only other Green that might pass is Nino.  I suppose I could go without a Green, but I want some sort of way to counter Blues and Takumi counters.  Kagero v Kagero is a toss-up, as is Kagero v Robin.  It would be the same if I swapped in Robin.

Camilla is arrow and red weak, but she fills a pretty good role that no one else in my team can really do, so it's a matter of keeping her safe, until she can swoop in and do her job.

Just now, Rezzy said:

My question is if I drop Camilla, is who will counter Robin and Kagero?  Takumi and Tiki/Lilina definitely not.  Abel can sort of counter, but Robin has high Def for a mage. 

My only other Green that might pass is Nino.  I suppose I could go without a Green, but I want some sort of way to counter Blues and Takumi counters.  Kagero v Kagero is a toss-up, as is Kagero v Robin.  It would be the same if I swapped in Robin.

Camilla is arrow and red weak, but she fills a pretty good role that no one else in my team can really do, so it's a matter of keeping her safe, until she can swoop in and do her job.

I've been fine with a Robin v. Robin battle, myself. That or Marth pokes Robin to death.

Well, Camilla is a bonus character so I'd keep her if that's the focus. It's a toss-up between Camilla or Nino v. Robin since Camilla has obvious pros but Nino hits Robin where he's weakest (Res). Usually I don't worry about Robin tanking physical hits than I do magical.

My team likes to kill first since they will take a lot of damage if the opponent survives. Might be that we have different Camilla's but I can't rely on mine to tank too many hits (-HP) so she's either killing first or suicide Savage Blow in the most desperate times.

15 minutes ago, Dual Dragons said:

I've been fine with a Robin v. Robin battle, myself. That or Marth pokes Robin to death.

Well, Camilla is a bonus character so I'd keep her if that's the focus. It's a toss-up between Camilla or Nino v. Robin since Camilla has obvious pros but Nino hits Robin where he's weakest (Res). Usually I don't worry about Robin tanking physical hits than I do magical.

My team likes to kill first since they will take a lot of damage if the opponent survives. Might be that we have different Camilla's but I can't rely on mine to tank too many hits (-HP) so she's either killing first or suicide Savage Blow in the most desperate times.

My Camilla's actually -Atk, +Res.  She's pretty good at taking out Mages, and even if she doesn't ORKO them, she can shrug off a hit from Blue and Green Mages pretty easily and kill them the next round.

Just to add +ATK Lilina one shots most of the Takumi variants, with a Hone Attack buff it OHKOes all of them, it has been my premier way to kill Takumis without damaging my own or Roy so they can tank other units.

And just so you know +ATK Lilina can handle any non +SPD Robin.

Arena is somewhat fun because even things that are supposed to be a counter of other units can be dealt dependant on team composition or even things like boon and bane.

A good example is that Linde kills in a 1vs1 +SPD Takumi but if you buff your Takumi with a Passive(I use FCorrin or Lilina for this) it gets killed instead and you have a Revenge set up.

I think is important to know not only the general character matchup but also the set or teammates that can help or turn over it, since even some Robin variants lose to Takumi.

So what's your favourite team so far? At the moment I'm running Nowi, Azama, Cecilia and Lucina and haven't lost a single member in the past 20 or so matches. Interested in seeing more teams for ideas.

I haven't seen a Julia yet, who could easily be the bane of my team. I wonder why she isn't used as much yet?

Edited by NickV

5 hours ago, NickV said:

So what's your favourite team so far? At the moment I'm running Nowi, Azama, Cecilia and Lucina and haven't lost a single member in the past 20 or so matches. Interested in seeing more teams for ideas.

I haven't seen a Julia yet, who could easily be the bane of my team. I wonder why she isn't used as much yet?

I guess rerolling for a specific focus character won't be as common, since most people have a team they halfway like by now.

Want to add a few things:

Ryoma can also potentially one shot Takumi thanks to his high atk and speed to double Takumi. Doesn't work if Ryoma has speed bane unfortunately. Also, he needs to be spur/hone speed to double.neutral speed Takumi. But that's one more alternative I'd like to add to Takumi counter. Bonus point for irony, too.

Narcian works well whooping Azura, even the 3* one, because enemy Azura deals 0 damage to Narcian and may ORK Azura if his Lancebreaker is active . He is also able to handle Nowi and Effie, though probably not as well as Camilla. Haven't tried him against Linde and Robin.

Lyn can also become a pseudo Tiki slayer with her Sol Katti and Defiant Attack. First, you let Tiki attacks Lyn, and Lyn would double her and be left at half HP,  enough to activate Sol Katti's effect and Defiant Attack. If you equip Galeforce on Lyn, you can kill off Tiki since she'll be doubling her consecutively and will be able to do something else, like picking off another unit or retreat.

Nino and Julia is a Robin counter you can use, since Robin has low Res and will be doubled by Nino, or potentially one hitted by Julia.

Edited by pianime94

2 hours ago, pianime94 said:

Want to add a few things:

Ryoma can also potentially one shot Takumi thanks to his high atk and speed to double Takumi. Doesn't work if Ryoma has speed bane unfortunately. Also, he needs to be spur/hone speed to double.neutral speed Takumi. But that's one more alternative I'd like to add to Takumi counter. Bonus point for irony, too.

Narcian works well whooping Azura, even the 3* one, because enemy Azura deals 0 damage to Narcian and may ORK Azura if his Lancebreaker is active . He is also able to handle Nowi and Effie, though probably not as well as Camilla. Haven't tried him against Linde and Robin.

Lyn can also become a pseudo Tiki slayer with her Sol Katti and Defiant Attack. First, you let Tiki attacks Lyn, and Lyn would double her and be left at half HP,  enough to activate Sol Katti's effect and Defiant Attack. If you equip Galeforce on Lyn, you can kill off Tiki since she'll be doubling her consecutively and will be able to do something else, like picking off another unit or retreat.

Nino and Julia is a Robin counter you can use, since Robin has low Res and will be doubled by Nino, or potentially one hitted by Julia.

Ryoma cant beat a takumi unless he is up in his face cause if ryoma isnt then takumi gets a double on him cause of speed debuff

8 hours ago, Shiro said:

Ryoma cant beat a takumi unless he is up in his face cause if ryoma isnt then takumi gets a double on him cause of speed debuff

I don't play that way, but I shall count that as additional advice, I suppose (since I play like: hey Takumi, yer strong, right? come at me mano a mano->Takumi dead).

Oh yeah, Narcian with 23 Res takes 1 damage from Robin with 40 Atk. Pretty good if you don't have Camilla.

Edited by pianime94

Should mention Elise, Maria, Azama and Lissa as they pretty much break this game with their Gravity/Pain skills. Their jobs are to wear teams down for powerful units to finish them off. Takumi is a easy counter as you don't ever attack him on player phase if his Vengeance will activate after your strike. Linde is broken. Alfonse is broken. Alfonse gets insanely high attk along with Sol skills. He is best suited to killing the foe if he is able to KO them. Because his Speed isn't too good! I usually pair him up by Lyn thanks to her skill that gives adjacent characters more speed as they battle by her. Rally Speed helps him too since he only gets 25 speed in the end. Cherche can be good if she gets some speed support thanks to her very high Str and Def.

7 minutes ago, PuffPuff said:

Should mention Elise, Maria, Azama and Lissa as they pretty much break this game with their Gravity/Pain skills. Their jobs are to wear teams down for powerful units to finish them off. Takumi is a easy counter as you don't ever attack him on player phase if his Vengeance will activate after your strike. Linde is broken. Alfonse is broken. Alfonse gets insanely high attk along with Sol skills. He is best suited to killing the foe if he is able to KO them. Because his Speed isn't too good! I usually pair him up by Lyn thanks to her skill that gives adjacent characters more speed as they battle by her. Rally Speed helps him too since he only gets 25 speed in the end. Cherche can be good if she gets some speed support thanks to her very high Str and Def.

Healers arent viable in a offensive team or defensive team why? defense for obvious reasons. the ai is too dumb to know how to use healers and the only thing ai really focus on is attacking. Offense is different the reason being that the rating of the healers are lower than most units which nets you less points. alfonse may have insane attack but his speed kills him like most heavy hitters he will get one shot in but die instantly 

3 hours ago, Shiro said:

Healers arent viable in a offensive team or defensive team why? defense for obvious reasons. the ai is too dumb to know how to use healers and the only thing ai really focus on is attacking. Offense is different the reason being that the rating of the healers are lower than most units which nets you less points. alfonse may have insane attack but his speed kills him like most heavy hitters he will get one shot in but die instantly 

I have been thinking of trying to use a weaponless healer for defense team. But raising healers are a pain.

1 hour ago, PuffPuff said:

ZBNwMj.png

This Linde I've got is beyond 39 speed. She can double anything.

Narcian can actually OHKO Linde. Nice. He's such a good budget unit.

Edited by pianime94

This thread is so interesting. I have a couple of questions for people who has played a lot of matches in the Arena.

1) Setup. 2 Melee/2 Ranged? Maps have a lot of obstacles and I find too many melee units got be a problem in narrow spaces, as they are easily killed by ranged units that fire from a safe position. One of my most used units is Catria, which is kind of an exception because she can fly over obstacles and has high mobility... but still I prefer just 2 melee.

2) What team would you do with this roster? 

TY!

Edited by Pimalai

12 minutes ago, Pimalai said:

1) Setup. 2 Melee/2 Ranged? Maps have a lot of obstacles and I find too many melee units got be a problem in narrow spaces, as they are easily killed by ranged units that fire from a safe position. One of my most used units is Catria, which is kind of an exception because she can fly over obstacles and has high mobility... but still I prefer just 2 melee.

You definitely want have have at least two ranged units. The fact that most units are limited to 2 movement means both you and your opponent are capable of using impassable terrain to very easily force free attacks against melee units.

15 hours ago, Shiro said:

[=Atk] Ryoma kills all variants of Takumi in 2 hits.

[+Atk] Takumi kills all variants of Ryoma in 2 hits except [=HP, +Def], but [=Atk] Takumi is only able to kill Ryoma in 2 hits if Ryoma is [-HP] or [-Def].

[+Spd] Ryoma doubles [=Spd] Takumi and cannot be doubled by [+Spd] Takumi even after Threaten Spd. [=Spd] Ryoma is doubled by [+Spd] Takumi only after Threaten Spd.

[=Atk] Ryoma will always kill Takumi 1-on-1 as long as Takumi cannot double Ryoma on Takumi's first turn. Let Takumi initiate combat first so that Ryoma is unaffected by Threaten Spd until after the first round of combat. If Ryoma doubled-attacked Takumi, Takumi is already dead. If not, Ryoma is guaranteed to kill Takumi on his next attack.

I haven't had time to test it out more thoroughly, but I've been having reasonable success with my current team of Ryoma [+HP, -Res], Robin [+Spd, -Res], Julia [=], and Takumi [+HP, -Spd] (eww).

Robin can easily tank a hit from Takumi and retaliate for most of Takumi's health (Takumi has 6-13 HP remaining after one round of combat), making him easy to pick off with anyone else. Takumi is unable to double Robin without buffs. Ryoma's Hone Spd allows Robin to double [-Spd] Takumi. Robin deals considerable damage to most common red units (and outright kills them if he double attacks) and leaves them easily in range of being cleaned up by Takumi or Ryoma.

Julia kills Nowi in 1 hit and leaves Robin with single-digit health (1-7 HP, unless Robin is [-HP, =Res] where he dies outright) while taking no damage from the counterattack. Julia leaves Linde with single-digit health (1-8 HP, unless Linde is [-Res, =HP] where she dies outright) and takes at most 8 damage in return.

Takumi kills Camilla and Cordelia without risk of counterattack. Takumi can win a trade against any Takumi that is [+Atk] or [+Res] (or [+Spd] with Ryoma's Hone Spd) in any scenario where my other units are busy. Taking pot shots at enemy melee units is also nice.

Ryoma is fast enough and strong enough to kill virtually any sword unit 1-on-1 and has no problem running around cleaning up the enemies that Robin and Julia fail to kill in one round. Ryoma takes little damage from Camilla on Camilla's turn and finishes her off on the following turn or can double attack Camilla and kill her outright if he initiates the first round of combat. As mentioned above, Ryoma can also win any 1-on-1 trade against Takumi.

The biggest advantage of this team is the fact that every member is capable of counterattacking against a ranged enemy, meaning ranged enemies are usually going to split up predictably by color (or just beat on Ryoma and his abysmal Res) instead of by who on my team can counterattack. On the other hand, only two members are capable of counterattacking against a melee enemy, and only one member is capable of initiating combat at melee range. At the very least, Robin is usually capable of tanking a stray hit from a sword enemy.

So far, the biggest challenges I've had to face are Kagero and teams with 3 or more swords. Teams with a large number of swords are troublesome because Julia is usually completely unable to participate. If the last member is a blue unit or a dragon, Julia usually needs to do a suicide run to snipe that unit unless I can somehow separate it from the rest of its team. Kagero causes problems because all of my units are infantry, only 3 of the 4 can initiate combat at range, and Kagero has high Res and often enough Spd to double my mages.

I haven't fought against Tharja yet, but I'm pretty sure she'll also be troublesome to take down. Same with Abel, who can probably wreck my entire army if I let him initiate a round of combat.

2 hours ago, Pimalai said:

This thread is so interesting. I have a couple of questions for people who has played a lot of matches in the Arena.

2) What team would you do with this roster? 

TY!

1 ranged unit is fine, but I suggest bringing a magic unit in case you run into a physical wall. A mage or manakete should work well. Maybe fuse those Ravens as well. Flier mobility is good, just watch out for Takumi.

As for team composition, try different setups and see which works best. I'd keep Catria and Eirika, and try replacing the other 2 with Lilina and Fae, and see if it works better. (Just theorycrafting here, you don't have to use them if you don't want to)