What is your opinion on consoles requiring you to pay to play online?

BalancedPro

First Microsoft started it with the original Xbox. Then Sony followed with the Playstation 4. Now Nintendo is going the same route as well with the Nintendo Switch. How do you feel about needing to pay yearly for online gaming? Especially since PC doesn't require payed services.

I'm PC Mustard Face, so I naturally hate it. I got one month of XBL for Halo 5 when that came out, I got 1 month of PSN when I imported Dark Souls 3, and other than that, I haven't paid for PSN or XBL in years. Nintendo only charging like, $20 a year is actually reasonable, but since I really don't care for Splatoon, I really have no reason to even do that.

Edited by Slumber

18 hours ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

If the rate isnt ridiculous, i honestly dont give a flying shit about it. 

This is honestly my view, besides charging means the company can potentially afford better server maintenance and that's always a pro in my books.

I used to buy XBox Live Gold back in University when I used to play online a lot with my 360. These days most/all of my online gaming is done through my laptop. I understand servers and shit cost money, so a small monthly cost to use them is not necessarily the biggest sin a game company can make. As long as it's a reasonable cost, not something stupid like £10 a month.

Edited by Raven

I pay for FFXIV, which is a subscription MMO, and I think the payment is justified for the maintenance of servers. I think payment for online services is a sham if the server connectivity isn't good though. A lot of games don't run dedicated servers so it's like paying for a bit of voice chat. At least PSN and XBox Live Gold offer free games every month now, but forcing people to pay for peer to peer connections is pretty silly. For Honor's bad netcode even for peer to peer is unacceptable when people are paying $80 CAD (yes it's that expensive here), with a microtransaction system tacked on.

Edited by Samias

People who are okay with it because the rate is not much or because they dont play online that much are the shame of gaming community because companies will keep pushing it till the point where you have to constantly online to play your single player game. Companies have already been doing it and nobody gave a damn while some years ago people would riot over it. You people are being tamed by the same companies who are robbing every single penny they can from you and you are fine with it. It's exactly because of you people that company dare to sell microtransaction in a freaking single player offline game. The future where you have to pay to get online to be able to play your single player game wont be far at this rate.

Edited by Magical CC

I'm loathe to pay for their services.  Why pay for something that I can get a higher quality version FOR FREE on PC?  Fuck modern consoles.

1 hour ago, Magical CC said:

People who are okay with it because the rate is not much or because they dont play online that much are the shame of gaming community because companies will keep pushing it till the point where you have to constantly online to play your single player game.

Unless its more of a cash grab and doesn't fully satisfy the consumers, then no..not really.

Companies have already been doing it and nobody gave a damn while some years ago people would riot over it.

The only companies that started having paid online services are Sony and Microsoft. Even if Nintendo is to do a paid service, its only because their experience in online gaming in the past had a lot of criticism and so to improve on that, they have to do a paid service. Its not like a little fee would force the gamer to spend more money on it.

You people are being tamed by the same companies who are robbing every single penny they can from you and you are fine with it.

Its called business tactics. Companies have to do what they have to do to make money. Companies exist to make money. I'm positive that so long as its not ridiculously expensive, people will afford every penny. 

Personally, I find this a way of consumers and companies in some form of relationship. So long as companies provide consumer satisfaction, it doesn't matter much. The minute the companies start to insult consumers (like Konami), that's when consumers can move on to other companies who won't betray that satisfaction.

It's exactly because of you people that company dare to sell microtransaction in a freaking single player offline game.

Like I said, consumers can move to other interests and just move on from there. This way, those companies will learn from their practices and will do what they can to fix problems but that will take a long time for them to do.

The future where you have to pay to get online to be able to play your single player game wont be far at this rate.

There are two types of online gaming.

Ones like the PC gaming are entirely free and people can play through other people anytime. Some offer a paid service but this is expected considering the game itself is fully online. 

The other online gaming is the one that is on consoles which is where a paid service applies most of the time. And the reason it cannot be free like PC gaming is because the ones who do it free don't make any profit out of it ( Again, DOTA) but have other means to make profit. Console makers as of now don't have other means of making profit because the costs of maintaining servers cannot be compensated for the units that are purchased as demonstrated in the case of Nintendo's 3DS & Wii U.

If you are still going to rant on online gaming being free, then you might as well rant on Wi-fi not being free at all since its the same thing. You have a laptop, you sit in a store that offers free wi fi but the store complains that you don't buy anything. What then?

I'm ok with it as long as prices are reasonable (they aren't in Brazil, but, then again, no price is reasonable here, except for -maybe- Steam prices) and the money is used to improve servers and multiplayer experience.

But it feels like a scam when you can play online decently on the PC. I don't really know how "necessary" it is for a paid online service when we have good counterexamples on the PC.

The other online gaming is the one that is on consoles which is where a paid service applies most of the time. And the reason it cannot be free like PC gaming is because the ones who do it free don't make any profit out of it ( Again, DOTA) but have other means to make profit. Console makers as of now don't have other means of making profit because the costs of maintaining servers cannot be compensated for the units that are purchased as demonstrated in the case of Nintendo's 3DS & Wii U.

Now, that makes sense.

Edited by Rapier