Heroes Art Work That Seems a Bit Off

Rezzy

As people who have seen my art thread know, I'm not exactly the best artist, but I still try to have an eye for art.

The first is Ephraim in his "Methinks he dost protest too much" pic

Spoiler

Fire%20Emblem%20Heroes_2017-02-15-19-33-

It's hard to describe, but his armor and body are ultra shaded a detailed, whereas his head is more flat and basic.  It looks fine by itself, but in conjunction with his body, the juxtapositioning is jarring.

Next Ogma

Spoiler

Fire%20Emblem%20Heroes_2017-02-17-23-11-

His arm's muscles seem lumpy and unnatural for some reason.

Lastly, bug-eyed Eliwood.

Spoiler

Fire%20Emblem%20Heroes_2017-02-17-23-11-

Maybe if this style was more common in the game, it wouldn't stick out as much, but since Eliwood only seems to be the one who has crazy eyes, he clashes with the other characters.

Anybody else find any art that just looks a bit off or agree or disagree with my pics?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the new Ephraim artwork.  I thought it was true to the original, but a lot more detailed.  Absolutely right about Ogma, but it doesn't bother me too much.

The only character art I don't understand is Arthur's.  I never played fates, so I'm not sure if this is an inside joke with the game, but it looks like they purposely made bad artwork...

They just got a bunch of different artists to do the art, just like the TCG, and many other TCGs

overall I'm happy they just didn't get Yoske Kozai to do all of the art, I don't think I'd be comfortable with some of his redesigns

I can't say any artwork bothers me, but that's perhaps I'm not much of a judge on these sort of stuff. Or easily bothered for it, maybe. Even big-eyed Eliwood.

4 minutes ago, Lushen said:

The only character art I don't understand is Arthur's.  I never played fates, so I'm not sure if this is an inside joke with the game, but it looks like they purposely made bad artwork...

Arthur's was done to emulate comic book artwork. It wouldn't look out of place in something like Codename S.T.E.A.M. for example, which is kinda the point, as a self-proclaimed hero of justice.

49 minutes ago, Lushen said:

I love the new Ephraim artwork.  I thought it was true to the original, but a lot more detailed.  Absolutely right about Ogma, but it doesn't bother me too much.

Ephraim is nice, it's just that the head and the rest of his body don't seem to "match", for lack of a better word.

47 minutes ago, unique said:

eliwood's bothers me the most because aside from the huge eyes I really, really like it but the eyes are so weird that it ruins the whole thing for me

Yeah, that's sort of my thoughts

42 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I can't say any artwork bothers me, but that's perhaps I'm not much of a judge on these sort of stuff. Or easily bothered for it, maybe. Even big-eyed Eliwood.

Arthur's was done to emulate comic book artwork. It wouldn't look out of place in something like Codename S.T.E.A.M. for example, which is kinda the point, as a self-proclaimed hero of justice.

I don't think Arthur's is bad per se, it just is so jarringly different from the rest of the art.

3 minutes ago, Blade_of_Light said:

I do have some issue with Ogma's artwork. I am glad I am not the only one who noticed that.

Apart from his arms, I think he looks okay, he's just got a bad case of Rob Liefeld muscles.

The artwork for Ogma/Gunter/Jagen (I think that's it?) is really cool IMO, but doesn't fit the style of the game and is kinda jarring as a result. I think Eliwood's a similar bag (also really like his, although the damaged art is kinda off to me somehow too).

I've also complained about Tharja's in the past (babyface syndrome) and I'm not super into the artwork for Oboro/Hinata either... Don't really like the art style.

Ogma's artist, Yamada Akihiro, is actually quite old; he turned 60 last week. His art style is, as expected, very old school, as you pointed out with how he draws muscles. I kinda like it; it's a very different vibe from the modern styles seen with other artists who worked on this game, and I think it fits the characters he drew (Gunther, Jagen, Zephiel, Ogma). I think Gunther is his best work. I do have one complaint though; Ogma's battle poses are not very cool.

By the way, I don't know if you've noticed, but Mr. Yamada is the only artist who drew his characters entirely different poses for the Special Skill activation portrait. Every other artist, even Kozaki, just added special effects and changed visual expressions to the normal attack portrait. Definitely appreciate that.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

Every face that lacks a nose seems off and unattractive, but I know that's just me and my bizarre taste. In heroes, there's a nice blend between nose and no-nose styles. For every Alfonse, Barst, and Wrys, there's a matching Clarine, Est, or Hana where the nose could be mistaken as a beauty mark. I understand the simplistic anime face gets you maximum potential for expression with minimal features to draw and animate, and nostrils are unattractive yada yada, but I hate characters looking indistinct from each other. I feel the same way about tiny ears.

9 minutes ago, The Geek said:

I'm still weirded out by Olivia's weird proportions.

Hm, I never really noticed, but I'm not a fan of Olivia's outfit in general, so I didn't look too carefully.

6 minutes ago, BANRYU said:

The artwork for Ogma/Gunter/Jagen (I think that's it?) is really cool IMO, but doesn't fit the style of the game and is kinda jarring as a result. I think Eliwood's a similar bag (also really like his, although the damaged art is kinda off to me somehow too).

I've also complained about Tharja's in the past (babyface syndrome) and I'm not super into the artwork for Oboro/Hinata either... Don't really like the art style.

I'll have to check out Jeigan and bad Jeigan later.  I don't have Tharja, so I can't really speak for her.

5 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

By the way, I don't know if you've noticed, but Mr. Yamada is the only artist who drew his characters entirely different poses for the Special Skill activation portrait. Every other artist, even Kozaki, just added special effects and changed visual expressions to the normal attack portrait. Definitely appreciate that.

That's a nice touch.

4 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

Every face that lacks a nose seems off and unattractive, but I know that's just me and my bizarre taste. In heroes, there's a nice blend between nose and no-nose styles. For every Alfonse, Barst, and Wrys, there's a matching Clarine, Est, or Hana where the nose could be mistaken as a beauty mark. I understand the simplistic anime face gets you maximum potential for expression with minimal features to draw and animate, and nostrils are unattractive yada yada, but I hate characters looking indistinct from each other. I feel the same way about tiny ears.

Another one I can say if Florina's art isn't a style I'm big on.

4 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Yeah, Eliwood's eyes bother me. I also think portraits like that of Gunter, Jagen, and Zephiel are fine on their own but are so different from the rest of the art in Heroes that it's a bit jarring. 

Yeah, some of the styles seem to go together better than others.

4 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Effie, you're in armor, don't stand like that.  I'm sore from looking at her!

I'm more concerned that she seems to forgotten the part of her armor that would cover her thighs and pelvis.

I think almost everyone can agree the Eliwood's eyes have stared into the abyss and the abyss stared back.  Ogma's style is pretty reminiscent to old-style art so I like it.

As much as I like Cordelia, her artwork looks a bit off, in particular her face looks a bit off to me.

And Gwend(y)olyn's also looks off to me too.  I can't quite grasp what it is about her, but there's just something there that bothers me..

6 minutes ago, SHSL Ninja said:

And Gwend(y)olyn's also looks off to me too.  I can't quite grasp what it is about her, but there's just something there that bothers me..

It's probably the proportions. Her thighs are bigger than her waist ffs.

I'd say a good percentage of the art bugs me in some way, hahaha. I'm so critical.

Gwendolyn's is awful. Her waist is tiny, but admittedly some people's waists are tiny. But her waist/upper torso is out of proportion with the rest of her, so it's jarring.

Looking at my roster:

Abel would look really decent if he had more of a nose.

Takumi (and Leo, not that I have Leo, but they share an artist) are amongst the better examples but their foreheads are huge.

Lon'qu has no chin! The lower half of his face is totally out of proportion with the upper head/neck. His stationery stance seems fine but his action stance seems spliced together from two different poses.

Sophia is a mess. Super thin neck, leaning back at an uncomfortable and unnatural angle, torso and arms too thin and bendy in a proportion sense. (Nothing against slim characters. Fir and Hana have slender figures in their portraits but are in proportion).

Camilla wouldn't be too bad if her breasts hadn't been copied/pasted onto her action stances. It's not their size, it's that they're not even in the right positions.

Raigh has really stubby feet.

Etc.

i'm not familiar with this but they definitely have to redo some characters. Some were like beautifully detailed like Ephraim's but some of them looks 'simple' like Ogma's

@Rezzy Florina's eyes are too low on her face also. They already were in some of her artworks and Cipher art, but not THAT much.

I'm not an artist myself nor do I have an artist eye (I usually care more about OST and VA), but I do like Ogma's design, even if his muscles look kinda weird. That's still the best art of his artist. Of course Jagen's and Gunter's suck, so it cannot be worst.

im a jojo fan so ogmas art doesnt really bother me, although it does look out of place alongside other designs. not digging arthur/hector/ravens comic book art for the same reasons as well. 

whoever drew gwendolyn needs a lesson in anatomy because that is not how a human being looks like my god

also eliwood. if theres ever a chance they redo the art or create an event version please bring in another artist. those eyes, man.

Arthur's is the biggest one that bugs me. Jagen's also seems particularly odd compared to the others, but I actually like his style, so it doesn't bother me much. Odin's face in his default artwork is weird, but he seems alright otherwise. Most of the others looked fine to me given the level of cartoonish-ness of the game.

Artist here :0c

I have to agree that Eliwoods eyes really do bug me too haha! Honestly the artwork is well done but yikes !

and I don't mind the Artist who did ogma Gunter etc. Im actually really fond of it. Though it is really different from the other styles..:0 I think there's only a few character art works that Im genuinely unhappy with //just thrown off by... which would have to be

Gwendolyns art is GOOD and I appreciate the artists style-however her thighs are SO beefy! And her waist is close to non-existant? He legs shouldn't be that big if her hips are... barely there lol. Other than that the art is super well done :0

Jakob... eh I love the art but my problem is that he looks so menacing and cold? I always saw Jakob as more of a soft friendly guy but in heroes his artwork makes him look so dark?:"0 the art is super well done but I don't think it really shows his character well.

Chrom... just looks off? I don't know something about his face makes him  look way too young and soft ? Again the arts well done but seems.. odd ?

And those are the ones I'm slightly bothered by..

but the ones below just ;;"

oboro

i love her she's such a cutie but i find her artwork.. is rather flat ? And her eyes ... something about those eyes ;A;" it's like she's almost cross eyed but not quite. Maybe the eyes are too low ? I'm not sure but her stare makes me uncomfortable.

setsuna!!

Agh I love setsuna!!;~; so I was super thrown off by her art work! I love everything about the art .. except her eye!! Oh god I really don't like how the artist drew her eye? It's like it's too far off her face? And it's so strangely shaped at that? It just really bugs me. If you have setsuna just take a minute to look at her eye. It's just not right to me? 

Ursula ok I really like everything about the art except her... expression?like idk it's just weird // silly lookinghaha ! But everything else looks super good and well rendered

overall I'm super duper loving the art for this game!!<3 just a few are.. off putting to say the least ...lol

also like it's nice to see old characters getting updated art!! Like ahh<33 

IMG_1272.PNG

1 hour ago, Wuppeteer said:

Jakob... eh I love the art but my problem is that he looks so menacing and cold? I always saw Jakob as more of a soft friendly guy but in heroes his artwork makes him look so dark?:"0 the art is super well done but I don't think it really shows his character well.

Jakob is nice to Corrin, but he's honestly a jerk to pretty much everybody else.

25 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Jakob is nice to Corrin, but he's honestly a jerk to pretty much everybody else.

That is true! But I don't know I just find the artwork so harsh compared to how he looks in fates? He just looks kind of evil really haha!It's just what I thought when I saw his art but :0c