Tips for Fire Emblem

FleetofFeet

Lyn's story ends after Chapter 10, at which point you'll start Eliwood's story. You have to complete Eliwood mode to unlock hard modes for Lyn and Eliwood's story and normal mode for Hector's story (which you have to complete to unlock HHM). 

A good tip is not to assume you need to train the lords just because you're forced to field them (referring to Hector and Lyn) in a few chapters. They aren't bad units but by no means should you feel obligated to use them.

You can level up units in Lyn's story and they'll carry over to Eliwood's story, so leveling your cavalier of choice (or both, I suppose) and Florina is a good idea.

Make sure you level up Nils to 7 during Lyn's story so you can unlock a later Gaiden chapter in Hector mode (19x part 2). 

Edited by YouSquiddinMe

Lyn's story ends after chapter 10. However, said chapter has a promoted boss. 

Anyways, some tips:

- Don't forget to check enemies' weapons (this is something I can apply to any FE game) 

- There are side chapters in this game - you might want to check the site to find out how to unlock them

- Unlike Awakening and Fates, this game uses specific promotion items for specific classes (e.g. Knights and Cavaliers need a Knight Crest)

- This game has a Con-based AS system, so depending on the unit, you might do well to avoid heavy weapons 

Also of note: two specific chapters have two different variations that you may go to depending on certain factors. One of those is FFO, which depends on your lords' levels. The other depends on the exp Erk, Serra, Priscilla and Lucius got vs the exp Guy, Raven, Dorcas, and Bartre got.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

• 3 weeks later...

1.  Buy weapons/items when you can.  Unlike later games, there is no chance to buy equipment between battles, and not every level has shops.

2.  Beware the Arena.  It can be a good place for experience and gold, but if your unit dies in the Arena, they're out of the game and you'll have to restart the level if you want to keep them.  Unless you're planning on abusing the Arena, you're probably better off avoiding it altogether.

3.  Choose which units to promote wisely.  Unless you find the Hidden Shop late in the game, I don't believe you'll have enough promotion items to promote all your units.  Even then, it can be rather tough to get enough money to afford all the promotion items.

4.  Be stingy with your supports.  Each unit can only support 5 times, total, and the ranks go up to A.  I'd recommend, for each unit, get one A rank and one B rank (whenever possible).  Whatever you do, though, just realize that you're not going to be able to get everyone all mutually supported.  On the other hand, this does mean that playing through the game multiple times can be rather rewarding (as I recall, Serra alone has several great support conversations)!

5.  Don't skip the cutscenes!  This is just my personal opinion, but I find the storyline in FE7 to be incredibly engaging, even if the animation is rather limited.

6.  Most importantly, have fun!