Best story?

MaskedAmpharos

23 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Dude, I know opinions are a thing, but...how can you say Awakening has a better story than PoR? Awakening's plot is full of holes and has cliche time travel nonsense and is rushed and all kinds of other shit. In fact, it also literally ripped off PoR with the bare-bones taguel backstory and failed miserably at that as well.

Basically this. Not hating on Awakening, since I enjoyed the game, and it did save FE from the brink of ruin, so I'll always be grateful. But yeah, Awakening is kind of screwed in the plot department. ESPECIALLY that awful third act... :>_<:

POR/RD were much tighter and smarter written.

Though imo, the time travel was done pretty well for what it was. The explanation for the kids' existence was miles better/more believable than that Deeprealms nonsense from Fates.

Edited by Extrasolar

• 2 weeks later...

The Tellius duology is my favourite. Every nation is much more than an archetype, even though your first impressions might make you think otherwise. Most characters, both good and bad, are well-written and well-developed and have a clear identity of their own. That even applies to many minor bosses, since there are a lot of special conversations with those (at least one per boss).

Blazing Sword was pretty neat too, even though some characters' reasons for joining were dubious at best.

I have a soft spot for Sacred Stones. The story itself is nothing too original, but the characters are simply amazing.

Awakening has some great parts, and great characters too, but it seemed (and it's probably what happened) that they tried to fit four or fives stories into a single game, so it didn't feel focused enough (oh, and the Gharnef archetype can die: Validar was such a bland villain compared to Gangrel and Walhart).

Fates is again a case of trying to do too much at once. The basic idea behind the plot is a very interesting one, but somehow it feels like they felt they had to pander to the Awakening fanbase in the worst possible ways. In my headcanon, the children are characters that will exist at some point, but them growing up so fast in the Outrealms is not really happening (I still recruit them, but pretty much only use them in Paralogues and count them as non-canon.) They tried to have a quirky, humorous cast like Awakening. While I like the Fates cast, their almost constant comedic tone feels at odds with what should be a very serious plot, dealing with many facets of moral ambiguity. My main buff with the plot is still Garon. A LOT could be salvaged by making him a little less stereotypically evil. It was basically a retelling of the Vigarde plot from FE8, except that Vigarde was defeated halfway through the game, and the character behind the whole thing was established quite early, unlike Anankos who needs a third path to be covered. A zombie does not make a good main antagonist. Garon should have been more like Lyon: possessed, but still having some control and bouts of lucidity that could justify Xander and Corrin not giving up hope. Or he could have been like Arshtat from Suikoden V, who is getting crazier (and potentially homicidal) every day, but still acts like a caring mother and a true queen at times. The only time Garon was mildly interesting was his very last scene in Birthright, where he seemed to come back to life for a short time, and while he was clearly not the nicest guy, he at least felt mildly like a human being.

The story of Fates is not exactly bad. I'd call it okay-ish. But it had so much potential, and the stupid issues could have been very easily fixed. So one can't help being disappointed.

Recently started Binding Blade. The story seems okay, though not exceptional. Some characters are introduced in a weird way. They just appear, say three words, and they're your friends! At least they can support, but it's obvious that the support conversation writing was an art they hadn't mastered yet.

• 5 months later...

I think the reason people like Sacred Stones so much is because while yes, the basic plot is super simple good vs. evil with relatively little moral ambiguity, the characters are well developed in their supports -- they show different sides of themselves without being tropey or predictable. I think that people, myself included, love Sacred Stones so much because we love the cast more than the story. I will admit, as much as I love the Lyon/Eirika/Ephraim conflict, it isn't AS big as many think. 

Earlier someone mentioned that there were some pacing issues with Sacred Stones, and with some of the chilling reveal moments like with Orson or Ismaire's death. I would tend to agree with him, though I think Orson's case was given at least the minimum appropriate build up, the mention his wife and he shows some early signs of mad grief. That said, as I play Echoes, with all of its changes and improvements in writing, I find myself thinking that if Sacred Stones were given proper development time on a new gen it could become truly incredible