New Cipher Cards of Alm and Celica with Starting Cast in the Background

There are nice cards. The other Gaiden ones in the TGC thread are also pretty nice.

I don't know why but I thought the girl in the Alm card was Claire instead (probably because in the trailers, we saw her sprite and the hair colors are a bit similar) but I guess it makes sense if that's Effy.
Since Effy and Kliff have the same color, I guess that there are probably related (siblings I suppose). I think that it implies that she's not an Avatar but a normal new character or else they would probably show a male version of her but I could be wrong.

22 hours ago, The DanMan said:

Nice. Like the look of all the villagers. Is it just me, or is May quite well-endowed? Though considering Celica isn't lacking in the card art either, that's probably just artist's interpretation. 

It seems to be a part of her armor to me but it could be possible.

20 hours ago, Tuvy said:

B-but, this is Kliff! Cliff

And this is Grey! Grey

WHY THE HAIR COLOR CHANGES IS! WHYYYYY!

There are not the only ones. There are also Claire, Tobin, Boey and probably more. I don't mind it personally.

17 hours ago, KliffIsTheOG said:

Has that yet been confirmed?

Since Alm didn't seem to be at a disadvantage when he was fighting that soldier in the video so I guess there is no weapon triangle.

On 20/02/2017 at 1:47 PM, RedEyedDrake said:

So...what is the Valentian characters' signature color supposed to be? Red just like it is for the Archanean characters?

Red like Archanean characters.

11 hours ago, Pete-of-the-Forge said:

I suppose this confirms that Effy/Efi/Effie is a new character a la Frey and Norne, rather than a Kris-like avatar.

Yes, and I'm happy about that. Unless it's the default design for the Avatar, I'd say that's unlikley.

Though it's a bit hard to see Kliff with that giant grey E nearly covering his face, I will say that I am not a fan of his outfit. I know this isn't really the Middle Ages and just a fantasy land, but his outfit still sticks out as anachronistic to me (is that a bolo tie? Frederick had one too). That's one of the problems I had with the butler and maid classes. You have this pseudo-Medieval setting with swords and armor and whatnot, and then you have butlers and maids that look like they're from a pseudo-Victorian era.

The guy dressed in purple? If you zoom into the picture, it does seem like he is wearing glasses. As someone who has to wear them too, I'm rather pleased!

I do hope more Hidari's art surfaces soon, the style of these cards is a little bit too much anime as heck to my liking, and I'm not getting any sense of what their outfits are supposed to look like. I'm currently playing through Gaiden and while I have many questions about this remake on my mind, I gotta admit the new character designs have piqued my curiosity the most.

56 minutes ago, Carnation said:

The guy dressed in purple? If you zoom into the picture, it does seem like he is wearing glasses. As someone who has to wear them too, I'm rather pleased!

I do hope more Hidari's art surfaces soon, the style of these cards is a little bit too much anime as heck to my liking, and I'm not getting any sense of what their outfits are supposed to look like. I'm currently playing through Gaiden and while I have many questions about this remake on my mind, I gotta admit the new character designs have piqued my curiosity the most.

Personally, I love the new designs. The older ones had a nice dose of generic, but what else could you really expect, before the FE team could hire a dedicated character artist. Alm in particular has a striking design imo.

They're anime for sure though, but I think that's a strength rather than a weakness. Alm is just wearing a bunch of armor...I think he's the most armored lord we have in the series to date, now that I think about it.

Cellica is elegant and whatnot. I think it works.

57 minutes ago, Carnation said:

I honestly thought he might have glasses too it is just so hard to see with that stupid E in his face. I really hope he does cause I can only think of a few Fire Emblem characters that have glasses.

Well, it's hard to say because his overworld sprite doesn't have glasses like Laurent's or Miriel's from Awakening. Wouldn't it be dangerous to wear glasses on the battlefield? If someone hit your face while you had your glasses on,  serious damage can be dealt to the delicate skin by your lacrimal sacs. Aesthetically it may be pleasing to some, but I do question the practicality of glasses on the battlefield. If your vision wasn't up to snuff, then the battlefield is the last place you'd want to be. xD

3 hours ago, Leif said:

Is it just my imagination, or is Kliff wearing glasses? It's hard to tell, but it looks like there is something on the bridge of his nose.

3 hours ago, Carnation said:

Oh really, I didn't realized that the artwork that Kliff has glasses on? That's a surprise.

Edit: Ok, I did downloaded the image on my computer and it's really too hard to see it zoom it really close to see if Kliff is wearing glasses due to the pixels on the image when zooming in too close.

Edited by King Marth 64

7 minutes ago, Leif said:

Well, it's hard to say because his overworld sprite doesn't have glasses like Laurent's or Miriel's from Awakening. Wouldn't it be dangerous to wear glasses on the battlefield? If someone hit your face while you had your glasses on,  serious damage can be dealt to the delicate skin by your lacrimal sacs. Aesthetically it may be pleasing to some, but I do question the practicality of glasses on the battlefield. If your vision wasn't up to snuff, then the battlefield is the last place you'd want to be. xD

The over-world sprite is a good point I guess maybe he doesn't that picture is hard to see in general though. But as for practicality this is Fire Emblem last game we had battle panties on people who ride horses. The lack of coverage would cause rashes or burns on the legs because friction  Sorry I just think this franchise sometimes goes for what looks 'good' instead of what would be practical.

2 hours ago, Sarahtoga104 said:

The over-world sprite is a good point I guess maybe he doesn't that picture is hard to see in general though. But as for practicality this is Fire Emblem last game we had battle panties on people who ride horses. The lack of coverage would cause rashes or burns on the legs because friction  Sorry I just think this franchise sometimes goes for what looks 'good' instead of what would be practical.

That type of thing more or less seems to be exactly what people hope we WON'T get in this game. 

6 minutes ago, RedEyedDrake said:

You know, I just realized something. 'Starting characters', you say? Then where in the world is Lukas?

He still is a starting character 100%. You can see his overworld sprite in the Nintendo Direct footage. I think the artists just wanted to emphasize Alm and his rag-tag group of villagers and juxtapose it with Celica and her gang of mages. Lukas is a rebel soldier, so I guess he didn't fit in with Alm's "rag-tag group vibe" they have going on. 

@Leif:

Yes, I realized that from the beginning. I'm just saying that he is also technically a 'starting character' but is also the only such character to not be on either of these two cards. Poor Lukas.

...Or maybe he actually is on one or more of those cards and Kellam actually has "proto-Valmese" ancestry.

Edited by RedEyedDrake

7 hours ago, AsherCrane said:

That type of thing more or less seems to be exactly what people hope we WON'T get in this game. 

I hate the battle panties to trust me #givefemalecharacterspants but I also think glasses are not as offensive as them. Usually they are only on mages to whether it is Laurent or Miriel or Canas's monocle. I mean Yukimura is a ninja but that still does not bother me it is just a design choice. A lot of people think Kliff may be like a richer type of villager based on his bolo tie and fancy looking vest too so who knows until they actually show us some more of the character designs. This game literally comes out in less than 2 months in Japan I really feel we should at least get something soon.

Say, anyone remembers that one Cipher pic that has Alm with a cape? That is going to be what his promotion in Shadows of Valentia looks like, won't it?

@Sarah:

But FE male characters already have pants. >.>  <.<

4 minutes ago, RedEyedDrake said:

Say, anyone remembers that one Cipher pic that has Alm with a cape? That is going to be what his promotion in Shadows of Valentia looks like, won't it?

@Sarah:

But FE male characters already have pants. >.>  <.<

She means the lack of more suitable trousers in classes like the cavalier class from Fates, rather than them just wearing underwear