Milo Yiannopoulos resigns from Breitbart

16 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

he's changed my opinion on a few things, yes and yes, and after listening to him I wanted to vote for Trump

go and listen to a few of his speeches, he might change your mind on a few things

Since I object to the methodology of the extreme left, I object to him on principle.  The means don't justify the ends, and I see him and those on the extreme left as two sides of the same coin.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, The Geek said:

Yeah no.  It's hard to take a guy who says that trans people are sexual predators seriously when there is no evidence to support this assertion.  Knowing several trans people doesn't help this.

It's hard to take him seriously when all he does is fight strawmen of different groups he disagrees with.  I've found that most feminists prefer to distance themselves from the misandrists.

It's hard to take him seriously when he claims that homosexuality is a choice when you consider the shit gay people get put through for their orientation.

And most importantly of all, I feel, it's hard to take him seriously as an opponent of "victim culture" when his response to finally getting his comeuppance is to start whining about how everyone is victimizing him.

In the end, he's just a bully.  He tells lies to put others down and raise up himself and those who think like him, and the moment he gets hit back, he starts whining about it.

I like people who speak their mind and are unfiltered, even if I disagree with it I respect those who say what they feel.

like I said in a previous post I don't agree with him 100%

I agree with him more on his political opinions

2 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

I like people who speak their mind and are unfiltered, even if I disagree with it I respect those who say what they feel.

like I said in a previous post I don't agree with him 100%

I agree with him more on his political opinions

So, do you respect the people who drove you off of Twitter?  Or those at your college that screamed at you about your opinions?

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

So, do you respect the people who drove you off of Twitter?  Or those at your college that screamed at you about your opinions?

I respect their opinions, and I believe that they have the right to free speech, but I was being threatend with physciall violence.

same thing, but english 1010 classes have no real need for modern political debates

4 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

I respect their opinions, and I believe that they have the right to free speech, but I was being threatend with physciall violence.

same thing, but english 1010 classes have no real need for modern political debates

Part of free speech is knowing when to keep it to yourself.  This goes for every side of every issue.

There's a fine line between being able to speak what you want, and being obnoxious about it, and I think Milo's several miles away from the line.

I did read Milo's articles on feminism and abortion today and when he's arguing against a definition of third wave feminism no third wave feminists agree with, it gets difficult to argue against. The point has been missed entirely.

It's my experience that many of the angry men like Milo who argue against feminism have an extremely poor grasp of what feminism is (at least to most people) and instead argue against a tiny minority of exteremist feminists or, more likely, against a strawman of their own creation.

10 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Part of free speech is knowing when to keep it to yourself.  This goes for every side of every issue.

There's a fine line between being able to speak what you want, and being obnoxious about it, and I think Milo's several miles away from the line.

The man quite literally defines himself by being a 'provocateur' and getting a rise out of people, which says much more about him than anything else imo. Anyone who defines themselves by pissing people off isn't a person who has much of worth to say quite frankly.

8 minutes ago, Res said:

I did read Milo's articles on feminism and abortion today and when he's arguing against a definition of third wave feminism no third wave feminists agree with, it gets difficult to argue against. The point has been missed entirely.

C3mqGhdXAAE7cm-.jpg

1 minute ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

It's my experience that many of the angry men like Milo who argue against feminism have an extremely poor grasp of what feminism is (at least to most people) and instead argue against a tiny minority of exteremist feminists or, more likely, against a strawman of their own creation.

Not to mention having an extremely romanticised vision of suffragists and second-wave feminism, as well as using them to discredit all activists that have come since. If they're not saying allowing women to vote was the beginning of the end for Western Civilisation that is.

10 minutes ago, The Blind Idiot God said:

The man quite literally defines himself by being a 'provocateur' and getting a rise out of people, which says much more about him than anything else imo. Anyone who defines themselves by pissing people off isn't a person who has much of worth to say quite frankly.

He's pretty much a self-proclaimed internet troll.

He isn't even interesting from a conservative politics perspective - he doesn't really have any ideas that you wouldn't find from other conservative talking heads.

Edited by Tryhard

53 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Free speech only ends (in the US) when you threaten some one, everything is is free to say.

I firmly believe that the KKK and BLM should be slowed to say what ever they want to say.

Saying that someone shouldn't be allowed to speak because you find it obnoxious is bigoted

Well, looks like everyone here's gonna hate me now

Edited by Captain Karnage

21 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

Free speech only ends (in the US) when you threaten some one, everything is is free to say.

I firmly believe that the KKK and BLM should be slowed to say what ever they want to say.

Saying that someone shouldn't be allowed to speak because you find it obnoxious is bigoted

. . .you just did what the guys in your university did to you.  Your actions have put me at a loss for words.

14 minutes ago, eclipse said:

. . .you just did what the guys in your university did to you.  Your actions have put me at a loss for words.

I'd be a hypocrite. What I said earlier was the reasons why I started listening to him.

I firmly believe that every person should be allowed to freely express their opinions, no matter how unpopular they may be

and there is an option, it's called ignoring those opinion, I killed my Twitter to ignore those people.

Edited by Captain Karnage

Just now, Captain Karnage said:

I'd be a hypocrite.

I firmly believe that every person should be allowed to freely express their opinions, no matter how unpopular they may be

and there is an option, it's called ignoring those opinion, I killed my Twitter to ignore those people.

You know those people that called you a racist/homophobe/etc.?  They can use the exact same logic, to justify why they called you that.  Yet you seem to take offense to that.

Freedom of speech does not mean there are not social consequences for your speech (which includes the right of your employer to fire you, your friends to no longer like you, for you to be banned from an internet forum, etc.) It pretty much just means there are no legal consequences for speech.

Nobody is proposing arresting Milo, even those of us who find his words vile. His right to freedom of speech is not being violated.

Tangentially related, but worth mentioning: Richard Spencer also got dropped from the CPAC.
http://www.smh.com.au/world/altright-leader-richard-spencer-booted-from-conservative-political-action-conference-20170223-guk5u4.html

The description of the Alt-Right as a left-wing movement made me chuckle.

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

You know those people that called you a racist/homophobe/etc.?  They can use the exact same logic, to justify why they called you that.  Yet you seem to take offense to that.

yeah, I take offense when I become insulted, you should too. Just because someone yells a slur at me doesn't mean that I think they should lose their free speach, yeah, I'll probly hate them and resent them for a LONG time

1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Freedom of speech does not mean there are not social consequences for your speech (which includes the right of your employer to fire you, your friends to no longer like you, for you to be banned from an internet forum, etc.) It pretty much just means there are no legal consequences for speech.

Nobody is proposing arresting Milo, even those of us who find his words vile. His right to freedom of speech is not being violated.

\/ I know, what I was responding to was what eclipse had said earlier \/

2 hours ago, eclipse said:

Well, you did say this, which was on my mind when I made my own comment:

4 hours ago, Captain Karnage said:

if you really believe in free speech you should believe that all opinions shold be allowed to be listened to. Which is one of the biggest reasons I like Milo, unpopular speech should still be allowed to be heard

Eclipse's comment is also entirely correct: you have the right to free speech, but you still need to have the social awareness to not be obnoxious with your right.

2 hours ago, Captain Karnage said:

Why are you comparing the KKK to BLM? BLM movement was born from the principle that people in places of power(regardless of the skin color of the police), target minorities. There is likely only a small amount of incompetent BLM protestors that would support black on white violence and it would be extremely foolish to judge the whole movement based on its extremes. The KKK however was born on the principle to harm blacks and minorities, so likely more of them would support violence towards blacks. 

If your viewpoint threatens the livelihood of another person, should your free speech end? This is going off your definition of free speech ending. 

2 hours ago, Captain Karnage said:

No one has mentioned hating you and for you to jump to that conclusion makes me feel as if you're looking for a justification to continue being a victim.

I would argue that being called a racist/homophobe/misogynist isn't a slur. I always wonder why people consider it worse to be called those things than it is to demonstrate racist/homophobic/sexist behaviors in the first place. It also makes me wonder what people even consider to be racist/homophobic/sexist in the first place.  

Edit: This isn't meant to be accusatory, and it's somewhat of a rhetorical question. 

I've said problematic things before; I'd wager we all have. I've worked over the years on not automatically reacting badly when someone calls me out, but to reflect and think: was I guilty of that label? Maybe what I said *was* racist/homophibic/sexist, even if it was unconsciously so.

Edited by Res

My philosophy in recent years is this:

"Words will only hurt me if I give them the power to do so. But words can also incite violence and hatred amongst others. Free speech goes both ways. You have the right to say what you want, but others have the right to tell you to get off the fucking stage. Either way, face whatever consequences your actions may bring upon you."

I don't really get offended when people call me whatever anymore, especially if I know that it's not true. However, people who have power or influence need to use their words carefully, because their words can cause a lot of damage when used incorrectly. Another thing I've noticed is that a lot of vocal people who cry about how their right to free speech is being oppressed are the first ones who want to take away someone else's right to free speech the moment they hear something they don't like. And this applies to everyone, not just to one ideology.

As for the topic at hand, don't know who he is, don't care, sounds like a shit anyway.

22 minutes ago, Mimikyu said:

If your viewpoint threatens the livelihood of another person, should your free speech end? This is going off your definition of free speech ending. 

that's when the legal system kicks in, so yeah

19 minutes ago, Res said:

No one has mentioned hating you and for you to jump to that conclusion makes me feel as if you're looking for a justification to continue being a victim.

I would argue that being called a racist/homophobe/misogynist isn't a slur. I always wonder why people consider it worse to be called those things than it is to demonstrate racist/homophobic/sexist behaviors in the first place. It also makes me wonder what people even consider to be racist/homophobic/sexist in the first place.  

what I meant by that statement was I have a feeling that a lot of people who spent time in this thread are going to dislike me for my thoughts

people will acuse you of things when they don't even know you or what you've been through

1 minute ago, Captain Karnage said:

what I meant by that statement was I have a feeling that a lot of people who spent time in this thread are going to dislike me for my thoughts

people will acuse you of things when they don't even know you or what you've been through

...I'm not going to hate you, unless you've done something illegal. 

1 minute ago, Captain Karnage said:

37 minutes ago, Res said:

[...] for you to jump to that conclusion makes me feel as if you're looking for a justification to continue being a victim.

You're coming very dangerously close to "playing the victim" here. Keep this up and people WILL dislike you, not for your thoughts but because you're being annoying about this "people are going to hate me and they don't know what I've been through!!!"

7 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

You're coming very dangerously close to "playing the victim" here. Keep this up and people WILL dislike you, not for your thoughts but because you're being annoying about this "people are going to hate me and they don't know what I've been through!!!"

that was a poor choice of words on my behalf, what I meant to say was people don't know my life