Getting TRS to Play

Interdimensional Observer

Hello,

I finally bit the bullet and downloaded an emulator (Open Emu) to play Tear Ring Saga. This is my first time ever emulating or anything like it, so consider me a total novice at this.

The current problem is that emulator scans the game when I open it, but the game does not actually appear in the emulator and play. Youtube and other websites aren't helping.

I am using a Mac with OS Sierra (I so want to see how that witch will compare- sounds quite good from what I've heard).

I obtained the rom from a chilly website (you aren't supposed to provide links and whatnot to roms right?).

I got the three different regional 5500 bios files to make the game play.

I got the UnArchiver thing for opening the rom and putting it in MacBinary Archive format

I downloaded the completed translation patch from the link on very website. 

I couldn't get the Mac version of PPF-o-Matic to work, so I used MultiPatch instead.

I used textedit to change the first line of .cue file to match the name of the patched bin and put them in the same folder. 

I've been spending hours fiddling with things- including having deleted the Japanese Bin so the folder only has the patched version and the .cue, which is how things currently stand. I also in a prior attempt (the stuff of which has been deleted and replaced with a fresh new download of the rom and attaching of the patch) made a duplicate .cue and used textedit to get the first line to match that of the patched bin.

What is particularly annoying is that now I can't even seem to get the unpatched Japanese version to load in Open Emu (I've now deleted it from there), which I actually had gotten to work rather easily. But I'm not going to go out of my way to try to play without a patch.

As a longtime Fire Emblem fan, who got good old Blazing Blade in an Easter basket long ago and has been hooked since (prior to that I had Melee of course, and then I read a Blazing Blade article in NP detailing the latter half of Lyn Mode and a few Eliwood chapters). And who, though stalking this website for years, only gave into the temptation of joining for the sake of getting an answer to this TearRing problem (more like tearing problem at this point), please make use of the meticulous detail I've given you and help me get this game working.

If all goes well, I'll quit stalking completely and become an active member of the forums. I've got a fanfict rewrite of the plot of Fates (well... only Conquest is complete (though I think it is decent for a fanfict), Rev. is outlined, but it feels rushed seeing how I'm restricting myself to the 28 chapter with 6 being pre-route format of the actual games, and Birthright is only up to the halfway point (I need to decide what happens to Iago after a certain somebody joins Nohr and then decides to help Leo kick the scheming Prime Minister to the curb). I also fan-wrote some beorc "enclaves" into Gallia (to make the laguz seem less noble (because they currently look too good vis a vis beorc) by introducing into Gallia a form of beorc slavery). And, despite not having ever played the Jugdral games (I'll wait until the remakes- by the way, can they replace Palmark with Saias in the GotW remake, Final Chapter Valflame sounds so good, also maybe turn Arion into a player unit instead of NPC when Altena chats with him), I've got some fanwriting on the history the Church of Bragi across Jugdral, plus a history of the origins and early days of the Thracian divide. I've also got a BR tier list prepped with detailed arguments for mostly everyone's positions. (Yeah, not joining the site didn't stop me from acting like I did.)

I know that is a bit much of a digression, I just wanted to plead my case. Maybe I won't need (so much) help when a Berwick patch finally shows up (gosh the game seems radically different for a Fire Emblem-styled game, and it appears impossible to steamroll- I like it). Could someone please figure out what the heck I'm doing wrong?

I've been using ePSXe with no problems. In all honesty, it's likely the emulator. Using fresh files, just patch the ISO and you should be good to go. Alternatively, try messing with you plugin settings a bit, as having incompatible settings can prevent the game from loading correctly or even from loading at all. You shouldn't have to edit any of the files yourself unless MultiPatch is vastly different from PPF-o-Matic.