$49.99 USD? ? ?

Midori Sama

Hello everyone,

I just picked up another copy of Awakening, and by the gods, this price has spiked, well at least the GameStop used copies. For the longest it was $34.99, and then recently spiked to $44.99, which is okay for the most part, as some of the older/highly acclaimed games go up a little as it starts to become an aged vintage. 

But not even a month later, it spiked another $5.00 USD, and it honestly caught me off guard. It's officially now the same price as Pokémon Heart Gold, and Soul Silver. My question is this: What warrants this games price spike?

IMG_0806.PNG

I suppose the print run has ended?  I haven't been checking to see if it's still at retail stores.  It might end up like the Tellius games, which ask for over $100 on ebay or Amazon.

A) It's a Japanese game

B) Nintendo

These two things together, and you'll get disproportionately high prices for games that should be $20 at most right now.

Edited by Slumber

supply and demand, just look at the special edition of Fates

and what Rezzy said, the print run ran out, just like Bravely Default

we might see a reprinting like what we saw with Radiant Dawn, though no one really noticed

It's still cheaper than a regular digital copy, too.

It's also possible that now that Fates is a year old and no longer such a hot ticket item, Awakening isn't being overshadowed by the shiny and new, thus contributing to the price spikes.

It's not being printed anymore physically. Which for Japanese games and media in general, they spike in prices.

And yeah, the Tellius games are bull. I am so sad I sold off Path of Radiance. I recently got the craving to play it again and it's like $150 on eBay and Amazon. I bought a physical copy of Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii for a lower price.

No one noticed Radiant Dawn was being reprinted because that game was mediocre. Throws the most difficult chapters at the start of the game, then loleasy with Greil mercenaries. Terrible support system and convoluted storyline. Why I didn't sell that game instead of Path of Radiance... I had new toy syndrome :(

Hopefully we do see Awakening being reprinted though. I was planning to buy a physical copy since I only have digital and want to clear some space in my 3DS, but the hell I am with that kind of price.

On 2/23/2017 at 8:38 AM, Slumber said:

A) It's a Japanese game

B) Nintendo

These two things together, and you'll get disproportionately high prices for games that should be $20 at most right now.

If Nintendo claims FE is a major IP, then they will make Awakening as one of Nintendo selects making it even more cheap.

Also, isn't it insulting to make such bold points like that? It could be something else as well. 

Also, since the game is also on digital and that its cheaper, why not go to that route if the physical copy is no more?

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

If Nintendo claims FE is a major IP, then they will make Awakening as one of Nintendo selects making it even more cheap.

Also, isn't it insulting to make such bold points like that? It could be something else as well. 

Also, since the game is also on digital and that its cheaper, why not go to that route if the physical copy is no more?

You make a statement that basically solidify that it's Nintendo's fault that Awakening is still $40+, then ask me if it's insulting to make those bold points.

Fact is, Nintendo claims that their games "hold value" compared to games by all other developers. They've explicitly stated this, which is why their games only come down in price MAYBE after 4 years, and even then, it's not a guarantee. Then, there's the fact that they don't keep producing niche Japanese games in America as long as other developers do, or the more "mainstream" Nintendo games, leading to the more Japanese Nintendo games not only not coming down in price, but INCREASING, due to smaller supplies.

This is mostly for physical copies, but it also typically covers digital copies, too(That is, if Nintendo offers the games digitally).

Edited by Slumber

2 hours ago, Slumber said:

You make a statement that basically solidify that it's Nintendo's fault that Awakening is still $40+, then ask me if it's insulting to make those bold points.

Fact is, Nintendo claims that their games "hold value" compared to games by all other developers. They've explicitly stated this, which is why their games only come down in price MAYBE after 4 years, and even then, it's not a guarantee. Then, there's the fact that they don't keep producing niche Japanese games in America as long as other developers do, or the more "mainstream" Nintendo games, leading to the more Japanese Nintendo games not only not coming down in price, but INCREASING, due to smaller supplies.

This is mostly for physical copies, but it also typically covers digital copies, too(That is, if Nintendo offers the games digitally).

All of that is true as what you said, but like I said, with the image shown, the digital price is cheaper than that of the physical price so if the OP wanted to buy the cheap route, it should've been the digital one.

Also, selling older games from previous generations are already harder to get and Awakening has reached about four years now. So that is to be expected.

I just bought this game used for 20 bucks from a student. It's worth looking online in Facebook groups or Kijiji, for those who don't know what a good selling price is.

Edit: I looked at his save files for fun. He cleared the game on Normal and Hard, and had a Lunatic save file in Ch5 with Fred at level 10 and everyone else underleveled. Didn't even have Lunatic+, so he probably just gave up and wanted to make a quick buck.

Edited by DaveCozy