Can we use Heroes trends as a basis? (Roster potential)

Jedi

11 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

And here, ladies and gentlemen, is what we call a toxic fan.

Or an elitist. Take your pick.

9 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Veterans like myself are more fans than Veterans like you who refuse to accept the new, and just parade the old.

Both these posts 100%.

It's one thing to prefer the older titles and think that they're better than the 3DS ones. I myself think the older titles are generally better and long to see them get more love. But saying that people who like the newer games more aren't real fans simply because you hate those games is just immature and offensive. THAT is not being a real fan.

However, I would also argue that praising the newer titles and hating on the older ones and saying they don't matter because they weren't popular or anything is also not being a real fan.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Anacybele said:

It's one thing to prefer the older titles and think that they're better than the 3DS ones. I myself think the older titles are generally better and long to see them get more love. But saying that people who like the newer games more aren't real fans simply because you hate those games is just immature and offensive.

Well said, and I mean that 100%. Everyone has preferences, but we have to be tolerant and see why others may like the things they do in this franchise, long running ones like FE change over the course of time and yeah not everyones going to like everything, but we have to be open with the people coming into the fanbase, lest they get a poor impression.

5 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Well said, and I mean that 100%. Everyone has preferences, but we have to be tolerant and see why others may like the things they do in this franchise, long running ones like FE change over the course of time and yeah not everyones going to like everything, but we have to be open with the people coming into the fanbase, lest they get a poor impression.

Yeah, indeed. I only pray that most newer fans don't end up with the mindset that FE should keep having marriage and children and "waifus" and junk. FE is a strategy RPG game about fantasy medieval war, not a fanservicey dating sim. Yet, I do fear that FE might be turning into this due to how forced it was in Fates (the marriage and children had no business existing in it whatsoever and I feel like Fates as a whole tried too hard to replicate Awakening's success) and I'm keeping my expectations of FE Switch low as a result.

Edited by Anacybele

39 minutes ago, Deva Ashera said:

I doubt it, even Hyrule Warriors didn't have characters from every entry of the Zelda series..even after Hyrule Warriors Legends and all the DLC even.

With how many characters there are in Fire Emblem I doubt they can fit a character from every entry in while keeping a good amount of popular choices.

I, for one, think alternate costumes is a fair enough compromise, especially for characters with large simularities in how they'd fight, like Seliph or Leaf for Marth.

Which games? Zelda isn't exactly handled the same way in regards to cast and there's stuff like link between worlds (as it relates to the previous game with a link pun title) and what is considered a main game by the creators/excutives,ect. (Not saying they shouldn't be considered as such, just that I can't really think of fire emblem equivalents) 

Not saying I'm against alternate costumes, but I think it's quite possible to make those units (and other potential scenarios) unique. (But yeah if they aren't in the game marth could possibly represent them, there could be stuff in the moveset that excludes them) 

I'll let better qualified/more comfortable posters handle the stuff related to the part I omitted. 

2 minutes ago, goodperson707 said:

Which games? Zelda isn't exactly handled the same way in regards to cast and there's stuff like link between worlds (as it relates to the previous game with a link pun title) and what is considered a main game by the creators/excutives,ect. (Not saying they shouldn't be considered as such, just that I can't really think of fire emblem equivalents)

The Oracle and Four Sword Zelda games were sadly left out. But that was likely due to copyright issues since Capcom made them. Which sucks, because I LOVE Four Sword Zelda and would've thrown my money at Nintendo get Vaati into my game, damn it. I love Vaati.

There wouldn't be any copyright issues with FE titles so long as IS is completely on board, which they obviously are, so there's no excuse to leave any games out of this.

@Jedi I was watching your video when the Serenes "new reply" bleep surprised me at the same time yours surprised you when you recorded it. Spooky.

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

There wouldn't be any copyright issues with FE titles so long as IS is completely on board, which they obviously are, so there's no excuse to leave any games out of this.

There'd be some issues with TMS. And that's why my girl won't be put in the game.

Mamori.png

6 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

@Jedi I was watching your video when the Serenes "new reply" bleep surprised me at the same time yours surprised you when you recorded it. Spooky.

Haha, now thats timing.

9 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

There'd be some issues with TMS. And that's why my girl won't be put in the game.

Mamori.png

I don't count TMS because it's a spinoff and barely has anything to do with FE.

On 2/26/2017 at 3:29 AM, AmericanBuizel said:

Well then Nintendo can go fuck itself. They're a lousy awful company nowadays and they deserve to go bankrupt for listening to blind sheep and NOT the real fans.

If that's your attitude, you can kindly keep your opinion to yourself, forever.  While you are on Serenes Forest, you WILL cut the "not a real fan" bullshit.

2 hours ago, Gustavos said:

Mamori.png

What in God's name is that monstrosity?

2 hours ago, goodperson707 said:

Not saying I'm against alternate costumes, but I think it's quite possible to make those units (and other potential scenarios) unique. (But yeah if they aren't in the game marth could possibly represent them, there could be stuff in the moveset that excludes them) 

Just to be clear, the initial Hyrule Warriors game had OG incarnations of the mainstays (Link, Zelda, Ganondorf/Ganon), an OG incarnation of the most important reoccuring character after those three (Impa), an OG of someone who's mostly known through Smash (Sheik AKA Zelda's alternate identity), and two characters from Ocarina of Time, three from Twilight Princess, and two from Skyward Sword, in terms of characters from the actual Zelda games (with Sheik and Impa being regarded as OoT and Skyward Sword characters since they take heavy inspiration from the Sheik and Impa of those games). There's also aesthetics and elements taken from the original Legend of Zelda for stuff like Adventure Mode to giant boss designs to weapons, meaning that four games were represented at base. OCs were relegated to one playable character and three characters that were initially unplayable until an update hit (with two of those being based on recurring Zelda enemies). It took until DLC to get representation for Majora's Mask, the making of Legends to get representation for Wind Waker, and the DLC after Legends to get representation for Link's Awakening, Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks, and A Link Between Worlds.

5 hours ago, Slumber said:

The "Knight" of that game.
I kinda like some of the mirage designs for the SMT demon look, but the other character designs are just crazy.

5 hours ago, Slumber said:

The color scheme is off-putting, and the bunny design for the armor is a little eccentric (it has a rabbit tail on the backside), but it isn't terrible. Tsubasa's design is worse, and Kiria's is unexpectedly for her cool and awesome character, awful. 

Eleonora's and Itsuki's Carnage Forms are middle-ground quality. Yashiro's is good if you ignore the stupid tail. Touma's is the best, and shirtless for the ladies. 

And if there is a design you don't like, well you can alway buy a costume and wear that instead. The Mirage designs are generally good (Dark Knight Cain's back spike is ridiculous, Caeda and Draug play it safe) my preferences are for Navarre and Chrom- all three designs are wonderful.

Could someone please post pictures of all the costumes and class changed class designs here on SF by the way?

One problem FE has vs. Zelda is a far, far larger viable character roster. So be patient, getting all the favorites will take longer than it did in Zelda.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

One problem FE has vs. Zelda is a far, far larger viable character roster. So be patient, getting all the favorites will take longer than it did in Zelda.

I don't think theres really a theoretical way of getting all the "Favorites" of FE in one roster in a first warriors game, considering the split fanbase, and the fact that, if we go by popularity alone, quite a number of people will be pissed.

One could even argue that IS isn't interested in appeasing everyone.  This is the same company who made FE Heroes, a game in which they saw fit to release two seperate versions of Lucina over Ike, despite Ike being shown in the first screen of the game!

17 minutes ago, Refa said:

One could even argue that IS isn't interested in appeasing everyone.  This is the same company who made FE Heroes, a game in which they saw fit to release two seperate versions of Lucina over Ike, despite Ike being shown in the first screen of the game!

Add-on to this that Koei usually focuses on the Japanese crowd first, and the roster may be like "Oh those people" and then "What"

See Agatha in Hyrule Warriors lol.

Edited by Jedi

Just now, Jedi said:

Add-on to this that Koei usually focuses on the Japanese crowd first, and the roster may be like "Oh those people" and then "What"

See Agatha in Hyrule Warriors lol.

Marth and Roy confirmed for this game.

I can't think of any other FE games that are significantly more popular in Japan other than FE3 and FE6, though, so chances are that it'll at least meet a lot of Western interest either way (and thanks to Smash, Marth and Roy are fairly popular in the West anyways).  It might not meet my interests, but Warriors isn't exactly my series anyways.

14 minutes ago, Refa said:

Marth and Roy confirmed for this game.

I can't think of any other FE games that are significantly more popular in Japan other than FE3 and FE6, though, so chances are that it'll at least meet a lot of Western interest either way (and thanks to Smash, Marth and Roy are fairly popular in the West anyways).  It might not meet my interests, but Warriors isn't exactly my series anyways.

Yeah, its more our character preferences differ than games.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/ae7j/k_tohyo/index.html Partly anyways.

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The color scheme is off-putting, and the bunny design for the armor is a little eccentric (it has a rabbit tail on the backside), but it isn't terrible. Tsubasa's design is worse, and Kiria's is unexpectedly for her cool and awesome character, awful. 

Eleonora's and Itsuki's Carnage Forms are middle-ground quality. Yashiro's is good if you ignore the stupid tail. Touma's is the best, and shirtless for the ladies. 

And if there is a design you don't like, well you can alway buy a costume and wear that instead. The Mirage designs are generally good (Dark Knight Cain's back spike is ridiculous, Caeda and Draug play it safe) my preferences are for Navarre and Chrom- all three designs are wonderful.

Could someone please post pictures of all the costumes and class changed class designs here on SF by the way?

I hope that at the very least we have some of the Mirage designs as alts, particularly Conqueror Chrom and Sorcerer Tharja. A lot of those designs were really good and it'll suck if they go to waste after only one game.

As far as Heroes trends go, I think, all the characters that made it to the Top 20 in the popularity poll have a good chance of being in. Whether they'll be on the starting roster, unlockable roster, free DLC, paid DLC or whatever, remains to be seen, but I think we'll eventually end up with most of those characters.

12 minutes ago, Jave said:

I hope that at the very least we have some of the Mirage designs as alts, particularly Conqueror Chrom and Sorcerer Tharja. A lot of those designs were really good and it'll suck if they go to waste after only one game.

As far as Heroes trends go, I think, all the characters that made it to the Top 20 in the popularity poll have a good chance of being in. Whether they'll be on the starting roster, unlockable roster, free DLC, paid DLC or whatever, remains to be seen, but I think we'll eventually end up with most of those characters.

I won't mind if Dorcas gets to be playable due to said poll haha.

23 hours ago, AmericanBuizel said:

A real fan is someone that calls out Nintendo for their bullshit and doesn't blindly accept objective garbage. I never said they couldn't play these games, but that doesn't mean they can't expect any fire to come their way when they're the ones buying these games, in turn affecting the franchise for all the other fans. If their purchasing of the newer games didn't affect the franchise at all, it would be a completely different story.

We VETERAN fans are the real fans. Awakening and Fates shouldn't even be considered FE games.

Accept for the simple fact that all fans are humans and thus have different opinions and views. I'll say it hear and now, I prefer the styles of Awakening and Fates more then the older titles and enjoyed them more..and I say this as someone that has played every single game that has released stateside since Blazing Blade along with playing a translated ROM of Binding Blade.

However, you do have one thing correct. Their purchasing of Awakening and Fates DID have an affect on the series...that being SAVING the series. Had they not succeeded we would not be having any new Fire Emblem games at all, let alone any spin-offs like Fire Emblem Warriors. As such, if you'd like, you can happily pretend that was the case and enjoy the older games just as much as before since if you had your way, seemingly, there would be no new Fire Emblem games anyway.

22 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, indeed. I only pray that most newer fans don't end up with the mindset that FE should keep having marriage and children and "waifus" and junk. FE is a strategy RPG game about fantasy medieval war, not a fanservicey dating sim. Yet, I do fear that FE might be turning into this due to how forced it was in Fates (the marriage and children had no business existing in it whatsoever and I feel like Fates as a whole tried too hard to replicate Awakening's success) and I'm keeping my expectations of FE Switch low as a result.

I quite agree. It was fine in Fire Emblem Awakening and suited the story well enough due to Timey-Wimey shenanigans, but it felt out of place in Fire Emblem Fates (regardless of how much I may love some of the child units like Caeldori, Sophie, or Forrest).
I feel like Fire Emblem Echoes may be an attempt by Intelligent Systems to see if the majority of fans will still enjoy the games without those elements.
I also just hate Waifu/Husbando culture to begin with.

22 hours ago, goodperson707 said:

I'll let better qualified/more comfortable posters handle the stuff related to the part I omitted. 

More then it would seem, honestly.
New Incarnations: Link, Zelda, Impa, Sheik, Ganondorf
Hyrule Warriors Originals: Lana, Cia, Wizzro, Volga
Legend of Zelda 1: None Really (not that there were any to pick from)
Zelda II: None Really (Shadow Link kind of but otherwise no good candidates)
Link to the Past: None (Aghanim would be great)
Link's Awakening: Marin
Ocarina of Time: Darunia, Ruto
Majora's Mask: Young Link, Tingle, Skull Kid
Oracle of Seasons/Ages: None (Many good characters)
Four Sword/Adventure: None (Vaati)
Wind Waker: Toon Link, Tetra, King Daphnes, Medli
Minish Cap: None (Vaati)
Twilight Princess: Midna, Zant, Agatha
Phantom Hourglass: None (some good choices)
Spirit Tracks: Spirit Zelda
Skyward Sword: Fi, Ghirahim
Link Between Worlds: Ravio, Yuga

My other idea was having the characters as selectable Classes, like, for instance, choosing Pegasus Knight would then let you choose between various Peg. Knights like Caeda, Florina, and Hinoka, each sharing a moveset but having their own unique animations, voice, entrance, and victory animations.

If Echoes is indeed a sub-series for remakes, we have a good shot at seeing a little bit of everything in Warriors. If not, I would expect the usual 4, 5 and 8 don't exist, most of the cast is the same as Smash plus lots of 3DS and Archanea. Which at least 3DS should include SoV this time around.

But yeah, my hopes for the cast pretty much mirror my hopes for Echoes/remakes.

Still, even if we get a little bit of everything, I don't expect much more than the main characters plus a few favorites from 3DS and Archanea.

It's obvious that it'll keep Japan's favorites in mind but I do see that poll giving some ideas to characters getting picked at the very least the 1-100th choices imo even though most if not all the Lords are giveaways Koei tends to like going with unexpected choices as well.

On 4/24/2017 at 0:26 AM, Deva Ashera said:

However, you do have one thing correct. Their purchasing of Awakening and Fates DID have an affect on the series...that being SAVING the series.

Awakening needed to sell 250,000 to "save the series".
Every previously localized game (and the majority of Japanese-exclusive titles) had blown past that amount.
FE wouldn't be as big as it is today, certainly, but you're grossly overstating the "saved the series" argument.

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

Awakening needed to sell 250,000 to "save the series".
Every previously localized game (and the majority of Japanese-exclusive titles) had blown past that amount.
FE wouldn't be as big as it is today, certainly, but you're grossly overstating the "saved the series" argument.

Got a source for that 250000 figure? If it was that small, I doubt any of Awakenings developers would be expressing their concerns as gravely as they do in every interview that mentions awakening. They were seriously convinced it was the last game, and they would get outsold by Thraccia?