Can the human body accumulate fat from a single day?

Zerxen

My family had some visitors over today and we ordered a lot of food, problem is I consumed too much of it. I ate about 3/4 an order of Sweet and Sour Shrimp AND Beef with Oyster Sauce as well as half an order of Fish with Black Bean Sauce. I do not normally eat this much, but my appetite had skyrocketed and considered this day a "cheat". I did not eat this all in one meal, it was split between lunch and dinner. Between meals I craved sugar and ate an Eggo waffle and a slice of Chocolate Mousse cake. I weight 135 lbs and stand at 5"5. 

Not in a single day, your body will excrete what it doesn't use. If your poop floats in the water, that is where all the fat is. 

Your body is accustomed to a certain weight/build, and its kind of like a thermostat. Your body will do its best to return to that normal state of being 135 and 5"5'. This is why losing/gaining weight is so difficult as you're fighting your body's natural tendency to stay constant. Of course, it is easier for some people to gain weight faster depending on how strong the bacteria in your gut is. 

Edited by Mimikyu

9 minutes ago, Mimikyu said:

Not in a single day, your body will excrete what it doesn't use. If your poop floats in the water, that is where all the fat is. 

Your body is accustomed to a certain weight/build, and its kind of like a thermostat. Your body will do its best to return to that normal state of being 135 and 5"5'. This is why losing/gaining weight is so difficult as you're fighting your body's natural tendency to stay constant. Of course, it is easier for some people to gain weight faster depending on how strong the bacteria in your gut is. 

I heard of something known as caloric overload where the body cannot process an excess number of calories abruptly. Is this theory in play? Also is this why competitive eaters seldom gain weight from all the challenges they do? Anyways, I thought 3500 calories make a lb- do the excess calories have to accumulate over a long period of time in order to gain a lb?

Edited by Zerxen
Need to add in info

3 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Technically yes, but it's not going to be even remotely noticeable unless you eat that way every day for probably a week or two.

Good to know. I binge eat once a week on junk- mostly sugar. I guess this explains why my weight manages to stay in the same ballpark.

On 25/2/2017 at 1:28 AM, Mimikyu said:

That's actually pretty sound, as it wouldn't make sense for those people who partake in "8000 calorie challenges" to process all that fat in a single day. 

With that out of the way, I think you're being kind of silly. I see you post these topics on ocassion, and you remind me a lot of my 2014 dieting phase. It's not going to be detrimental if you fuck up and eat a 2000-calorie surplus one day (you know, instead of a consistent surplus on most)

Look, if you want to maintain, just continue your usual excercise regime and eat somewhere around maintaince (if you don't feel like it, don't). Can't wait to the day where I actually stop doing this.

5 hours ago, Soul~! said:

That's actually pretty sound, as it wouldn't make sense for those people who partake in "8000 calorie challenges" to process all that fat in a single day. 

With that out of the way, I think you're being kind of silly. I see you post these topics on ocassion, and you remind me a lot of my 2014 dieting phase. It's not going to be detrimental if you fuck up and eat a 2000-calorie surplus one day (you know, instead of a consistent surplus on most)

Look, if you want to maintain, just continue your usual excercise regime and eat somewhere around maintaince (if you don't feel like it, don't). Can't wait to the day where I actually stop doing this.

I do realize this. Would having a calorie surplus once a week be bad? I tend to eat really healthy a vast majority of the week and have complete control over my appetite, however on the weekends I kinda say "fuck it" to myself and overeat/ binge on foods. I don't consider this to be an ED since I stop eating once I feel stuffed and I don't vomit it out.

I wouldn't be surprised if what you eat during the week contains too little fat and sugar, and you end up craving(needing) fatty food and sugary stuff.

BTW if this is the case(probably is) then you're in the ballpark of eating disorder. You're trying to deny yourself things that you need and end up overeating to compensate. (You don't need to puke things out after binging to make it boulimia nervosa)

Edited by Excellen Browning

Hey there, I've noticed that you've made a couple of these threads in the last few months. I feel that you may be perhaps a tad obsessed with the likes of diet, weight and calories - this isn't the first time you've come seeking advice over a relatively trivial matter. It may be best if you speak to a health professional about your worries, it is likely that you've got a lot of anxieties and obsessive thoughts tied to eating and weight, and SF isn't necessarily the best place to get proper advice.

10 hours ago, Excellen Browning said:

I wouldn't be surprised if what you eat during the week contains too little fat and sugar, and you end up craving(needing) fatty food and sugary stuff.

BTW if this is the case(probably is) then you're in the ballpark of eating disorder. You're trying to deny yourself things that you need and end up overeating to compensate. (You don't need to puke things out after binging to make it boulimia nervosa)

I disagree, I actually allow some fat and sugar throughout the week. I sneak some foods like waffles, pastries, and sugary cereal here and there.

Those shouldn't be your main source of fats and sugars. pls do me a favour and keep a diary of what you eat throughout a week for a while and come back to me/shin/rezzy, and we'll see if you're missing out on things. I'm currently expecting you are.

1 minute ago, Excellen Browning said:

Those shouldn't be your main source of fats and sugars. pls do me a favour and keep a diary of what you eat throughout a week for a while and come back to me/shin/rezzy, and we'll see if you're missing out on things. I'm currently expecting you are.

What should be a source of fats and sugars be? Also, I am not keeping track of what foods I am eating. When I say "overeat" I don't mean stuffing my face with sugary foods, I mean eating foods more than what their serving size constitutes.

fats: dairy products(milk, cheese, butter, cream, yogurt etc), soybean products, avocado, meat and fish, meat and fish replacements and nuts. And the oils you use to bake, deepfry, make salad dressings with, etc.

sugars, or to be more precise, carbohydrates: bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, gnocchi, beans, root vegetables, bulgur, couscous, fruits in general and basically everything that also contains fats. You can also intake sugars through cookies and other sweet things, but my general advice is to keep that to a max of several hundred calories a day.

20 minutes ago, Excellen Browning said:

fats: dairy products(milk, cheese, butter, cream, yogurt etc), soybean products, avocado, meat and fish, meat and fish replacements and nuts. And the oils you use to bake, deepfry, make salad dressings with, etc.

sugars, or to be more precise, carbohydrates: bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, gnocchi, beans, root vegetables, bulgur, couscous, fruits in general and basically everything that also contains fats. You can also intake sugars through cookies and other sweet things, but my general advice is to keep that to a max of several hundred calories a day.

I consume a cup of rice, two slices of whole wheat bread, a  tbsp of olive oil, a glass of dairy milk, apples, bananas, prunes, and veggies daily. Is this sufficient?

Edited by Zerxen

9 minutes ago, Excellen Browning said:

that is really too little.

How much more should I be eating daily? This is not everything I eat in a day, just in regards to fats and sugars.

Edited by Zerxen

That depends on how many fruits and veggies you eat daily.

The amount of calories you should strve to consume varies between men and women, lifestyle, genetics and afaik also where you live in the world. For men it can between 2000-3000kcal (3500 or more for extreme amounts of physical activity) a day, and an average of 2500kcal. For women 1600-2400kcal (2800 or more for extreme amounts of physical activity) and an average of 2100kcal.

In your case:

1 bowl of rice (200gram): 290kcal

2 slices of whole wheat bread (70gram): 160kcal

1tbsp of olive oil(10gram): 90kcal

1 glass of milk (150gram): 155kcal

This is the part I can easily quantify, so I'll take this as the basis of your diet, and it amounts to 700kcal per day. This means you need to get at least 1300kcal if you're male, 900kcal if you're female from the fruits and veggies that you eat.

1 apple (120gram): 70kcal

1 banana (130gram): 124kcal

1 prune (40gram): 20kcal

Veggies are generally low in caloric content, and there's a buttload of them, so I'll ignore them for now.

If you're male you would need to eat at least 18 apples, or 11 bananas, or 65 prunes to meet your daily caloric needs.

If you're female you would need to eat at least 13 apples, or 8 bananas, or 45 prunes to meet your daily caloric needs.

I don't know how much fruit you eat daily, but it looks to me like you're eating at most half of what you should be.

EDIT: this is obviously only aimed at caloric needs, but if this is your diet, you're hardly getting any proteins and essential amino acids at all (WHICH ARE ESSENTIAL) and you're low on fats.

Edited by Excellen Browning

1 hour ago, Excellen Browning said:

The amount of calories you should strve to consume varies between men and women, lifestyle, genetics and afaik also where you live in the world. For men it can between 2000-3000kcal (3500 or more for extreme amounts of physical activity) a day, and an average of 2500kcal. For women 1600-2400kcal (2800 or more for extreme amounts of physical activity) and an average of 2100kcal.

In your case:

This is the part I can easily quantify, so I'll take this as the basis of your diet, and it amounts to 700kcal per day. This means you need to get at least 1300kcal if you're male, 900kcal if you're female from the fruits and veggies that you eat.

Veggies are generally low in caloric content, and there's a buttload of them, so I'll ignore them for now.

If you're male you would need to eat at least 18 apples, or 11 bananas, or 65 prunes to meet your daily caloric needs.

If you're female you would need to eat at least 13 apples, or 8 bananas, or 45 prunes to meet your daily caloric needs.

I don't know how much fruit you eat daily, but it looks to me like you're eating at most half of what you should be.

EDIT: this is obviously only aimed at caloric needs, but if this is your diet, you're hardly getting any proteins and essential amino acids at all (WHICH ARE ESSENTIAL) and you're low on fats.

Thanks for the in-depth response. I implement some meats during my lunch and dinner meals. 

Here is my usual diet:

Breakfast:

-Bowl of Quaker Oats oatmeal (amount varies as i do not measure; about 2/3 cup)

-Sugarfree Jam

Mid morning snack

-Apples

Lunch

-Sandwich with 2 slices of bread, a slice of Bar S Turkey, and a slice of Kraft cheese.

Afternoon snack

-Bean tacos, oatmeal, cereal, prunes, whatever I feel like eating.

Dinner

-Cup of Rice

-Cup of Spinach

-Veggie and meat stirfry, sometimes baked fish, sometimes pasta, never the same meal.

Edited by Zerxen

15 hours ago, Zerxen said:

I do realize this. Would having a calorie surplus once a week be bad? I tend to eat really healthy a vast majority of the week and have complete control over my appetite, however on the weekends I kinda say "fuck it" to myself and overeat/ binge on foods. I don't consider this to be an ED since I stop eating once I feel stuffed and I don't vomit it out.

Depends on how much, on either of those. If you're burning "only" about half a pound of fat/1700+kcal and you go on a 1000-2000 binge, it goes without saying (aka bad). 

Looking into Intermittent Fasting. It's insane. If you're pretty sure you'll be going on some sort of binge or "cheat meal" (notice I don't say day), it's not a bad a idea to go on a fast until then. I think I sort of fasted for one of New Years or Christmas, and I only ended up eating like 1500 calories or so (and pretty comfterbly, too).

10 hours ago, Excellen Browning said:

In your case:

2,500 is average for a growing male specifically. Generally with the sedentary lifestyle most lead the average caloric requirement is now about 2,000. 

Agree on everything else though, caloric needs are not the only thing you need to watch for, and you should avoiding cutting too many out in the first place. Most dieticians recommend a maximum healthy weight loss of ~10lbs a month

12 hours ago, Zerxen said:

Thanks for the in-depth response. I implement some meats during my lunch and dinner meals. 

Here is my usual diet:

Breakfast:

-Bowl of Quaker Oats oatmeal (amount varies as i do not measure; about 2/3 cup)

-Sugarfree Jam

Mid morning snack

-Apples

Lunch

-Sandwich with 2 slices of bread, a slice of Bar S Turkey, and a slice of Kraft cheese.

Afternoon snack

-Bean tacos, oatmeal, cereal, prunes, whatever I feel like eating.

Dinner

-Cup of Rice

-Cup of Spinach

-Veggie and meat stirfry, sometimes baked fish, sometimes pasta, never the same meal.

If this is your diet, this is more in line with what you need, I estimate about 1800-2000kcal. (which is still low if you're male, or an active female) Your afternoon snack can easily be something like cookies, pastry, chips, etc. I might even recommend it.

What a complex question with so many answers most of which are shades of grey and relativity.  As most folks pointed out you're not going to get fat overnight and so long as this isn't something you do frequently you have nothing to worry about.  But relatively speaking if you gorge one day, your body is technically making some fat cells.  And if you gorge all day, ALOT, then you're going to make more fat than if you had eaten less.  None the less there are limits to how much fat your body can make from the food you digest.  And as folks pointed out as that limit is hit the rest of that fat, protein, sugar and carbs just ends up in the toilet untouched.  

So simple answer, you made some extra fat today, but not much.  You'll live <3

3 hours ago, Katrisa said:

What a complex question with so many answers most of which are shades of grey and relativity.  As most folks pointed out you're not going to get fat overnight and so long as this isn't something you do frequently you have nothing to worry about.  But relatively speaking if you gorge one day, your body is technically making some fat cells.  And if you gorge all day, ALOT, then you're going to make more fat than if you had eaten less.  None the less there are limits to how much fat your body can make from the food you digest.  And as folks pointed out as that limit is hit the rest of that fat, protein, sugar and carbs just ends up in the toilet untouched.  

So simple answer, you made some extra fat today, but not much.  You'll live <3

Pretty much the consensus here. IDK why people are beating a dead horse here.