Idea for skill management

Lord Tullus

Now, I don't know if anyone gave this specific Idea before, but I'm going to throw it out there anyway.

I would like it if skills worked like this: there are only slots for 3 skills at a time.
1: Personal skills.  These skills will always stay with the unit, and cannot be unassigned. Each character can only have one personal skill.

2: Class skills.  These skills can be assigned and unassigned, being learned at level 7 for each class, promoted or unpromoted.  When a unit has been reclassed or promoted, and they reach level seven, the unit will have the option to either un-assign the current class skill in exchange for learning the new one, or to keep the current class skill they have. (For example, say the class skill you keep is vantage, the myrmidon class skill, and the class skill you refuse is Smite, the Brigand Class skill.  This makes a particular unit a brigand/bandit class with vantage, but is not able to have smite)

3: Special skills.  These skills are either mastery skills learned through items (like in Path of Radiance/Thracia) or skills acquired through special events (Mareeta's Astra in FE 5) or through inheritance if there are parent/child generations.

For the sake of keeping things balanced, I'd like only 3 skills on a unit at maximum.  I also feel that, similar to what Awakening did, each unit should have an "unassigned" reserve slot for one skill.  And the skills can be swapped between battles or at a base, and each character gets only one slot.
 In short, this "Unassigned skill" slot should be there to hold any skill that was stored and not dropped.  You can swap out a current skill for the one in reserve, which goes to its respective skill slot (class or special).  

Is this a feasible way for skills to be implemented?  Or is there a specific way that an existing game handled skills that you'd like to return?

Edited by Lord Tullus

Just bring back Radiant Dawn's system. It's kind of crazy they only actually went with the idea of capacity and reassignable skills once. Path of Radiance would have been good if not for the fact that you lose skills completely by unequipping them :/

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Just bring back Radiant Dawn's system. It's kind of crazy they only actually went with the idea of capacity and reassignable skills once. Path of Radiance would have been good if not for the fact that you lose skills completely by unequipping them :/

Yeah I have to agree here though I feel it could gain some improvements from the newer system with class skills no longer being part of the capacity as that severely hampered some units more so than others. Maybe they could act like personal skills in that regard? I guess my view would be 

Personal skill(free) Class skill(one for every class) assignable skills(set capacity) with ideally a large set of scrolls that can be acquired and assigned with differing amounts of each. I know I basically played RD stripping down everyone but those I planned to use so the RD system wasn't without flaws...

The other option would be to take the newer skill library and limits system and allow skills  to be learned via multiple means as well as be removed and traded to other units.(A support sharing system also has come to mind say what if getting an A support allows two units to pick one of the other skills to learn?(naturally it would not be with a everyone supports everyone system...)