1. 1. Should supports end in marriage?

• Yes, they should
    • Only some should
    • None should

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't take the whole "only four conversations" too literally. I do think characters should be able to marry, but with limits. When I first got into FE, I felt it was overdone how childhood friends or the like pretty much always ended up together. Not like it's done with every single character.

Some should end in marriage, and some shouldn't. It'd be silly for all of them to end in marriage. Not every pair of friends gets married. Some same-sex and opposite-sex pairs should just stay friends. We especially need more platonic opposite-sex relationships. It feels like these days, IS thinks nearly every opposite-sex relationship HAS to be able to end in marriage. :/

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Some should end in marriage, and some shouldn't. It'd be silly for all of them to end in marriage. Not every pair of friends gets married. Some same-sex and opposite-sex pairs should just stay friends. We especially need more platonic opposite-sex relationships. It feels like these days, IS thinks nearly every opposite-sex relationship HAS to be able to end in marriage. :/

I wish Micaiah x Sothe and Jill x Haar had remained platonic.

Just now, Rezzy said:

Yeah, I wouldn't have minded that. I wish Geoffrey x Elincia had been platonic too, while Ike x Elincia had been the romance.

14 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

11 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Better worded than I...

5 minutes ago, Hoshidokoala said:

I wouldn't mind it at all, particularly if there were no children implemented in afterwards, although I would like there to be more same-sex couples and as people have said, more opposite-sex friendships.

Yeah, the Lesbian options in Fates are pretty bad.  You get creepy-stalker Rhajat or overly aggressive Soleil, who you can't even marry if you wanted to.

15 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Shoot, I tend to forget that last one. Haar is easily at least twice her age. 

As for the topic at hand, I'm not sure. I don't think the marriage epilogues outside of Alm and Celica's should be taken too seriously given how no characters actually interact; the closest we get is May saying - to Celica - that Boyd is unreliable because he doesn't know Thunder magic yet. However, I don't want there to be forced romance either - there should be some platonic epilogues as well if you ask me.

As long as the "Marriage" support doesn't feel forced or rushed, I'm fine with it.

But I believe having both platonic and romance options are important.

"While you can fall in love with anybody there can not be room for everybody" or something like that.

I feel like some should end in marriage, like the ones that get together after the game is finished. However, I don`t think all of them need to end this way. It would be nice to have some opposite-sex supports that end with them just being friends, though others have already said this. Also, I hope that the ones that do end in marriage don`t feel rushed or forced.

I think, that as this being a game whose original had canon pairings, it should stay that way. I would say that since they didn't disrupt canon pairings in the Archanea remakes they then shouldn't here either; but they were done before Awakening, so it might not serve as a good precedence case. Anyway, supports could be done to flesh out the pairings, in that case.

Leave all the other stuff (multiple pairings choices, same-sex relationships, possible child units, etc) for the eventual FE Switch. But here, just let it be how it was. Make the thing better, don't throw it away and start a new one.

I don't think S-Supports should result in immediate marriage. It's simply way to rushed to feature both the confession and the proposal in the same scene, especially if the CBA-Supports can't have too much romantic build-up (because it would be awkward for such romantic tensions to happen if one or both participants in the Support are already married to someone else).

I think S-Supports should be handled similarly to A-Supports in FE6-10. A Character could only have five Support Conversations per playthrough, meaning they could get only one A-Rank, and these A-Ranks would sometimes result in a paired ending, which could be platonic or romantic. My idea is that only a few options in a character's support pool could possibly reach an S-Rank. These conversations will then be the beginning of a lifelong bond that is further eleborated on in the epilogue. Two characters could promise to stick together in there S-Support, and the epilogue then states that they became famous for their shared exploits, another Conversation contains a love confession, and the response is initially left ambiguous, but the epilogue describes how the two characters ultimately got married after the war.

1 hour ago, Night Zap said:

I don't think S-Supports should result in immediate marriage. It's simply way to rushed to feature both the confession and the proposal in the same scene, especially if the CBA-Supports can't have too much romantic build-up (because it would be awkward for such romantic tensions to happen if one or both participants in the Support are already married to someone else).

I think S-Supports should be handled similarly to A-Supports in FE6-10. A Character could only have five Support Conversations per playthrough, meaning they could get only one A-Rank, and these A-Ranks would sometimes result in a paired ending, which could be platonic or romantic. My idea is that only a few options in a character's support pool could possibly reach an S-Rank. These conversations will then be the beginning of a lifelong bond that is further eleborated on in the epilogue. Two characters could promise to stick together in there S-Support, and the epilogue then states that they became famous for their shared exploits, another Conversation contains a love confession, and the response is initially left ambiguous, but the epilogue describes how the two characters ultimately got married after the war.

to be honest I would rather as many supports as possible to experience each character's full personality, however having only a few per character to be able to marry

3 hours ago, Thane said:

Shoot, I tend to forget that last one. Haar is easily at least twice her age. 

To be fair, there are a number of relationships actual history with large age differences but were happy nonetheless. Plus, it had been implied beforehand. For these reasons I don't really mind Sothe x Michaiah either (Shakespeare was 18 when he married his then 26-year old wife, and, despite what the movie Shakespeare in Love might suggest, there's no evidence that Shakespeare's marriage was in any way an unhappy one; just the opposite in fact). It certainly is a bit odd, but not so odd that it makes no sense.

As far as romantic supports, I feel that s-supports should exist, but only some. It should not be like Awakening/Fates. Also, I agree that the s-support shouldn't always be the guy proposing (I could maybe see it for Alm and Celica); most should just be them starting a relationship, and that support conversations in general should imply that the two people are more interactions between the two people, that happened between the three-to-four conversations, one great example from Path of Radiance being Largo and Muarim's friendly weightlifting competition that included lifting large hams and even members of the audience. I definitely agree that there should be more platonic pairings, though wouldn't those simply be a-rank supports?

Some do some don't would be the best. I want to see some more platonic endings, and some better solo endings, but other than that I wouldn't mind a god bit of marriages. It's a natural progression. Just not overboard like Fates, where every ending was paired. That caused some huge conflicts in endings.

I echo the majority: some supports can end in romance and some shouldn't. I don't mind if two characters that reached a high support rank got some lines that hinted at a relationship during in-game narrative, but I would rather have romantic, solo and companion endings. 

Also, can we have a few more ambiguous relationships? Granted, it might ignite shipping wars, but I appreciate the subtle, rather thin line between a romantic relationship and a platonic one. For the perfect example, the Chrom/M!Robin support could be read as both platonic and romantic, depending on the viewpoint of the reader. I mean, they could have simply added a S-rank and confession scene, and it would have made for a better Chrom/F!Robin support than what we actually got.

Edited by saisymbolic
clarification

3 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Yeah, the Lesbian options in Fates are pretty bad.  You get creepy-stalker Rhajat or overly aggressive Soleil, who you can't even marry if you wanted to.

This one clearly never use Soleil.

A big nope. I prefer marriage be only shipping by fans than actual support thing. Fates make a terrible work by its too many characters can marriage that make very poor supports. I like supports and also like no limit supports but I dislike poor write supports. I don't unlock support for the sake of bonus stats but enjoy the background of characters. Marriage do nothing about that. The only marriage that I approve is the canon one.

7 minutes ago, SpearOfLies said:

This one clearly never use Soleil.

I'm not sure what you mean.  Her Ophelia Convo shows she'll keep hitting on you, even if you make it clear you're not into it.  The original Forrest was also pretty cringey.

I'm hoping that, if there are S-Supports in this game, that instead of being instant marriage they're just indicative of entering a romantic relationship, and the marriage is saved for the paired endings. Especially since the whole reason S-Supports ended in marriage in Awakening and Fates is because of the children, and children hopefully probably won't be in Echoes.

Just now, Rezzy said:

I'm not sure what you mean.  Her Ophelia Convo shows she'll keep hitting on you, even if you make it clear you're not into it.  The original Forrest was also pretty cringey.

You cannot marry Soleil with Corrin female.

Edited by SpearOfLies