Poll: Should the lord be of royal lineage?

Royal lord?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Royal lord?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but should not have a kingdom
    • No, but should become a king/queen
    • I don't care, so long as the story is good (added later)

Being not just a royal but heir apparent adds a lot more weight to all the choices they have to make and what not so I'd say that the Lord doesn't have to be a royal nor even a noble but I prefer it when they are (and when they are the actual protagonist of the game) with the aforementioned reason being why I have said preference.

Edited by RedEyedDrake

It honestly doesn't matter to me. The next "lord" character could be a king/queen, prince(ess), minor noblility, a squire, a mercenary, a thief, a commoner or a poor peasant for all that I care―all I ask is that they and their story be handled with common sense. For example, the poor peasant, thief and commoner would likely have trouble recruiting nobility into their cause (unless they were like Ike :dry:) because they lack status or have a seedy background.

I just want stuff to make sense the next game, that's all I want.

The lord concept is getting boring, to be honest. There are things that could shake it up, but there are only so many ways you can write stories/characters when all of them start with "Young lord and his/her retainers and are minding their own business and then shit gets real". Or, for cases where the person doesn't even know they're royal, or they deliberately leave their family, there are only so many ways you could write a story before it ends with them becoming king/queen/whatever of Whateversland.

Maybe if we got a lord like Raven, I'd be down. A lord whose family was destroyed, out for bitter revenge. You know, just so long as it turns out that the lord's parents didn't kill themselves like with Raven.

But otherwise, normal dudes and dudettes getting put into major conflicts is way more compelling to me at this point.

Edited by Slumber

No, we need more lords like Ike, who are different and fresh. The blue-haired sword-wielding prince is so boring and generic these days. At the very least, give me a female lord without blue hair who has her own spotlight and doesn't get it taken away by a fricken man.

I'd pick a 5 option, which is: I don't care, as long as they tell a good story.  Like mentioned, Ike is the standard bearer for non-royal Lord, but I'll take the story on its merits and whether the Lord is royal/noble or not doesn't factor into my evaluation of the game.

Yes, it's something that in my opinion, sets FE apart from other RPGs, whose protagonists are either chosen ones or nobodies who ended up getting involved in the plot through sheer circustances, the problem people seem to have doesn't seem to actually be the idea, but the execution, most Lords in the series are generically heroic and kind-hearted teenage boys and girls, you could replace them with the protagonist of a 80s Mecha anime and no one would even notice, but the fact is there are a lot of different things you can do with a protagonist who is of royal lineage. And FE has explored far from even a fraction of these ideas.

Edited by OakTree

What I really want is a "lord" character who is supposed to be married to another kingdom's heir and is raised together with their betrothed but war breaks out and they have to choose who they are going to support their own country or the country they grew up in.  I feel like Fates story would have been better if they had done something like that instead of the whole kidnapping thing.  Things like that happened some times and it would be rather interesting to see it done if it is done right. 

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

The lord concept is getting boring, to be honest. There are things that could shake it up, but there are only so many ways you can write stories/characters when all of them start with "Young lord and his/her retainers and are minding their own business and then shit gets real". Or, for cases where the person doesn't even know they're royal, or they deliberately leave their family, there are only so many ways you could write a story before it ends with them becoming king/queen/whatever of Whateversland.

Maybe if we got a lord like Raven, I'd be down. A lord whose family was destroyed, out for bitter revenge. You know, just so long as it turns out that the lord's parents didn't kill themselves like with Raven.

But otherwise, normal dudes and dudettes getting put into major conflicts is way more compelling to me at this point.

I agree. I'd rather have a non-royal lord. BUT, if we're going to have one of royal blood, a "fallen from grace" lord would be interesting. Raven was one of the most intriguing characters in FE7, so I'd like to see more of that approach to storytelling.

I don't really mind either way. Just tell a good story. Nobles are logical candidates for commanders of armies in settings which have them (which to date FE always has) but not the only possibilities.

If we do have another lord who isn't a noble, please don't make him a kid who inherits his authority directly from his deceased dad, because that misses the entire point of making someone not a noble.

2 hours ago, Rezzy said:

I'd pick a 5 option, which is: I don't care, as long as they tell a good story.  Like mentioned, Ike is the standard bearer for non-royal Lord, but I'll take the story on its merits and whether the Lord is royal/noble or not doesn't factor into my evaluation of the game.

This really.

Please add this option to the poll, OP.

If the protagonist is a lord of noble linage, just make him/her interesting.  All the Female protagonists (Not counting female Corrin) have taken side/duel roles, and the male counter part has always been sort of hot headed or quick to action.
Personally, I'd like an experimental protagonist that throws moral grey right back into the series, because quite a bit of morality as of late is mostly black and white.  If you haven't seen my posts about my preference for a future lord character, I'd like either a bow lord (bows from the get go) or a lord who is a dangerous criminal, with no royal linage. (Can't be any worse than Conquest Corrin, amirite?)

6 hours ago, RedEyedDrake said:

Being not just a royal but heir apparent adds a lot more weight to all the choices they have to make and what not so I'd say that the Lord doesn't have to be a royal nor even a noble but I prefer it when they are (and when they are the actual protagonist of the game) with the aforementioned reason being why I have said preference.

Speaking of exceptions, here's a thought. Did we ever get an actual king as our protagonist other than Marth during the War of Heroes? Chrom doesn't count.

I agree with this. Other than Marth the only other king/queen we've had as a protagonist is Elincia in RD Part 2, which is the sort of story I want for the next FE. We've had games about lords, but nothing about actually being a lord, the challenges and hard decisions a leader of a nation has to make. Elincia has rebuild Crimea after a devastating war that left her as its unprepared queen, dealing with the revival of their old enemy Daein under the son of the very king who had laid waste to her country just three years ago. She has to fight her own people, who earnestly believe she is doing wrong, and the machinations of a duke who claims noble intentions. She finds herself forced to sacrifice her own adoptive sister for the sake of her country, understanding that she must put Crimea before herself.