Should shamans (summoners) be changed?

I don't like the fact that the summon count was random, and that the summoners could choose not to summon anything at all. It should probably be a fixed value, like 4 or so, which seems to be the median experience, taking into account the range of 0-8 i think in addition to choosing not to attempt to do it.

Also, call me a dick, but it'd be cool if the summoned enemies didn't vanish if you killed the summoner. :P

@Hardin, the priest-type units on your team can learn to summon shadow soldiers which are functionally the same thing. I thought it was a great mechanic.

Yeah, just stabilize the amount.

I've read complaints that the random nature could make fights a breeze or a nightmare depending on RNG, so while it may tone down the difficulty to make it a rigid amount to summon, I think it may be a nice longterm improvement.

I think it would actually make it harder in a sense to stabilize it. Sometimes, I'd go into a fight, fail, and then try again, only to have the summoners choose not to spawn anything, or only spawn very few units, and then the fight was easy. I actually felt a little cheated, since I wanted to figure out how to beat the chapter with the summoners  doing what they were supposed to do. It's a little undesirable when the fastest way through is to keep trying until the AI makes a mistake, especially when I feel I could have figured out how to deal with it for real.

If IS adds difficulty settings more similar to future instalments (Not the normal, paragon mode choice in og gaiden), maybe they could make the summon amount consistent, as suggested above, but also change that amount per difficulty? (2 on normal, 4 on hard, 6 or 8 on lunatic, est.) I could see that being a cool change to many summoner maps, but I could also see the enemy density becoming ridiculous on higher difficulties. 

Regardless, consistent amounts of summoned enemies would go far in making summoners more fair and more fun.

4 hours ago, Galap said:

@Hardin, the priest-type units on your team can learn to summon shadow soldiers which are functionally the same thing. I thought it was a great mechanic.

I know, but the aesthetic is important. Silque and the others are like any other clerics, but I want someone who looks like they came our of a swamp. 

On 2/26/2017 at 9:40 PM, Hardin said:

I know, but the aesthetic is important. Silque and the others are like any other clerics, but I want someone who looks like they came our of a swamp. 

New character opportunity?